Best visa option for under 50 non-working single person

Hi,

What would be the best option for a visa to apply for from the uk?

I was thinking of an ED Visa but don't really want to go to school (I know all the thai I want to know really). I see you can get a tripple entry tourist visa from the UK, how long can that be extended for? Is it 9 months or a year?

It's a pain with visas if you're not married, not working and too young to get a retirement visa! smile.png

Thanks...

Edited by housey
  • Like 1

You can get almost 9 months of total stay from a 3 entry tourist visa by extending each 60 day entry by 30 days. You just have to be sure you do the 3rd entry on or before the enter before date on the visa. It is important to get the visa as near to your departure date because the visas 6 month validity starts from the date it is issued.

After you have used your 3 entry visa you could get a 2 entry tourist visa in Laos.

Another option is the Thai Elite program. You can get a 5 year multiple entry visa that gives you unlimited one year entries with the Easy Access Membership that costs 500k baht. See: http://www.thailandelite.com/glimpse.php

"It's a pain with visas if you're not married, not working and too young to get a retirement visa!"

Yep, you're right!

Your best option is the 3 entry tourist visa (TR) which as Ubonjoe says will give you about 9 months with a 30 day extensions. A 2 entry TR from Laos gives you about 6 months with extensions. With your TR from the UK and a few TR's from Laos you should be able to stay 2 - 3 years without to much hassle.

There is no limit to the number of TR's you can have, but it's possible, once you've had a few, that you will be asked for proof of income as they will want to make sure you aren't working here.

Although living here on TR's isn't ideal it's doable.

• Like 1

Hey.
Im below 50 and living in Thailand.
I know u dont want to do ED but i am at school learning not thai languege. :) Cost 30000 a year (not included imigration fees) I dont even have to go to imigration every 3 months, my school takes care of it.
Officially u HAVE too go classes... officialy. ;) ;) if u know what i mean ;)
1 year can stay inside thailand no need leaving.
So this is an option for u or turists visas.
If u plan traveling alot making visas runs every 3-4months then better stay here on tourist visa.
If u want driver license etc and stay here longer i think ED is less hassle. U can sit 1year non stop here.
Cheers

Thanks ubonjoe.

Tourist tripple entry will probably be a goer then... although the elite program would be awesome it's a little out of my price range smile.png

Not trying to be flippant, but you are not working, but want to stay in Thailand and cannot afford the Elite program. What exactly are your financial resources to do so ?

I don't think that's any of your business.

Many Civil servants for example qualify for full earnings related pensions after 21 years service.

Private Pensions or Investments could also be another source of monthly income below the age of 50.

Well said! :) Im retired military and below 50...always rises question when asked what i do i answer retired...everyone surprised that im not 50 and retired :)

Sometimes really dont understand that rule 50 plus retired visa but hey there are other visas to get.

Not planning to stay here looooong time...more places to see in world before i die. :D

Don't they still offer the 1 Year multiple entry tourist visa (from your home country)? You can stretch it to 15 months too.

There is no one year multiple entry tourist visa available anywhere.

Only non immigrant visas can be issued as a multiple entry.

Hey.

I know u dont want to do ED but i am at school learning not thai languege. smile.png Cost 30000 a year (not included imigration fees) I dont even have to go to imigration every 3 months, my school takes care of it.

Officially u HAVE too go classes... officialy. wink.pngwink.png if u know what i mean wink.png

If u plan traveling alot making visas runs every 3-4months then better stay here on tourist visa.

If u want driver license etc and stay here longer i think ED is less hassle. U can sit 1year non stop here.

Cheers

The very reason for the clampdown on ED visas !

• Like 1

Another alternative is to split your time across different countries. E.g. easy (& cheap) to stay for a month or 2 in Bali, where you can get a triple-entry Tourist Visa (you'll need confirmed flights out of Thailand for when you want to activate the next entry at approx 90 & 180 days) to last you 9 months then rinse & repeat.

Or go to Malaysia where you'll probably (don't know your nationality) get 90 days visa exempt, Penang (not KL) for a double-entry Tourist Visa (good for 6 months with no confirmed flights required) and again, rinse & repeat.

Or Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines... The worlds your oyster...

Edited by JB300

Hey.

I know u dont want to do ED but i am at school learning not thai languege. smile.png Cost 30000 a year (not included imigration fees) I dont even have to go to imigration every 3 months, my school takes care of it.

Officially u HAVE too go classes... officialy. wink.png;) if u know what i mean wink.png

Cheers

In Phuket, Bangkok, Pataya...yes but not everywhere.

If system allows it...i use.

And if im not mistaken i those 3 places u still dont have too go to school if u pay 5000 at imigration at extection so they dont "check" u attend school or not.

So what kind of clampdown is it? Just to get more cash from us thats all.

Hey.

Officially u HAVE too go classes... officialy. wink.pngwink.png if u know what i mean wink.png

Cheers

And if im not mistaken i those 3 places u still dont have too go to school if u pay 5000 at imigration at extection so they dont "check" u attend school or not.

Except the system doesn't allow it. You are exploiting illegal loop holes and making it harder for people who are legitimately studying in the country. I can go out and buy crystal meth on the street or have sex with trafficked minors without getting caught; that doesn't mean that the system allows it or that it should be done.

