Thailand tourist arrivals soar from Jan-May

webfact

I take it you didn't read the part at the bottom where it states that the numbers come from The Tourism and Sports Ministry ?

BOT, like most other central banks, creates reports based in part on information provided to it by government departments, it's SOP. The fact that BOT is prepared to publish such data means they support the numbers and are willing to put their stamp on them rather than to do as some TVF members have done and simply ignore them.

Well some may dispute the number of quality tourists arriving but I think we can all dispute the amount of money quoted in the article " the northeastern province of Buri Ram received the highest tourism income with 3.7 billion baht,". Yer right!

Yes, you would think that whoever is in charge of making up issuing the figures would at least have the sense to pick a tourist destination as the area to generate the highest tourist income, but Buri Ram? The only way I know where that is is because Air Asia recently started to send flights there recently, Ummm?

They just never give up do they as the news always has to be positive ?

If there's the slightest hint of negativity from other sources then the good news just gets better.

I and others have repeatedly said that having friends in the hospitality / service industry we hear their continuing mantra of " where are all these tourists ? "

No no no no no NKK, the government have posted FACTS, FACTS don't lie hey.

This is typical redshirt mantra this is the most popular government ever to have graced the Kingdom hey, the most popular PM in Thai history has seen fit to put more spin on his reign then an industrial washing machine!! ?

My mate who owns a bar in Patong has had to go back to work overseas, as he's not making the money he thought he would mate, others as you rightly pointed out who are in the hotel and tourist industry are not seeing the same super duper stats and facts either!!

I sympathise with your mate, but it reminds me of a discussion I overheard a few years back when an American would be bar owner was asking his mate "How much money do you think I should spend on buying a a bar?" His mate replied "It depends on how much money you can afford to lose!" Humorous, but very true!

The Hordes

China, 3.27 million, 157 billion baht, 48,000 per visitor

Malaysia, 1.4 million, 33 billion baht, 24,000 per visitor

The Lords

Israel, 85,000 Baht per visitor

Sweden 78,000

Canada 78,000

Switzerland 76,000

Brazil 76,000

The Unknowns

Japan, Korea, Laos, Russian, UK, US - per visitor spending not available

The Hordes

The Lords

Sweden 78,000

Canada 78,000

Switzerland 76,000

Brazil 76,000

The Unknowns

Based on the low spending, I assume Malaysian tourists are predominantly men who cross Thailand's southern border for a few hours, or maybe a day or two, of drinks and cheap hookers.

Hey Brice, NO AUSSIES ?

Ministry of Tourism & Sports forgot to tell the Ministry of Finance about their dreamed-up figures.....oh and these fake figures will also be a surprise to hotels, restaurants, malls, shops & tour operators. Then we have the matter of Chinese, Russians, Laotians & Cambodians on tight budgets when in Thailand and not really doing much shopping or dining out - which means the income from tourism figures for 2015 are very bad even if this shoestring tourist type is called "upswing". Again we have a govt. dept which fakes it and makes a public joke of themselves.

The Hordes

The Lords

Sweden 78,000

Canada 78,000

Switzerland 76,000

Brazil 76,000

The Unknowns

Based on the low spending, I assume Malaysian tourists are predominantly men who cross Thailand's southern border for a few hours, or maybe a day or two, of drinks and cheap hookers.

Hey Brice, NO AUSSIES ?

The OP listed Chinese and Malaysians as being the biggest and second biggest blocks of tourists. As phoenixdoglover pointed out, they are also the biggest cheap charlies of those nationalities for which tourist numbers and revenues are provided.

I suspect most hotels, guesthouses, restaurants and bars would gladly trade their Chinese and Malaysian tourists for Aussies.