Thai-English actress 'Anna Reese' kills cop in car crash

webfact

44 deaths per 100000 people puts the annual death toll at over 26000, over 70 people per day which is also the figure recently released by a Thai Interior Minister and the WHO.

I thought the figures looked low compared to others I had seen. But I went with the stats I found.

Thank you for the correction.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two people made mistakes (possibly three including the motorcyclist), like we all do. Just one of those people is now dead.

We are discussing it here because the other one of those people was a celebrity.

If that is not the case why are the other sixteen or so deaths that happen every day on Thai roads not being talked about with so much interest?

(Edit: Of course there will be peaks and troughs as there are huge peaks around Songkran for instance, but that's the average)

You think I exaggerate?

"A study this year (2014) showed that Thailand ranked number two of road fatalities in the world, with 44 road deaths per 100,000 people. Fatalities from road accidents made up 5.1 percent of Thailand’s overall deaths. According to the Royal Thai Police, there were 6,185 deaths as a result of road traffic incidents between October 2013 and September 2014 (4,610 males and 1,575 females). In comparing statistics it should be noted that there is a difference in the method of calculating statistics for road deaths in Thailand (at the scene of the accident) and the WHO (within 30 days of the accident)."

https://www.gov.uk/government/world-location-news/2014-world-day-of-remembrance-for-road-traffic-victims

You can download the full report as well if you wanted to read more : http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/road_safety_status/2013/en/

6185 / 365 = 16.94 lets say that's sixteen a day.

But you know this already, you deal with it every day.

Every Thai friend I have spoken to has seen someone die on the roads. Some many more than once.

Yes I have limited experience of Thailand, I am a English Motorcycle Instructor, what do I know about Thailand?

In fact I have openly asked for people to comment on my riding in Thailand - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS02PZ8gdJQ

I ride as best I can to our Police Roadcraft Standards and have spent many years learning defensive riding techniques.

However I am always looking for new ideas, new ways to keep us motorcyclists alive on the roads.

The latest ideas in the UK are to avoid such accidents in the first place. We all have the skills and abilities to do so.

I know some here will attack me with the usual TiT argument, Most people who have passed their driving test think they are a good driver (It's always someone else who needs training or is a bad driver).

I don't claim I can wave a magic want and make Thailand safe. But it can be done.

I hope at least a few of you will take the time to have a look at this.

http://nosurprise.org.uk/

It is not about pointing fingers and blaming anyone. Just avoiding the event happening in the first place. Taking responsibility for our own actions. I include myself in this, we are all still learning.

44 deaths per 100000 people puts the annual death toll at over 26000, over 70 people per day which is also the figure recently released by a Thai Interior Minister and the WHO.

That is such stupid number. What country does not formulate that into better policy for better public outcomes?

Policy!! Policing or just go native? At what point does the care factor say, forget it?

Edited by optad

So the police are going to investigate why the policeman at the scene let the woman go home with relatives before being questioned and presumaby breathalysed?

If that is cause for concern for them why didnt the go and collect her straight away instead of waiting more than 10 hours for her to stroll down herself?

Just another excuse cover up that point to any uncomfortable questions that arise.

Should be mandatorary sentences irrespective of cash payments. For example an accident such as this one should justify a minimum (I am being light on it as well) of 1 year in jail. Compensation is an addition to this

A timely reminder to us all to keep our side lights and seat belt on when stopped at the side of the road.

Many would agree with your comment but do they understand and comply in Thailand? My Thai companion is a nurse and many times I have to "nudge" her to wear the seat belt in a car. And her profession (among others) sees the results of bad driving. Go figure sad.png

They let her go home without immediately submitting her to a blood test or a breathalyser? This is after seen visibly staggering and a smell of alcohol at the scene. I just can't believe the level of incompetence and bowing and scraping to anyone of the slightest importance. It's truly sickening.

So the police are going to investigate why the policeman at the scene let the woman go home with relatives before being questioned and presumaby breathalysed?

If that is cause for concern for them why didnt the go and collect her straight away instead of waiting more than 10 hours for her to stroll down herself?

Just another excuse cover up that point to any uncomfortable questions that arise.

Mandatory breath testing is not axiomatic in Thailand but should be. Agree.

Speed kills. And she must have been motoring. Hope they spend that poor copper's life for something.

