Beware the Pre-authorized Debit

It worked exceptionally well for several years, automatic payments of my utilities and TOT direct from my Bangkok Bank account.

That is, until I wanted to cancel it:

went in to the TOT main office in Rayong on March 10th and with two ladies examining my account on the computer screen, ensured that I'd prepaid any possible future debts and that my account was closed, finished, stopped as of April

even hand delivered on March 25th a letter to my local Bangkok Bank branch specifically saying that no further payment was to go from my account to TOT effective immediately (note that I'd prepaid any future debts for them)

Should I have been surprised that another debit was made on May 18th?

No way from overseas of contacting TOT but through the bank, and both disclaim responsibility. More documentation should have been provided! even though I was facing them in the office and bank but nothing was requested.

Taking money from a bank account without permission would, in almost any other situation, be called theft.

The pre-authorized debit can be a great convenience, but beware - stopping it without simply closing the bank account is well beyond difficult!

With the (seemingly) lacking consumer protection laws here, I would avoid direct account debits. Thanks for the heads up. But before this turns into bashing thread - I should note that the exact same thing happened with my gym in the US as I was moving here. Took a registered letter to my bank before they stopped the "pre-authorized" monthly withdrawals.

What the OP is on about is not just unique to Thailand

Very true - but has he had it returned and how long did it take?

As an update, here's the latest from BKBK:

We have checked with regristration center and found that Cancellation about payment of TOT ,the payment was deducted effective end of April . After that will be deducted from using service as the officer of TOT recorded transaction. Please contact TOT directly to check the transaction after you are requested cancellation auto payment.

Working my way through the "English" I think it means that they acknowledge responsibility for the withdrawal of money from my Bangkok Bank account, but won't do anything about it, recommending that I contact TOT for some kind of reimbursement.
However, as I've tried to explain to them, there's no feasible means of contacting TOT: time zones make telephone unlikely, and I've never found a valid email address to use for them.
As of right now, it seems that perhaps they're not trying to take any more money out of the account, but there's no sign of what was taken being replaced.
I'll keep this thread updated if there's any progress.