Boston bomber Tsarnaev apologises to victims in court

webfact

Boston Marathon bomber says he's sorry for the first time
By DENISE LAVOIE

BOSTON (AP) — Moments before a judge sentenced him to death, Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev broke more than two years of silence Wednesday and apologized to the victims and their loved ones for the first time. "I pray for your relief, for your healing," he said.

"I am sorry for the lives that I've taken, for the suffering that I've caused you, for the damage that I've done — irreparable damage," the 21-year-old former college student, speaking haltingly in his Russian accent, said after rising to his feet in the hushed federal courtroom.

After Tsarnaev said his piece, U.S. District Judge George O'Toole Jr. quoted Shakespeare's line "The evil that men do lives after them. The good is often interred with their bones."

"So it will be for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev," the judge said, telling Tsarnaev that no one will remember that his teachers were fond of him, that his friends found him fun to be with or that he showed compassion to disabled people.

"What will be remembered is that you murdered and maimed innocent people and that you did it willfully and intentionally," O'Toole said.

Tsarnaev looked down and rubbed his hands together as the judge pronounced his fate: execution, the punishment decided on by the jury last month for the attack that killed three people and wounded more than 260.

The apology came after Tsarnaev listened impassively for about three hours as a procession of 24 victims and survivors lashed out at him for his "cowardly" and "disgusting" acts and urged him to show some remorse at long last.

Tsarnaev assured the victims he was paying attention.

"All those who got up on that witness stand and that podium relayed to us, to me — I was listening — the suffering that was and the hardship that still is, with strength and with patience and with dignity," he said.

The outcome of the proceedings was never in doubt: The judge was required under law to impose the jury's death sentence for the April 15, 2013, attack that authorities said was retaliation for U.S. wars in Muslim lands.

The only real suspense was whether Tsarnaev would say anything when offered the chance to speak. And if so, would he show remorse? Or would he make a political statement and seek to justify the attack?

During his trial, he showed a trace of emotion only once, when he cried while his aunt was on the stand. And the only evidence of any remorse came from Sister Helen Prejean, the "Dead Man Walking" death penalty opponent, who quoted him as saying of the victims: "No one deserves to suffer like they did."

His apology was a five-minute address peppered with religious references and praise of Allah. He asked that Allah have mercy upon him and his dead brother and partner in crime, Tamerlan, but he made no mention of the motive for the bombing.

He paused several times as if struggling to maintain his composure. He faced the judge while speaking but addressed himself to the victims.

Tsarnaev admitted he carried out the bombing — "If there's any lingering doubt about that, let there be no more" — and added: "I did do it along with my brother."

Outside court, some bombing survivors said they doubted Tsarnaev's sincerity.

"It really does not change anything for me," Scott Weisberg said.

But another survivor, Henry Borgard, said: "I was actually really happy that he made the statement. I have forgiven him. I have come to a place of peace and I genuinely hope that he does as well."

U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz said Tsarnaev left important things unsaid: "He didn't renounce terrorism. He didn't renounce violent extremism."

Tsarnaev will probably be sent to the death row unit at the federal penitentiary in Terre Haute, Indiana, where Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh was executed. It could take years or even decades for his appeals to work their way through the courts.

In May, the jury condemned the former college student to die for joining his older brother in setting off the two pressure-cooker bombs near the finish line and in killing an MIT police officer as they fled. Tamerlan, 26, was killed during the getaway.

At his sentencing, a somber-looking Tsarnaev, wearing a dark sport jacket with a collared shirt and no tie, sat between his lawyers, his chair turned toward the lectern from which the victims spoke. He picked at his beard and gazed downward most of the time, only occasionally looking at the victims.

"He can't possibly have had a soul to do such a horrible thing," said Karen Rand McWatters, who lost a leg in the attack and whose best friend, 29-year-old Krystle Campbell, was killed.

Campbell's mother, Patricia Campbell, looked across the room at Tsarnaev, seated about 20 feet away, and spoke directly to him.

