Big Impact Expected From Tougher Visa Rules

the whole thing is so absolutely ludicrous it defies description.

how many billion baht is the marketing department of thai government pouring into worldwide advertising and pr campaigns to ATTRACT more people to come to the kingdom, pretty please?

their government maintains offices in every major country for the only purpose of attracting and enticing folks to come and spend some money.

Scizophrenic as can be, while marketing is spending billions of tax baht on trying to attract visitors, another department of the bureaucracy, called Immigration, is paranoically issuing new rules effectively discouraging people from coming and/or staying/investing in the Kingdom.

Another beautiful example of the usual insanity of bureaucracies (by no means confined to Thailand)

Sooner or later even they will find out that visitors have choices...that there are many many nice countries to visit, live, invest and spend money.

Goodbye land of no more smiles

Yes sir...good bye....and good ridence!

Hey, we just got a new way to spell riddance. This is turning into an English lesson here. 1st we had ridend, now we have ridence. classic stuff

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o-->

QUOTE(Basil B @ 2006-09-16 03:30:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As most real tourists only spend a few weeks in Thailand, then these new rules will not affect them.

Those who spend months on end in the kingdom are not real tourists.

Good one Baz!

I have 2 friends that visit Thailand up to a dozen times a year, one of them is there now at a food conference.

One of them has a Thai wife and goes to Thailand with his wife as a " real tourist " as well as the business trips.

These guys are well educated and experts in thier fields. They travel throughout Asia but use Bangkok as a base.

They come from New Zealand wich is visa exempt!!!!

They dont spend "months on end in the kingdom" but they WILL be effected by these changes.

I have been "living" in Thailand legally since 2002 and am absolutely delighted that thet Thai govt has finally passed a law that will toss out every farang that has no business staying in this country without the proper paperwork, documentation....or money to make a positive contribution. This includes fellow westerners and all the other miserable back packers who slip in and out of Thailand claiming to make contributions, while people like myself make serious investments.

Bye bye low lifes!

I do hope your "serious investments" dont go belly up so you become a low life, although with your attitude I'm sure you're well on your way

I'd like to see a little less of the "throw the bums out" atmosphere here. This site is supposed to be expat-friendly, remember. We've all got to support each other in difficult times. As other posters have pointed out (some in the recent past, and very recently vindicated), *anyone* could be next.

"Steven"

Hi Gonzo the Face,

Guess you haven't been here for very long, say over 10 years> more? Please do yourself, and your Thai people here, a huge favor; read 'Sri Tononchai'. It is required reading for every Thai kid, they respect this guy as a master of masters. Ever wonder where the term 'white elephant' came from? Well now you'll know.

The money I spent is just money, money is a tool. And, yes, you had better believe that I do know wheverof that I speak. I've been here a long time, seen the inner workings first hand. Shelled out baskshish first hand, it takes a while to get to that level. Friends tell me to write a book.

Believe it, there is an ulterior motive in this visa thing. A lot of it is about saving face for the Karr deal, but there is much more. Swedes in Phuket, Russians in Ko Samui, Germans in Chiang Rai, major crooks, and they all have lead to the demise of the Thai visa as we know it. Oh, you didn't know about those guys? Clue yourself.

Election time, get ready to duck or run for cover or both.

Again, please read 'Sri Tononchai'.

'Old and in the way' in Phuket

LOL . .havent I read all these posts in 5-6 other identical threads on this forum in the last few days?

I was at the One-Stop Visa / WP place yesterday, renewing my work permit. During the customary 'meet and greet' with one of the senior officials there, I asked her what she thought of the changes and why they were being introduced.

"Very good. We welcome good farang who come to work, pay taxes, behave respectfully. No problem. But too many bad farang live here long time and not have right visa. Time to end that."

I wai-ed her and said, yes, i completely agree with you.

LOL . .havent I read all these posts in 5-6 other identical threads on this forum in the last few days?

I was at the One-Stop Visa / WP place yesterday, renewing my work permit. During the customary 'meet and greet' with one of the senior officials there, I asked her what she thought of the changes and why they were being introduced.

"Very good. We welcome good farang who come to work, pay taxes, behave respectfully. No problem. But too many bad farang live here long time and not have right visa. Time to end that."

You taking the piss here,or were you brown nosing?

Oh so what you are saying is that one must work in Thailand or they're not welcome. That's a new one on me. Thanks for sharing, you have been most helpful once again.

Well.. the new rulus are not much different then the Schengen Visa.

We still can travell to THL, but the Thai can't to a Schengen country without filling in a truckload of paperwork, prove of (sufficient) income, prove residentie (hotel:etc) copy of return ticket. etc etc, How about the U.S?? even worse.

