Big Impact Expected From Tougher Visa Rules

This goes directly at madi.

I am old, from BC, Canada and I have lived here in Thailand for over 20 years. In Chiang Mai for 15 yrs, now in Phuket. I have dumped some 50 million Baht into this country, via GF's, land holdings, business workings, Hill Tribe assistance, NGO assistance, etc, etc, etc. Thai immigration laws are insane, they always have been. It's a pain to deal with, on any level.

OK:

<deleted> are you talking about madi? The law is broken at every level, and in every sector, of this country; every second, of every minute of every hour of every day. Law breaking and corruption from the top down. From Taksin and the Chiang Mai construction contracts, to the 34,000 bar/massage girls going short time... from the level 17 Law proffesor signing to release an arrestee that's going to jump bail (wink wink,) to the late night BKK pimp tuk tuk driver. This country is all about breaking the law. Period.

You want to set an example madi? Do it in a place that understands the law. Thailand makes the words 'flim flam' a certainty, not just wishful thinking.

This visa thing is just another shuck and jive smoke screen, and the farangs will have to bear the BS. Blame the farangs, that's Taksin's motto.

Please read 'Sri Thononchai' madi; until you do, you ain't gotta clue, not one. :o

'Old and in the way' in Phuket

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding a farang riot, of course thats silly.

The Mexicans in the US tried a "day without Mexicans" political action where illegal workers were encouraged to take a fake sick day. It flopped big time, because they are actually illegals with no visas, so they are understandably afraid of being fired.

It is a fun fantasy to imagine a "day without farangs" in Thailand. Farangs could hide in their hotels or condos and not teach English, not run important businesses, not spend money in so many ways ...

I don't advise this. The Thais might like that day too much and get some more bright ideas.

This is how the US ist treating illegals and what the US is doing about its 11 million illegals that are working there and this is the feeling of the many of the US citizens.

Perhaps this senator should come to Thailand?

To The Honorable Paul S. Sarbanes

309 Hart Senate Office Building

Washington DC, 20510

Dear Senator Sarbanes,

As a native Marylander and excellent customer of the Internal

Revenue Service, I am writing to ask for your assistance. I have

contacted the Department of Homeland Security in an effort to

determine the process for becoming an illegal alien and they

referred me to you.

My primary reason for wishing to change my status from U.S. Citizen

to illegal alien stem from the bill which was recently passed by the

Senate and for which you voted. If my understanding of

this bill's provisions is accurate, as an illegal alien who has been

in the United States for five years, all I need to do to become a

citizen is to pay a $2,000 fine and income taxes for three of the

last five years. I know a good deal when I see one and I am anxious

to get the process started before everyone figures it out.

Simply put, those of us who have been here legally have had to pay

taxes every year so I'm excited about the prospect of avoiding two

years of taxes in return for paying a $2,000 fine. Is there any way

that I can apply to be illegal retroactively? This would yield an

excellent result for me and my family because we paid heavy taxes in

2004 and 2005.

Additionally, as an illegal alien I could begin using the local

emergency room as my primary health care provider. Once I have

stopped paying premiums for medical insurance, my accountant figures

I could save almost $10,000 a year. Another benefit in gaining

illegal status would be that my daughter would receive preferential

treatment relative to her law school applications, as well as

"in-state" tuition rates for many colleges throughout the United

States for my son.

Lastly, I understand that illegal status would relieve me of the

burden of renewing my driver's license and making those burdensome

car insurance premiums. This is very important to me given that I

still have college age children driving my car.

If you would provide me with an outline of the process to become

illegal ( retroactively if possible) and copies of the necessary

forms, I would be most appreciative. Thank you for your assistance.

Your Loyal Constituent,

Pete McGlaughlin

Gallow humor I now :o

I think its going to be 90 days of VOA via overland border checkpoints. If you have tourist visa then the 90 days does not start counting until your visa expires.

Overland or by airpane the quota does count.

Also a Nation article I read and something from Sunbelt said if you fly in then that VOA does not count toward your 90.

Sorry but you misunderstood. Please go back and read the posts. We have been adamant that flights into Thailand count towards your quota.

and thru all this the immigration people will have descretion.

