Korean satire of Thai monks upsets Thais

webfact

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

..and most certainly, our Thai hypocrites have seen these commercials and after expressed public outrage here too???

I enjoyed watching those and like the point the collection of videos is making, but I don't get how that point is really related? Those commercials aren't satirizing part of Thai society, they are good examples of common attitudes about skin color in Thailand.

The clip was not that funny.

If it were credit should be given.

But it was just blantant hating. ..I could see why the thais are offended.

I'm no comedian but there were so many opportunities to make it much more witty and satirical.

I've lost respect for the Koreans not due to their disrespectfulness but because of their lack of comedic writing. 10 minutes more of brainstorming could have yielded at least a 2x greater insult.

If you're gonna do it....and least try to do it well.

seems that thais are unable to accept the truth about anything if they are upset with this. While there are some good monks around there are also a lot od bad ones, just look at all the fraud/corruption they get involved in, drinking, doing drugs, sex parties etc, they are leaving themselves open to constant ridicule. Way past time the offenders were arrested and charged. being a monk should not make them untouchable especially when they are involved in crime etc.

Just Thais?

Edited by Guest

seems that thais are unable to accept the truth about anything if they are upset with this. While there are some good monks around there are also a lot od bad ones, just look at all the fraud/corruption they get involved in, drinking, doing drugs, sex parties etc, they are leaving themselves open to constant ridicule. Way past time the offenders were arrested and charged. being a monk should not make them untouchable especially when they are involved in crime etc.

Now just take that entire thought, add "Pedophilia" ... send it to the Pope .. and have a nice day

OOOOPS .... "unable to accept the truth? Too close to home?

I have some excellent jokes about the "Virgin" Mary .. care to hear them?

Not long after the 9/11 attack on the World Trade Centre, T shirts were available in Thailand announcing America attacked with images of the Twin Towers burning.

An event where thousands of innocents perished.

Thai monks are a circus act that is no longer funny, so go ahead take the P

I, as a Buddhist, believe all and any religion should be able to stand the winds of comedy and satire, even if not always true or understood. And PLEASE silly people, stop believing the nonsense the (mainly Christian) media feeds you. There are way more good monks with excellent conduct. Helping the people, educating, giving food and medication as well as helping and teaching skills for survival. Do you think THAT is news? You need a reality check.

"One Thai commentator pointed out that the freedom of the expression didn’t make it any less stupid.

"They are such a civilized country, but why are they so intellectually challenged?" Pharnupong Deva-auksorn wrote."

Hmm.....

Considering the high brow level of Thai TV.....lol

In fairness Thai TV is better than that in Vietnam, at least when I was there. At that time they have voice overs on programs which was a woman. Unfortunately she did the voice over for both the male and female parts. Very confusing

Most people with an ounce of common sense...do not make fun of people's religious beliefs...or speak despairingly of one's mother or ancestors...

"You can not fix stupid!"

"One Thai commentator pointed out that the freedom of the expression didn’t make it any less stupid.

"They are such a civilized country, but why are they so intellectually challenged?" Pharnupong Deva-auksorn wrote."

Hmm.....

Considering the high brow level of Thai TV.....lol

In fairness Thai TV is better than that in Vietnam, at least when I was there. At that time they have voice overs on programs which was a woman. Unfortunately she did the voice over for both the male and female parts. Very confusing

Well, being superior to Vietnamese TV isn't much of a badge of honour.

Yea yea nothing to see here folks. Anything related to religion hits a dead wall filled with stupid.

Dare say I'm almost waiting for the western 3rd wave feminism poison to be injected here and see what mayham comes next.

Offence is never given, only taken. Then again, when will we have a yoga eagle pose at a temple again? I need some more entertainment.

Now just take that entire thought, add "Pedophilia" ... send it to the Pope .. and have a nice day

OOOOPS .... "unable to accept the truth? Too close to home?

I have some excellent jokes about the "Virgin" Mary .. care to hear them?

I bet far worse is sent to the pope on a daily basis. As for your jokes, sure, why not? It's a free country after all...

you like our music and culture so now we're going to make fun of your culture on national television..... Not very nice to say the least

What is good for the goose is good for the gander and all that...

Most people with an ounce of common sense...do not make fun of people's religious beliefs...or speak despairingly of one's mother or ancestors...

Can I just check that I was reading that right, that you were being serious, before I comment further?

There may be a context I missed that means the above was an example of ironic humour.

Thais being upset makes sense. Most cultures are upset when another culture makes fun of them.

The funny thing is though that Koreans are insane about their cultural identity and will protest 1million strong over something like this.

As for Thais using the swastika as others have posted, Have you ever been outside of Thailand? China, Korea, Japan all have Hitler bars and have often used Nazi symbols in their advertisements.

Also silly as Koreans are very devout Buddhists also. With their own set of problems.

why not make fun of themselves? Because it is easier to pick on someone smaller than you.

Great ! Thais using the Swastika and Hitler images everywhere is OK, but oh my if somebody make a joke about the Thai monks, with their Louis Vuitton hand bags and private jets ....

What has Hitler to do with it?

Protestants and Catholic supported Hitler, Dalai Lama supported him. And all monks in all religions are happy to bless the weapons at the armies and are always ready when it goes against another religion.

Buddha was against fun and happiness and wanted people who don't follow punished (see alcohol laws with 6 month jail for not following the religious law)???

Maybe they shout read their own books again.

You forgot sedition, torture and accessory to murder.

You can't choose your ancestry, ethnicity, color of your eyes/skin yadda yadda but you can very well choose your religion. Hence, you can make fun of religion how much you want.

You can't choose your ancestry, ethnicity, color of your eyes/skin yadda yadda but you can very well choose your religion. Hence, you can make fun of religion how much you want.

You can...I can not...as the British would say..."It smacks of bad form ole cap"

Can I just check that I was reading that right, that you were being serious, before I comment further?

There may be a context I missed that means the above was an example of ironic humour.

Not too sure where you are trying to go with this...but I would encourage you to give it your best shot...

Depends if you agree on the distinction between criticism of a belief system, and criticism of the believers themselves. If not, then there is no point giving it a shot, my best or otherwise.

As Hitchens once wrote, freedom of expression "trumps the emotions of anyone to whom free expression might be inconvenient". With the proviso that it is a belief system being criticised, not its followers.

Actually they do it all the time check out a Frankie Boyle show, However since you are so concerned about this, no need to worry about it here. Might check into cartoon writers in Paris and Denmark and ask them do they really really know what might happen if they push it. Hey don't get me wrong what happened was crime, but from what I read these cartoonists did not quite grasp the what ifs.

Clueless Euros and acolytes of the Religion of Peace. That was a disaster that did happen