Big Impact Expected From Tougher Visa Rules

No, but you do have to do the equally degrading run to an Immigration Office to report every 90 days.

actually , there is nothing degrading in turning up just down the road and making the acquaintance of your local immigration officer. once your face is known there , things just seem to get friendlier and easier.

for those who do find it degrading , i believe you can do it by post.

So what exactly is degrading about going to a border to renew your visa?

It appears you have some prejudices there my friend.

:o

Personally I've prefered doing monthly runs to the border as I've stated in older previous posts.

It gaurantees that I get out of the house and BKK every month and I often look forward to doing the runs because I make a two day holiday of it. Heck, I wouldn't mind even paying 1000baht for a special 30 day stamp every month if it would mean being able to continue doing runs every month.

Oh well, I guess it's back to going to Penang to get my visas, staying there a few days and spending money there instead of at Aranyaprathet or Mae Sot. It's a shame that some owners of hotels and food stalls in Aran won't be getting my custom anymore but it's been a real pleasure knowing them.

btw, what will happen to all the Malay tourists who cross the southern borders every weekend? Sometimes several times a week even? Surely alot of southerners won't be happen at the loss of tourist income.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All those that are writing smug comments about these new regulations ridding Thailand of farang scum need to think more carefully. This is going to affect you big time let me assure you. Do you own a property here? Do you have a business? Do you have a lot of your cash in Baht? Fortunately i have none of these and im very glad i don't because it's these people who should be concerned.

I've been here for 2 years and i know how important farangs like myself are to this economy. I am under 50, do not work illegally, have an adequate income to support myself in Thailand and have always obeyed and respected the law during my stay here. I support a TGF and family (and do not wish to marry), i employ a maid and rent 2 properties in BKK. If Thailand do not wish for me to stay here any longer then i certainly respect this decision. It is their own country and they set the laws. I will return to the UK it is not a problem for me. However, i just hope they truly understand the consequences of their actions. I would hate to see innocent, hard working Thai people suffer as a result of this and i am convinced that they will.

I also think it is a little offensive to say that if you don't have a lot of cash then that person is scum. I know some very nice people who live here who don't have a lot of money. They have enough to support there simple lifestyle and are law abiding citizens. They are not taking anything from Thailand they are only giving.

It's no big deal to many of the farangs who have to go back to the US or the UK, it is a much bigger deal for Thailand.

Thailand recently simplified the process for foreigners who want to become permanent residents. The amount of paperwork required has been slashed and the time involved reportedly cut from more than a year to about four months.

Will be very interested in hearing more about this.

i agree.

from what i had previously read,

this particular one was virtualy impossable and not worth the headache of applying.

Yes, I am also interested if it has become easier now. Last year I talked to Suan Plu and though I qualify for a PR (8 years on same Non-O -marriage, 13 years married and have WP) they told me "why bother, it's too complicated and costly", and advised me to continue with my annual Non-O extension.

Can somebody please provide a link to the current PR requirements?

Thanks

opalhort

I have been "living" in Thailand legally since 2002 and am absolutely delighted that thet Thai govt has finally passed a law that will toss out every farang that has no business staying in this country without the proper paperwork, documentation....or money to make a positive contribution. This includes fellow westerners and all the other miserable back packers who slip in and out of Thailand claiming to make contributions, while people like myself make serious investments.

Bye bye low lifes!

How nice of you Hopsing, you don't mind I call you xhole don't you?

When I was a student (age 15 to 25) I used to backpack thru Europe, and in your mind I was a miserable back packer then, just becasue I back packed?

Many years later I live legally in Thailand on retirement extensions but would never despise back packers, they are the future, not idiots like you.

Anyway, since you still did not get it, you are in Xenofobia country here, Thais don't want farangs to buy out their country. Better face this than your back packer hatred.

Yours sincerely.

Edited by tartempion

... and asked how many tenants have tourist visas. ... She said between 30% and 50% had tourist visas.

Hi John K,

For me it was not the good question to ask.

There is until now no problem with tourist visa. Only with VOA.

So the question was "How many use monthly VOA ?"

And I suppose the answer would be a lot of less. May be 10% ?

And then, how many of these 10% can get a valid visa ? (nom-Imm O, Tourist, ...)