If you like to stay longer, do it the proper and legal way....I know it's a lot of hasle aswell, but worth it and if you not want to put your energy in aplying for the right visa then...........you probably have no bussyniss LOS. then ......?????

Think twice before posting nonsense like this. ...

or, even once.

you're not comparing apples to apples, you're comparing apples to tractors. the only similarity is both can sometimes be found on an apple farm.

Great news.

This should cut down the numbers of Farang dregs, dross and undesirables who are taking advantage of the lax Thai visitor laws, scamming the system and up to all kinds of illegal activities.

These scum are not community minded people and do not create any benefits for Thailand whatsoever, including the illegal business controllers, bars, pimps etc.

Hopefully this new ACT will make the legitimate Farang long stay residents, (Retired, marrieds, students, skilled workers) presents more valued in Thailand and pave the way for decent Farang communities, especially in Chiang Mai.

As for rest,

Good Ridends

Who exactly are these "scum" you are talking about?? What scamming of the system are you talking about.

How about some examples of illegal business that these "scum" run?

How many non Thai bar owners and non Thai pimps are there? Can you seriously say that they make up any more than 10% of all bars and pimps in Thailand?

Most farang who work in Thailand are teachers. How are they scamming the system?

What are you jelous of people who have enough money to drink and hang out and not have to work? How are they hurting Thailand?

Why are you so hateful?

Hey francois!

How's about we turn off the electricity from 1-5pm and close the gas stations at 6pm. Oh yeah, that's Burma, sorry. Everything else you mentioned was Burma, so I just thought...

Hey I know, no ice making at night! That makes about as much sense.

On a lighter note. The 15-17 foreign owned corporations that were told to stop building their new Tescos, Carrefours, BigCs, 7-11s, etc. have told the "caretaking" ruling party to go eff themselves. Let's see how that plays out.

Also, today, a (small) Swiss investor shifting 225 million Baht into Thailand for business purposes has dropped out of his hotel backing deal here in Phuket. 'Too risky' were his exact words. I guess that's just chump money for the Thais. Another read my lips, No backpackers!

'Forbes' Magazine, of the USA, was one of the first media conglomerates to get their hands on this bit of visa news, and is now mulling whether to give a 'cautionary' flag to Thailand for the tourist/business travel sector.

TRT is throwing out the baby with the bath water. Get ready for the economic hit Thailand! Bar owners, teachers, dive instructors, indeed. What a stinking cesspool of BS that is.

Blame the farangs! Taksin's favorite motto.

'Old and in the way' in Phuket

This can be the next reality yes.

As a young bloke and I must at least have brought into Thailand 15 million baht over a 4 year period on tourist visa and all coming from legal assets.

Most of it spent.. Spent on what?

Rental contracts, private and ltd comapnies operated

In every thinkable small shop or shopping centre buying all kind of things you need

Lots of thai products in Chiang mai

Phantip plaza

Nana plaza

Most thai people owned restaurants

Buying new and used motorbikes

Buying cars

Fillling them up with gasoline

Repair shops

Giving my ex-girlfriend a 500.000 b business which now gives her approx 10.000 b a day in profit.

My ex-gf is employing 10 thais because of this

My ex-gf family

Park fees

Visa extensions

Skytrain

VIP bus companies

Accomodation everywere in Thailand

Beach chairs

...... and the list goes on forever.

Its all spent widely on all the small people to big ltd companies like Honda that pays a lot of revenue tax.

This money is no everywhere in the thai system.

Doesn`t matter where in the system the money is now but the money being in the thais system for sure matters!

As the above shows this is also the fact of many being here on tourist conditions. It has been simple and easy being here which also means its simple and easy to break out if you have had enough. If the system wasn`t like this and I dont know if I would be here in the first place.

I belive this 15 million brought in by me matters

Now I dont got much of a chioce though as we are soon waiting for our first "luk krung" :o

It's funny that she would equate having a work permit with behaving respectfully. Behaving with respect towards immigration laws, perhaps, but it doesn't somehow magically affect the other areas of your life.

Edited by Jimjim

I have been "living" in Thailand legally since 2002 and am absolutely delighted that thet Thai govt has finally passed a law that will toss out every farang that has no business staying in this country without the proper paperwork, documentation....or money to make a positive contribution. This includes fellow westerners and all the other miserable back packers who slip in and out of Thailand claiming to make contributions, while people like myself make serious investments.

