Lawyer for former Bangkok Police Chief to meet Japanese prosecutors

webfact

JAPAN
Camronwit's lawyer to meet Japanese prosecutors

THE NATION

30263066-04_big.jpg
Photo by : FNN

BANGKOK: -- A LAWYER representing former metropolitan police chief Lt-General Camronwit Toopkrajank, who was found carrying a handgun in his hand luggage prior to boarding a flight from Japan, will meet Japanese public prosecutors today, when they are expected to say whether the retired police officer will be arraigned.

The Thai Embassy in Tokyo reported that the Japanese police had interrogated Camronwit for a second time yesterday. If the prosecutors decide to take the case to court, he will be able to decide the direction of his defence.

In that event, he could propose bail or, if the case is dropped, he could return home.

Thai police spokesman Maj-General Prawut Thawornsiri said in Bangkok yesterday that the ongoing legal process would require Camronwit to be in custody for at least 20 days.

"The penalty of trying to have a gun on board is one to 10 years [in jail], while the penalty for having munitions on board is three to 10 years. The ongoing legal process will require Lt-General Camronwit to be in Japanese custody for at least 20 days." The spokesman cited a report from the Thai Embassy in Japan as saying that Camronwit was arrested at 5pm on Monday at Narita as he was about to board a flight back to Thailand.

Japanese police found a small revolver in a handbag he was carrying.

The embassy certified to the Japanese side that the suspect had travelled to Japan on an observation trip related to a garbage-fuelled power plant at the invitation of the Japanese authorities.

The trip comprised about 80 people.

The initial report said Camronwit admitted the weapon belonged to him, and that he had it loaded in his luggage when he left Bangkok.

But on the return trip, he put it in a medicine bag, which he then placed in his handbag.

Prawut said Camronwit had forgotten the gun was in the medicine bag.

Thai police had issued a certificate to say that Camronwit is retired senior police officer, who had no record of improper weapons usage.

Police chief Pol General Somyot Poompun-muoung has ordered that full help be afforded to Camronwit.

However, the legal process has to be conducted in accordance with Japanese laws, which are very strict about such offences, he said.

Prawut stressed that the weapon in question had been legally registered and Camronwit had been in possession of it for a long time before he retired. "The gun is very small, a little bigger than a car key chain," he said.

Prawut said the small gun may not have been noticed in the X-ray machine prior to his departure from Bangkok if it was in a vertical position when the bag was scanned at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

"Initial examination of the security cameras and X-ray machines found that Camronwit walked past the security system and Immigration by himself. It is not true that somebody was carrying his bag, as he completed the whole process by himself," the spokesman explained.

He said he personally believed that Camronwit had genuinely forgotten that he had the gun in his bag, as he was now an elderly man who could be easily be forgetful.

However, it is now up to the Japanese side to decide whether it will believe Camronwit's claim that he had no intention of carrying the gun on board.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said in Bangkok that he did not think Camronwit's case would have a negative impact on Thailand amidst the International Civil Aviation Organisation's ongoing safety concerns about the Thai aviation sector.

He was speaking in response to a question asking whether the Thai airport's security screening may be lax enough to have let Camronwit carry a gun without being noticed, and whether the case reflected the inadequacy of Thai |aviation security systems more generally.

Prayut said Camronwit's case should be considered as an individual occurrence, and the whole system should not be judged by just this one instance.

Meanwhile, Camronwit's son Trilup Toopkrajank had already left Bangkok for Tokyo to bring documents to certify Camronwit's ownership of the gun with the Japanese police.

Sirote Duangratana, general manager of Suvarnabhumi Airport, yesterday stressed that the investigation into the security footage on the day Camronwit boarded a flight to Japan did not show that he was carrying a gun with him.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Camronwits-lawyer-to-meet-Japanese-prosecutors-30263066.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-25

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Prawut said the small gun may not have been noticed in the X-ray machine prior to his departure from Bangkok if it was in a vertical position when the bag was scanned at Suvarnabhumi Airport."