Around me in Pattaya at least 80% of guys can get a visa.

Most of the other 20% are guys under 50 yo :o

So 20% of 10% make only 2% of the tenants. Not a big problem so.

Pattaya46

Thailand tighten rules for foreign visitors

BANGKOK: -- "Thailand never turns away people with problems, no matter where they're from," run the lyrics to a famous Thai country song. "They cross the border, the Mekong River where the water is murky/To ask for the protection of Siam/We welcome them with a smile."

It would be hard to find a place with a more deeply ingrained sense of hospitality than Thailand. Tolerance of outsiders' quirks and an overall laissez- faire attitude make the country one of Asia's top tourist destinations, drawing more than 11 million visitors last year.

But Thais are now pondering, as they do periodically, whether the doors to the well-advertised "Amazing Thailand" have been opened too wide.

VERY true!

I don't think there are many countries which open their doors as wide as Thailand does.

opalhort

Remember that the Thais who would like to see the back of these 'bad' foreigners are not ones who will lose out financially by it. However, an 'excuse' for the tightening-up is needed, to give to those Thais who will be hit financially.

Good point - as always the poor will bear the brunt of the economic loss, namely the poor women for whom prostitution is the only way to earn a large income.

In the longer term, Thailand can expect lots of 'good', and well-off, foreigners wanting to settle here in retirement to avoid the winter-heating bills, and other nastinesses, of living in many other parts of the world.

This is hilarious! People move to Thailand to avoid heating bills?! They move to Thailand for SEX, Martin.

This article says it all:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060915/ap_on_...ation_aftermath

STILLMORE, Ga. - Trailer parks lie abandoned. The poultry plant is scrambling to replace more than half its workforce. Business has dried up at stores where Mexican laborers once lined up to buy food, beer and cigarettes just weeks ago.

This Georgia community of about 1,000 people has become little more than a ghost town since Sept. 1, when federal agents began rounding up illegal immigrants.

The sweep has had the unintended effect of underscoring just how vital the illegal immigrants were to the local economy.

More than 120 illegal immigrants have been loaded onto buses bound for immigration courts in Atlanta, 189 miles away. Hundreds more fled Emanuel County. Residents say many scattered into the woods, camping out for days. They worry some are still hiding without food.

At least one child, born a U.S. citizen, was left behind by his Mexican parents: 2-year-old Victor Perez-Lopez. The toddler's mother, Rosa Lopez, left her son with Julie Rodas when the raids began and fled the state. The boy's father was deported to Mexico.

"When his momma brought this baby here and left him, tears rolled down her face and mine too," Rodas said. "She said, `Julie, will you please take care of my son because I have no money, no way of paying rent?'"

For five years, Rodas has made a living watching the children of workers at the Crider Inc. poultry plant, where the vast majority of employees were Mexican immigrants. She learned Spanish, and considered many immigrants among her closest friends. She threw parties for their children's birthdays and baptisms.

The only child in Rodas' care now, besides her own son, is Victor. Her customers have disappeared.

Federal agents also swarmed into a trailer park operated by David Robinson. Illegal immigrants were handcuffed and taken away. Almost none have returned. Robinson bought an American flag and posted it by the pond out front — upside down, in protest.

"These people might not have American rights, but they've ###### sure got human rights," Robinson said. "There ain't no reason to treat them like animals."

The raids came during a fall election season in which immigration is a top issue.

Last month, the federal government reported that Georgia had the fastest-growing illegal immigrant population in the country. The number more than doubled from an estimated 220,000 in 2000 to 470,000 last year. This year, state lawmakers passed some of the nation's toughest measures targeting illegal immigrants, and Republican Gov. Sonny Perdue last week vowed a statewide crackdown on document fraud.

Other than the Crider plant, there isn't much in Stillmore. Four small stores, a coin laundry and a Baptist church share downtown with City Hall, the fire department and a post office. "We're poor but proud," Mayor Marilyn Slater said, as if that is the town motto.

The 2000 Census put Stillmore's population at 730, but Slater said uncounted immigrants probably made it more than 1,000. Not anymore, with so many homes abandoned and the streets practically empty.