This we feel will happen. But not in a positive way. Someone with a five year history of 30 day stamps may not find a lot of love at the immigration check point. We'll see what takes place after Oct 1st, if any discretion is positive, if someone is only here for a day on a 30 day stamp.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Sunbelt,

What are AIRLINES supposed to do when people show up for flights into Thailand and they see Thai stamps in the passport? How will airlines know whether to board or not? They can't be expected to interpet these new really rather complex rules. If they board, and the person is denied entry, don't they have to pay to fix the problem?

Edited by Thaiquila

and thru all this the immigration people will have descretion.

This we feel will happen. But not in a positive way. Someone with a five year history of 30 day stamps may not find a lot of love at the immigration check point. We'll see what takes place after Oct 1st, if any discretion is positive, if someone is only here for a day on a 30 day stamp.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Please expand on this point, I don't want to put words in your mouth or cause confusion, but this could be taken to support the 3 visa waiver stamps not 90 aggregate days irrespective of the number of entries controversy

Regards

I am old, from BC, Canada and I have lived here in Thailand for over 20 years. In Chiang Mai for 15 yrs, now in Phuket. I have dumped some 50 million Baht into this country, via GF's, land holdings, business workings, Hill Tribe assistance, NGO assistance, etc, etc, etc. Thai immigration laws are insane, they always have been. It's a pain to deal with, on any level.

OK:

You wrote

"<deleted> are you talking about madi? The law is broken at every level, and in every sector, of this country."

I know that but they are Thai and we are NOT. We can be deported. That is what I am talking about.

Thais know about the corruption here better than we do. We do not need to tell them about it. If we do not like it here--the Thais can tell us to leave and don't let the door slam us in our <deleted> on the way out the door. Do you like it here? I know you must. Remember that. A Thai reading your post would be angry don't you think?

I stand by my comments.

I am sorry if you did not like what I wrote. I was not trying to offend anyone.

Thanks for your post. Most of what you said is true BUT---we are NOT THAI. That is my point.

to Aviador:

a sad but too frequent story.

i reckon your only option is to find the local boss and somehow get him to help you out with that little scumbag, Taxexile being a wealthy Phuket local may be able to help you there.

i am one of the whingers, why, cause its just stupid and will change nothing.

the reasons given for changing the stamps are silly and the aims stated are simply not achievable.

most of us scumbags will still come and stay, it will just take more time and more hassle.

- undesirables will not be kept out.

- embassies will be overworked.

- Thailand is getting a lot of negative feedback.

- TRT will be re-elected.

- who would be silly enough to put 800K baht in a Thai bank for 0-1% interest for a retirement visa.

- who would be silly enough to bring in 10 million baht for an investment visa.

(they could easily change the regulations about taking your money out of the country i think)

- people saying get a Non-Imm B must have a lot of money to throw away.

to be truly legal in a "your own " business, correct me if i am wrong,

you need to:

1. set up a thai limited company.

2. have the company agree to employ you in a job that is approved by the government and then provide you with the papers.

3. have the company employ 4 (?) Thai people for the 1 farang.

its not a simple solution to "getting legal"

- and its not cheap, 50K for company stuff plus all the extras in travel and accomodation.

i think there will be effects.

- some will choose to stay elsewhere.

- some will say its too much hassle, and limit their stays in Thailand, think of the traveler who runs through Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, often using Thailand as a hub, there are many.

Never forget - Thailand does not like you. Just your money.

"I don't think it's going to hurt good people because they can apply for a tourist visa [in their homeland]," he said.

is it just me or does this SEEM to reinforce other, informal reports that multi-entry visas can still be obtained in your homeland? or at least (slightly) reinforce the hope that back to back visas are possible, if you go via air?

i've heard over and over that they're targeting land runners, not the airport. if true this would imply that they're not eliminating long-term tourists, just forcing them through different channels which would generate more revenue and more traffic for the new airport.

we shall see when people start returning from attempts to apply for consecutive tourist visas, what policy is really being enforced.

OK:

<deleted> are you talking about madi? The law is broken at every level, and in every sector, of this country; every second, of every minute of every hour of every day. Law breaking and corruption from the top down. From Taksin and the Chiang Mai construction contracts, to the 34,000 bar/massage girls going short time... from the level 17 Law proffesor signing to release an arrestee that's going to jump bail (wink wink,) to the late night BKK pimp tuk tuk driver. This country is all about breaking the law. Period.