Seriously, that's supposed to make us feel better about security at airports....

Why so soon? please Japan, let this guy rot in jail a little bit longer just to put out the sun

that he things it shines out his ass.... let him dine a yaki soba noodles so mush that he will

have learn respect to law of the land and the people around him....

"Prawut said the small gun may not have been noticed in the X-ray machine prior to his departure from Bangkok if it was in a vertical position when the bag was scanned at Suvarnabhumi Airport."

Seriously, that's supposed to make us feel better about security at airports....

And that's presuming as a VIP his baggage was actually screened.

Wonder when we'll be given the usual sob story that the poor man can't sleep and is off his food.

He has made statements that he took the gun with him, knew he had it with him, but had no intention to take it on the plane. So what did he intend to do with it when he returned? Leave it in the hotel room?

Edited by halloween

"The gun is very small, a little bigger than a car key chain," he said.

oh well...thats ok then...rolleyes.gif.....Drug smugglers should remember these excuses, sorry guv, sorry I had forgotten I put that coke in there and its only a little bit of coke...

whistling.gif

The initial report said Camronwit admitted the weapon belonged to him, and that he had it loaded in his luggage when he left Bangkok. But on the return trip, he put it in a medicine bag, which he then placed in his handbag. Prawut said Camronwit had forgotten the gun was in the medicine bag.

This is the second time he has changed his story. I wonder what the third version will be?

The initial report said Camronwit admitted the weapon belonged to him, and that he had it loaded in his luggage when he left Bangkok. But on the return trip, he put it in a medicine bag, which he then placed in his handbag. Prawut said Camronwit had forgotten the gun was in the medicine bag.

This is the second time he has changed his story. I wonder what the third version will be?

This is completely false and politically motivated ?

oh well...thats ok then...rolleyes.gif.....Drug smugglers should remember these excuses, sorry guv, sorry I had forgotten I put that coke in there and its only a little bit of coke...

whistling.gif

This is about as small as they get.

post-162723-0-25280700-1435190116_thumb.

It's my cigar lighter?

Not the truth for sure.

In a BP website article it's reported that some state security officials believe this was done to discredit Thai aviation safety.

If so are they saying Camronwit was involved because so far he's admitted the gun was his and he ' forgot ' he had it with him despite having put it in his check-in baggage prior to leaving Swampy. This would mean a Thai, for whatever reason or reward, was complicit in trying to scupper an industry in his own country

I could see this excuse if he was denying possession and was claiming it was planted and although he's changed his story twice it's a bit late to try the ' it must have been planted ' routine however it's not beyond believe that it will be tried..

Will you guys leave this chap alone as "he is now an elderly man who could easily be forgetful", ahhh bless.

Bit interestingly enough he is still compus mentus enough to be invited to Japan to study a garbage-fuelled pwer plant!

I somehow think that's not the only garbage in this story.

whistling.gif

This is about as small as they get.

attachicon.gif.22 Short NAA mini revolver.jpg

But the fact remains, it is still classed as a firearm, capable of discharging a round, and capable of killing someone, its not a novelty cigarette lighter, so whether

they caught him a .22 short NAA mini revolver or a 0.50 Desert Eagle, he is still in the poo

I read that a house speaker quoted to a source I cannot mention that this is a plot to discredit Thailand's aviation industry.

What the reporter failed to ask or even to mention is 'how?'.

It's not that complicated ... he illegally took a gun and ammunition on board a flight "from" Thailand, and no one found it ... someone < deleted > up on the Thai side of things at security.

Why would anyone need or want to bring a handgun to Japan?? It's got to be one of the safest nations on earth (earthquakes and Godzilla, aside).

As defence against all the Samurai and ninja's running around with their razor sharp swords ?

Why would anyone need or want to bring a handgun to Japan?? It's got to be one of the safest nations on earth (earthquakes and Godzilla, aside).