"This reminds me of what I read about Nazi Germany, the Gestapo coming in and yanking people up," Slater said.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokesman Marc Raimondi would not discuss details of the raids. "We can't lose sight of the fact that these people were here illegally," Raimondi said.

At Sucursal Salina No. 2, a store stocked with Mexican fruit sodas and snacks, cashier Alberto Gonzalez said Wednesday that the owner may shutter the place. By midday, Gonzalez has had only six customers. Normally, he would see 100.

The B&S convenience store, owned by Keith and Regan Slater, the mayor's son and grandson, has lost about 80 percent of its business.

"These people come over here to make a better way of life, not to blow us up," complained Keith Slater, who keeps a portrait of Ronald Reagan on the wall. "I'm a die-hard Republican, but I think we missed the boat with this one."

Since the mid-1990s, Stillmore has grown dependent on the paychecks of Mexican workers who originally came for seasonal farm labor, picking the area's famous Vidalia onions. Many then took year-round jobs at the Crider plant, with a workforce of about 900.

Crider President David Purtle said the agents began inspecting the company's employment records in May. They found 700 suspected illegal immigrants, and supervisors handed out letters over the summer ordering them to prove they came to the U.S. legally or be fired. Only about 100 kept their jobs.

The arrests started at the plant Sept. 1. Over the Labor Day weekend, agents with guns and bulletproof vests converged on workers' homes after getting the addresses from Crider's files.

Antonio Lopez, who came here two years ago from Chiapas, Mexico, and worked at the Crider plant, said agents kicked in his front door. Lopez, 32, and his 15-year-old son were handcuffed and taken by bus to Atlanta with 30 others. Because of the boy, Lopez said, both were allowed to return. In his back pocket, he carries an order to return to Atlanta for a court hearing Feb. 2.

But now, "there's no people here and I don't have any work," he said.

The poultry plant has limped along with half its normal workforce. Crider increased its starting wages by $1 an hour to help recruit new workers.

Stacie Bell, 23, started work canning chicken at Crider a week ago. She said the pay, $7.75 an hour, led her to leave her $5.60-an-hour job as a Wal-Mart cashier in nearby Statesboro. Still, Bell said she felt bad about the raids.

"If they knew eventually that they were going to have to do that, they should have never let them come over here," she said.

... and asked how many tenants have tourist visas. ... She said between 30% and 50% had tourist visas.

Hi John K,

And then, how many of these 10% can get a valid visa ? (nom-Imm O, Tourist, ...)

Pattaya46

Your calculations are 100% off. It's not 10%, it's 40% or more. I know many many people on VOA. I'm the only person I know here on a NON IMM B visa. All my friends are on VOA (30 days) doing a VR to get another 30 days.

In my condo building, there are 25 farangs. None of them have a work permit. They all have 30 day visas and get the additional 30 days at the immigration office and then do VR to cambodia. My building only has 40 units. So, do that math...

Thailand recently simplified the process for foreigners who want to become permanent residents. The amount of paperwork required has been slashed and the time involved reportedly cut from more than a year to about four months.

This must refer to the elusive residency permit?

Will be very interested in hearing more about this.

Me too, the OP also implies that non imm-'o' visas (visas in obtained in ones own homeland) will be unaffected. I hope so, as though it won't deter me from visiting. I do know that many tourists will be discouraged by not having the easy visa run to visa run option now open to them!

On a lighter note....

I expect now will see a great surge of guys to stock up on the naughty contraband (red rocket pills!) found on the border crossings! ;0

Now here is something that every Thai person in the world should read. They might only care if this all goes away. The new visa rulings will surely pack a major impact on everybody's lives here:

Also, for all the posters here, please read this! This is us, the farang community:

Brilliantly said F1 Visa Runner!

Spent on what?

Rental contracts, private and ltd comapnies operated

In every thinkable small shop or shopping centre buying all kind of things you need

Lots of thai products in Chiang mai

Phantip plaza

Nana plaza

Most thai people owned restaurants

Buying new and used motorbikes

Buying cars

Fillling them up with gasoline

Repair shops

Giving my ex-girlfriend a 500.000 b business which now gives her approx 10.000 b a day in profit.

My ex-gf is employing 10 thais because of this

My ex-gf family

Park fees

Visa extensions

Skytrain

VIP bus companies

Accomodation everywere in Thailand

Beach chairs

...... and the list goes on forever.