You want to set an example madi? Do it in a place that understands the law. Thailand makes the words 'flim flam' a certainty, not just wishful thinking.

This visa thing is just another shuck and jive smoke screen, and the farangs will have to bear the BS. Blame the farangs, that's Taksin's motto.

Please read 'Sri Thononchai' madi; until you do, you ain't gotta clue, not one. :o

Yesterday a young Burmese Friend sent his girlfriend on the Bus to Ranong to take the long boat over to Khawtoung to visit her sick mother.

I asked him, how she would get get past the checkpoint just before entering Ranong?

Oh she just hands the officer 1,500 Baht and they look the other way.

This girl cleaned my house ever day 7 days a weak for 3000 Baht a month :D

"We are trying to make it more difficult for bad people to get in," Immigration Police chief Lt General Suwat Thamrongsrisakul said at a press conference yesterday.

"I don't think it's going to hurt good people because they can apply for a tourist visa [in their homeland]," he said.

I am a tad insulted. Am I the kind of riff-raff they hope to keep out?

FYI: I am here with my own money, just taking classes and doing volunteer works for various animal rescues and then one school next spring. I sold my home in the States to pay for this mid-life retirement and planed to stay in SE Asia for two years. I was visiting other countries, but mostly happily giving Thailand my tourism dollar and hopefully making a contribution via my volunteer work. I am financially self-sufficient and have been coming here for years. Unfortunately I am ONLY (ha ha) 40 years old. No other type of Visas seem to apply.

Besides me the other “Bad” people they are hurting are my Thai Apartment Owner, my Thai driver, my Thai travel agency, laundry gal, the staff where I eat, tourism bases businesses benefiting from my family visiting me here, Thai children who would learn via my volunteer work and puppies. Best call Dr. Kevorkian for this evil lot!

Although at this point my biggest concern is that we are sure we have 90 days/2 entries after Oct 1. Getting to the border mid October to find I am at 88 days retroactive and can not go back to my apartment for my belongings is the worst case scenario I can imagine.

Yes, good people please line up on the left. All others admit you are BD and don't do something sneaky (BAD) like apply here.

post-34748-1158389551_thumb.jpg

What I did today was I went to the office of my apartments just out of curiosity and asked how many tenants have tourist visas. She asked why and I said because I wanted to get some idea of how many vacancies there would be next month. She had no clue as to what I was talking about. Then I printed out the notice George posted from the immigration website and I saw her face turn from amusement to panic when I explained to her that this translates to vacant apartments. She said between 30% and 50% had tourist visas.

It would seem that non of this has hit the Thai news. At first glance it seems not to apply to them. Perhaps for the Thais this is like when the sea recedes just before a tsunami. Only people with a keen sense recognize the warning signs and sound the alarm.

Yesterday a young Burmese Friend sent his girlfriend on the Bus to Ranong to take the long boat over to Khawtoung to visit her sick mother.

I asked him, how she would get get past the checkpoint just before entering Ranong?

Oh she just hands the officer 1,500 Baht and they look the other way.

This girl cleaned my house ever day 7 days a weak for 3000 Baht a month :o

Wow you big spender you; hope that 100 baht a day doesn't break you. :D

Sunbelt,

What are AIRLINES supposed to do when people show up for flights into Thailand and they see Thai stamps in the passport? How will airlines know whether to board or not? They can't be expected to interpet these new really rather complex rules. If they board, and the person is denied entry, don't they have to pay to fix the problem?

Our understanding, they will count the same as the Immigration officer, the number of 30 day stamps in the last six month period. More than three stamps and the traveler will need a visa from an Embassy/Consulate.

If they board, and the person is denied entry, don't they have to pay to fix the problem?

Have head of this in the past. However will they give the airline a grace period? I don't know.

to be truly legal in a "your own " business, correct me if i am wrong,

you need to:

1. set up a thai limited company.

2. have the company agree to employ you in a job that is approved by the government and then provide you with the papers.

3. have the company employ 4 (?) Thai people for the 1 farang.

