Pub was tipped off before police raid

Lite Beer

Pub was tipped off before police raid

20-6-2558-12-34-30-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A liquor pub in Phasicharoen district of Bangkok was tipped off by police to close just before a special team of police would arrive to check if it opens beyond permitted hours.

The special team of police force comprises Crime Suppression Division, anti-human trafficking and metropolitan police raided “Red Seed Pub” on Buddha Monthon 1 road in Phasi Charoen district was led by assistant commissioner of the Royal Thai Police Pol Lt Gen Prawut Thavornsiri.

He led the raid following various complaints from the people that many pubs in the area around university campus always opens beyond restricted time.

Five pubs were raided and some were found to allow underaged into the places.

Drugs were also found among some employees and teenagers.

But the raid at “Red Seed Pub” on Buddha Monthon 1 road was found to be unusual.

Pol Lt Gen Prawut said as the police arrived, the place was closing and guests were leaving, and employees were cleaning the place.

After checking operation licence of the place, he said this pub has no licence to open pub, but merely has licence to sell liquors.

He said searches of its employees found crystal amphetamine or “Ice” in the possession of one of them.

A check of the mobile phone of the pub owner Tawatchai Sunthornchatchavej showed a call number of a police officer attached to the Consumers Protection Police Division ringing in just before the police raid.

Pol Lt Gen Prawut said it indicated the officer who called the pub owner might give him a tipoff before the raid telling him to close the pub before police arrived.

There are also phone numbers of several police officers at various divisions in his phone memory, he said.

He said all employees of the pub were ordered to have urine tests to find if they were addicted to drugs.

He added he would report the raid at this pub to the commissioner for action.

Crackdown on pubs located near university campuses is the policy of the government to get tough with pubs selling liquors to students, and have become crime sources.

Most pubs were found to have no operating licences and open extended hours, thus forcing the government to regulate their businesses.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pub-was-tipped-off-before-police-raid

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-20

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see the Prayut government making criminal networks uncomfortable.

Lets hope the police officers involved in this tip off are held accountable and that reform of the RTP will make these incidents a thing of the past.

Lets hope the police officers involved in this tip off are held accountable and that reform of the RTP will make these incidents a thing of the past.

wishfull thinking whistling.gif

wishfull thinking whistling.gif

Optimistic maybe, but there are already enough bitter and twisted on this forum. No need for one more.

Deluded - as one cop said to a couple of us a couple of weeks ago, nothing has changed, we just send it upstairs to different bosses.

Another useless raid and another useless news article.

Not one word whether the pub owner will be prosecuted for operating his establishment without proper license and beyond permitted hours.

Not one word whether the police officer who allegedly called the owner just before the raid took place will be thoroughly investigated and - if found to have warned the pub owner - dismissed from the police force.

Not one word whether the other police contacts found in the phone memory will be called in and grilled about their affiliation with the pub owner.

What ? Djjamie got the first post in ? What happened to JOC ? Well done Jamie ! clap2.gif

Djjamie is trying his damnedest to hang onto the most bitter and twisted title.

I doubt if Jamie is even looking at doing that, but I am very surprised that JOC did not get the first post in. On average he is by far the first poster to comment on most topics. Almost like he is hanging over his computer 24-7. blink.png

"A check of the mobile phone of the pub owner Tawatchai Sunthornchatchavej showed a call number of a police officer attached to the Consumers Protection Police Division ringing in just before the police raid."

That cop has a lot of explaining to do.

"There are also phone numbers of several police officers at various divisions in his phone memory, he said."

More explaining to do or does the govnor just happen to have a lot of cop friends ?

"He said all employees of the pub were ordered to have urine tests to find if they were addicted to drugs."

Urine tests can tell if you are addicted to drugs ? Amazing Thailand indeed !

"Crackdown on pubs located near university campuses is the policy of the government to get tough with pubs selling liquors to students, and have become crime sources."

Uni students need booze. It is part of the learning process. thumbsup.gif

Yes a pub that has some more hours open is one of the major problems of the country.

How about removing these idiotic regulations (together with the alcohol laws) instead of enforcing them?

So you think it is OK !!to sell to minors and have drugs available, also they pick the area where young college kids are attracted. Thata was why the raids

Why do I have the impression this is mostly for show?

If the offenses are:

1) Operating without a license

2) Operating after hours

Why is a big raid required?

rolleyes.gif

How stupid of the owner to have all his favorite Police Officers in memory on his phone. If they do not go to prison, they will come see you, I wpould bet !!

But, I feel what ever it takes to clean=up these type places that prey on young college students !!

Why do I have the impression this is mostly for show?

If the offenses are:

1) Operating without a license

2) Operating after hours

Why is a big raid required?

rolleyes.gif

Looks good on TV and to the general public. Thai police in action albeit nothing to show for it.

Another useless raid and another useless news article.

Not one word whether the pub owner will be prosecuted for operating his establishment without proper license and beyond permitted hours.

Not one word whether the police officer who allegedly called the owner just before the raid took place will be thoroughly investigated and - if found to have warned the pub owner - dismissed from the police force.

Not one word whether the other police contacts found in the phone memory will be called in and grilled about their affiliation with the pub owner.

It's fair to assume he won't be dismissed from the police force even if they catch the officer in question. Moved to an inactive post perhaps, but not removed.

Does anyone else get a mental image of 100 cops sitting in a warehouse at desks with nothing on them? Inactive. Just sitting there, drawing their pay. Except maybe the one guy in charge of making sure the inactive post holders are inactive. Now THAT would be a boring job.

it must be a very very popular pub its not really a pub its a liquor bar but popular nevertheless to have police ringing in just before the raid and apparently more than one has shown up on the bosses smartphone my my what a pretty pickle .

The truth is that all pubs and clubs should be checked for the correct licenses as standard procedure with a small dedicated team doing the rounds until all are on a spread sheet.Then yearly checks to make sure they are paid up.The fact that something like this isn't happening won't surprise most of us,as its very much the norm.Sloppy policing and government is the way Thailand operates which is why corruption can work because a blind eye is turned to nearly everything if money is paid.

Still very third world in many respects.

I'm sure they will be "transferred" as usual!

Story time again...... I usually go to Sukhumvit Soi 3 for a Sheesha and an Arabic coffee once a week. This particular week i turned up and there's no Sheesha (Hubbly bubbly) and no other restaurant had one either. I asked the owner what was going on ? He explained that the Army came last night and stopped all sales of Sheesha, and that they would be back with an offer from above. The owner told me that he and most others were already paying 15,000 bht a month to the Police, and he thought that all would be ok, just he'll be paying a different bag boy soon in a different uniform....... Oh no, this is not the case, later on the Army came back and informed the owner that his business was now under new management (The Army) and that the price is now 40,000 bht a month ! This might explain why there's no sheesha in the Soi 3, the Arabic street in Bangkok......... Good old Army........... Not.........

Edited by SupermarineS6B

"After checking operation licence of the place, he said this pub has no licence to open pub, but merely has licence to sell liquors."

Why would anyone have a licence to sell liquors, but neglect purchasing the licence to open?

Doh! (rhetorical question) ... answer T.I.T whistling.gif