Its all spent widely on all the small people to big ltd companies like Honda that pays a lot of revenue tax.

This money is no everywhere in the thai system.

Doesn`t matter where in the system the money is now but the money being in the thais system for sure matters!

As the above shows this is also the fact of many being here on tourist conditions. It has been simple and easy being here which also means its simple and easy to break out if you have had enough. If the system wasn`t like this and I dont know if I would be here in the first place.

I belive this 15 million brought in by me matters

Now I dont got much of a chioce though as we are soon waiting for our first "luk krung"

F1 Visa Runner! Thank you for reminding me.

And a big huge congratulations to you!

New baby = Movie star, TV star, Prime Minister? Best of luck to you and your new family! :o

'Old and in the way' in Phuket

Riddle me this Thaiman, how the hel_l do these people know that people on a tourist visa are working here? THis is complete bullshit, they have no idea. They think that they are here working but think about it for a second, who gets a job without getting the work permit? I've never seen anyone working here that didn't have the work permit. Work permit equals 750 baht tax from employee and the same amount gets paid by the employer. So, <deleted>, should i just stop bitching about it.

Sure, i'm done with this. I've said my peace.

I hate Thailand politics and Thaskin can kiss my white ass, not on the left side, not on the right side but right in the GOD ###### MIDDLE!!!

Pucker up all you Tourists... It's time to bend over and take it like a man...

I'M OUTTTTTAAAA HEREE!!!!

Long live the AllStar Band at CM2 and long live white women...

Riddle me this Thaiman, how the hel_l do these people know that people on a tourist visa are working here? THis is complete bullshit, they have no idea. They think that they are here working but think about it for a second, who gets a job without getting the work permit? I've never seen anyone working here that didn't have the work permit. Work permit equals 750 baht tax from employee and the same amount gets paid by the employer. So, <deleted>, should i just stop bitching about it.

I hate Thailand politics and Thaskin can kiss my white ass, not on the left side, not on the right side but right in the GOD ###### MIDDLE!!!

ummmm bye bye Dippy .... <if you ever meet a person working in Thailand ... come back and let us know>

Edited by jdinasia

Riddle me this Thaiman, how the hel_l do these people know that people on a tourist visa are working here? THis is complete bullshit, they have no idea. They think that they are here working but think about it for a second, who gets a job without getting the work permit? I've never seen anyone working here that didn't have the work permit. Work permit equals 750 baht tax from employee and the same amount gets paid by the employer. So, &lt;deleted&gt;, should i just stop bitching about it.

Oh, and one more thing...

ThaiVisa charges wayyyy toooo much for advertising. They are price gouging by asking people to pay 75 dollars for 50CPM impressions. Just a rip off. It's so sad to see internet business come to this. Nobody clicks on banners anymore. It's just wrong for them to charge for an impression. Should be charging for clicks if you ask me.

On a personal note... If i have one. There is a really cool bar on the 2nd floor on Soi 3 or 4, not sure but it's a arab bar. I'm an American and I went in there last night and I was the only white guy smoking the apple stuff. You get it? American with all Arabs... I was scared shitless but my Russian girlfriend, who is also Muslim, told me no worries. I thought for sure my head was coming off. You know what? I made a couple new friends. So despite what most people say about Americans, I for one love Arabs. They are cool people and they don't want to kill me.

Now pardon me while i book my ticket to the number one destination in the Middle East. I'm going to Bagdad baby! YEAH!!! I hear it's lovly this time of year....

Riddle me this Thaiman, how the hel_l do these people know that people on a tourist visa are working here? THis is complete bullshit, they have no idea. They think that they are here working but think about it for a second, who gets a job without getting the work permit? I've never seen anyone working here that didn't have the work permit. Work permit equals 750 baht tax from employee and the same amount gets paid by the employer. So, &lt;deleted&gt;, should i just stop bitching about it.

ummmm bye bye Dippy .... <if you ever meet a person working in Thailand ... come back and let us know>

Exactly!

You got it.

Thailand recieved a lot of bad press in the U.S. over the Karr fiasco.

