new drink driving penalty.

crickets

I didnt make this up because i was bored. My guessing is u get caught then go to the police station then u might get bail or might not. Then off to court in jomtien where the judges will hand out the penalty which i was told will now be 1 month. u will then be sent off for your own adventure to the jail in nong prue. My wife sent me the pic on line app but i cant copy it. when she gets home i will try and post the pic. I think this is a reaction to the 18yo drunk student who killed someone and acted like he didnt care a few days ago. In my opinion any way. if this new penalty is true it will definitly work.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This focus on drink driving is not the real issue for Thailand's road safety

Dangerous driving is the issue,

unless all Thai drivers / Riders are pissed out there faces 24/7

What you think ?

Could it be that dangerous driving is a result of being drunk behind the wheel?

I will let you guys get you panties in a twist for this thread.

After 120,000 km Driving / Riding around Thailand most around Pattaya, I know what the real problem is and Its not drink driving.

Have a nice day, bye wai2.gif

Edited by onemorechang

Remember this law is not in place just for us falang but every body, I am all for any action to stop anyone drink driving, up here in isaan I see many drunk Thais on the roads, they think it is OK to have a long lunch drinking whiskey with there meal and jump in their car or truck, I have watched many government offical army guys and yes even police do this on many occasion, why because they will just flash their badge when caught and be let to carry on driving.

I had a Thai friend in our village who did the exact same thing and died after driving into the back of a truck, co workers tried to stop him but he insisted he was OK, yeah right.

Are they deciding this arbitrarily, or is it national policy? Does this mean they - whoever "they" are - have taken justice out of the hands of the court and are practising vigilantism? Did they discuss the implications of enforcing such a harsh punishment with society, which ultimately must condone these things?

Which cop stood up and said: "I volunteer to arrest and jail the son of the local jao por"???

Aah today it is a harsh punishment on society, but tomorrow when there is an accident reported, we start slagging of authorities that they don't enforce drunk driving rules.

I think your missing the point here, in this OP it sounds like the police is setting the punishment, and that is impossible as it should come from the courts. It is the courts that decide on new punishment rules.

I don't think that WitawatWatawit was against punishment .

"impossible"? I don't think so. Did you forget where we are? smile.png

If the police can stick them straight into jail for a month people will actually think twice about driving/riding drunk.

If a person has a blood test and that comes back positive, what's the problem?

It would be nice to see some of these foreigners in jail too, as they come over here, knowing how lax the laws are, and proceed to drive/ride around blind drunk.

Edited by tropo

I have a first hand source tongue.png

On a recent visit to Pattaya sitting with a friend at a beach road front bar in the morning.

We both came by scooter.

I was sipping my soda water, he had his Whisky/Orange.

Suddenly a cop comes by and stops in front of us.

In fluent German (!) he explained the new "no mercy" rules (10000 Baht and 1 month prison).

"Prison not good!" blink.png

"No more pay and go, no mercy".

I was quite stunned.

The "and" may or may not have been an attempt to give an extra impression.

My friend almost shit his pants and after we separated he used a Baht bus, picking up the scooter later in the day biggrin.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

On a recent visit to Pattaya sitting with a friend at a beach road front bar in the morning.

We both came by scooter.

In fluent German (!) he explained the new "no mercy" rules (10000 Baht and 1 month prison).

I was quite stunned.

The "and" may or may have been an attempt to give an extra impression.

My friend almost shit his pants and after we separated he used a Baht bus, picking up the scooter later in the day biggrin.png

Had the desired effect with your mate, more of it I say, maybe a parade each week of all caught drink drivers along beach road walking in leg irons would do the trick too.

Antony, your argument said "conviction by a court" - you did not say imprisonment. It is this mistake of yours that I argued against. You're making it sound like instant jail, instant deportation for a drink driving offence. There is no indication other than an extremely vague posting by crickets, which he has not backed up in any meanful way, to say that this is going to happen. And as I pointed out, there would be some hoops to jump through before it did and a lot of rational thought. Even this govt knows you just don't tear a person's life apart without giving it some thought. Putting aside the guilt aspect and shame, and I'm all for that, being kicked out of the country in handcuffs does seem drastic if you are found with 0.51 blood/alcohol. Yes, by all means toughen the law and enforce it. But keep it in perspective.

Keep in mind that if you go to court and you get fined even only 1 Baht, you will be deported as well, because you are convicted of a criminal offense.

Wrong. Funny how people speak with such authority on matters which they have no understanding or experience. A lot of that on this forum.

We both came by scooter.

I was quite stunned.

The "and" may or may have been an attempt to give an extra impression.

Had the desired effect with your mate, more of it I say, maybe a parade each week of all caught drink drivers along beach road walking in leg irons would do the trick too.

They pretty much do, but in a caged truck that travels from Soi 9 (?) to the provincial court in Jomtien.

Visas don't get cancelled and you don't get deported as some clown made up a few posts ago. One look at the cells in Jomtien would scare almost anyone straight. I would have no objection to being thrown into the women's cell though. Mind you, no one on this forum has ever consumed alcohol, had sex with a prostitute, or even run with a pair of blunted scissors so this thread is for the visitors. .