You do not need to hire any Thais to own a business or to get a work permit. This requirement is only for extension of stay based on business and if your objective is anything other than consultant (if the business objective is consultant or agent, you only need one Thai employee to get the long term visa extended)

If you cannot meet these criteria for the long term extension of stay based on business, get a one year multi entry visa with a work permit. No Thais will need to be employed in the company.

Please expand on this point, I don't want to put words in your mouth or cause confusion, but this could be taken to support the 3 visa waiver stamps not 90 aggregate days irrespective of the number of entries controversy

Our understanding and nothing has changed on this till now. It is stamps not days. You are here one hour in Thailand, it counts as one 30 day stamp(entry) used.

From the Nation today confirms what we have been told...

Nation

From October 1, tourists from the 41 visa-exempt countries may still enter Thailand without visas and stay for up to 30 days, but they will only be able to extend their stay here two times - that is, for a maximum of 90 days.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

hi'

this is a sure way to "end poverty", no girls, no alcohol, no public smoking, no entertainment after midnight, and for sure no tourist!

after making his own money to be safe, he is going to kill LOS!

wouldn't it be better that a plot succeed? :o

francois

ps; do I dislike the guy? yes! in too many ways :D

Well.. the new rulus are not much different then the Schengen Visa.

We still can travell to THL, but the Thai can't to a Schengen country without filling in a truckload of paperwork, prove of (sufficient) income, prove residentie (hotel:etc) copy of return ticket. etc etc, How about the U.S?? even worse.

If you like to stay longer, do it the proper and legal way....I know it's a lot of hasle aswell, but worth it and if you not want to put your energy in aplying for the right visa then...........you probably have no bussyniss LOS. then ......?????

Point taken madi.

There is a reason why Taksin's closest friends now are the military junta leaders of Myanmar. Mr. Taksin and Mr. Than Shwe seem to have a lot in common these days. I blame the problem directly on TRT, not the Thai people. Thailand is a 3rd world country and was going under the right direction under Chuan Leekpai, that's a fact. Land holding transparency was indeed an issue, but corruption at the very highest level was not.

My old GF's dad used to have parties at his house every night during the election period, everybody would get completely drunk. Before they staggered home, the party attendees would receive an envelope, inside would be a little cash, (very little in fact, maybe 200B depending.) The happy, envelope carrying, people knew who to vote for. This has not changed, nor do I expect it to.

I just wish that Mr. Taksin, his Chinese family, and all his gangster buddies in Chiang Mai, would stop trying to turn this country into (read my lips) Burma. :o

Blame the farangs for everything, that's Taksin's motto.

I started doing monthly visa runs when the head immigration lady in Chiang Mai became completely unbearable. Indians and Bangladeshis were are walk through, Canadians had to plan on an entire day, every 3 months, no matter what visa I was carrying in my PP.

This IS their country madi, but I wish they would play the game as fairly with themselves as they do with us.

Blame the farangs for everything, that's Taksin's motto. We do not deserve it.

If they were one third of the way smart, they would simply let the falang fo to immig and pay a few hundred B to extend.

Instead of causing more traffic, more wasted fuel [so much for "energy policy"] and making the Burmese and Lao rich.

I guess we file this under "not smart enough."

Most tourists that flaunt the imigration laws here in Thailnand derive their money from local sources. Teaching, dive instructors, bar owners etc. I believe Thailand will not loose money from this group if they are expelled. Rather, I think the Thai economy will be better off without them.

This is a sign of the times I am afraid. Thailand is becoming richer. These types of tourists are now unwelcome. The "khe nok farang" is now looked upon by Thai people as trash. Thailand is trying to build a new image and it seems that expat white trash no longer needed, wanted or welcome.

If a farang has money it will be easy for them to stay, this new law will only get rid of the poor ones living off local ill gotten gains....Say hello to the begining of a new Thailand.

the funny thing is

with not work permit you have to go and can easily go abroad to get a visa back in

but with a workpermit

you cannot get out without getting a note which costs you 1000 baht so that your workpermit will remain valid.

no workpermit

you must go out

workpermit

you cannot go out

Sorry but you're wrong. I have had a work permit for 3 years now and each time I have had to apply for a 1 year Non imm B that requires border runs. I only now qualify to apply for the full one year visa that requires exit pemission.

