Former Bangkok police chief 'arrested with gun' in Japanese airport

webfact

"We have to clearly check details first, and then we will coordinate with him to ask how we can assist." Shouldn't that be how they can assist the Japanese police in finding out why a person would bring along gun and ammunition in his carry on luggage?

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has been released already. The Thai embassy helped him out.

I find that hard to believe without proof. Sounds like a troll post.

My girlfriend said it was on TV this morning. Sorry, that is the only proof I have.

Maybe other members can confirm. I am not at home, so I cannot confirm.

Poor guy, what could be worse than this? Let's hope they don't find any "go fast" in his pocket. How did that get there?!! You tell me, your the corrupt policeman, tell me you don't plant evidence back in Siam?

Okay! I Give Up!

What does a Police Man, legally allowed to carry a Fire Arm in Thailand, who forgets it in his carry-on luggage, got anything to do with him being corrupt?

Second thought! Forget about it!

Interestingly, the BKK Post report says Suvarnabhumi has a "VIP" gate for VIPs that allows them to pass thru the airport without undergoing any body or luggage checks....

How nice of them!! Hope that gets added to the roster of things ICAO is looking at regarding safety/security provisions in Thai commercial aviation and regulation.

Speaking over the telephone, he gave a different account, saying he did not know how his long-lost handgun was found in his carry-on luggage.

Reminds me of the old Hank Williams Jr, song "Darling you know I wouldn't lie".

Let's hope Japan does not get persuaded to let him go to BBK by Thai officials to get punished here, as with people he would know here would pull strings for just a warning.

He should be treated just like a normal passenger trying to carry a gun on an international bound plane.

Interestingly, the BKK Post report says Suvarnabhumi has a "VIP" gate for VIPs that allows them to pass thru the airport without undergoing any body or luggage checks....

How nice of them!! Hope that gets added to the roster of things ICAO is looking at regarding safety/security provisions in Thai commercial aviation and regulation.

I have an APEC card and I go through the VIP departure room with VIP's and pilots we are fully searched and all our carry bags, even have to take our shoes and belt off. We have to go through the scanner also, so no free pass through.

Poor man, this could happen to anyone.

I've forgotten how many times I've accidentally left a firearm in my carry on bag. biggrin.png

What a weak excuse, carry on bags are used by most for items they will need during the flight so he didn't pack his before heading to the airport ?

Maybe you don't forget your Fire Arm in your Carry-on as you don't own one. But he does!

If you have been through check out at any airport you will noticed a big bin full of knives, screw drivers, sharp objects, and all kinds of stuff which is illegal to take with you on carry-on. So even if you are an elephant and don't forget, many people do. I forgot my Swiss Army Knife once.

This is not as serious as everyone here seems to believe. Embarrassing...perhaps! But not serious!

When they discover it was an accident they will let him go. I have no doubt about that.

But I do like reading these Thai Police Bashers Nonsense here, and trying to make a Federal Case out of nothing. I bet the Boys on Air Force One are not carrying Water Pistols either.

I've forgotten how many times I've accidentally left a firearm in my carry on bag. biggrin.png

What a weak excuse, carry on bags are used by most for items they will need during the flight so he didn't pack his before heading to the airport ?

Maybe you don't forget your Fire Arm in your Carry-on as you don't own one. But he does!

If you have been through check out at any airport you will noticed a big bin full of knives, screw drivers, sharp objects, and all kinds of stuff which is illegal to take with you on carry-on. So even if you are an elephant and don't forget, many people do. I forgot my Swiss Army Knife once.

This is not as serious as everyone here seems to believe. Embarrassing...perhaps! But not serious!

When they discover it was an accident they will let him go. I have no doubt about that.

But I do like reading these Thai Police Bashers Nonsense here, and trying to make a Federal Case out of nothing. I bet the Boys on Air Force One are not carrying Water Pistols either.

An ' accident ', not serious ? Are you serious, being sarcastic or trolling ?