Eg, Nancy Grace on CNN national news ranting about Bangkok

Ray

maybe i missing the point here, but wasn't Karr born and raised in the U.S .. and also (alhtough i think he has not been charged) the U.S police officers did not actually appehend Karr of even suspect him of the crime.

so to rant about bangkok Nancy is somewhat stupid as really they should be looking at there own doorstep before critizing a country that i suspect they have never visited and know only about through there particulary uniformative and biased press !!

hey

You're dead wrong. I know plenty who work without work permits. I'd say and so would many others, that half of the teachers in Thailand don't have work permits. Some government schools employing farangs as English teachers don't even have any idea how to get a work permit for a foreigner. I think a lot of schools are going to be seriously lacking in teachers by 2007. So, perhaps you don't know any teachers.

For many Thai employers, dealing with work permits for foreigners is just too complicated and costly for them that they just hire workers without them. This probably happens in schools, mostly.

The problem with this new Thai immigration policy is that it may root out illegal workers, but it will also root out people who have income coming from overseas and don't need to work in Thailand, and are too young to get a retirement visa. That means lost money. There's good and bad for them.

And those of you who have proper visas, why are you complaining and want to leave? You won't be affected.

You're dead wrong. I know plenty who work without work permits. I'd say and so would many others, that half of the teachers in Thailand don't have work permits. Some government schools employing farangs as English teachers don't even have any idea how to get a work permit for a foreigner. I think a lot of schools are going to be seriously lacking in teachers by 2007. So, perhaps you don't know any teachers.

For many Thai employers, dealing with work permits for foreigners is just too complicated and costly for them that they just hire workers without them. This probably happens in schools, mostly.

The problem with this new Thai immigration policy is that it may root out illegal workers, but it will also root out people who have income coming from overseas and don't need to work in Thailand, and are too young to get a retirement visa. That means lost money. There's good and bad for them.

And those of you who have proper visas, why are you complaining and want to leave? You won't be affected.

How the hel_l is it complicated? I needed a work permit to open a bank account and I didn't have a job here. I called sunbeltasia and went on one day and got a work permit. It's so ###### easy so not sure why they say it's complicated. They put the paper work in, i went to the office with my passport and a photo and got a pretty work permit. It's nice and blue too.

But I find it strange that teachers are working without a work permit. Ask me, that would be the first place I would look if I was the tax man! Crack down on them, not the people that put so much money into the economy!

Idiots!

All those that are writing smug comments about these new regulations ridding Thailand of farang scum need to think more carefully. This is going to affect you big time let me assure you. Do you own a property here? Do you have a business? Do you have a lot of your cash in Baht? Fortunately i have none of these and im very glad i don't because it's these people who should be concerned.

I've been here for 2 years and i know how important farangs like myself are to this economy. I am under 50, do not work illegally, have an adequate income to support myself in Thailand and have always obeyed and respected the law during my stay here. I support a TGF and family (and do not wish to marry), i employ a maid and rent 2 properties in BKK. If Thailand do not wish for me to stay here any longer then i certainly respect this decision. It is their own country and they set the laws. I will return to the UK it is not a problem for me. However, i just hope they truly understand the consequences of their actions. I would hate to see innocent, hard working Thai people suffer as a result of this and i am convinced that they will.

I also think it is a little offensive to say that if you don't have a lot of cash then that person is scum. I know some very nice people who live here who don't have a lot of money. They have enough to support there simple lifestyle and are law abiding citizens. They are not taking anything from Thailand they are only giving.

It's no big deal to many of the farangs who have to go back to the US or the UK, it is a much bigger deal for Thailand.

Very good post, I couldn't agree more

Hi John K,

Pattaya46

Actually I disagree with you at least on one level. I was not about to make and distinction between tourist visa types as I don’t think she had that information anyway. I will let her come to her own conclusions now that she has a copy of the notice. I am sure there will be phone calls made to the head office. I don’t know how many other apartments they own in the group but I suspect at least 5 more.

This brings up a question in that why are the Thais not being told?

Is it deliberate meaning that this is just smoke to hide some political dirty work by distracting non Thais who would talk or post about it? Hence just a distraction and will never be implemented.

Is it because the political fallout would be devastating for incumbents?

Is it because the Thai medai has not connected all the dots yet?

Whatever the reason the Thais do need to know as it will have negative effects in their lives.