"What you did to my daughter is disgusting," she said. "I don't know what to say to you. I think the jury did the right thing."

Rebekah Gregory, a Texas woman who lost a leg in the bombing, defiantly told Tsarnaev she is not his victim.

"While your intention was to destroy America, what you have really accomplished is actually quite the opposite — you've unified us," she said, staring directly at Tsarnaev as he looked down.

"We are Boston strong, we are America strong, and choosing to mess with us was a terrible idea. So how's that for your VICTIM impact statement?"

Bill Richard, whose 8-year-old son Martin was the youngest person killed in the bombing, noted that his family would have preferred that Tsarnaev receive a life sentence so that he could contemplate his crimes.

Richard said his family has chosen love, kindness and peace, adding: "That is what makes us different than him."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-06-25

The guy never spoke to the jurors so the jury drew its own conclusions about being ignored by him, getting stiff armed by Tsarnaev. Indeed, only at the last minute did Tsarnaev speak to the judge today and even then he managed to offend survivors and the rest of us by muttering his bent Allah stuff.

The jurors found that Tsarnaev should be sentenced to death on six counts.

Count 4: Use of a weapon of mass destruction (Pressure Cooker Bomb #2) on or about April 15, 2013, in the vicinity of 755 Boylston Street in Boston, Massachusetts, and aiding and abetting, resulting in deaths of Lingzi Lu and Martin Richard.

Count 5: Possession or use of a firearm (Pressure Cooker Bomb #2) during and in relation to a crime of violence resulting in deaths of Lingzi Lu and Martin Richard.

Count 9: Bombing of a place of public use resulting in deaths of Lingzi Lu and Martin Richard.

Count 10: Possession or use of a firearm (Pressure Cooker Bomb #2) during and in relation to a crime of violence, namely, the bombing of a place of public use as in Count Nine of this section, and aiding and abetting, resulting in deaths of Lingzi Lu and Martin Richard.

Count 14: Malicious destruction of property by means of an explosive (Pressure Cooker Bomb #2) resulting in deaths of Lingzi Lu and Martin Richard.

Count 15: Possession or use of a firearm (Pressure Cooker Bomb #2) during and in relation to a crime of violence, namely, malicious destruction of property as in Count Fourteen of this section, and aiding and abetting, resulting in deaths of Lingzi Lu and Martin Richard.

Nice to hear there was a sense of the dignity of human life within this young man.

I do not suppose he could have said anything more worthy of note to those remaining survivors who have secured the best justice their remaining community can deliver for this great travesty against humanity.

Face it ... the only reason the American public gave him any sympathy at all in the first place was because of his youth and his (previous) boy band good lucks and light skin didn't hurt either. So I'm glad he got the death penalty because none of those are good reasons to treat him better.

It also came out yesterday that during pre-trial proceedings this guy and his lawyers offered in a letter to plead guilty, say he's sorry in return for no trial and life, a classic plea bargain.

The report is the Feds said no because the guy was not sincere and the lawyer was doing legal maneuvering; that the case was so atrocious he needed to be tried and the death penalty imposed. If that's how it in fact went, then the Feds in Washington made a very good call.

I am hearing only that Tsarnaev's confession in court today with his apology can only hurt him legally on appeal and anyway has no legal benefit for him.

The bottom line concerning the death penalty btw is whether a government wants to apply not only justice to the guilty person but also wants to exact retribution and vengeance. Sometimes it can be necessary to do exactly these things because this guy slashed and burned his way through civilians and police at a traditional global event in a city that in US history is the "Cradle of Liberty."

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is a terrorist and he is a traitor to his oath to the Constitution.

His sitting around for upwards of 20 years to ruminate then be sent to Kingdom Come sounds like a pretty good package deal courtesy of his once welcoming and never again friendly Uncle Sam.

