Acting US ambassador apologises to Pramote in person

webfact

Acting US ambassador apologises to Pramote in person
The Nation

30262961-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Acting US ambassador Patrick Murphy Monday went to apologise a veteran Thai politician in person and delivered a new Fourth of July invitation card to him after the previous invitation identified him as an "anti-Thaksin activist".

Murphy posted on his micro-blogging Twitter page a picture of him delivering the new invitation card to Pramote Nakornthab, a former Thammasat University lecturer.

"To err is human! I delivered a properly addressed invite to Dr. Pramote, apologised for our mistake." Murphy said in his Twitter message.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Acting-US-ambassador-apologises-to-Pramote-in-pers-30262961.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-24

OK, since the author of this piece can not be bothered to explain what this is about .. let me help.

(Google is your friend, and this took, start to finish, about a minute ...)

Why they post these hazy "news articles" is beyond me ..
Is it really so difficult to just tell the whole story?

Once you see what it is .. it is funny .. the "notes" portion of the data base was included in the auto address function.

post-145190-0-48582900-1435112812_thumb.

"To err is human! I delivered a properly addressed invite to Dr. Pramote, apologised for our mistake." Murphy said in his Twitter message."

Wonder if the recipient of the invite will ever apologise for his....

What was Pramote's mistake?

"To err is human! I delivered a properly addressed invite to Dr. Pramote, apologised for our mistake." Murphy said in his Twitter message."

The Embassy included a "field" in the address line that was clearly an accident ... and loses face:

post-145190-0-22384700-1435113697_thumb.

Edited by Guest

The Embassy included a "field" in the address line that was clearly an accident ... and loses face:

I understand the situation, but not what mistake by Pramote Mr Blue alludes to.

PAD

OK, since the author of this piece can not be bothered to explain what this is about .. let me help.

Once you see what it is .. it is funny .. the "notes" portion of the data base was included in the auto address function.

That is probably the reason the current government hasn't received any invitations.

They all need to have that same line removed from their address.

I understand the situation, but not what mistake by Pramote Mr Blue alludes to.

Blues or full user name.

Choose.

and for any lowlife who wants to do harm to Pramote, it was very helpful for the media all to publish his exact address so that everyone will find his house and his family more easily.....

and for any lowlife who wants to do harm to Pramote, it was very helpful for the media all to publish his exact address so that everyone will find his house and his family more easily.....

I think that was his own choice. Anybody willing to stand up and declare that the PM is a criminal is unlikely to be easily intimidated.

I wonder how many other Thais they have 'categorized'.

.........and whether 'Anti-Thaksin Activist' is considered a positive or negative classification.

I don't understand, the current Thai administration are also anti Thaksin but there invites

seem to all be lost in the mail. Can they expect hand delivered invitations as well. whistling.gif

US embassy says “To err is human”

24-6-2558-12-08-56-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The US Chargé d’affaires W. Patrick Murphy today posted on his Twitter handing over a new invitation letter to Dr Pramote Nakornthab to attend the Independence Day Party with an apology saying "To err is human."

He wrote on his US Chargé d’affaires : “To err is human! I delivered a properly addressed invite to Dr. Pramote, apologized for our mistake.”

W. Patrick Murphy is a career member of the Senior Foreign Service, assumed the role of Chargé d’affaires ad interim at U.S. Mission Thailand in November 2014.

The US Embassy in Bangkok was left red-faced this weekend after it emerged that it sent an Fourth of July party invitation to a veteran Thai politician addressed to him as ‘Anti-Thaksin Activist’ on the envelope.

Dr Pramote, a former Thammasat University lecturer, however posted images of the envelope and the invite on Facebook on Saturday with a pretty clear RSVP.

“Thank you. SORRY. Cannot accept invitation due to mis-identification. It should be Pro-Monarchy, Pro-Democracy, and Pro-American.”

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/us-embassy-says-to-err-is-human

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-24

You know, my first instinct was to laugh at this .. but then I thought .. would I, with really nothing to hide and really no enemies .. want my address for the whole world to see?

NO

You are correct, the Embassy owes him a second apology.