Bye bye low lifes!

does paperwork, documentation or money make a positive contribution? Your 'serious investments are likely laughable ..... though a decent English teacher's contributions may in fact be life changing for many people.

at a guess though ...since you started with posts like this ..... people will be thinking 'troll'

Edited by jdinasia

Great news.

This should cut down the numbers of Farang dregs, dross and undesirables who are taking advantage of the lax Thai visitor laws, scamming the system and up to all kinds of illegal activities.

These scum are not community minded people and do not create any benefits for Thailand whatsoever, including the illegal business controllers, bars, pimps etc.

Hopefully this new ACT will make the legitimate Farang long stay residents, (Retired, marrieds, students, skilled workers) presents more valued in Thailand and pave the way for decent Farang communities, especially in Chiang Mai.

As for rest,

Good Ridends

Who exactly are these "scum" you are talking about?? What scamming of the system are you talking about.

How about some examples of illegal business that these "scum" run?

How many non Thai bar owners and non Thai pimps are there? Can you seriously say that they make up any more than 10% of all bars and pimps in Thailand?

Most farang who work in Thailand are teachers. How are they scamming the system?

What are you jelous of people who have enough money to drink and hang out and not have to work? How are they hurting Thailand?

Why are you so hateful?

Maybe some farang didn't chat with him in Chiang Mai

Our understanding and nothing has changed on this till now. It is stamps not days. You are here one hour in Thailand, it counts as one 30 day stamp(entry) used.

From the Nation today confirms what we have been told...

Nation

From October 1, tourists from the 41 visa-exempt countries may still enter Thailand without visas and stay for up to 30 days, but they will only be able to extend their stay here two times - that is, for a maximum of 90 days.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

The last bit of "Official" news I saw used the wording - several times but no more than 90 days. Implying you can enter as many times as you like but the cumulative stay must be 90 days or less.

Bye bye low lifes!

Did someone kick over a rock ?

Edited by lamphun

It's funny that she would equate having a work permit with behaving respectfully. Behaving with respect towards immigration laws, perhaps, but it doesn't somehow magically affect the other areas of your life.

Maybe. I'm just relaying what she said.

)

How about those who have Fake marriages? I am sure that is against the law.

Their entry as a tourist might be OK but as soon as they do the other things, they are breaking Laws.

maybe i'm missing an essential point here, but why the f*** would anyone with a fake marriage be staying in thailand as a tourist????

please upgrade your crayon box for future philosophizing, crayola make a box with 64 colors, a massive upgrade on your current black and white palette.

Maybe. I'm just relaying what she said.

Ya, I wasn't commenting on what you said, but on what you said she said.

This whole thread reminds me of the recent illegal immigration issue in the U.S., which is still an issue. At least the farang aren't sneaking over the border without even getting a stamp.

I was being polite and agreeing with her.

sounds more like brown nosing to me

Yes, you're probably. I think my views on this subject are well known. If it's brown-nosing to agree with someone who believes the same, then i was brown-nosing.

Meanwhile, my workpermit is tucked safely away in my pocket, thank you very much.

:o

I vacationed in southern Thailand in 2003. What started out as a two week stay turned into almost 6 weeks. I loved the climate, the people as well as the low cost of living. After selling my home in the US I arrived here in Khaolak on March 20th 2004. I was 69 years of age at the time intended to spend the rest of my days here by applying for a Non O retirement visa. I transferred 3 Million Baht from one US into a Thai account.

Renting a small house, I met a young fellow here in town, married, one baby who operated a transportation company, spoke reasonable English but needed some money to expand his fleet while building a restaurant at the same time on his in-laws property. I lent him close to a million Baht. He thought I was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Suwan seemed to have connections and promised to get my non O retirement visa in short order. We traveled to Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur and supposedly had everything going.

Meanwhile I was involved in a car accident in Phuket and this is where he was indispensable dealing with the police, the insurer and the hospital. The insurance company balked at paying, since the victim was sent to a hospital which wanted to amputate the poor man’s leg above the knee. I however insisted on a transfer to the International Hospital where they did save the fellow’s limb. I paid all the hospital charges which came to just under 600,000 Baht, as well as the 200,000 Baht settlement for the family. I still had money in a US account which was now transferred into my account here. That left me with just under a million.

