Msg Allergy

liza

:o

Hello,

actually, I do not live in Thailand, but I need help. I'm planning to visit Thailand, and I've got a severe allergy to MSG (monosodium glutamate, flavor enhancer). I know it is used widely in Thai cuisine.

I hope I will be able to just ask for "plain rice" or "plain fish". BUT, i'm not shure whether they will not still add MSG.

Can you tell me how to say "I am allergic to MSG" in Thai (spelled by english letters), or "No MSG, please".

Does someone know something about this problem?

Is it normal in Thailand to add MSG, to, say, salads? or frutti di mare?

:o

Hello,

actually, I do not live in Thailand, but I need help. I'm planning to visit Thailand, and I've got a severe allergy to MSG (monosodium glutamate, flavor enhancer). I know it is used widely in Thai cuisine.

I hope I will be able to just ask for "plain rice" or "plain fish". BUT, i'm not shure whether they will not still add MSG.

Can you tell me how to say "I am allergic to MSG" in Thai (spelled by english letters), or "No MSG, please".

Does someone know something about this problem?

Is it normal in Thailand to add MSG, to, say, salads? or frutti di mare?

Hi Liza

Quite a lot of people are allergic to MSG. This sh*t can make you very sick and consequently ruin your holidays.

When your order your food, just say "Mai sai churot kha/krap" which means "don't add MSG, please". "kha" for girls, "krap" for boys.

MSG is "pomchurot" or more simply "churot".

Anyway, anytime you'll buy some ready-made food, you can be sure that MSG has already been added.

Enjoy your holidays.

Best regards.

JB