Start to finish, two minutes ..

post-145190-0-21099600-1435123706_thumb.

.........and whether 'Anti-Thaksin Activist' is considered a positive or negative classification.

There are many powerful factions within, and peripheral to, the US government. Dr. Thaksin has a long association (since before he was PM) with the Carlyle Group which are mostly Republican. Since the current President is a Democratic, but uninterested in foreign policy as it cuts into his golf time, it could be that the current US government is playing those CG Republicans off anti-Thaksin Thais as a bargaining chip or just to piss them off. There are definitely no moral or ethical reasons for the US government to act one way or another as they have neither morals or ethics; it is all politics. Imagine, having the Acting Ambassador prominently posing with an acknowledged anti-Thaksin supporter and then, imagine who that bothers. It's all a game to those <deleted>. Next week they could withdraw the invitation if it suited their agenda.

You know, my first instinct was to laugh at this .. but then I thought .. would I, with really nothing to hide and really no enemies .. want my address for the whole world to see?

NO

"Pramote posted photos of the invitation/envelope on Facebook." From the initial thread, 2 days ago.

NOT the embassy.

NO

I though that pramote posted the letter with his address on it himself when he went on social media to let his displeasure be known at being labeled anti thaksin activist.

Edited by Bluespunk

There are many powerful factions within, and peripheral to, the US government. Dr. Thaksin has a long association (since before he was PM) with the Carlyle Group which are mostly Republican. Since the current President is a Democratic, but uninterested in foreign policy as it cuts into his golf time, it could be that the current US government is playing those CG Republicans off anti-Thaksin Thais as a bargaining chip or just to piss them off. There are definitely no moral or ethical reasons for the US government to act one way or another as they have neither morals or ethics; it is all politics. Imagine, having the Acting Ambassador prominently posing with an acknowledged anti-Thaksin supporter and then, imagine who that bothers. It's all a game to those <deleted>. Next week they could withdraw the invitation if it suited their agenda.

I recall when Thaksin called Bush his best friend and said that if anyone can't understand his English (Thaksins English) than it is because he speak a Texas accent (like his buddy) crazy.gif

For someone who can't speak a language perfect to copy a regional dialect? facepalm.gif

The incident is completely embarrassing. Yes, human error was involved, but that isn't really the issue. The address label demonstrates that the US Embassy maintains an address list on its database in Bangkok that designates Thai politicians by their allegiance to Thaksin. As a US citizen, I am mortified. The embassy's mission is diplomatic, not political. This is exactly the type of meddling which made me disapprove of the appointments of Kristie Kenney and Dannel Russel. I wish Mr. Murphy the best of luck in repairing the damage caused by neophytes who don't understand the concept of a diplomatic mission.

Edited by zaphod reborn

I believe Mr. Murphy has handled this minor situation quite well, while the incorrect term was used on the original invitation I don't believe it was offensive or derogatory.

It has since not only been corrected, but that correction was backed up with a personal apology which was perfectly appropriate, we can all see how this mistake was made so I don't believe there was anything sinister.

All in all a minor clerical error has been well handled.

As for the few who think it strange that an embassy should categorize the nationals of the host country, what is it that is so strange or inappropriate? All embassies of all nations will do this as a matter of course, they will organize or attend many functions/events over the course of a year. This will be a small part of the information required to allow them to compile guest lists that are appropriate to the event, or on the other hand whether it is acceptable to attend other functions.

Political affiliations are, to me anyway, the least of the information we should be worried about, my guess is that most public figures would be shocked and horrified if they knew what personal info was held about them...

Yes the Carlyle Group is mostly Republican. With the new raising cash rules in the US I assume they are contributing millions to their pres candidate. I wonder who that candidate might be is it JB or just call me "Jeb" as he is trying to dissociate himself from his last name. I wonder why? Would American voters be dumb enough to fall for this at the polls hmm maybe.Carlyle Group an interesting conglomerate. Their name seldom pops up in the news they are a shadowy organization like so many in the world today. In their business they seem depend on wars to make a profit. They win no matter which side wins or looses the war. They also have some well known influential people involved in its operational activities.