The interesting part of life is that you can still do everything right and get taken out by a drunken taxi driver or Red Bull heir.

This new application of the law will deter a few farangs with a smattering of sense.<deleted>

Should be a six month suspension for lisence...with insurance company voiding coverage of driver during suspension.....so if the car is crashed it is not paid for by insurance......would help to hit them where it hurts most....the Thai pocketbook

One month in jail.

Totally nuts.

what is it with the people making the regulations, often they just can't find sensible laws and punishments...

it's either just a slap on the hand suspended or the death penalty !

same as for the beach vendors, the regulations changed overnight from chairs and umbrellas everywhere to none !

facepalm.gif

Also, the 0.5 0/00 limit is pretty low - drunk accidents on motorcycles happen with drivers that are totally imbibed.

I have a proposal: driving licences should be issued to people after they have drunk two small beers, and then they have to pass a reflexes test and a driving test.

If someone is not able to pass the tests with two beers in, he shouldn't be issued a licence in the first place.

Why not issue a 2000 baht fine from 0.5 0/00 until 1 0/00 and 10000 baht over 1 0/00? would be more sensible.

Edited by manarak

One month in jail.

Totally nuts.

what is it with the people making the regulations, often they just can't find sensible laws and punishments...

same as for the beach vendors, the regulations changed overnight from chairs and umbrellas everywhere to none !

facepalm.gif

Also, the 0.5 0/00 limit is pretty low - drunk accidents on motorcycles happen with drivers that are totally imbibed.

I have a proposal: driving licences should be issued to people after they have drunk two small beers, and then they have to pass a reflexes test and a driving test.

If someone is not able to pass the tests with two beers in, he shouldn't be issued a licence in the first place.

Why not issue a 2000 baht fine from 0.5 0/00 until 1 0/00 and 10000 baht over 1 0/00? would be more sensible.

When I look at the drunk driving laws worldwide, 0.05 seems to be the norm, and many countries have even much stricter laws like 0.02 or even 0.00.

https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Drunk_driving_law_by_country

Should be a six month suspension for lisence...with insurance company voiding coverage of driver during suspension.....so if the car is crashed it is not paid for by insurance......would help to hit them where it hurts most....the Thai pocketbook

problem is with this, your assuming the vast majority of drivers both Thai and Farang have valid Thai DL's to start with and my understanding is its the car thats insured not the driver, so even without a license, insurance will still pay out on the car laugh.png

The extension to stay based on employment is an extension of your original permission to stay stamp..... not a visa.

Your right, and extension is an extension of your original VISA, hence it is an extended VISA thumbsup.gif

no its not Anthony, just accept your wrong and move on..... an extension of stay is NOT an extended visa whistling.gif

An extension of stay in fact removes the requirement to have a visa to enter Thailand, as you get a re-entry permit, which before your say it, isn't a visa either gigglem.gif

I wondered why no one had mentioned suspension of the driving rights but then I realised in Thailand they would just drive anyway

One month in jail.

Totally nuts.

facepalm.gif

When I look at the drunk driving laws worldwide, 0.05 seems to be the norm, and many countries have even much stricter laws like 0.02 or even 0.00.

yes... although something being "the norm" doesn't make it automatically the best option.

I remember times when 0.8 was the norm and I think it was much better because it allowed for two small beers during dinner in a restaurant, or, as I used to have, one German size beer (0.5 liter) plus a shot/liquor after dinner.

My point is: the most drunk driving deaths are not caused by people coming out of a restaurant with two beers (2x 330 ml @ 5%) being at approx 0.55 0/00 !

(unfortunately I don't have data to back this assertion)

I feel the limit is too low, 0.8 0/00 was good.

Edited by manarak

BAC Calculator

Another Calculator

BAC Measurement and effects

//edit - re post above, I assume you didn't mean .8 BAC as that is in the lethal range, actually it's off the charts. smile.png Converting it would be .08 BAC which has the following symptoms:

Impairment present in everyone. Driving skills such as vision, steering, lane changing and reaction time are impaired along with balance, speech, and hearing. Feelings of Euphoria in some. Self-control and caution are reduced. Riskier behaviors displayed. Judgment, reason and memory suffer. You are likely to believe that you are functioning better than you really are.

BAC Calculator

Another Calculator

BAC Measurement and effects

//edit - re post above, I assume you didn't mean .8 BAC as that is in the lethal range, actually it's off the charts. smile.png Converting it would be .08 BAC which has the following symptoms:

Impairment present in everyone. Driving skills such as vision, steering, lane changing and reaction time are impaired along with balance, speech, and hearing. Feelings of Euphoria in some. Self-control and caution are reduced. Riskier behaviors displayed. Judgment, reason and memory suffer. You are likely to believe that you are functioning better than you really are.

.8 0/00 is correct. it is a concentration figure and reads "0.8 mg per thousand mg of blood" which is effectively 0.08 BAC, which is a percentage figure.