Would much rather do that than have to do the border run - did it this week and it took 13 hours round journey stuck in a minimbus.

And dont forget if you are oging to leave the country regularly you can get a multiple exit permit for around 3000 Baht

MUCH cheaper than doing visa runs

This is most likely going to be my last post on here. Altough i haven't done too many anyway.....

Why? Because i am illegal. Doing border runs siunce three years, staying in Thailand since six years. Working without permit. And not able to stop doing so, i will have to throw away my passport and go completely illegal if these new rules are implemented.

And now "flames on",

Thailand wants to toughen it's immigration rules to match other countries. No problems. Getting myself legal is almost exactly as difficult now as it is to get my thai boyfriend (yes i'm a homosexual) legally to Germany, my country. Both reqiuire roughly the same amount of money, to be specific. But there's a few differences, dear thai government:

Once my boyfriend is in Germany, regardless on what visa, he can immediately buy as much land and buildings and cars and Boeing 747's as he can pay for, and the german government via it's police will protect this property for him.

If on a work permit, there is no silly restriction "you can legally work on desk 3, room 214a, floor 6, building so-and-so" but if you have a work permit, you can WORK - no matter where and as what.

If you are working legally, you immediately and automatically are member of a health insurance and job security. Meaning you get sick - you go to doctor and don't need to pay anything. Lose your job - government will pay money so you can survive, also government will assist in finding new job.

You are married to a German - Good. After five years you can apply for and get german citizenship - passport, ID card. 100% rights like a "natural" German.

Not married, but still legal in the country? Wait ten years to get the same.

And there are MANY MANY THAIS DOING SO. So please, can we Germans maybe have some of that too? In Germany i could at least legally marry my boyfriend and he'd enjoy full benefits, if i had a job he'd be covered by my health insurance etc.

And before you flamers now strart with "Yeah, why don't you go back to Germany" - because there is no money for getting a visa for him, and no money for making myself legal.... and because i love this guy more than my own life, and because his own salary doesn't pay for the dialysis of his father with kidney failure, and before i let his father die i work illegal here..

Best regards to all the rich-enough-to-afford-legality native speakers with degrees......

your too-poor-to-become-legal non-native without degree

Thanh

We still can travell to THL, but the Thai can't to a Schengen country without filling in a truckload of paperwork, prove of (sufficient) income, prove residentie (hotel:etc) copy of return ticket. etc etc, How about the U.S?? even worse.

If you like to stay longer, do it the proper and legal way....I know it's a lot of hasle aswell, but worth it and if you not want to put your energy in aplying for the right visa then...........you probably have no bussyniss LOS. then ......?????

This would not be a rocket scientists comparison would it.

If the borders where open into schengen in the same way as it is into Thailand,

Do you think poor thais and people from poor countries would come to spend their forune in Europe...... or maybe go there to take all the jobs offering themeselves with low labour cost??

Think twice before posting nonsense like this.

Most all year round tourists actually brings in a lot of cash to this country to the benefit of thai people.

"It would be hard to find a place with a more deeply ingrained sense of hospitality than Thailand. Tolerance of outsiders' quirks and an overall laissez- faire attitude make the country one of Asia's top tourist destinations, drawing more than 11 million visitors last year."

It is not quite so, I think.

Thais are polite,low profile and patient people.Hospitable? Not more than the average response of a third world citizen towards a first world citizen. Ask how hospitable and tolerant they are towards Indians Africans, Filipinos etc.In fact they use a derogative term 'ket' meaning black and lowly. I wonder if there are any rich young and beautiful educated Thai women married to farang men.The parents would'nt allow it if thre is a local equal alternative. The peoples of the yellow races in general are reserved, inward and timid people and thus naturally xenophobic with the most notable example of Japan where xenophobia has been elevated at its highest.

People wonder why such a large country as Thailand does not allow foreigners to buy land.The answer is simple, they are protecting themselves from the strange menacing foreigners.This is not a policy of the present xenophobic (as described by many) government.No, this is national policy transcending legalities and rational thought but,in my opinion, a deeply ingrained need of the Thai psyche. The same applies for the difficulties with the issue of visas etc.They just do not want us really. The same deeply ingrained mechanism of mistrust of the foreigner comes into play.Philippines for example, it is much more tolerant and open to foreigners.If you are married to a Filipina you are practically a citizen yourself as well.