The guy never spoke to the jurors so the jury drew its own conclusions about being ignored by him, getting stiff armed by Tsarnaev. Indeed, only at the last minute did Tsarnaev speak to the judge today and even then he managed to offend survivors and the rest of us by muttering his bent Allah stuff.

Count 4: Use of a weapon of mass destruction (Pressure Cooker Bomb #2) on or about April 15, 2013, in the vicinity of 755 Boylston Street in Boston, Massachusetts, and aiding and abetting, resulting in deaths of Lingzi Lu and Martin Richard.

Count 5: Possession or use of a firearm (Pressure Cooker Bomb #2) during and in relation to a crime of violence resulting in deaths of Lingzi Lu and Martin Richard.

Count 9: Bombing of a place of public use resulting in deaths of Lingzi Lu and Martin Richard.

Count 10: Possession or use of a firearm (Pressure Cooker Bomb #2) during and in relation to a crime of violence, namely, the bombing of a place of public use as in Count Nine of this section, and aiding and abetting, resulting in deaths of Lingzi Lu and Martin Richard.

Count 14: Malicious destruction of property by means of an explosive (Pressure Cooker Bomb #2) resulting in deaths of Lingzi Lu and Martin Richard.

Count 15: Possession or use of a firearm (Pressure Cooker Bomb #2) during and in relation to a crime of violence, namely, malicious destruction of property as in Count Fourteen of this section, and aiding and abetting, resulting in deaths of Lingzi Lu and Martin Richard.

I think you're wrong to call his religious mutterings "bent". I think if he offended survivors with it, that that is their problem not his.

Having said that, I personally would not accept his apology or his demonstration of regret for the victims families, sincere or not. He is unforgiven in my mind, and will remain so.

I don't care if the sentence drags on to carry out....it can't be nice living under that cloud in the full knowledge that no reprieve will ever come. And when his death does finally come....it will be like any other day, except perhaps a bit brighter than normal.

I think you're wrong to call his religious mutterings "bent". I think if he offended survivors with it, that that is their problem not his.

Having said that, I personally would not accept his apology or his demonstration of regret for the victims families, sincere or not. He is unforgiven in my mind, and will remain so.

I don't care if the sentence drags on to carry out....it can't be nice living under that cloud in the full knowledge that no reprieve will ever come. And when his death does finally come....it will be like any other day, except perhaps a bit brighter than normal.

The post makes sense to me except somewhat for the first part at the top.

Joker is Muslim, however, his brand of Islam is warped and severely demented. I think of the messages he scrawled in blood inside the boat where he was captured as but one instance.

Only a handful of Muslims if that many have the same Allah as this deranged guy and his malevolent brother/family had. A number of the survivors in the courtroom today said the last thing they wanted to hear from him were references to the Allah he as a terrorist believes in.

The post makes sense to me except somewhat for the first part at the top.

Joker is Muslim, however, his brand of Islam is warped and severely demented. I think of the messages he scrawled in blood inside the boat where he was captured as but one instance.

Only a handful of Muslims if that many have the same Allah as this deranged guy and his malevolent brother/family had. A number of the survivors in the courtroom today said the last thing they wanted to hear from him were references to the Allah he as a terrorist believes in.

Yeah, that sorta makes sense to me too.

Guess it was a kneejerk reaction. I'm used to hearing out-and-out Islamaphobic bile from people who lump the entire religion into one heap to hate, and I didn't stop to think where you were coming from.

Now that you've explained, I retract. wai.gif

Edited by Seastallion

You have to wonder if dirt bags like him will get the 72 virgin package deal or is there is something different waiting for him; like being called a bitch for the next 20 years by some big hairy dude who likes youngish Muslim radicals ?

One side of me thinks they could take him out tomorrow and put a bullet in his head and bury him in a pig's belly but the other side says that would be to swift and clean for him..

Sentenced to death 6 times...

A fate worse then being hung, drawn & quartered, at least then they only tried to revive them once after hanging them so the were alive when the were drawn and quartered.

Anyway with Americas recent history of botched executions, 6 executions may just finish him off.