Speed doesn't kill , lack of attention signals and awareness kills.

It does. "Lack of attention signals and awareness" without 100+kph and he lives.

You are using the same excuse as the Thais do. Just that awareness cannot be measured. Its just stupid.

You are using simplistic thinking. I have been speeding for 50 years and I am not injured or dead (obviously)! "Speeding" suggests breaking the defined speed limits! Speed can increase the severity of the accident.

Driving too fast for the conditions is what causes death and injury!

They let her go home without immediately submitting her to a blood test or a breathalyser? This is after seen visibly staggering and a smell of alcohol at the scene. I just can't believe the level of incompetence and bowing and scraping to anyone of the slightest importance. It's truly sickening.

She is an actress how does that make her important?

Speed kills. And she must have been motoring. Hope they spend that poor copper's life for something.

It does. "Lack of attention signals and awareness" without 100+kph and he lives.

You are using the same excuse as the Thais do. Just that awareness cannot be measured. Its just stupid.

You are using simplistic thinking. I have been speeding for 50 years and I am not injured or dead (obviously)! "Speeding" suggests breaking the defined speed limits! Speed can increase the severity of the accident.

So your argument runs along the lines , everyone self assesses what is okay?

Simple huh?

It does in Thailand.

And by the way. That is probably the exact argument the motorcyclist who cut her off and kept going might offer.

I have never understood the logic of "I" when we are dealing with a collective "we" on the roads. Arrogant.

Edited by optad

It does in Thailand.

As Anthony Hopkins said when it was said by an interviewer 'Acting must be very hard', he replied "What is hard about it? You have breakfast then you are driven to the studio, you get a script that you read but was written by someone else. Your makeup is not put on by you, someone else does that, so what is so hard about reading from a paper others have written?"

Edited by gandalf12

IT CERTAINLY DOES------ If she was travelling at say 50k she would not have hit the police car so hard and the poor cop might have ended up with a stiff neck for a couple of days,but at over 100k HE IS DEAD--- the only common denominator is the SPEED.She may have had that second or two to avoid the police car --------- time to compensate for that lack of attention,signals and awareness-------- and to save a life!

I think it is a wonderful thing that she decided to wander back in to the police station and take the drug & alcohol tests that she was allowed/able to bugger off from the night before.

Was thinking the same thing, ever so nice of her, deserves a medal that girl.

IT CERTAINLY DOES------ If she was travelling at say 50k she would not have hit the police car so hard and the poor cop might have ended up with a stiff neck for a couple of days,but at over 100k HE IS DEAD--- the only common denominator is the SPEED.She may have had that second or two to avoid the police car --------- time to compensate for that lack of attention,signals and awareness-------- and to save a life!

You have mixed the message somehow but happy to entertain.

Speed does kill is my single point here.

Some posters wish to intermingle other factors with speed or exclude speed. Conditions, capability, awareness etc. Not one of these ideas is measurable or applicable across and bigger public than themself. The "I". How does a society offer standards in these terms? Nuts.

We do not live alone and the collective is traffic. There is a mutuality in that being careful means 'i care for others' which may occasion laws. Anna did not do this or respect others.

Whether she was drunk or disturbed or just emotional does nothing to ameliorate the fact she ploughed into the rear of another car. She killed someone because she was not in control.

"...Tassapong Phonpho, a security guard working at a showroom near the scene of the crash, provided matching information..."

If what she says is true and I'm leaning that way since a guard also saw and heard a big bike at the same time and heard the bike slow down, then I see nothing as her fault. Tell me no one has ever seen idiots on bikes do idiot things?

1000's of us drive on main roads at 100kph all the time. Hell that's nothing compared to some idiots that drive up to 140kph and more.

Also, nothing was said about lighting conditions and how easy it was to see the cops car or how and where exactly he was parked.

"escaping arrest"...well that's a complete joke. The police on the scene let her go. What would you do, refuse to go and hope new police come who will arrest you? She did show up and take responsibility and she certainly showed remorse.

What we do know is that NONE of us knows the facts.

Everyone is busy insulting each other they've seem to have lost sight of the article. I find it interesting that the driver was allowed to leave without an investigation and when she does deign to make a statement a witness appears and collaborates her story. Maybe I'm just a cynic but that seems like a big coincidence.