Why Koh Samui is one of Thailand’s best investment bets in 2015

Improved connectivity to the established resort destination is set to reignite the real estate sector

With the recent granting by Thailand’s Civil Aviation Department to increase the flight capacity of Samui Airport from 36 to 50 flights per day, industry analysts are optimistic that many investors, local and international, are eyeing the resort destination for real estate investment.

continued .. http://www.property-report.com/promoted-why-koh-samui-is-still-one-of-thailands-best-investment-bets-in-2015/

Can remember 50 and more flights per day in the 90s/00s. It was the time of the Farang. Question is, if the now increase and with that the increased Chinese and Indian hordes to come are potential investors?

Can remember 50 and more flights per day in the 90s/00s. It was the time of the Farang. Question is, if the now increase and with that the increased Chinese and Indian hordes to come are potential investors?

lots of Chinese , many more in the last 12 months and quite a few looking to invest

For me Samui is already ruined by too much development inspite of crazy land prices money is still pouring in.Cheong mon is about to be ruined,bangkok air flight prices are so crazily high yet still capacity is full.Too many people with too much money are coming to spoil the island.It happens everywhere where there is no "development control"

Would not put another baht into Samui,days are numbered!

Me either, so glad we sold out in time. Samui no zoning, no planning, no garbage plan, no water treatment plants, no police, no security and on and on ........

lots of Chinese , many more in the last 12 months and quite a few looking to invest

Just a suspicion, your not by any chance connected to the Real Estate business are you?

I see villas for sale at the same price now as what they were when I worked there 9 years ago.......and some the same still for sale. Rental rates the same also. Love Samui but logistically its in the wrong place especially with Bangkok Air having control of the airport. Major flooding dosnt help either.

I see villas for sale at the same price now as what they were when I worked there 9 years ago.......and some the same still for sale. Rental rates the same also. Love Samui but logistically its in the wrong place especially with Bangkok Air having control of the airport. Major flooding dosnt help either.

Major flooding? That was years ago and i defense it was incredibly severe weather that you cannot plan for.

Seen worse flooding in a normal downpour in Pattaya actually.

All in all, seeing as little or nothing is done to help, protect, enhance and improve tourism in any way this place is doing rather well.

Imagine if they actually took a real interest in the welfare of tourists!

Yeah, lots of Chinese investing and opening things here alright. But many of them, their mentality and attitude stinks.

I had a Chinese/Australian couple staying at a house here and within 3 months, they've managed to piss off the house owner by paying late rent and not keeping up with their words. They were promised special 3 month price, but paid only for 1 month, by dividing that price by 3. Also when I notified them about the late payment, this was our chat long.

When they finally moved out, the owner called me and told me she has never ever been this happy that somebody moved out of her property.

post-17753-0-86154600-1435383757_thumb.j

post-17753-0-63585400-1435383763_thumb.j

post-17753-0-69836700-1435383767_thumb.j

post-17753-0-53979400-1435383772_thumb.j

post-17753-0-77160100-1435383776_thumb.j

Even the contractors they hired to do renovation work on their business in Chaweng for them despises them. Always paid late, and if they didn't nag about the payments, they wouldn't get paid.

But sooner or later, they'll get bitten and realize that it's not that easy to make good money here on Samui. It's a small island where most families know or are related to each other, so definitely not a good start to make everybody and their brother hate you. They're gonna suck you dry of your money, then spit out your bones off the island with your tails between your legs.

There may be some good money to be made during high season, but that's only December-March + August.

The rest of the year, Chaweng is like a graveyard. Most businesses won't ever make enough to even pay for the rent.

Edited by Mole

The number of flights have been capped at max 36 since they built the airport for environmental reasons.

The aviation authorities changed it to 50 in December.

Major flooding? That was years ago and i defense it was incredibly severe weather that you cannot plan for.

Seen worse flooding in a normal downpour in Pattaya actually.

All in all, seeing as little or nothing is done to help, protect, enhance and improve tourism in any way this place is doing rather well.

Imagine if they actually took a real interest in the welfare of tourists!

The flooding was due to the reckless filling and reclamation of the natural watershed which is now Laem Din. Here is a pic 1983 before the wise ones filled it in and made billions !

post-90689-0-50537100-1435399750_thumb.j

Most Bangkok airways flights during low season more than 60% empty each flight and more than 30% of travellers are codeshare, a complete waste to the environment and emission pouring in and out samui, should be guidelines minimum of passengers per flight. Last time I've flown Bkk to usm last month just filled two minivan on a A319 aircraft.

You must have just skimmed the surface then! There is a very small percentage of property at the same kind of price as a decade ago. The average price has shot up over 100%, and with dozens of new luxury villas being built every month, it seems.

Likewise rental prices. The last time I was looking to rent a place was almost 11 years ago, and I found a 2-bedroom place with aircon in Mae Nam for 6,000 baht a month. I have just made the move to a new place - and believe me you simply cannot find anything under 10 - 12K a month, with basic tiny rabbit-hutch bedsits (called 'studios', for some reason) for around the 10K mark. The equivalent of what I've been paying 6K for previously is now costing me 15K.

When I came to live here, Phuket was the most expensive place in Thailand. I think there's no two ways about it - that accolade now belongs to Samui.

R

You must have just skimmed the surface then! There is a very small percentage of property at the same kind of price as a decade ago. The average price has shot up over 100%, and with dozens of new luxury villas being built every month, it seems.

Likewise rental prices. The last time I was looking to rent a place was almost 11 years ago, and I found a 2-bedroom place with aircon in Mae Nam for 6,000 baht a month. I have just made the move to a new place - and believe me you simply cannot find anything under 10 - 12K a month, with basic tiny rabbit-hutch bedsits (called 'studios', for some reason) for around the 10K mark. The equivalent of what I've been paying 6K for previously is now costing me 15K.

When I came to live here, Phuket was the most expensive place in Thailand. I think there's no two ways about it - that accolade now belongs to Samui.

R

Not quite true, there are houses in the 6000 to 8000 range around parts of Maenam, some newer places, 12 to 15,000 range...

I am just in the process of moving, and my old house, will be available very soon, could be considered a "two" bedroom, in a very quite area, 8000 baht a month range, including water and electric... a good discount to perhaps 7000 baht a month if paid a year or perhaps even six months in advance...

Very good no nonsense friendly landlord.... and long term neighbours, would suite long term only as one would need one's own furniture, although basic stuff is there..... Two people looked at it today, I don't think it will hang around for long... PM me if anyone is seriously interested...

I now have a place for even less, so one has to ask and look around for the deals.... they are out there... and not tumbled down shacks either! wink.png

5k in Bang Phor, 1 bedroom, living room etc less than 100m to the beach. Maenam 8k upwards .... not really expensive at all. More for 2 b/r and if you want Chaweng or Lamai more again but stay there a while and you will move out anyway.