Former Bangkok police chief 'arrested with gun' in Japanese airport

webfact

AOT officials are trying to save face saying he did not have it when screened in Bangkok on departure.

Embarrassing considering the recent red flagging by ICAO.

"The Airports Authority of Thailand (AOT) today set up a committee to investigate how the former metropolitan police commissioner managed to get through security check system at the Suvarnabhumi airport with a handgun and rounds of ammunitions on board a Thai Airways International flight to Narita airport in Japan."

source http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/aot-to-investigate-how-handgun-sneaked-through-security-check-at-airport

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The Royal Thai Police Office had tried to coordinate with the Japanese police in arranging assistance, but could not do anything much because the case must proceed according to the Japanese law." Hmmm, I wonder what kind of assistance was offered and why it was declined?

Give him some time in the jail to ponder how insignificant he is in the real world. That might be a healthy mental exercise.

Schadenfreude is not a good thing, but I am getting close with this story. It does give me hope that some of the big fish will face real life and the consequences of their stupid actions.

Speaking over the telephone, he gave a different account, saying he did not know how his long-lost handgun was found in his carry-on luggage. "I admit to my mistake but I did not intend to bring it to Japan or hide it from detection," he said.

SO IT SEEMS IT IS A GUN HE REPORTED LOST BEFORE !! something very fishy here....!!! the Thai authority's should check if this long lost gun has been used in some crimes before.!!!

These guys are so used to blatantly disregard the law in there own country and always get away with it, that they try to do the same in other country's too.....

In stark contrast between the two cultures the Japanse officials would have tried to communicate in perfect English while this former Thai police chief needed interpreters from the Thai Embassy.

He had a loaded gun in his possesion. I would have thought at least it would be prudent to empty the chamber before packing it away in your luggage.

I will be very surprised if he is allowed to return to Thailand anytime soon.

Maybe they should send him back to Thai police school. Ignorance is no excuse for this crime. Just when you thought you heard it all some thing even more stupid makes head lines. When he get back to Thailand they will transfer him to another area in Thailand. Not very professional!

If he had been caught at Heathrow...

Our laws are very strict on this and unless he had diplomatic immunity he would be in very hot water, possibly even with diplomatic immunity it would have caused an diplomatic row.

"Despite 12 hours negotiations between Thai Embassy staff and Japanese immigration police, Camronwit has not been allowed to board a flight " no shit Sherlock.

Trying the old do you know who he is routine.

I will be disappointed if the Japanese prosecutor acts the same way as a Thai counterpart.

It is a shame the Red Bull brat and the Mercedes bus stop killer were not caught in downtown Tokyo.

To the defenders of this guy, yes we can all be a little absent minded at times. (not that I believe his story)

However forgetting where you left your hand gun, is not a case of forgetfulness not even carelessness. It's an act of gross negligence with the possibility of extreme consequences.

No one who owns guns should be so undisciplined, only a criminal would behave like this and only a dim witted one at that.

Our laws are very strict on this and unless he had diplomatic immunity he would be in very hot water, possibly even with diplomatic immunity it would have caused an diplomatic row.

Diplomatic immunity? They wouldn't even have searched the bag.

Has it been mentioned that this fellow was the one who had a picture in his office of the long-deposed Thaksin pinning his badge on him, with a caption stating, "All this is due to my big brother."? Doubt he'll get much help from the folks in charge today.

I wonder how much of Swampy's digital imagery is recorded, and how long it is kept for.

Like:

• Hand luggage Xray
  • CCTV (pasenger screening area)
  • Hold baggage

May be interesting to see if he was let through a side door, if so this may be in contravention of international rules if he got on a plain with fire arms on him or in hand luggage.

This needs investigating to find out where the security lapses are and it does not happen again.

Attempt to carry drugs on board a plane in Japan and you get locked up and 5 years later feature on TV's Banged Up Abroad. Attempt to carry an unregistered firearm and ammunition in Japan which has very tight gun laws and you are allowed to continue your journey?

Shame on you Japan.

Indeed, you can get up to two years for carrying a knife longer than 6 cm when in Japan, a frenchman had spend 10 days in a Japan prison for this before being released

--> link on this story (french sorry) : http://www.vice.com/fr/read/etudiant-francais-en-prison-au-japon-893

So I wonder how on earth this man could get away for carrying a gun on an international plane...

