Sophon Cable 150 digital channels

hound

My friend told me that Sophon was offering 150 digital channels and all I had to do was buy a digital box for 700 baht.

I went to big C and told them I wanted the digital box for Sophon Cable. They got a digital box for me. I bought the box.

It was temperamental and if the connection wasn't perfect I had mosaics and pixilation in the picture. I also only got about 25 channels.

My friend kept investigating and finally found you need to talk to Sophon and get their box. I bought a new box from Sophon for 790 baht. It works great!! I get almost 150 channels, many high def. and great picture quality.

Anyway, I wanted to let people know not to buy a box at big C. Get the box from Sophon.

No extra charges from Sophon.

We got a voucher from the Government so the box was free from Sophon however, apparently you need to be the owner/resident of the house you live in so no good for renters or people in Company. Please note I said apparently so no flaming if you have found different.

hound.

I'm pretty sure that the first box you got from Big C was for the Digital Terrestrial TV ( Digital TV by an antenna )

that would explain only 25 channels and poor reception, surprising you got any reception are you on a high floor condo ?

The second box requires a Sophon Cable conection ??

some other threads on this

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/813680-sophon-cable-going-digital/?p=9550170

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/807012-why-would-i-want-this/?p=9550162

RabC.

Renters ( or anyone else ) can ( not tried yet but will soon ) use a signed copy of the owners house book to redeem the voucher.

Edited by johng

Like I said, I am getting about 150 channels. There are several movie channels. I am not going to list them. You can check with Sophon.

I don't think the first box was for digital terrestrial tv. It had the coax connection for a cable. My friend experienced a similar problem with a different box that he bought (not at sophon).

Like I said, I am getting about 150 channels. There are several movie channels. I am not going to list them. You can check with Sophon.

I don't think the first box was for digital terrestrial tv. It had the coax connection for a cable. My friend experienced a similar problem with a different box that he bought (not at sophon).

Sophon website does not list the 150 channels from their box only posts the 50 channels you gt through the regular cable

In addition to the normal 80 or so analogue channels there are 150 digital channels, I was trying to post the new Sophon guide but can not for some reason. The clarity of the digital channels is a lot better.

Someone is reporting in another thread this is not turned on until Dec 2015 in Pattaya. hound are you in the Pattaya area?

See my previous post, if you are on Sophon you will get 150 extra channels of Digital TV if you have their box and thats right now.

Someone is reporting in another thread this is not turned on until Dec 2015 in Pattaya. hound are you in the Pattaya area?

See my previous post, if you are on Sophon you will get 150 extra channels of Digital TV if you have their box and thats right now.

Many of those digital channels appear to be the same as the analogue ones, which is entirely understandable.

What interests me is exactly which extra English-language (not Thai, not Russian, not Chinese, not Arabic nor any other non-English language) channels one actually gets from digital that one doesn't also get from analogue?

Someone is reporting in another thread this is not turned on until Dec 2015 in Pattaya.

That is the Thai DTT (Digital Terrestrial Television) service, receivable using a regular RF antenna. Only Thai channels, as far as I know.

That was me telling everyone about the 1st December digital terrestrial transmitter switch on for Pattaya and Siricha.

Apparently if you have Sophon cable TV you can now get a ( different )box from them offering 150 digital channels.

Someone said they bought a box from Big C and connected it to the Sophon cable network and got bad reception and only 25 channels I can only Imagine that is possible because Sophon /and or the condo incorporates the DTT signal maybe from the Bangkok transmitter into the feed they provide.

Any questions speak with Anne ( English) @ Sophon 038-438-777.

I posted earlier that it's a one time investment for hardware upgrade. You still have a recurring monthly service with Sophon. This box purchased from them will insure you have the best cable package other than true currently available in Pattaya. Those who want there HDTV working upgrade and buy the box!

I couldn't be happier with the upgrade!

Many of those digital channels appear to be the same as the analogue ones, which is entirely understandable.

What interests me is exactly which extra English-language (not Thai, not Russian, not Chinese, not Arabic nor any other non-English language) channels one actually gets from digital that one doesn't also get from analogue?

Read the PDFs I posted and you can find out.

I would say 6. Three sports and 3 movie in HDTV. If there where no additional channels just the 80 the hdtv box still is worth the one time purchase cost of 790 baht. If your a cheap Charlie wouldn't you still want a perfect picture on your Large HDTV screen?

To know for sure how many new channels look above at the off file and please tell us!

I would say 6. Three sports and 3 movie in HDTV. If there where no additional channels just the 80 the hdtv box still is worth the one time purchase cost of 790 baht. If your a cheap Charlie wouldn't you still want a perfect picture on your Large HDTV screen?

I barely watch cable TV at all as the programmes are mostly rubbish. Better picture quality would not change that on its own. I was just curious as to exactly what extra worthwhile channels came with it. I'm not interested in sport but the three film channels might be worth paying for.

Read the PDFs I posted and you can find out.

As with most Thai documents, I found those pdfs to be very unclear. Not your fault, of course.

According to the PDF RabC posted and by his own experience if you have a recent tv capable of receiving digital TV

you can hook it up to the Sophon cable to view the 150 channels no need for their box

So I'm assuming that Sophon is sending a DVB-C signal and that maybe explains why the first box that hound bought from Big C ( most likley DVB-T2 ) had problems.

RabC can you have a look at the specifications for your TV does it have a DVB-C tuner ?????

Edited by johng

According to the PDF RabC posted and by his own experience if you have a recent tv capable of receiving digital TV

you can hook it up to the Sophon cable to view the 150 channels no need for their box

So I'm assuming that Sophon is sending a DVB-C signal and that maybe explains why the first box that hound bought from Big C ( most likley DVB-T2 ) had problems.

RabC can you have a look at the specifications for your TV does it have a DVB-C tuner ?????

Yes my new TV has both analogue and digital receivers hence why I don't need the set top box. Apparently dual receivers are pretty standard these days on new TVs mine is an LG.

See below for details:

http://www.lg.com/th/tv/lg-42LN570T

Sorry cant find the English page brochure but you can see from the logo its Digital TV ready.

Edited by RabC

I just had a thought if it had a coax connector maybe it was a Satellite box ????? but that shouldn't have got anything......

do you have a model number or photo of the Big C box you tried hound ?

When I recently signed up for Sophon Cable I had to ask about them having more than the standard 80 channels. With prepayment of 1 year in advance, you get the digital box for free. So it worked out to just 300 baht a month. BUT, while the clarity is very good, there are NO additional English channels. I finally removed it and put it into a closet. Why should I have to remember two different channel lineups from the living room TV to the bedroom TV? Another farce that sounds good on paper, but in reality, means nothing!

I would beg to differ about no new English Language Channels, I am wy from home right now so cant go through my channels, Also the ability to watch some Thai TV channels in English is a bonus, being able to switch between languages.

So, all you need to do is go to the office pay about 700 for the box bring it home hook it up and you will get all of the same channels and more?

Nothing else to do or change?

Or the account owner needs to do something?

Apologies if this has been covered, do you need to show them anything, i currently get free sophon cable with my rented place.

How do I get the free coupon or only for thais, would my business owner have it?

(Please accept my repost from the other thread as i have no answers there, thanks)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yesterday the analog sophon channels all seem to have mover around!

I had previously grouped them ..... English Language Movie, English Language News, Sports then the Thai stuff.

Now they are all over the place on both my TVs...... is it worth resorting them or will there be further movements?

Edited by jacko45k