Dont give them an idea for an excuse.............." I brought it in case of Godzilla attack"

Im sorry I might be missing something here... why would a retired policeman on a business trip to Japan to view a waste burning power plant even contemplate packing a gun and taking it on commercial flight whether in luggage or carry on.... what possible motive/ driver/ intention/ need would an invited business guest need for a handgun in Japan..

I could somewhat understand this scenario if it was in bottom of his bag .. a relic from his yesteryear activities but he has admitted to packing it prior and then repacking it in Japan into his medicine bag that if I read correctly went into his hand held luggage

I could understand even have a modicum of sympathy if this was a situation where it was unknown by himself that it was in his bag.....i.e I forgot completely it was in there/ old bag I used to use years ago when i was on the force sort of thing ...... but he has obvious cognisance of its existence by virtue of the repack process in Japan and his reported statement that he consciously packed it prior to departure and thus has knowingly tried to board a commercial flight packing a firearm.......

This just doesn't make sense to me in any way . Im not normally a subscriber to conspiracy theories but its almost like he wanted to get caught on return leg hence transferring gun to his carry on luggage where he would have known the screening capability was far greater than what checked luggage receives....... why ??? Who benefits who loses from this if indeed he did want to get apprehended on the return leg.....

"An elderly man who could easily be forgetful' He's only 60 years of age, if that's 'elderly' in this day and age I must be positively ancient. Forgot my arse!

I am so sorry you forgot yoir arse, it is located between the top of your legs and the small of your back ;-). Hope this helps?

What a mess. The excuses from the local side are so transparent that I doubt the Japanese will fall for any of them. Since the Thais are putting so many resources into getting this General out of his own mess, they will probably end up letting him off with a slap on the wrists in the interests of diplomacy. We can all dream that he is punished as any other would be. Perhaps this is the excuse I needed to get back down to the temple for a bit of 'tum boon' clap2.gif

I do wonder why 80 people were over there looking at a waste facility though. Seems like an ironic waste of resources in itself.blink.png

his bag scanned at swampy? not on your life! he is a general! no thai would dare to question him! now the Japanese could not give a rats ass who he is! they scanned him and threw him in the slammer! all the priviledged thai's should take note.

As defence against all the Samurai and ninja's running around with their razor sharp swords ?

Just goes to show his ignorance. Ninjas can catch bullets in their bare hands, everyone knows that.

"The gun is very small, a little bigger than a car key chain," he said."
Aah then it is OK. It is just a cute, tiny revolver which can only make tiny holes in a body?

"the suspect had travelled to Japan on an observation trip related to a garbage-fuelled power plant at the invitation of the Japanese authorities." Yes, I can see why you want to bring along a gun for that - you never know when you have to defend yourself against dirty diapers.

Notice to all would-be plane hijackers, terrorists and gun toting criminals and ex-police officers:

Please remember to place your concealed weapons in a vertical position in your baggage remembering also to place said luggage on the correct side (thus keeping the weapon vertically aligned) before it enters the X-ray machine.

This story and the excuses are rediculous and nothing short of the most severe sentencing should be imposed on this individual. An unauthorised person taking a concealed weapon onto an aeroplane is completely unacceptable regardless of the excuse.

This person according to the report loaded it into his luggage and in a vertical position to conceal it. Emboldened by it not being detected he then moves it to his hand luggage to now have on board with him. Why would you do this??? We may never know if he had further intentions while on board the aircraft endangering everyone on board. It truly is unacceptable anyway you cut it!

With the recent disappearance of the Air Malayasia flight and the suicide crash of the German Wings plane, I cannot fathom what this person was thinking by doing this and the law needs to be applied fully to deter any further events happening. The very fact that he put this gun and ammunition in his luggage on both legs of his journey without declaring to the authorities clearly shows he believes he is above the law. A belief, I suspect, many others of his fraternity faithfully believe. This may be so and acceptable here in Thailand, but Japan needs to step up to the plate and ensure this is prosecuted fully. To do anything less will be far more damaging to them and their image and will set a future president which cannot be undone.

Edited by Dukeleto