share your favorite Thai haunts

tigerfish

i'm going to keep this kind of simple !

i spend most of my time in mainly two areas and surrounding locations when i am over here in BKK. go further afield sometimes if out and about meeting up with people or just want a night out to watch a bit of footie and kick in with a bit of farangness. but, quite often my time is spent going out with Thai family and friends.

so here are a few places over the last 15 years or so i have come to associate as my local haunts. a bit like those local pubs that used to exists before the chain groups, no smoking, bistro brigade moved in.

so here goes.............

On Nut 44 at the junction of Sukhumvit 93.

2 places, one nearly directly opposite 7/11 next to the motorbike taxi rank. you can fish there and eat typical Isaan/ Thai food. even take home the fish you've caught for a small price. used to love going there in the afternoon with a paper, a small bottle of Sang Som, eat a bit of food a watch the world go by.

about 100 yards down on to the left of 7/11, again Thai/Isaan food the usual suspects jim jum, pla geng som.............. a relatively new outlet to me after 4 years away. good value and always packed out, live music and now selling Sushi.

Phattanakarn rd at the junction of Petchburi.

to the left, the Morlam Isaan club/nightclub. if you are looking for an experience, a great night out and Thais in their element come here.

directly opposite Tawandeng Carabao, same experience, slightly more mainstream and rocky. plus if you come out feeling a bit peckish, there's a great khutieow pet (duck) shop about 150 yards down Petchburi on the right.

the corner of Phathunam/Petchburi near the old world trade and opposite that not so popular shopping mall which name i cannot remember.

there's a little place called Singapore that sell's great street food. buy your own Whiskey and go for it. they sell this one dish so i am told by Mrs TF called moo paen. never seen it sold anywhere else, but it's to die for !

Sukhumvit 101/23

this place really was a find ! out on the motorbike one day and had been told of a place where i could take the little one somewhere to learn to swim. 100 yards up on the right you will find this lovely small fairy light lit garden paradise. top draw for what you pay.

On Nut BTS night market plaza.

ate there on Saturday night after hearing quite a few negatives after 4 years of not eating in the place.

prices o.k. food good, beer, atmosphere a bit dull, but then again it had just rained. then again taking on board what others have said, maybe they have just shot themselves in the foot by doing away with the pools tables and charging to take a leak.

and finally the road behind big C and central Bang Na connecting to Udom Suk.

the name translates to the BBQ chicken house, believe me the place is more than the name suggests. packed out most nights and most probably need to book if you arrive any later than 8 p.m. at the weekend. live music, great atmosphere, beautiful surroundings, seating, trees, plants, flowers, lights. a play area for the kids to muck about in and lots and lots of Koi fish pools. good Thai fare as well. and as most of you know that is often the most important and telling factor on whether the place will ever get frequented again.

so there you go a list of some of my favorite haunts, although there are a few more i'm sure.

would be good if we all chipped in and shared new and old places to try out. plus i am am on a two week living hell time bomb as i go back to the U.K. so would be good to try some new places as well as visit the old ones before i leave.

I thought the op said he was going to keep it simple, he's written a novel!!

My favourite place - nana

Now that's simple!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep you said it.......... Nana, now that is simple ! whistling.gif

and the kind of Thais you find in those kind of places aren't the type i'm talking about, although each to their own hey. wink.png

Corner of Pattanakan 30 is a restaurant with outside seating....great food...cheap cold beer....what more could you want?

By Pattanakan55 is a karaoke restaurant serving great grilled sea bass and pork so spicy I didn't returnfrom the moon for three days.

Decent singers too.

there's an issaan food restaurant in Ram2 next to the night market. The food is excellent, draught Chang and 2 guitarist/singers with an excellent atmosphere. I wouldnt want to be anywhere else on a Saturday night. a little romance with the wife or as romantic as you can get with a plate of plaa raa and gung dten in front of us. The op is right, each to their own, but this is my little corner of heaven in BKK.

Bang KraChao. Love getting the wee boat out there, renting a bike, going through the jungle-like forestry, seeing the Siamese fighting fish, riding round the park... an amazing oasis of green in the city.

And Tae Chio Chinese Cemetery in Sathorn. Originally overgrown and reportedly one of the most haunted places in Bangkok, they did a good job cleaning it up- you've got the hundreds of graves, the public gym, the karate school, the temple, the joggers, the karaoke singers- it's a weird mix of things that feels quite unique.

tae.jpg

^ that's just teasing now ain't it smokes ?

stick a <deleted> picture up of a place, with a plate of food. wait till i'm hungry and then don't even tell me where the place is. bah ! laugh.png

You have mail fishface. biggrin.png

Jesus H Christ i wish we had gone to the mall last night !

would the loud mouthed Aussie F@#$%^ at the On Nut night market plaza near the BTS let it be known that i and the rest of the people that were sitting close by, aren't in the slightest bit interested in your worldly business and life story. i could have sworn he was talking to someone on a mobile until i turned around and saw this poor creature sitting with him. God, i nearly offered to buy her a double shot, just to ease the pain.

