moo kata alone?

Sagebomb

So, I have been in Chiang Mai coming up three weeks just on holiday (on the two month visa). Basing myself here in Chiang Mai. Been mostly eating around the gates/markets/basement food courts, but am wanting to branch out a little more. Sukonta looks like a experience to be had, but pretty much everywhere I have read about it says its a social experience best done with a group. Is there any social convention I need to worry about if I go alone, or is going alone a issue? Or prehaps there is a better moo kata to wet my feet with as a loner?

I am based in Galae Thong at the moment, and tend to walk everywhere (Just because I like walking, and trying to make up for a decrease in the exercise I am doing atm), but am happy to go anywhere I can get to within about a 2 hour walk. Like a walk from Galae Thong to Maya for me is a nice afternoon lunch sort of walk. (I walked from Galae thong to Doi Sutep up the natur trail, and then down via part of the trail, and part of the road to again hit up Maya on the way back, so 29kms in a day isnt too much for me). So with that is there any other good places where food venders tend to gather besides the gates, uni, night market. Maybe south of the city? I dont mind taking transit if I need to, just since I am free all day atm, I dont see the point when I can walk somewhere in just a hour or two.

Thanks in advance for any advice, I have been reading this forum for months, but have avoided posting so far without trying to figure out everything myself. Hopefully I havent broken any of your conventions.

Often a small surcharge for dining alone, maybe to cover the cost of gas. Just so you don't feel you are being ripped off. Why not find a fatty and ask her along. Not many would turn you down.

Edited by naboo

I don't care for moo kata places myself, but Sukonta is the best of them. I wouldn't worry about going alone, it's not an issue. Just go and have a good time.

Cheers,

Cool cool

Often a small surcharge for dining alone, maybe to cover the cost of gas. Just so you don't feel you are being ripped off. Why not find a fatty and ask her along. Not many would turn you down.

Where would you find a fatty? Im too introverted to go to clubs/pubs/talk to people...

'Moo kata' is some variant of Moo baan?

DIY 'all you can eat' Pork BBQ with the fire on yer table.

The Sukantha buffet has BBQ pork, roast duck, braised pork leg, chicken satay, at least 40-50 already prepared dishes, and God only knows how many different things to cook at the table. We usually have them remove the hibachi from the table as we don't want to bother with cooking or having all that heat so close to us in the hot weather. We try and get there at least once every other month or more. If you get there at 6:15 the food is all fresh and hot, and plenty of it! If you get there at 6:45 the very best dishes are already finished, and weeknights might not get refilled.

Don't worry about going there alone. There is no extra charge for it. I often eat there when my wife is out of town.

I don't care for moo kata places myself, but Sukonta is the best of them. I wouldn't worry about going alone, it's not an issue. Just go and have a good time.

Cheers,

Cool cool

Where would you find a fatty? Im too introverted to go to clubs/pubs/talk to people...

At a moo kata, duh. tongue.png

Edited by TheAppletons

Sukontha? Is that the one behind the Furama condo, on HK road, between KSK and Maya, but not seen from the road? Check the reviews on TripAd and try to avoid the chinese, eh.

Could be worse at 209 baht.

That's the place. Down the small lane beside Hillside 4. Considering the fact that the seating area is the size of four football pitches arranged in a rectangle, it's not at all difficult to get seating well away from noisy crowds. During 'High Season' we've never seen more than three of them filled. During 'Low Season' they are lucky to fill two. While the hostesses usually try to packthe tables closely together, we just smile and point to a place further out, usually with two lanes of empty tables separating us from the crowd. Makes for a much nicer meal.

"Our tactics" for an enjoyable experience at Sukantha are to get there early (fresh, hot food,) MOST IMPORTANT! so we are able to partake of the 'fancier' fare (Roast Duck, Spare Ribs, Grilled Shrimp, Satay, Grilled Meats, etc., that disappear within 10 minutes of being brought out, avoiding the fire on the table unless we are with people who really want to cook, filling 2-3 plates to begin before sitting down to eat, and getting the table away from the crowds and the noise.

Get there at 7pm and the best foods are already gone, and the rest are getting cold and old. It's as simple as that. You can be sure that anyone who complains that the foods at the better buffets are stale has simply arrived late.

Edited by FolkGuitar

Thanks for the info FolkGuitar.

I have heard of this place but never been there. I would like to give it a try. I presume you pay up front at a booth or table first?

No, you pay when you finish eating... just signal a hostess and ask for the check.

When you walk into the front entrance, walk past the game machines to the left side of the Koi pond just in front of you. Stand there a moment and a hostess/host will lead you to a table. (It's at that point where you would tell/point them to the table away from the crowds.) When you sit, someone will write up a bill stating how many people are in your party and place it into the holder at the end of the table. Then a Beer Girl will come along to take beer orders if desired. (If you choose NOT to order beer, there are plenty of bottles of soda water, soft drinks, glasses, and plain water available at the central table. ) If you choose NOT to have the hibachi on your table, now is the time to tell them. Otherwise, just head over to the central tables.

The tables closest to the Koi Pong have all the ingredients for cooking. Further up the isle will be the tables with the prepared dishes. Still further along will be the tables with the fruits and desserts. There is also a second row of food tables, starting with the grilled goodies and Som Tam, followed by tables with cakes and donuts. Towards the end of the line of tables there will be a chest freezer with ice cream, and along side a table with condiments.

You will see the locals all armed with 3-5 plates, piling them high before returning to their seats. The ones who wish to cook will have plastic baskets to carry their larger veggies as well. Feel free to return to the tables as often as you wish, but good manners suggest not asking for a doggie bag or taking more than you can eat. However, I've often seen old women surreptitiously filling their big purses with mangosteens and rambutans, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a plastic food container or two in there for the wet stuff!

At that point, it's just a matter of "Edamus, bibamus, gaudeamus; post mortum nulla voluptas!"

(Let us eat, drink and be merry; after death there is no pleasure.)

Sure, can agree but ask 'how much pleasure packing a 100 kg food/drink belly into the nuptial bed'? Was it not Scorates who told us 'moderation in all things', or maybe it was the Buddha.

I'll trot over to Sukonha one night and check out the lonesome 'fatties'. Who knows, perhaps i'll fall for one, or two.

Sure, can agree but ask 'how much pleasure packing a 100 kg food/drink belly into the nuptial bed'? Was it not Scorates who told us 'moderation in all things', or maybe it was the Buddha.

I'll trot over to Sukonha one night and check out the lonesome 'fatties'. Who knows, perhaps i'll fall for one, or two.

Although one 'can' overeat at a buffet, I don't believe it is 'required.'

Personally, I prefer to eat enough of just 3-4 different dishes (plus the ice cream and donuts for dessert, of course) to tide me over for the next several days, but my wife's idea of a good buffet is to sample just a small mouthful or two of many different offerings, and is ready for coffee and cake latter in the evening.

One of my fave aspects of moo kata is the soup you make in the water trough of the dome, I get some sliced ginger and garlic, green onions and shrooms, let that simmer while bbquing the meat on top with the chunk of pork fat sizzeling and running into the broth. add some greens and the most important, wun sen (glass noodles) to absord the liquid .... wow I'm hungry now.