The symptoms you listed are present also at 0.5 0/00.

The point is to find out at which point the alcohol level significantly increases the risk of accidents - I just did some research and found the following which kinda supports my opinion about 0.8

SimpMayGraph.jpg

borkgraf.gif

bac.gif

crash-risk-graph.png

Edited by manarak

The extension to stay based on employment is an extension of your original permission to stay stamp..... not a visa.

Your right, and extension is an extension of your original VISA, hence it is an extended VISA thumbsup.gif

no its not Anthony, just accept your wrong and move on..... an extension of stay is NOT an extended visa whistling.gif

An extension of stay in fact removes the requirement to have a visa to enter Thailand, as you get a re-entry permit, which before your say it, isn't a visa either gigglem.gif

On the TM47 you have to complete for your 90 day report you're asked which visa you hold, and there are 2 options which are Tourist and Non immigrant .

Why on your next 90 day report you don't tell the immigration officers that they don't know the law since you don't have a visa.coffee1.gif

One month in jail.

Totally nuts.

facepalm.gif

yes... although something being "the norm" doesn't make it automatically the best option.

I remember times when 0.8 was the norm and I think it was much better because it allowed for two small beers during dinner in a restaurant, or, as I used to have, one German size beer (0.5 liter) plus a shot/liquor after dinner.

My point is: the most drunk driving deaths are not caused by people coming out of a restaurant with two beers (2x 330 ml @ 5%) being at approx 0.55 0/00 !

" something being "the norm" doesn't make it automatically the best option."

Then how come so many countries are now pushing for 0.05?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/14/national-transportation-safety-board-drunken-driving/2158107/

One month in jail.

Totally nuts.

facepalm.gif

" something being "the norm" doesn't make it automatically the best option."

Then how come so many countries are now pushing for 0.05?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/14/national-transportation-safety-board-drunken-driving/2158107/

there is always someone to push an idea that looks good, it gives politicians and executive-level civil servants material to advance their career, and who would seriously dare to be against such good ideas.

it's a bit like banning prostitution - even if there are politicians opposed to the ban, very few dare take risks and defend the legality of prostitution.

this is a case where democracy doesn't work and doesn't protect minorities enough from the mainstream majority.

the base mechanism of pushing ever lower limits on BAC is similar. something is decided for the "greater good" and the matter is so sensitive that counterargumenting is difficult.

drunk driving accident fatalities reduced by half... okay. good.

at what cost? how many people driving okay even at .56 BAC have been heavily fined, how many were severely inconvenienced, how many can't enjoy a good meal in a restaurant because they are stressed ?

then comes again the question how dare I oppose people's convenience and stress to other people's lives ?

a related question is "how many drunk driving deaths are too many?"

of course the bleeding heart do-gooders will reply that life has no price and that even one avoidable drunk driving death is one too many.

this is then to be considered in comparison with the number of people who choke to death on bretzels. the logical conclusion is that brezels should be banned too.

so... how many deaths are acceptable to allow [private] drivers to have wine or beer in reasonable with their dinner?

I don't know.

I mean the figures are all there, but I don't really know how much lives 2 beers with my dinner are worth.

Another thing I don't know is what effect is pushing down the fatalities when the legal alcohol limit is lowered?

Are more drivers that would other wise have been a bit above 0.5 now drinking less and effectively reducing the amount of accidents?

Is it the campaign making people more responsible?

Is it that people who would be above and beyond 0.8 now become more reasonable and reduce alcohol intake and drive with less alcohol but still above the limit?

Another thing is - what part of the higher fatalities with BAC is really due to alcohol or rather people's behavior, i.e. do people who normally drink alcohol also drive in a more risky manner when not under the influence of alcohol?

In relation to this, I would like to show the following graph: is the difference in accident risk due to a different reaction to alcohol with age or simply due to a different risk behavior due to age and lack of experience, unrelated to alcohol?

figure7.gif

On the TM47 you have to complete for your 90 day report you're asked which visa you hold, and there are 2 options which are Tourist and Non immigrant .

Why on your next 90 day report you don't tell the immigration officers that they don't know the law since you don't have a visa.coffee1.gif

Appears you have to be corrected again. If you can read Thai you will see it only says 'Visa Type' next to the two check boxes. Not 'what Visa you hold'. It means what Visa you entered on. Note that it is next to all your arrival information.

You continue to give inaccurate information and really need to cease, plus being off topic.

@manarak, nice posts well constructed with facts. Way above what we normally see here.

I have no real opinion on the 50 vs 80 but as the law is 50 here just like in many other countries there is nothing much to do.

I do believe that there should be some sliding scale in how much someone is fined because there are differences. Its that way in most countries, the more your bac is the more you get fined (within limits)

Nah. Too easy to ride/driver without licence and pay tea money when you're caught. A good month in jail is much better.

Let us hope they enforce it

Everything has its price. As this is an increase in price no doubt the tea money will increase accordingly. Its a pretty big club to hold over a drivers head. Lets hope the evidence calibrator is up to snuff and not prerigged.