Then along came the tsunami. Suwan was visibly upset, having lost 4 out of 6 Minibuses as well 1 driver and 2 tourists that fateful day. I told him not to worry about the money, we will manage. The insurance company did send a check for 180,000 Baht which promptly bounced. Since I still had money in the bank I managed fine just on whatever social security sends me every month. One day Suwan received a letter stating additional customers had started a class action suit against the parent company of the insurer and a hearing would be held at the court in Phuket. I attended 2 sessions with Suwan but since I had fallen on my butt 2 weeks prior, injuring my spine, sitting was most uncomfortable. Besides I could not understand the proceedings anyway which were all in Thai, I therefore let him go by himself from then on. One day he called and said he had a check in the amount of 148,000 Baht in his Hands. Well, better than nothing I thought. He had my bank book and asked me to send him a signed power of attorney form, which his mother would bring up in order to withdraw money to pay the lawyer. Done deal.

That was the last anyone, including his family heard from him for 2 weeks. Somehow

I had a feeling something was amiss A trip to the bank confirmed my worst fears. He had cleaned me out. He didn’t even leave me enough for a bottle of cheap Mekong whiskey. His family knows where he is (in Phuket) but won't tell me. Funny how quick the smiles disappeared, after my money was gone.

What can I do concerning the new visa regulations? I always hated those visa runs to Ranong anyway. I live frugally and have enough in the Bank again to afford a trip to Malaysia, or other country, except the US. Too far anyway. I wouldn’t mind doing it once a year or semi-annually. I had purchased a new Mitsubishi pickup paying cash for it. Suwan however, without my knowledge had registered the truck in HIS name and refuses to send me the papers. (Knowing him, he probably borrowed money on it) I have only the receipt. He also still has my pass book. I can’t even prove I did have 2 million in the account at one time.

I can not, nor would I want stay away for 3 months. I have a house with a 4year pre-paid lease, a dog, the truck and care for a couple of kids. I spend all my money here in town.

But what are the alternatives?

Can I borrow 500,000 Baht, please?

This includes fellow westerners and all the other miserable back packers who slip in and out of Thailand claiming to make contributions, while people like myself make serious investments.

Bye bye low lifes!

home sweet home .... now the community begins to discriminate themselfs ;-)

great work.

tell me if you reached the bottom line (i mean realy bottom line)

and your daddy's mobile is not reachable ...

i will meet up then and have a big laugh about you

and if i have some 20 baht over i will print your statement about "low lives" and give to you before you get in deportations jail !

come one guys .... this is a community .. we should be together find a solution and not

like EU or US village peoples ... talking crab !

This includes fellow westerners and all the other miserable back packers who slip in and out of Thailand claiming to make contributions, while people like myself make serious investments.

Bye bye low lifes!

home sweet home .... now the community begins to discriminate themselfs ;-)

great work.

tell me if you reached the bottom line (i mean realy bottom line)

and your daddy's mobile is not reachable ...

i will meet up then and have a big laugh about you

and if i have some 20 baht over i will print your statement about "low lives" and give to you before you get in deportations jail !

come one guys .... this is a community .. we should be together find a solution and not

like EU or US village peoples ... talking crab !

There's the answer! If someone could find a talking crab! we could use it as our spokesperson !!!

What I did today was I went to the office of my apartments just out of curiosity and asked how many tenants have tourist visas. She asked why and I said because I wanted to get some idea of how many vacancies there would be next month. She had no clue as to what I was talking about. Then I printed out the notice George posted from the immigration website and I saw her face turn from amusement to panic when I explained to her that this translates to vacant apartments. She said between 30% and 50% had tourist visas.

It would seem that non of this has hit the Thai news. At first glance it seems not to apply to them. Perhaps for the Thais this is like when the sea recedes just before a tsunami. Only people with a keen sense recognize the warning signs and sound the alarm.

Yes John, it was amazing that NONE of the Thais know anything about this. I have just come back to my apartment now after some shopping (gosh yes - spending some money with Thais) to be captured by the General Manager asking about what I had said to her staff earlier. As it happens, I was holding the regulations as copied here on this site and showed them to her. She has a good understanding of English and (again) the white face of reality set in. MANY PEOPLE MOVING OUT!!!

I would urge everybody to point this new rule out to their apartment owner/manager WITHOUT DELAY. Its only if enogh THAIS know about the impact of this that something may be done..

I was at the Thai Connsul in Gothenburg on Friday to get a non immigration visa, i only wanted 6 month she was willing to give me up to one year whit no hasel.

I have a thai girl friend we are not married but we do have 4 kids together, she said i would never

have problem geting a long time visa, even our kids only holds Swedish Passports.

Big impact expected from tougher visa-free entry rules

BANGKOK: -- The days of foreign visitors doing endless "border runs" in order to live - and often work - in Thailand are over, the Immigration Police announced yesterday.

The Kingdom will tighten its immigration rules for tourists who exploit visa-free regulations, starting from the end of the month.

