Our Experience of UK Visa Application-refusal

There was a visa 'agent' who had an office in the same building as the UKVAC, run as now by VFS, before they moved to their current location.

Reportedly, people from this 'agent' would hang around outside the UKVAC and approach people giving the impression they were VFS staff and lure their victims into their office to 'check' the application prior to submission..

They would always claim to find something wrong, which they would 'fix' for a fee.

Both my step son and my sister in law were approached by these people, but having been forewarned by me they told them the Thai equivalent of "go forth and multiply!"

When my sister in law submitted her recent application at the Trendy Building, she was not approached in this manner.

Maybe that's why VFS moved offices?

They are now there again. They have very recently acquired two offices on the ground floor of Trendy building. Their methods are slightly changed, in that they cannot claim to be from VFS ( there is a VFS desk on the ground floor too). There are 4 men operating from this new office, and they mainly wait at the door into Trendy building, approaching suitable-looking people ( farang with a Thai girl, or Thai girl looking a bit lost), and offer their assistance.

As suggested by Kalbo in a previous post you need to treat the application as you would an academic essay or paper, in that for each area where supporting documents are necessary, you will need to have the original documents and a copy (extra copies never go amiss), plus preferably evidence of how those documents were obtained. It is simply a case of reading the notes thoroughly and providing all the information (including additional evidence) requested. I have applied for UK (4 times) and Australian (Once) visas for my GF and daughter (not even my daughter but my GF's and not even adopted) and never had a problem. I put together a folder and index it making sure all the information is there, originals and copies and either sign or initial passport copies etc. Translations of anything that is in Thai language. Be sure that you explain everything in your sponsor (cover) letter and above all what they are looking for is proof that your wife/GF has a reason to return to Thailand, in our case the daughter's school. My GF does not work and receives support from me, all this has to be proved with copies of bank statements going back at least 6 months. Include copies of visa stamps from both your passports if the two of you have gone on trips to Malaysia, Singapore or whatever. As previous posters have mentioned it is not enough to tell them what/where you have been you need to show them. Of course the people at VFS do not care for the indexed files and will pull everything out to look at it but at least if you do it in a methodical way you will be sure you have not missed anything if you make a list of the required information from the notes on the UK web site. Our last visas were processed in March and took just 5 days. Resubmit and I am sure all will be good, best of luck.

• Like 1

As suggested by Kalbo in a previous post you need to treat the application as you would an academic essay or paper, in that for each area where supporting documents are necessary, you will need to have the original documents and a copy (extra copies never go amiss), plus preferably evidence of how those documents were obtained. It is simply a case of reading the notes thoroughly and providing all the information (including additional evidence) requested. I have applied for UK (4 times) and Australian (Once) visas for my GF and daughter (not even my daughter but my GF's and not even adopted) and never had a problem. I put together a folder and index it making sure all the information is there, originals and copies and either sign or initial passport copies etc. Translations of anything that is in Thai language. Be sure that you explain everything in your sponsor (cover) letter and above all what they are looking for is proof that your wife/GF has a reason to return to Thailand, in our case the daughter's school. My GF does not work and receives support from me, all this has to be proved with copies of bank statements going back at least 6 months. Include copies of visa stamps from both your passports if the two of you have gone on trips to Malaysia, Singapore or whatever. As previous posters have mentioned it is not enough to tell them what/where you have been you need to show them. Of course the people at VFS do not care for the indexed files and will pull everything out to look at it but at least if you do it in a methodical way you will be sure you have not missed anything if you make a list of the required information from the notes on the UK web site. Our last visas were processed in March and took just 5 days. Resubmit and I am sure all will be good, best of luck.

I have resubmitted and after the sour taste of the marriage certificate and my wifes employment letter not seeming to find their way to the ECO desk our application this time was carefully drafted with an audit trail. In the application where it asks "any other information" I showed there was a supporting letter from me of x pages and listed the number of appendices. The supporting letter explained what each Appendix was about .At the VFS appointment my wife asked for a receipt (scheduleof documents and number of pages) signed for by VFS (reluctantly !) From a system point of view VFS are a point in the chain where documents can go amiss.

You may find the following helpful in this regard:

Standard Visitor visa

Visitor: supporting documents guide

These links are now just taking me to the visa application homepage on gov.uk

Can anyone advise what size visa photos should be, can't seem to find any info on supporting documents etc now..

3. Documents you must provide

When you apply you’ll need to provide:

Well the good news is our visa arrived today -together with the supporting documents we submitted.

This did not happen with the visa refusal leading me to increase my belief that VFS did not forward our marriage certificate or the emloyment letter to the ECO

I recommend anyone applying for a visa gets vfs to sign a receipt for the schedule of documents they have submitted,reference in detail those documents in a supporting letter and in the section on the form "any further information" to state the letter and numbered appendices so there is a complete audit trail.

• Like 2

Well the good news is our visa arrived today -together with the supporting documents we submitted.

This did not happen with the visa refusal leading me to increase my belief that VFS did not forward our marriage certificate or the emloyment letter to the ECO

I recommend anyone applying for a visa gets vfs to sign a receipt for the schedule of documents they have submitted,reference in detail those documents in a supporting letter and in the section on the form "any further information" to state the letter and numbered appendices so there is a complete audit trail.

What exactly are you allowed to present when applying via VFS?

Can you insist that the documents you present are handed to the embassy exactly how you arranged them?

Does anyone know?

The short answer is yes. VFS are there simply to process the application and arrange the biometrics and any attempt to remove papers should be resisted but as the applicant is supposed to go in on their own and most applicants from this forum will be Thai ladies it is a bit of a problem. The applicant is entitled to present their application with all the evidence which they consider necessary to support that application.

I have to say that my wife and I have done this twice now and no attempt was made either time to remove items. On the contrary the VFS staff pointed out a couple of things which needed copying and told my wife and step daughter to have their passport photos re done. All helpful stuff really in my experience.

• Like 1