Medical Certificate for OA

The Thai Embassy in Stockholm, Sweden, rejects certificates issued by a licensed doctor in Thailand. They only accept certificates from Swedish doctors.

Han anyone heard something similar in other countries?

Not clear to me what the problem is here. Surely more convenient for OA visa applicants to obtain the necessary medical certificate in their home country rather than having to make a special trip to Thailand for this purpose!

BTW...I obtained a medical certificate for my OA application in AU. The application was rejected because the medical form did not have a stamp from the doctor or clinic. I rang Canberra to ask about this. The reply... some imm officers like to see stamp"

I love consulates.

OK, I like to clarify two things:

1. The applicants live in Thailand six months every year. They come from all over Sweden. To find a doctor in a remote place in Sweden who can certify they are free from all tropical diseases can be a problem. We probably have among the longest queues in the world.

2. The certificates from Thailand, where it is convenient to get one while being there, are issued in most cases by a university hospital, with stamps and authorized signatures. They are issued less than 3 months before application date.

My impression for many years is that in the US. for the form a U.S. based doctor is required.

This can be a real problem if a person has to pay retail for medical care and finds a doctor taking the form literally in which case it would require numerous expensive clinical tests!

• Like 1

OK, I like to clarify two things:

1. The applicants live in Thailand six months every year. They come from all over Sweden. To find a doctor in a remote place in Sweden who can certify they are free from all tropical diseases can be a problem. We probably have among the longest queues in the world.

2. The certificates from Thailand, where it is convenient to get one while being there, are issued in most cases by a university hospital, with stamps and authorized signatures. They are issued less than 3 months before application date.

It is a matter for the Embassy .

You should take the raise issue directly with the Thai Ambassador in Stockholm.

Mr.Kiattikhun Chartprasert is Ambassador of Thailand in Sweden and is based at the Thai Embassy in Stockholm .
Edited by nzexpat

If you read the instructions for the Medical Certificate for an O-A Visa, in most cases it specifically states:

*7. Four copies of the completed medical certificate form |Download| issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) with the name and address of the doctor. The certificate must be not be older than 3 months. Source: http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=48

This is just from the Los Angeles Consulate web page but the same language is contained in the instructions for other Consulates or Embassies

Here it is from the Royal Thai Consulate in New York

1. Three copies of medical certificate form completed by a doctor in the country of application showing no prohibitive diseases. Certificate forms must be less than three months old. Source: http://www.thaicgny.com/%E0%B8%A0%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A9%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%AD-%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A4%E0%B8%A9-english-version/visa/o-a-visas/

Even the MFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) says the same thing:

- A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (certificate shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission). Source: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-(Long-Stay).html

Much like Immigration offices in Thailand every entity likes to interpret the rules the way they think . So if you want a visa I would suggest that you follow the rules issued by whatever Embassy or Consulate you want to issue you your O-A Visa

Edited by Langsuan Man

The Thai Embassy in Stockholm, Sweden, rejects certificates issued by a licensed doctor in Thailand. They only accept certificates from Swedish doctors.

Han anyone heard something similar in other countries?

When I got my O-A in the UAE, the report had to be done by a doctor registered to practice in the UAE and it needed an additional stamp of endorsement by the Ministry of Health. Both took no more than a few minutes to accomplish.

The list of five deseases to be excluded is such that most doctors will certify without detailed lab checks.

1) Leprosy

2) Dangerous step of Tubercolosis (T.B.)

3) Filiasis (Step that causes disgust to the society)

4) Drug addiction

5) Third step of Syphilis

The only point that might raise a question is drug addiction.

Alcoholism is not included in this point and only a point for residency permit.

I got my certificate from a doctor in Germany without specific (blood) tests or so in the context of a basic health check before leaving.

All depends on the mood of the doctor.

Here in Thailand its a complete joke.

Yesterday got one for the driving license.

Done by the receptionist, doctor not involved (not even seen him do a dedicated signature).

Sources:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/doc/Immigration_Act.pdf

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0127_no1.pdf

Edited by KhunBENQ

I have read reports over the years that sometimes people can't locate doctors in home countries who will sign such forms without clinical tests. There are many factors. For example people with a long close relationship with a specific doctor would be in a different situation than going to a new doctor. There is also the money and greed factor and the level of the doctor's "ethics" in signing a form without clinical results.

Of course it is well known how easy it is to such forms signed in Thailand. But that's totally irrelevant to this O-A need when needed in home countries, which it is.

Edited by Jingthing