'Men in black' target Thai community

webfact

News reporting in Thailand has simply become repeating gossip ... no "journalism" as such anymore (or very little), just stories with nothing looked into or questioned ...

But but, but!!! Thailand invented Journalism. Didn't you know that?

I suspect you read that in a Thai newspaper-article, and that they failed to give sources, or links ! laugh.png

They invented newspapers too!

I think I read that too, in the Nation perhaps ? rolleyes.gif

In many countries property owners can have their property resumed (compulsory purchase) for government infrastructure development. In others, Japan and China for example, this is much more difficult and can be fought successfully. OTOH, in the US a private developer can approach local government with a development scheme, and once approved, obtain the right of compulsory purchase of others private property (eminent domain).

News reporting in Thailand has simply become repeating gossip ... no "journalism" as such anymore (or very little), just stories with nothing looked into or questioned ...

There's plenty of decent news around but, strange as it may seem, news about Thailand tends to be written in Thai; if you can't read the language of the country in which you live and are therefore forced to read some atrocious old rag like The Nation, what do you expect?

Edited by Zooheekock

Sounds like Sukhumvit Soi 10 revisited. It will be interesting to see who's behind this...

I've lived on Suk. Soi 10 in BKK for 12 years and have no idea what you're talking about. What happened on Soi 10, and when?

Chuwit Park used to be Sukhumvit Square, a (day and ) night entertainment area. Aside from the beer bars along the Sukhumvit frontage, there were many shops and restaurants inside. It was a pretty cool place.

January 26, 2003, at 0300, they came with bulldozers and other heavy equipment, and razed the place to the ground - bars full of booze and audio equipment, restaurants, fixtures and all, pool tables, the lot.

All because Chuwit had bought the place for a hotel. The tenants were subletters, in typically Thai fashion, without any clear documentation, and it was easier to knock the place down than untangle the legal web.

If you were there for 12 years, you must have seen the rubble on the corner when you first arrived, and the construction of the park subsequently.

I had a couple of favorite restaurants in that place, including Malaysian Aunties...sad.

I'm sure the rest of this thread already contains the details.

And welcome to Bangkok...

Are you new or some thing? That is all the Nation has ever reported.

Reliable reporting is not a prerequisite on Thai Visa. In fact they will not allow the most reliable source to be used here.