If he gets or has already been released ( as a previous post roported) by Japan they can really no longer call themselves a first world country! In this day and age with terrorist hijackings and when I have to stand in long lines having everything of mine checked and rechecked and scrutinised and confiscated and presents for my kids opened and x-rayed and the body frisking. Carrying a hand gun and ammo through any airport security check point should receive severe sentencing regardless of who the person is period. <deleted> you can't even take a bottle of water on an international flight!

Wonder if the gun was brought over from Thailand? seems very unlikely it was obtain and bought in Japan. If it was brought to Japan from Thailand, was he allowed to board from Thailand with the gun because he was a high ranking police?

Hope they throw him in jail.

If he gets or has already been released ( as a previous post roported) by Japan they can really no longer call themselves a first world country! In this day and age with terrorist hijackings and when I have to stand in long lines having everything of mine checked and rechecked and scrutinised and confiscated and presents for my kids opened and x-rayed and the body frisking. Carrying a hand gun and ammo through any airport security check point should receive severe sentencing regardless of who the person is period. <deleted> you can't even take a bottle of water on an international flight!

I just spoke to my girlfriend and she changed her news to "will be released today after Thai Embassy negotiated with the Japanese police"

I should check and confirm the news before posting.

Sorry.

Anyway, what is of concern is the fact that he carried the gun out of Thailand.

He may well have used the same line as some officual who smacked a security officer a few years ago.. "Don't you know who I am?"

Everyone should be searched and checked when it comes to airport security.

Edited by petedk

If he, as a senior police officer, doesn't know where his gun is, he shouldn't be allowed to carry one to start with. A gun is a serious piece of weaponry and can hardly be compared to the screwdrivers, pocket knives and scissors you see in the bins at the airport.

An ' accident ', not serious ? Are you serious, being sarcastic or trolling ?

They let him go already! So how serious could that have been?

But on the subject let me add something. If I was on that airplane and it was being High Jacket, I would rather he had that gun then not have it.

And....You don't even know what a troll is! As you fit that description far better than I do.

Well...so what's happened to the guy?

He's still in custody in Japan? Or diplomatic discussions led to his release with a hand-slap???

And, what really needs explaining is, how did he presumably carry the firearm out of Thailand on his original Thai Airways outbound flight?

"And, what really needs explaining is, how did he presumably carry the firearm out of Thailand on his original Thai Airways outbound flight?"

Should be an international scandal, VIP treatment when leaving Thailand. Not so well respected in Japan.

They let him go already! So how serious could that have been?

But on the subject let me add something. If I was on that airplane and it was being High Jacket, I would rather he had that gun then not have it.

And....You don't even know what a troll is! As you fit that description far better than I do.

I doubt that if there was a high-jacking, he would be allowed to access the overhead locker to get his gun from his bag, a gun which he didn't know was there (allegedly).

Now, now TV detectives - no need to go off half-cocked (pun intended) over this. After all, he got a medal from the Dubai camel herder so all will be OK. Just a mistake in breaking international, Thai and Japanese laws, but hey, don't you know who he is?

Just another display of the ineptness, arrogance and class system practiced - no, perfected, here.

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

Interesting to note, Japan has one of the most restrictive gun possession laws in the world, according to most accounts. And according to one article I read, even Japanese police are forbidden to carry their guns when they're off duty.

Wonder what that means for an off-duty Thai policeman found carrying a gun in Japan -- presumably with no permit or license from the Japanese authorities.

hope they put him away for many years and maybe after that he can teach other thai cops that you might think you are above the law in thailand, but not outside of it

scary if he brought the gun from thailand and just hi-5's some official and let him go on the plane with it

I watched CNN the other day and there was a report about some testing of airport security at various airports in the USA, where undercover officials would smuggle (not live, I assume) guns, bombs, chemicals and stuff like that on-board airplanes. The airport security did not catch one single smuggler. I do not know how many times it was tried, but according the report it was an extensive country wide test of security, so I assume it must have been over a 100 occasions.

That is scary.....

And then there was the other report about airport staff working for example at subcontractors (airplane cleaning staff) who where not checked for security. multiple people with terrorist links was discovered working at airports.

Edited by AlQaholic