It certainly would be worth a courtesy walk down the office with a copy of the notice. It is in Thai and English so there will be no doubts that it means vacancies for a very long time. If enough people do that and enough Thais get on the phone, certainly the Thais could divert this negative economic typhoon before it hits.

Very good post, I couldn't agree more

It's a big deal to me and i have a non imm b visa. I put a lot of money into this country and I hate to see the little guy take it up the ass because some crooked poli says they need more money from the farang. DUHHHHHH Hello!!!! What do you think all the these people are doing with their money? It's being put right back into the Thai economy. I would be upset and I would understand if all these farangs were taking their money they make here and pumping it into US or UK. But &lt;deleted&gt;? They aren't doing that... It's going right back into Thailand. Just so wrong on soooooo many levels...

BANGKOK: -- "Thailand never turns away people with problems, no matter where they're from," run the lyrics to a famous Thai country song. "They cross the border, the Mekong River where the water is murky/To ask for the protection of Siam/We welcome them with a smile."

It would be hard to find a place with a more deeply ingrained sense of hospitality than Thailand. Tolerance of outsiders' quirks and an overall laissez- faire attitude make the country one of Asia's top tourist destinations, drawing more than 11 million visitors last year.

But Thais are now pondering, as they do periodically, whether the doors to the well-advertised "Amazing Thailand" have been opened too wide.

VERY true!

I don't think there are many countries which open their doors as wide as Thailand does.

opalhort

This may very well be true but there are a great many countries that open their doors as wide:

Cuba, PI, Cambodia, Brazil, Costa Rica to name only a few

How the hel_l is it complicated? I needed a work permit to open a bank account and I didn't have a job here. I called sunbeltasia and went on one day and got a work permit. It's so ###### easy so not sure why they say it's complicated. They put the paper work in, i went to the office with my passport and a photo and got a pretty work permit. It's nice and blue too.

But I find it strange that teachers are working without a work permit. Ask me, that would be the first place I would look if I was the tax man! Crack down on them, not the people that put so much money into the economy!

Idiots!

This is the way they are cracking down on them it appears. As opposed to raiding every school in Thailand. Like I said, many employers just don't know how to get work permits for foreigners and don't take the time to find out. This is Thailand, after all, not the States.

Also, sometimes companies or schools want to employ another farang, but all their slots for farang employees are used up due to Thai work permit restrictions. So, what's the option? Work illegally. It happens more often than you think.

VERY true!

opalhort

This may very well be true but there are a great many countries that open their doors as wide:

Cuba, PI, Cambodia, Brazil, Costa Rica to name only a few

I'm outta her guys. I having dinner with my GF and put some money into the Thai economy. I won't post anymore but let the record show that I"M PISSED OFF about it.

Later guys. Loved debating and chatting with you...

Long live Singha!!!

There are plenty of people here working without visas (teachers, dive industry, timeshare, internet business etc).

As for all tourists needing to pucker up, I would think that 99% of tourists to Thailand stay for less than 90 days, so it's not going to affect the majority of genuine tourists greatly.

Idiots!

This is the way they are cracking down on them it appears. As opposed to raiding every school in Thailand. Like I said, many employers just don't know how to get work permits for foreigners and don't take the time to find out. This is Thailand, after all, not the States.

Also, sometimes companies or schools want to employ another farang, but all their slots for farang employees are used up due to Thai work permit restrictions. So, what's the option? Work illegally. It happens more often than you think.

Thailand equals NO WIN SITUATION

Not the LOS's anymore, it means Lots Of Shit....

Later...

This article says it all:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060915/ap_on_...ation_aftermath

STILLMORE, Ga. - Trailer parks lie abandoned. The poultry plant is scrambling to replace more than half its workforce. Business has dried up at stores where Mexican laborers once lined up to buy food, beer and cigarettes just weeks ago.

This Georgia community of about 1,000 people has become little more than a ghost town since Sept. 1, when federal agents began rounding up illegal immigrants.

The sweep has had the unintended effect of underscoring just how vital the illegal immigrants were to the local economy.

Kevinsan, great story and outstanding comparison to the blossoming situation here. I didn't repost the whole story as it was long but if anyone missed it then go back a page. Nice work and this situation is certainly comparable