Strange Internet/wifi problem

ExpatOilWorker

Certain sites will not load with Safari/Firefox, but load fine when using Chrome.

We are talking total legit sites, like BBC.com and even some Thai domains. 

I also have a temperature sensor that upload data via wifi, but it only connects intermittently, even when located close to the router. 

I have contacted my service provider, but they don't seem to understand what the problem is and just say it is fixed.

What could the problem be?

Blocked ports? Throttled bandwidth?

At the same time you are attempting to load a problem site, run a speed test and see what's happening.

Also, try pinging the problem site to see if you get a ping response.  If you do, it implies it is the browser that is at fault. 

Or maybe the sites you're having issues with have a paywall or similar, and Chrome is able to get through it with an extension.

Edit:  Re the temperature sensor, I think most only upload once every minute.

Edited by Gsxrnz

40 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

At the same time you are attempting to load a problem site, run a speed test and see what's happening.

Also, try pinging the problem site to see if you get a ping response.  If you do, it implies it is the browser that is at fault. 

Or maybe the sites you're having issues with have a paywall or similar, and Chrome is able to get through it with an extension.

Edit:  Re the temperature sensor, I think most only upload once every minute.

Thanks for your reply, but no paywall.

Speed test run as normal and it is a 100 Mbps connection.

The fault is somewhere or something on the service provider's side.

The sensor upload ever 5 seconds and use to provide a solid line, now it looks like this:

Screenshot_20230108_101348_Chrome.jpg

3 hours ago, carlyai said:

Try turning off the WiFi and using your phone data connection. See if that works.

Also if you don't update your apps regularly or auto update problems with diffetent sites can happen.

I did try using my phone as hot-spot wifi and suddenly everything works perfect,  including the temperature sensor.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Could be these sites when put together are not compatible with these browsers. You would think all sites could be opened with every browser unfortunately you have to make the site compatible and it appears the sites you are going to do not have that compatibility.

Edited by Photoguy21

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

If the standalone temperature sensor's wi-fi connection is intermittent, that's got nothing to do with the browsers or the ISP. Sounds like the wi-fi hard/software on your machine may be dodgy.

I also thought the temperature devices was the issue,  but it works perfect on a different wifi and I have used Fing to check that it does connect to the trouble wifi, it just can't send the data to the cloud. 

Post a screenshot of the error that you get. That will avoid all the wild guessing that's been going so far in this thread.

9 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Could be these sites when put together are not compatible with these browsers. You would think all sites could be opened with every browser unfortunately you have to make the site compatible and it appears the sites you are going to do not have that compatibility.

Clearly that can't be the case when even BBC doesn't work in Safari.

Just now, eisfeld said:

Post a screenshot of the error that you get. That will avoid all the wild guessing that's been going so far in this thread.

Clearly that can't be the case when even BBC doesn't work in Safari.

It could be. Hard to give a good answer without all the details. Many things from the BBC dont work here in Thailand. You can get around them of course but not necessarily if you are just going straight from your computer to the site. Microsoft is the same. Try accessing it with any browser other than a Microsoft browser and you cant do it.

For the record I set my computer DNS to 1.1.1.1 and backup to 1.0.0.1

Could give that a try but I doubt if it will make much difference.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

It could be. Hard to give a good answer without all the details. Many things from the BBC dont work here in Thailand. You can get around them of course but not necessarily if you are just going straight from your computer to the site. Microsoft is the same. Try accessing it with any browser other than a Microsoft browser and you cant do it.

For the record I set my computer DNS to 1.1.1.1 and backup to 1.0.0.1

Could give that a try but I doubt if it will make much difference.

No it could not be. If you read everything that he said carefully you will realize that. For example when he uses his phones mobile data connection the sites load in those very same browsers.

• Like 1

Could be the DNS of the ISP redirecting the domain to something like a wifi sign-in portal page (3BB likes to do that for example if some payment is due). This would fail because they don't have a valid certificate for those domains and only works without HTTPS encryption.

