Any Mexicans in Chiang Mai?

CMfoodie

Entiendo. But why would Mexicanos come here? They have better beaches, low cost of living, great spicy food, hot black haired, golden skinned women (with boobs) at home.

I've encountered very, very, few Spanish speakers here.

I know a few Mexican families here incl. the one that make tortillas. I also know an American who is married to a Mexican lady living in town.

I also know a Mexican in Hua Hin, but he isn't that bad (but that's in crazy Mountain Biker terms biggrin.png), not sure if same guy or his brother.

Anyway there are psychos of all nationalities, I should know rolleyes.gif

Some Mexican's come here to do missionary work. I know some who came to help with the tsumani and then started an orphanage as they saw the need.

Oh I speak Spanish, wish someone told me I was a Latino, I wouldn't have of avoided the dance floor all my life ( shock1.gif I know a stereotype but this white boy can't dance!)

I'll PM the OP but didn't want to miss out on all the fun here too.

Adios Amigos

Entiendo. But why would Mexicanos come here? They have better beaches, low cost of living, great spicy food, hot black haired, golden skinned women (with boobs) at home.

I've encountered very, very, few Spanish speakers here.

Alas I should have moved to Mexico. Only. Also I can speak the lingo. Maybe that's why I couldn't wear rose tinted spectacles there like I can here.;)

The Mexicans in Chiang Mai could make a fortune if they would open a proper Mexican restaurant.biggrin.png

+1

couldn't agree more. Thais do a fine job of preparing Thai food but not Mexican cuisine. haven't had proper Mexican food in Bangkok either.

facepalm.gif Here we go again, just because you are of a certain nationality doesn't make you qualified to be a restauranteur of that cuisine.

How many places have you dined in here owned and operated by a foreigner serving food of thier own country that was a disaster all around.

Seems like every Frenchman and many Italians consider themselves a Chef by birthright but I'm not excluding people from all corners of the world (that would be the square earth we live on)

Recently ate at such a place that the owners admitted they had been only in the biz just a few months with no prior experience. They couldn't handle the business they had, which was just me on my own and another table at lunch or the small (2) front of the house staff but were going to expand the seating area and even spoke about franchising already. On top of that their concept was pretty much opposite of what would work with that kind of business plan.

But I bet a Mexican could do a fine job of preparing Thai food, I've worked with and employed many along with other Latinos and they all held their own in the kitchens no matter what language the menu items were in.

Edited by junglechef

Here we go again, just because you are of a certain nationality doesn't make you qualified to be a restauranteur of that cuisine.

I agree, but I have to give it to the Italians. Practically every one of them that own a restaurant in Chiang Mai used to be customers at Sergio's Pun Pui restaurant about 20 years ago and they are pretty much all good.

There certainly some that rate, one of my favs has a Thai in the cucina who was a Chef in Italy.

But I only wish that my experience was the same as yours. Of the people who have places here that I know, which is a good handful, many have been here long enough to have been a customer at Sergio's then.

But this does bring back my original point, just because they are Italian and have eaten at a particular Italian restaurant in Thailand this might not qualify them as a restauranteur of Italian cuisine, but that's just this guy's opinion.

Edited by junglechef

The Mexicans in Chiang Mai could make a fortune if they would open a proper Mexican restaurant.biggrin.png

They wouldn't stand a chance here. Every one would say this is not like the proper Mexican food I got in California or Texas.

Having spend some time traveling in Mexico I don't know what real Mexican food is. I would order some thing and it was delicious. The next day I would order the same thing at a different restaurant and it was delicious. but not the same as the other restaurant.smile.png

There are more similarities between the two nationalities than either would like to admit. Both have thriving automotive and electronics manufacturing sectors. Both have a rapidly growing middle class. I remember reading about a payload of satellites about 10 years ago being put into space. Three were from Mexico and three were from Thailand. Bananas, papaya, pineapple, oranges, and billions of limes....both places. And the Mexicans have a history of disliking the Chinese, but there are still many Chinese restaurants in Mexico. I would like to see the numbers on skin whitening cream, but it cracks me up to see all the ads on Mexican television after spending a lot of time here seeing the same stuff.

They wouldn't stand a chance here. Every one would say this is not like the proper Mexican food I got in California or Texas.

Having spend some time traveling in Mexico I don't know what real Mexican food is. I would order some thing and it was delicious. The next day I would order the same thing at a different restaurant and it was delicious. but not the same as the other restaurant.smile.png

I used to fly into various regional cities for work (San Luis Potosi, Aguascalientes, Puebla, Zacatecas,etc., etc., )Other than National dishes like Milanesa, Chilaquiles Matrimonias, Tampiquena, there would be completely different regional names for dishes that were exactly the same. I found that confusing and amusing [emoji16] at the same time. Like Sopes'. Which are tacos on a thick flour tortilla you can even see in southwest USA sometimes. Go to Oaxaxa or wherever, they are called Memelas, Chalupas, etc, kind of hard for a Gringo with no Spanish ability. I remember ordering burritos somewhere and they were tiny tortillas in sauce with a spoonful of filling. Looked like a dim sum potsticker. Edited by arunsakda

Burritos are more thumb size in Mexico, with a much more basic filling like beef/potato. Notice the "ito" in Burrito. I've seen guys walk into bars with a cooler full of them, selling to customers. OTOH, I threw one on the scale that I bought at Filibertos and it weighed in at 600 grams. That was a Burro.

• 3 months later...