I sat at a Bangkok bar once in the late afternoon - and drank about 8 beers on Soi 8 near Sukhimvit , near the Stable Lodge, when I never knew any better back in '06.

Those weren't the days, no sir, but essential at the time, being as I was deluded to believe they were.

The moral of this boring story?

You don't normally stay with your first Thai GF for too long..clap2.gif

And we all know whycheesy.gif

''and finally the road behind big C and central Bang Na connecting to Udom Suk.

the name translates to the BBQ chicken house, believe me the place is more than the name suggests. packed out most nights and most probably need to book if you arrive any later than 8 p.m. at the weekend. live music, great atmosphere, beautiful surroundings, seating, trees, plants, flowers, lights. a play area for the kids to muck about in and lots and lots of Koi fish pools. good Thai fare as well. and as most of you know that is often the most important and telling factor on whether the place will ever get frequented again.''

That is a top spot, perfect place for a small crowd. Getting to and from is tricky though, you almost need a dirt bike on that road.

Some "out of town" suggestions:

1) On the "old" Pattaya road, opposite the Bangpoo Industrial Estate. It's a Military run convalescence centre; drive straight through and under an arch, onto a longish bridge built out over the water. At the end there is a large entertainment centre with a great restaurant - you can sit outside with a beer and various Thai seafood dishes, looking out over the river / sea; at low tide there are lots of birds to see, waders and, in winter, Gulls and Terns you can feed with bread or whatever. Very popular on weekends and because of that they only have a restricted menu on those days, Sunday lunchtime they have a Thai band and singers in the airconditioned hall - Thai style, i.e. very loud!

2) Samut Sakorn; drive to the Ferry landing (Tha Rua), on the left there is an excellent Thai seafood restaurant called .... Tha Rua. Again you can sit there for a few hours eating seafood and watching the comings and goings on the river - fishing boats leaving port, people getting on and off the Ferry etc..

3) Wat Don Wai on the way to Nakorn Pathom, a traditional Thai Market with lots of Thai food; various boats / converted rice barges will take you up the Tha Chin river, some have cooking facilities on-board, others you have to order from the market, the waiter will go and buy it for you before the boat leaves and serve at your table.

Patrick

Now that's simple!

and the kind of Thais you find in those kind of places aren't the type i'm talking about, although each to their own hey. wink.png

Had a burger for lunch in Nana hotel only thing I ate all day, 7pm throwing up and six days inbumrumgrad hospital acute food poisening, never go near the place again, I used to enjoy a beer there and watch the world go by, one learns by experience.

Since its your thread fishy here is one of the best krapow moo sap you will find in Bangkok.

attachicon.gif1435212055849.jpg

attachicon.gif1435212085542.jpg

Where's this place then please?

What's the cost?

60 Baht no egg....75 with.

15 baht for the fried egg? No wonder all the Thais i know complain about BKK prices...

Since its your thread fishy here is one of the best krapow moo sap you will find in Bangkok.

attachicon.gif1435212055849.jpg

attachicon.gif1435212085542.jpg

Where's this place then please?

What's the cost?

60 Baht no egg....75 with.

15 baht for the fried egg? No wonder all the Thais i know complain about BKK prices...

Yeah its a bit steep....usually I have without.

Thanon Phra Ahtit , by the river and behind Kao San rd

The Paddington of Bangkok

A riverside Park , cool little boutique restaurants and tiny pubs , a remanent of the old fort , educated old Bangkokians and groovy happy young folk - and a Jazz Club over the bridge ( just ask )

Also Tha Tien , riverside markets near Wat Po

Disappear into them and step back in time!

The Siam Museum is here also

Take your camera and walk to the flower market in almost Dickensian scenery ( in the markets)

Thais love to go to place where they can take lots of photos of themselves. My ex GF and her family have taken me to lots of places that provide photo ops. Last one was Chocolatesomething. A little help guys.

Chocolateville? Out Fashion Island/Promenade way.

Strange name though, no chocolate around at all, same menu as Wine I Love You (as its owned by the same people).

Now that's simple!

Had a burger for lunch in Nana hotel only thing I ate all day, 7pm throwing up and six days inbumrumgrad hospital acute food poisening, never go near the place again, I used to enjoy a beer there and watch the world go by, one learns by experience.

You should have tried the Thai burger at Nana,bit like durian,may not smell the best but tasty.

Thanon Phra Ahtit , by the river and behind Kao San rd

The Paddington of Bangkok

A riverside Park , cool little boutique restaurants and tiny pubs , a remanent of the old fort , educated old Bangkokians and groovy happy young folk - and a Jazz Club over the bridge ( just ask )

Yes, it's all very arty and square glasses, hipster around there :D

I like the street though

Archived