Thai govt repeals arrest warrants of 22 deep south suspects

webfact

Govt Repeals Arrest Warrants of 22 Deep South Suspects
By Khaosod English

14346115431434611768l.jpg
Officials present certificates revoking the arrest warrants of 22 former suspected members of the Islamic insurgency in southern Thailand, 18 June 2015.

NARATHIWAT — Thai officials say they have repealed the arrest warrants of 22 former suspected members of the separatist movement in southern Thailand in an effort to promote reconciliation during the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

Chamnan Muendam, the deputy governor of Narathiwat, said the 22 men were wanted by authorities for their suspected connections to local insurgent groups that have been waging a violent campaign to secede the provinces of Narathiwat, Yala, and Pattani and form a breakaway Islamic state.

The former fugitives surrendered to authorities and have abandoned their armed struggle in favor of a peaceful solution to the conflict, he said.

"[We] are proceeding with the government's policy of opening opportunities for those who think differently from the state or those who took up violent methods, and allowing them to return and solve the problems with peaceful methods," Chamnan said.

Yesterday Thai army officials explained that suspected insurgents charged with crimes under the Emergency Decree, which has been in place in the region for a decade and grants security officers sweeping powers to detain and arrest suspects, will have their warrants revoked if they can prove their innocence.

Speaking today, Chamnan explained that members of the insurgent movement may also be granted legal amnesty if they prove their "innocent intention" by disavowing the violent campaign.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1434611543

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-06-18

In other words, go on boys kill a few more, you get carte blanche.

You know, I don't think that's what they are saying at all......

"The former fugitives surrendered to authorities and have abandoned their armed struggle in favor of a peaceful solution to the conflict, he said."

"Yesterday Thai army officials explained that suspected insurgents charged with crimes under the Emergency Decree, which has been in place in the region for a decade and grants security officers sweeping powers to detain and arrest suspects, will have their warrants revoked if they can prove their innocence."

Edited by Bluespunk

Yeah, I really don't see this working in anyone's favor except the extremists who will keep on killing.

If it helps isolate the extremists, while bringing the majority of those involved in the conflict into a peace agreement, then it is a step in the right direction.

At least you'd hope so anyway.

I assume that if these people have committed crimes, that there have been victims in shape or form. Have the army set some kind of upper limit of offending to allow only those convicted of minor crimes to get off (e.g. those responsible for supply of weapons, funding or recruitment activities are still held accountable)?

I agree, this does not help. If a dog is biting your arm off, you do not tell it "come on, take a bit more, but please stop when you get to my shoulder".

I would also expect, that those given release of their warrants should also be expected to submit the names and details of all people they had worked with for intelligence services, and that if any of those details were proven to be inaccurate or incorrect that the warrant would still stand..