Justify your actions any way you want, but it's people like you who have caused this clampdown and made it harder for decent people to study.

• Like 1

Thanks ubonjoe.

Tourist tripple entry will probably be a goer then... although the elite program would be awesome it's a little out of my price range smile.png

Not trying to be flippant, but you are not working, but want to stay in Thailand and cannot afford the Elite program. What exactly are your financial resources to do so ?

My financial resources are none of your business. Also, the fact that not everyone wants to or even can spend £10,000 on a visa shouldn't be a major surprise.

• Like 2

Thanks ubonjoe.

Many Civil servants for example qualify for full earnings related pensions after 21 years service.

Private Pensions or Investments could also be another source of monthly income below the age of 50.

Well said! smile.png Im retired military and below 50...always rises question when asked what i do i answer retired...everyone surprised that im not 50 and retired smile.png

Sometimes really dont understand that rule 50 plus retired visa but hey there are other visas to get.

Not planning to stay here looooong time...more places to see in world before i die. biggrin.png

My son in law is ex military. Took voluntary redundancy 2 years ago after 23 years service aged 41.

Nice lump sum and services pension.

Still has 25 years to collect an additional company pension + state pension, although I can see him calling it a day at 55.

You earned your military pension Matt, enjoy life while your young and fit enough. Good luck mate.

• Like 1

Hey.

Cheers

Except the system doesn't allow it. You are exploiting illegal loop holes and making it harder for people who are legitimately studying in the country. I can go out and buy crystal meth on the street or have sex with trafficked minors without getting caught; that doesn't mean that the system allows it or that it should be done.

Justify your actions any way you want, but it's people like you who have caused this clampdown and made it harder for decent people to study.

You may rant all you like but "illegal loopholes" is a contradiction in terms; either something is a loophole which avoids illegality, or it is illegal. It cannot be both.

• Like 1

You may rant all you like but "illegal loopholes" is a contradiction in terms; either something is a loophole which avoids illegality, or it is illegal. It cannot be both.

So, according to your logic, if you do not get caught doing something against the rule of the land it is legal. I wonder if those having sex with underage kids without getting caught also claim such loopholes.

When people exploit lax enforcement, there is usually eventually a crackdown. When it happens, those properly following the rules may be affected as well. The ED visa is a case in point.

In general, I have a very laisser faire attitude to life. I think people should do pretty much what they want. I strongly feel, though, that we should all consider the impact of our actions on other people.

• Like 1

My son in law is ex military. Took voluntary redundancy 2 years ago after 23 years service aged 41.

Nice lump sum and services pension.

Still has 25 years to collect an additional company pension + state pension, although I can see him calling it a day at 55.

You earned your military pension Matt, enjoy life while your young and fit enough. Good luck mate.

Thats the plan to enjoy smile.png
Thanks and goodluck to you and your son in law (big thanks from me for service so long...WELL DONE) too
All best!
Cheers

A loophole can equate to an inadequacy in a system, and no, it does not need to be legal to be referred to as a loophole. In this case, the inadequacy in the system is that immigration can't verify if all students are actually studying. Exploiting this loophole is, of course, illegal, as you have to actually be studying a certain amount of hours per week at the school to qualify for the ED visa.

I hope things are clearer to you now.

You won't get anyone here to admit that that there is no visa for you. The Thailand Elite is a waste of money and could be reset at any moment like its last incarnation.

Don't talk BS. It can be stopped as anything can, but who has bought will continue to use it for as long it has paid for. Thailand has not interest in getting into a loosing battle for petty money.

You won't get anyone here to admit that that there is no visa for you. The Thailand Elite is a waste of money and could be reset at any moment like its last incarnation.

Don't talk BS. It can be stopped as anything can, but who has bought will continue to use it for as long it has paid for. Thailand has not interest in getting into a loosing battle for petty money.

I may be mistaken (I often am) but I seem to remember the 1 time the Thailand Elite Visa got "Suspended", the threat/worry of civil action against the Department that issued them was enough to get things back to normal in weeks rather than months....

Would also point out that any changes to other Visa Classes (e.g. Increase to minimum bank balance for Retirement "Visas" (extensions of stay for the pedants) have Grandfathered existing users rights, so for me, Thailand has a good track record of honoring what people have signed up for...

Cue the flames :(

Seeing that the OP will apply for his visa in the UK, the source of his income can indeed make a difference in the type of visa he can get.

A loophole can equate to an inadequacy in a system, and no, it does not need to be legal to be referred to as a loophole. In this case, the inadequacy in the system is that immigration can't verify if all students are actually studying. Exploiting this loophole is, of course, illegal, as you have to actually be studying a certain amount of hours per week at the school to qualify for the ED visa.

I hope things are clearer to you now.

I refer you to Messrs Merriam-Webster: "an error in the way a law, rule, or contract is written that makes it possible for some people to legally avoid obeying it".

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/loophole

I'm not sure what you mean by reset. original members either still possess the original elite visa, or took the offer and changed to the current elite visa offering. that's very reassuring for those who purchased into the current program for the visa.