Thais are hard working, have a good business sense, perfectionist, artistic and not hampered by religion .They are a remarkable people just like all the yellow races.The success of Thai tourism is due to many reasons such as accomodation at less than a third or fourth of the cost as compared to Europe,excellent and inexpensive food, rich heritage, outstanding transport,yes outstanding transport.Just think of any other country where taxis can be found at the speed of thought.

There are so many plusses which make Thailand unique and the last but not least reason is sex!!

The ready availability of sex at practically every corner (bless them) makes this country truly remarkable on all fronts and attracts not just sex tourists but conventions where the true issues are tackled in the afterhours.

The purpose of this post is to stress my notion that Thais may not be particularly hospitable people but very likeable and remarkakable people nontheless.

Great news.

This should cut down the numbers of Farang dregs, dross and undesirables who are taking advantage of the lax Thai visitor laws, scamming the system and up to all kinds of illegal activities.

These scum are not community minded people and do not create any benefits for Thailand whatsoever, including the illegal business controllers, bars, pimps etc.

Hopefully this new ACT will make the legitimate Farang long stay residents, (Retired, marrieds, students, skilled workers) presents more valued in Thailand and pave the way for decent Farang communities, especially in Chiang Mai.

As for rest,

Good Ridends

if you reallly believe it will make a difference toward ridding the country of 'dregs, dross and undesirables, then good luck on that. to me that seems horribly naive, to the point of delusion.

the people it will affect are the ones who followed the rules as they were up to now and were just looking for an affordable, comfy place to park on the beach and avoid working, possibly indefinitely.

the 'bad' people will just overstay or use other means.

all you guys who fancy yourselves "law and order" types, then try feebly to compare thai immigration regulations with, say, the US, are overlooking the obvious--the US has very strict immigration laws, but neighborhoods like Brighton Beach in new york are chock full of russian gangsters. do you really think their visas are in order?

don't let that interfere with your self-righteous hot air, though.

by the way, 'ridends' is spelled R I D D A N C E, unless you're coining a new word by combining RID and END.

OK:

You wrote

"<deleted> are you talking about madi? The law is broken at every level, and in every sector, of this country."

I know that but they are Thai and we are NOT. We can be deported. That is what I am talking about.

Thais know about the corruption here better than we do. We do not need to tell them about it. If we do not like it here--the Thais can tell us to leave and don't let the door slam us in our <deleted> on the way out the door. Do you like it here? I know you must. Remember that. A Thai reading your post would be angry don't you think?

I stand by my comments.

I am sorry if you did not like what I wrote. I was not trying to offend anyone.

Thanks for your post. Most of what you said is true BUT---we are NOT THAI. That is my point.

Forgive him Madi, for he know not of what he speak........ but also forgive him as he is both old and from Canada...... so what can you expect.... and no one I am sure held a gun to his head and made him put out 50 million :o:D:D

Hey francois!

How's about we turn off the electricity from 1-5pm and close the gas stations at 6pm. Oh yeah, that's Burma, sorry. Everything else you mentioned was Burma, so I just thought...

Hey I know, no ice making at night! That makes about as much sense.

On a lighter note. The 15-17 foreign owned corporations that were told to stop building their new Tescos, Carrefours, BigCs, 7-11s, etc. have told the "caretaking" ruling party to go eff themselves. Let's see how that plays out.

Also, today, a (small) Swiss investor shifting 225 million Baht into Thailand for business purposes has dropped out of his hotel backing deal here in Phuket. 'Too risky' were his exact words. I guess that's just chump money for the Thais. Another read my lips, No backpackers!

'Forbes' Magazine, of the USA, was one of the first media conglomerates to get their hands on this bit of visa news, and is now mulling whether to give a 'cautionary' flag to Thailand for the tourist/business travel sector.

TRT is throwing out the baby with the bath water. Get ready for the economic hit Thailand! Bar owners, teachers, dive instructors, indeed. What a stinking cesspool of BS that is.