The move will affect tens of thousands of visitors from 41 countries who have been allowed to stay in Thailand for up to 30 days without a visa - often for many months or years.

The 41 visa-exempt countries include Australia, the United Kingdom, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the United States.

Tourists have been able to extend their stay by travelling to neighbouring countries - Cambodia, Malaysia, Laos and Burma - and returning with a further 30-day entry stamp.

But new rules have been issued because an increasing number of tourists have stayed for extended periods - without paying proper amounts of tax. This has also helped them avoid close scrutiny by authorities here and in their homeland.

"We are trying to make it more difficult for bad people to get in," Immigration Police chief Lt General Suwat Thamrongsrisakul said at a press conference yesterday.

"I don't think it's going to hurt good people because they can apply for a tourist visa [in their homeland]," he said.

The move is expected to have a big impact on the foreign community and some sectors such as teaching and diving, plus places where there are many bars run by foreigners, such as Pattaya and Chiang Mai.

From October 1, tourists from the 41 visa-exempt countries may still enter Thailand without visas and stay for up to 30 days, but they will only be able to extend their stay here two times - that is, for a maximum of 90 days.

And tourists who stay for 90 days must leave the Kingdom for at least 90 days before being permitted to re-enter Thailand.

Suwat denied the crackdown was related to the arrest in Bangkok last month of John Mark Karr, the American teacher who was thought to have been involved in the high-profile JonBenet Ramsey murder case. He said there were many reasons that extended back for a long period.

Suwat conceded the move may cause some problems, but said "maybe we have to do something to make it better [later]".

However, if foreigners wanted to work here they should get a work visa, he said.

A source added: "Under the current rules, people from these countries can stay in Thailand for as long as they want. Some even stay here for one year. Many work illegally in Thailand."

Instead of sightseeing, these tourists have taken advantage of the visa exemption by getting married to Thai women "for reasons other than love", and have conducted business here. Many of them have not paid tax.

The immigration move is a hot topic among foreign residents, and comes at a time when many are fearful about possible changes in regard to firms with local nominees.

Hundreds of comments were logged on local Web boards within hours of the Immigration Department press conference. Some said foreigners should abandon Thailand for neighbouring countries, while others predicted it might force school bosses to pay foreign teachers a proper wage or cause a boom in men wanting to marry Thai women.

Most believed the move could cost Thailand a small fortune.

Meanwhile, plans are under way to simplify the process for foreign teachers to work here as the current system requires 13 separate steps, which take many months to complete.

Heads of international schools have been meeting with the Immigration Department to try to simplify the process.

Thailand recently simplified the process for foreigners who want to become permanent residents. The amount of paperwork required has been slashed and the time involved reportedly cut from more than a year to about four months.

Last year Thailand tightened its immigration rules for South Asian tourists, who were allowed to apply for visas on arrival that permitted them to stay for 30 days. Many of them took advantage by travelling to neighbouring countries and returning to get a new visa on arrival at the airport.

Under the new rules, they are allowed to obtain a visa on arrival only twice from neighbouring countries. They are then required to return to their country of origin to obtain an entry visa to Thailand.

Jim Pollard

-- The Nation 2006-09-16

Here is the new rules from Oct 1, 2006

You know, I've been coming to Thailand for 10 years now. I live here now on a Non Imm B visa. This doesn't affect me but it still pisses me off. My business is the internet. I pump thousands of dollars a month into this stupid economy. I'm so pissed about this. I have many many friends that won't be able to stay here now. They don't work here, they live here and their money comes from outside the country. I actually don't know anyone that works IN Thailand. They all have money coming in from outside. So, if you ask me, this is complete bullshit. I used to love this country but it seems that day after day, i'm growing more hatred for the powers at be. I'm just ######ing pissed about it. They will soon figure out that the people that live here contribute so much money to the economy in condos, food, beer, beer, beer, taxis, women, women, women and women and when they do, it will be too late. I for one am pulling out at the end of my visa next year and I won't be coming back. This country is leaving such a bad taste in my mouth. It's stupid i say! STUPID! These Thai idiots think they know what they are doing, but the reality is that they are full of shit and i'm afraid that the rest of the country will suffer the most because of some stupid little man and his stupid little agenda.

I feel sorry for all the condo/apartment owners that now will have no income. Guess these ######ing morans didn't think about that now did they. ###### i'm pissed off. I am so mad! I'm going to go take it out on a Russian hooker... No, wait, can't do that because they are gone too. ######!!!!!

Signed.... The Wee Little Dippy Man that will no longer live in Thailand. I will not put my money back into this country.

I wonder how Vietnam is this time of year...