Book Publisher

Tomissan

I am searching for a reputable book publisher/printer in Thailand.

If anyone has knowledge or first hand experience I would very much appreciate the information.

'sorry Mods if I posted this in the wrong place'

A few details might help.

The publisher will arrange the printing either by himself or with another firm.

But what area, fiction, religion, educational etc?

Roger

There are no English-language publishers in Thailand worthy of the name. Once upon a time, Asia Books published a few titles in English, even if they mostly dumped them on the back shelves after they did so, but they are no longer in the publishing business at all. There are also a couple of local English-language authors who self-publish under company names, but those companies aren't real publishers who publish other authors.

There are no English-language publishers in Thailand worthy of the name. Once upon a time, Asia Books published a few titles in English, even if they mostly dumped them on the back shelves after they did so, but they are no longer in the publishing business at all. There are also a couple of local English-language authors who self-publish under company names, but those companies aren't real publishers who publish other authors.

Thanks 'OldAsiaHand' for the reply. Looks like I'll have to do it the 'old fashion way'; edit, print and distribute myself....Cheers

Thanks 'OldAsiaHand' for the reply. Looks like I'll have to do it the 'old fashion way'; edit, print and distribute myself....Cheers

Oh, this s*cks! I was hoping someone would recommend a few reputable English-language publishers. Ah, well.

I've just finished my first 'fiction' book, and I think it's a good one. (I've shown it to a few friends who wrote for Houghton and Mifflin, and quiet a few seem to think that it's a good one! Of course, there's a difference between textbook authors and fiction writers! hehehehhehe)

Very easy to say "publish it yourself'.

But....as the world evolves - things aren't cheap - for one.

Let's look at the reality of self-publishing a book in Thailand-

The spent time on writing the darned thing, editing it, printing it - now you are looking at at least 5,000. Next, you are gonna have to have well-known bookstores try to sell it for you. Just....how many copies are DK and Asia books actually going to buy?? The market in Thailand is very limited and...it is already saturated with English langauge novels etc...

What about promotion?

Are you a well-known author/journalist?

Do you write/work/own a popular website?

In contrary to what has been commented before, there are a lot of publishers in Thailand - try them out first - if they don't buy, well - go ahead and self-publish (if you wish to take the risk)

Edited by stevesuphan

A few years ago, Asia Books promoted the books that it published very well with posters and reviews and interviews.

I know a guy that published his first book with them and it did so well that he got international publishers interested and has a bunch of internationally published non-fiction books to his credit now and doesn't have to work other jobs to get by.

He is a real writer! :o

Dear Forum,

How are you?

If there are no publishers based in Thaland are there representatives of the major publishers?

Are there literary agents?

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

There's really no such thing as 'a representative of a major publisher,' at least not for purposes of the submission of new material. And all literary agents worthy of the name who represent English-language authors function in relation to the publishing industries of specific countries. Literary agents can therefore be found in the US or (to a very much lesser degree) in the UK. Well, to be entirely accurate, there are a small number of people in Australia who style themselves as literary agents, too, but the publishing industry in Australia is both very small and very insular. Unless you are Australian, you will not have any real chance to be recognized there.

The good news is that American literary agents will consider your efforts regardless of your national origin since the American publishing business is quite universal. The UK publishing business is more like Australia -- the fact that you are, or are not, British matters considerably and they aren't generally keen to work with new authors who aren't.

There are a world of sources online and in directories to help you locate literary agents to which you may submit inquires to generate interest in your masterpiece. The truth, of course, is that the odds against you are overwhelming -- not because you are in Thailand and they are in American, but because the odds against everyone are overwhelming.

......In contrary to what has been commented before, there are a lot of publishers in Thailand....

Oh, really?

Since you're apparently so knowledgeable and the rest of us are so wrong, why would you make a statement like this and fail to give even a single name or contact for all these publishers you claim to know about?

There are indeed a lot of publishers in Thailand, of course, but they publish exclusively Thai-lanaguage material (as well as a very limited amount of Chinese and Japanese language material), not English-language material.

If you know better, give us some specifics instead of just lecturing us about how smart you are. We're all ears.