Former Bangkok police chief 'arrested with gun' in Japanese airport

webfact

Former BKK Police Chief 'Arrested With Gun' in Japanese Airport
By Khaosod English

14350602381435060426l.jpg
File photo of then-commander of the Bangkok Metropolitan Police Pol.Lt.Gen. Kamronwit Thoopkrachang ® speaking to reporters on 1 March 2013.

BANGKOK — The former commander of the Bangkok Metropolitan Police has been detained at an airport in Japan for trying to carry a gun on-board a Bangkok-bound aircraft, a police spokesperson said.

Pol.Lt.Gen. Kamronwit Thoopkrachang was detained yesterday evening after security officers found a firearm and some ammunition in his carry-on bag at Narita Airport, one of two international airports in Tokyo, said police spokesperson Pol.Lt.Gen. Prawuth Thawornsiri.

"Right now, we are checking the details," Pol.Lt.Gen. Prawuth told reporters. "Why he was carrying the gun, and whether he carried the gun past a security checkpoint in Thailand, I cannot say. We have to clearly check details first, and then we will coordinate with him to ask how we can assist."

A source at the Royal Thai Police told Matichon that Kamronwit left Thailand on a Thai Airways flight on 18 June and was scheduled to return on a 9:50 pm flight yesterday. According to the source, Pol.Lt.Gen. Kamronwit told Japanese police he owned the gun, but didn't realize he had left it in his carry-on bag.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1435060238&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-06-24

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poor guy, what could be worse than this? Let's hope they don't find any "go fast" in his pocket. How did that get there?!! You tell me, your the corrupt policeman, tell me you don't plant evidence back in Siam?

Just - to me - another example of how deluded many Thais (especially the ruling class) are regarding Rule of Law and consequences i.e. cause/effect. I suppose it is somewhat understandable considering the culture they were born/raised in that teach neither.

Poor man, this could happen to anyone.

I've forgotten how many times I've accidentally left a firearm in my carry on bag. biggrin.png

What a weak excuse, carry on bags are used by most for items they will need during the flight so he didn't pack his before heading to the airport ?

Thanks for joining Thai Visa. What was your other user name?

BTW, in regard to this chap, I'd be more concerned about what it says about Thailand's airport security if his activity was not sanctioned.

If the activity was sanctioned, then some additional questions should be asked.

Ex-top cop held over gun in luggage
The Nation

30262977-01_big.jpg
Lt-General Camronwit Toopgrajank

BANGKOK: -- Former Metropolitan Police Bureau commissioner Lt-General Camronwit Toopgrajank was apprehended on Sunday at Narita International Airport in Japan for allegedly carrying a firearm and munitions while waiting for a return flight to Thailand.

Despite 12 hours negotiations between Thai Embassy staff and Japanese immigration police, Camronwit has not been allowed to board a flight out of Japan, after missing Flight TG640, which was scheduled to fly at 9.50pm Japan time and scheduled to land in Thailand on Monday at 5pm.

Camronwit reportedly arrived in Japan last Thursday on a personal trip. He reportedly told the Japanese police that he was unaware he had left his handgun and munitions in the carry-on luggage, while producing his police identity card and a document declaring his firearm.

He was quoted in news reports as saying he did not hide the contraband in his carry-on luggage on purpose but simply forgot to declare his possession of a firearm and follow the relevant protocol before boarding the flight.

Speaking over the telephone, he gave a different account, saying he did not know how his long-lost handgun was found in his carry-on luggage. "I admit to my mistake but I did not intend to bring it to Japan or hide it from detection," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Ex-top-cop-held-over-gun-in-luggage-30262977.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-24

Yep, should always carry your side arms when going on private business,especially to a crime ridden place like Japan.

A couple of years detention should sort it out as a law officer he should be more than well aware of the laws re carrying firearms on planes - no excuses even considered.

I'm more concerned that he had the gun BEFORE he flew to Japan from the sounds of it ... so why wasn't the gun noticed before trying to come back to Thailand? Don't they scan bags anymore here in Thailand or was it let slide because of who he is?

I'm more concerned that he had the gun BEFORE he flew to Japan from the sounds of it ... so why wasn't the gun noticed before trying to come back to Thailand? Don't they scan bags anymore here in Thailand or was it let slide because of who he is?

I'd suggest your last sentence probably says it all.

Attempt to carry drugs on board a plane in Japan and you get locked up and 5 years later feature on TV's Banged Up Abroad. Attempt to carry an unregistered firearm and ammunition in Japan which has very tight gun laws and you are allowed to continue your journey?

Shame on you Japan.

Yep, should always carry your side arms when going on private business,especially to a crime ridden place like Japan.

A couple of years detention should sort it out as a law officer he should be more than well aware of the laws re carrying firearms on planes - no excuses even considered.

In the '80s in Hong Kong someone I was briefly acquainted with moved to the Philippines with his new Filipina wife and as she was apparently ' connected ' he became involved with a crime syndicate which suited him as he always fancied himself as a bit of a wide boy and as a foreigner with a British passport he was useful.

Although I'm not sure of the full story he was subsequently arrested at Narita with a 9mm automatic in his possession trying to board a flight to Manila, he pled guilty and got 9 years.

Now what's the chances ... ?

Can we assume no amount of money can fix this?

yes, the Japanese police do NOT take bribes! I know for a fact. meaning i tried it once twenty years ago and ended up in the slammer! also what was the fool doing in Okinawa? and why did he think that he could take a firearm on an airplane? ego? thai airways? why wasn't he checked in bangkok? on one hand the thai's say that they have "gun" control but looking at the news, every tom dick and harry (except for foreigners) have guns!

Proof positive of the level of intelligence found at the highest levels in the Thai police.

Thinks he can get a gun on an airplane past x-ray scanners.

Or the shear arrogance to think he has every right in the world to bring it on board.

Attempt to carry drugs on board a plane in Japan and you get locked up and 5 years later feature on TV's Banged Up Abroad. Attempt to carry an unregistered firearm and ammunition in Japan which has very tight gun laws and you are allowed to continue your journey?

Shame on you Japan.

he was allowed to take the gun into Japan by Thai airways and slipped through customs, but he was checked before leaving and got caught. the Japanese have very srict gun and drug laws, you brak them and you go to the slammer. Japan has nothing to be ashamed of.

but didn't realize he had left it in his carry-on bag.

So that would be TWICE that he didn't realized he's got a gun in his carry on yes?

on the way over and back from Japan yes?

Ok, who are we to argue with a general and Thaksin's pet....

As we all know RTP common criminals.

Believing he can board a plane with a gun in another country, just goes to show what they get away with here and how easy it is for them to do so.

12 hours of negotiation by embassy staff for a crook, what do people from other countries get if they break the law abroad. Probably not much more than bad luck mate and here's the number of a local lawyer.

Well...so what's happened to the guy?

He's still in custody in Japan? Or diplomatic discussions led to his release with a hand-slap???

And, what really needs explaining is, how did he presumably carry the firearm out of Thailand on his original Thai Airways outbound flight?

"... and whether he carried the gun past a security checkpoint in Thailand ..."

Let's think ...

He carried the gun YES but security checkpoint is an oxymoron at the best of times and when you're a VIP... !

Archived