There is a VIP gateway used at Bangkok airport and always has been for the " elite " they do not forego body or scanner searches nor their hand luggage checking the same as us menials. This is known and accepted practice in Bangkok.It was supposedly to be used for security personnel who guard and protect the royal family and are allowed to carry "declared in advance" firearms on board aircraft.

As usual you have those, and it is complete arrogance, that believe themselves in too senior positions or simply above the law to subject themselves to security checks in Bangkok.Very few believe he forget the loaded gun in hand luggage, it simply is a point of them thinking they are above the law.

They are, of course, now running around doing " damage control " because one of their Hi-So untouchable has been caught in this highly illegal activity and now pretending it somehow " slipped through the security net " Even in Bangkok airports for internal flights many of them carry firearms.

That is how he got the gun out of Thailand.

On the return journey, he was caught as he was dealing with the security measures precautions of a 1st world country. I have heard he has been released after the intervention of the Thai Embassy but I am unsure on this point and cannot confirm this.

If he has, it is very wrong.

It brings back the memories of the "package in the boot" of ex - premier Thaksin's car comes to mind. They went to court to answer corruption charges and questioned he claimed ' His driver had handed over the wrong package to the court. It should have been a box of chocolates, when in reality it was 2 million baht '..............cheesy.gif it was further claimed that they had forgotten it was there and it was a cash deposit on a potential house purchase!

Diplomatic immunity? They wouldn't even have searched the bag.

If the current government wanted to get this guy off the hook then possibly try to get him diplomatic immunity, or more to the point he suddenly finds his long lost Diplomatic Passport.

Can remember back in less paranoid times, when

Frankfurt Airport actually had a shop exclusively

selling Swiss Army knives.

Bought a great multi-tasker with a four-inch blade.

Apart from providing the ability to silently kill people

it was really useful for spreading butter on my

cheese and biscuits when travelling.

I wonder if it is still there......

What's up with the quote marks "Arrested with gun". Was he arrested or not?

Are quotation marks some officially recognized Thai loophole I could use if I ever had to tell my with that I

"Had 'sex' with a bargirl who gave me "head" and I "shot a load" on her face?

No wonder Thai language is so hard to learn.

This raises a very bad light on security checks at Thai airports.
Could he really fly to Japan - uncontrolled - with a gun and ammunition in hand luggage?
All legal Gun Owners know the process how firearms must be registered before flights.

Hopefully the authorities confiscate the weapons authorization card from this policeman.
Absolutely unsuitable to own, handle and manage a gun.

Is there one farang out there that is so naive as to believe the former police chief of New York City would be arrested in Japan for possessing a personal weapon? If so, I've got a bridge I'll sell you.clap2.gif

Yes he would if he had not got permission before entering the airport

JAPAN
Thai Embassy in Tokyo assigns officials to assist Camronwit

BANGKOK: -- The Foreign Affairs Ministry has sent officials to assist former Thai metropolitan police chief Police Lieutenant General Khamronwit Thoopkrajang, who was arrested at Japan's Narita International Airport on Tuesday evening for carrying a pistol.

Ministry spokesman Sek Wannamethee said on Wednesday that officials at the Thai Embassy in Tokyo have offered assistance to the ex-Thai metropolitan police chief.

Some of the officials work as interpreters for him, while others recommend lawyers to ensure justice.

According to the spokesman, the incident is being investigated and Thai officials must wait for Japan’s legal procedures, while the Thai Embassy in Tokyo will do the best to facilitate matters to ensure that Pol Lt Gen Khamronwit is treated fairly in accordance with laws.

Japanese police arrested the former Thai metropolitan police chief for carrying a pistol and ammunition on his way to board a plane back to Thailand in the evening of June 22.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thai-Embassy-in-Tokyo-assigns-officials-to-assist--30263027.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-24

Is there one farang out there that is so naive as to believe the former police chief of New York City would be arrested in Japan for possessing a personal weapon? If so, I've got a bridge I'll sell you.clap2.gif

You clearly have no idea about Japan and Japanese law.

Unless you have officially been given permission to have a gun (and the chances of that are vanishingly small unless you are part of a security detail ) you will be arrested and jailed if found in possession of a firearm.

Archived