What happen if you try to open http://example.com which does not run under HTTPS?

Edited by eisfeld

21 hours ago, eisfeld said:

No it could not be. If you read everything that he said carefully you will realize that. For example when he uses his phones mobile data connection the sites load in those very same browsers.

Yes it can be. When you know more about the working of the internet let me know your updated information.

1 hour ago, Photoguy21 said:

Try the Brave browser. I have just brought up the BBC site using it.

The browser issue is just part of, most likely, the same problem. More annoying os that the temperature sensor only sporadic upload data.

It all worked fine up until a month ago, but then something happened.

27 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The browser issue is just part of, most likely, the same problem. More annoying os that the temperature sensor only sporadic upload data.

It all worked fine up until a month ago, but then something happened.

If you click the Windows icon on the task bar then click on Windows Powershell (Admin) you will get as attached photo. In that window type sfc /scannow and press enter. This will check to see if you have any faulty drivers or applications

Windows Admin.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Yes it can be. When you know more about the working of the internet let me know your updated information.

Sorry but that's just trolling. I explained why you're wrong and you just flame. I've got no desire to discuss with you on that level. If you have some proper arguments then please come forth. Right now you are just throwing random stuff in this thread. For example scanning for faulty drivers on a windows machine. How does that explain the site not even loading on his iPhones Safari or his temperature sensor not being able to post data? Doesn't make sense.

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Exactly, the browser thing is just one manifestation of the root problem which seems outside your client machines. I still suspect something DNS related. Maybe try to set 1.1.1.1 as DNS in the router or in your temperature sensor if possible.

Chrome might get around potential DNS issues by using DoH (DNS-over-HTTPS). Firefox supports that too btw, there's an option to enable that under "Network Settings".

2122962090_ScreenShot2023-01-09at09_38_58.png.9f562be6a57ced6f74d5dc6636aa9f00.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Sorry but that's just trolling. I explained why you're wrong and you just flame. I've got no desire to discuss with you on that level. If you have some proper arguments then please come forth. Right now you are just throwing random stuff in this thread. For example scanning for faulty drivers on a windows machine. How does that explain the site not even loading on his iPhones Safari or his temperature sensor not being able to post data? Doesn't make sense.

Exactly, the browser thing is just one manifestation of the root problem which seems outside your client machines. I still suspect something DNS related. Maybe try to set 1.1.1.1 as DNS in the router or in your temperature sensor if possible.

Chrome might get around potential DNS issues by using DoH (DNS-over-HTTPS). Firefox supports that too btw, there's an option to enable that under "Network Settings".

2122962090_ScreenShot2023-01-09at09_38_58.png.9f562be6a57ced6f74d5dc6636aa9f00.png

You obviously know very little about the internet and compatibility of browsers.

17 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

You obviously know very little about the internet and compatibility of browsers.

Just calling you out on your BS ???? Please do explain how what you posted can cause his iOS Safari to fail to open those pages. Or how it relates to the loading working when tethering through the phone. Maybe I'll be able to learn something new?

3 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

All good advice and thanks for the link, but it does not cover network problems. They assume it is a device problem, while in my case Firefox is working perfectly fine on all other wifi, except my home router.

4 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

If you click the Windows icon on the task bar then click on Windows Powershell (Admin) you will get as attached photo. In that window type sfc /scannow and press enter. This will check to see if you have any faulty drivers or applications

Windows Admin.jpg

I will certainly try this, except I don't have a PC only mobile device.

I am meeting the CAT guy, he might bring a PC and then we can try, but unfortunately not until February. Will report back.

On 1/8/2023 at 3:31 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Below is a screenshot.

1673166545896.jpg

scr.png.18419bfa5e0d8bdab107441a17dc48d4.png

check the date and time on all your devices including the router (through its web interface), the secure connection would not establish if the date is wrong because applications will think that the SSL certificate is invalid because it is either not yet issued or outdated.

Edited by fdsa
  • Like 2