Blame the farangs! Taksin's favorite motto.

I have been "living" in Thailand legally since 2002 and am absolutely delighted that thet Thai govt has finally passed a law that will toss out every farang that has no business staying in this country without the proper paperwork, documentation....or money to make a positive contribution. This includes fellow westerners and all the other miserable back packers who slip in and out of Thailand claiming to make contributions, while people like myself make serious investments.

Bye bye low lifes!

Reply to Than....hey dude, wealth is relative - time to move on.

This is most likely going to be my last post on here. Altough i haven't done too many anyway.....

Why? Because i am illegal. Doing border runs siunce three years, staying in Thailand since six years. Working without permit. And not able to stop doing so, i will have to throw away my passport and go completely illegal if these new rules are implemented.

And now "flames on",

Thailand wants to toughen it's immigration rules to match other countries. No problems. Getting myself legal is almost exactly as difficult now as it is to get my thai boyfriend (yes i'm a homosexual) legally to Germany, my country. Both reqiuire roughly the same amount of money, to be specific. But there's a few differences, dear thai government:

Once my boyfriend is in Germany, regardless on what visa, he can immediately buy as much land and buildings and cars and Boeing 747's as he can pay for, and the german government via it's police will protect this property for him.

If on a work permit, there is no silly restriction "you can legally work on desk 3, room 214a, floor 6, building so-and-so" but if you have a work permit, you can WORK - no matter where and as what.

If you are working legally, you immediately and automatically are member of a health insurance and job security. Meaning you get sick - you go to doctor and don't need to pay anything. Lose your job - government will pay money so you can survive, also government will assist in finding new job.

You are married to a German - Good. After five years you can apply for and get german citizenship - passport, ID card. 100% rights like a "natural" German.

Not married, but still legal in the country? Wait ten years to get the same.

And there are MANY MANY THAIS DOING SO. So please, can we Germans maybe have some of that too? In Germany i could at least legally marry my boyfriend and he'd enjoy full benefits, if i had a job he'd be covered by my health insurance etc.

And before you flamers now strart with "Yeah, why don't you go back to Germany" - because there is no money for getting a visa for him, and no money for making myself legal.... and because i love this guy more than my own life, and because his own salary doesn't pay for the dialysis of his father with kidney failure, and before i let his father die i work illegal here, and before i leave this country without my boyfriend and knowing his father is taken care for, i'll kill myself in front of Thaksin's residence.

May my spirit haunt him for eternity. I know he believes in that.

Best regards to all the rich-enough-to-afford-legality native speakers with degrees......

your too-poor-to-become-legal non-native without degree

Thanh

If they were one third of the way smart, they would simply let the falang fo to immig and pay a few hundred B to extend.

Instead of causing more traffic, more wasted fuel [so much for "energy policy"] and making the Burmese and Lao rich.

I guess we file this under "not smart enough."

Most tourists that flaunt the imigration laws here in Thailnand derive their money from local sources. Teaching, dive instructors, bar owners etc. I believe Thailand will not loose money from this group if they are expelled. Rather, I think the Thai economy will be better off without them.

This is a sign of the times I am afraid. Thailand is becoming richer. These types of tourists are now unwelcome. The "khe nok farang" is now looked upon by Thai people as trash. Thailand is trying to build a new image and it seems that expat white trash no longer needed, wanted or welcome.

If a farang has money it will be easy for them to stay, this new law will only get rid of the poor ones living off local ill gotten gains....Say hello to the begining of a new Thailand.

I was reading your post but didn't understand what you meant by "loose money". Can you elaborate? Did you mean extra cash? What visa are you on anyway? I suspect you will be next in this cleansing of the trash you speak of

This would not be a rocket scientists comparison would it.

If the borders where open into schengen in the same way as it is into Thailand,

Do you think poor thais and people from poor countries would come to spend their forune in Europe...... or maybe go there to take all the jobs offering themeselves with low labour cost??

Think twice before posting nonsense like this.

Most all year round tourists actually brings in a lot of cash to this country to the benefit of thai people.

Yes, and "genuine tourists" are still no doubt welcome, but don't start trying to make money or overstay. In other countries, you cannot do this, why should Thailand be any different?!?