OooooHHHH I Hope Not....

Gonzo the Face

Well just returned from Makro on the Super....... and guess what ?????? They are out of Coke Light Againnnnnn.

Remember last year , the out of Diet Coke again story. Welcome to the 2015 edition. Makro did have some that were broken down into the 6 pak group, but you cannot put 4 of them together as a case, must pay the premium for the 4 - 6 paks if you want them.

Thinking , no problem, I'll stop off at the Coca Cola warehouse on the way back. Guess what , they said they have been out for a few days now and did not have any date that new loads will arrive.

So to all you Diet Coke/Coke Light addicts out there , best get to your Mom & Pop Shop to pick up what you can , while you can, before all run out.

Gonzo

I prefer my Diet Coke warmed to over 86F in a Thai shack - for that extra bite

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9714421

Formaldehyde derived from dietary aspartame binds to tissue

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/DOCKETS/dailys/03/Jan03/012203/02P-0317_emc-000196.txt

Formaldehyde Exposure. The formaldehyde exposure from aspartame
is significant. Aspartame breaks down into methanol, amino acids
and several other chemicals. The methanol is quickly absorbed and
converted into formaldehyde. The methanol found in foods and
alcoholic beverages is also absorbed, but there are "protective
chemicals" in these traditionally-ingested foods and beverages that
prevent the conversion of methanol to formaldehyde.

Formaldehyde is known to cause gradual damage to the nervous system,
the immune system and has recently been shown to cause irreversible
genetic damage at long-term, low-level exposure.

No wonder there is a shortage of Lite or Zero when many bars and some restaurants are selling it for four times what they pay for it. Strangely ordinary Coke, which is the same price when bought at Makro etc, is often sold for half that price. It would be interesting to see how these bars fared when they marked up the beer the same way.

I hope that one of the reasons you are posting this matter of concern is to let everyone know that you are not party to this gouging.

Personally, I avoid any restaurant that charges more for diet sodas than regular ones. The wholesale and retail prices are exactly the same, so I see no justification for the surcharge, but a fair number of places do this for some reason. Gonzo's Pun Pun is not want of them.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Find a well maintained water machine that charges .5 Baht per liter. Pour water over ice, and add the juice of one juicy lime.

That is for you. Other people like different things. Coke light is not my drink but I will not suggest to the OP what to drink either.

I don't think I will be able to sleep tonight, after reading this.

What a tragedyfacepalm.gif

I can't speak for John but I am diabetic, so diet soda is the go to alternative to a steady intake of water or fruit juice. If informed I can maybe buy a case or two, thanks for the information John.

No wonder there is a shortage of Lite or Zero when many bars and some restaurants are selling it for four times what they pay for it. Strangely ordinary Coke, which is the same price when bought at Makro etc, is often sold for half that price. It would be interesting to see how these bars fared when they marked up the beer the same way.

I hope that one of the reasons you are posting this matter of concern is to let everyone know that you are not party to this gouging.

Gouging! That's a good one. Charging more for soft drinks in a bar or restaurant is normal practice and is usually done because they expect to make a certain amount of profit per drink to cover overheads. Doubling the cost of a small bottle of coke still leaves too little profit for most places.

Most people drinking soft drinks are hardly knocking them back so that too is a factor. If an average customer goes into a bar and has four drinks, the guy drinking coke will probably only drink two. A night on the tiles is always going to a be a cheap one if your on the soft drinks so who really cares ........ I know the answer to that one, do you?

Ramrod, please be aware that diet Coke and Zero have no sugar but use aspartame artificial sweetener.

Aspartame is, by Far, the Most Dangerous Substance on the Market that is Added To Foods

• Research shows that aspartame worsens insulin sensitivity to a greater degree than sugar
  • Artificial sweeteners promote weight gain by tricking your body into thinking it will receive sugar (calories); when the sugar doesn’t arrive, carb cravings can result
  • Artificial sweeteners likely also cause weight gain by disrupting your intestinal microflora, thereby raising your risk of both obesity and diabetes

Research it. So many articles about it. Here's one to get started on:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/12/23/artificial-sweeteners-confuse-body.aspx

Personally, I avoid any restaurant that charges more for diet sodas than regular ones. The wholesale and retail prices are exactly the same, so I see no justification for the surcharge, but a fair number of places do this for some reason. Gonzo's Pun Pun is not want of them.

A can of diet coke certainly costs more than a small bottle of coke and it seems to me that most bars and restaurants sell small bottles of regular coke but small cans of diet coke because it only comes in cans. A can of diet coke costs about 5 baht more than a small bottle, I think. I never drink coke but either way it's cheap compared to most other drinks. Hardly worth black-balling a place for in my eyes.

I don't think I will be able to sleep tonight, after reading this.

What a tragedyfacepalm.gif

cheesy.gifcoffee1.gif

Ramrod, please be aware that diet Coke and Zero have no sugar but use aspartame artificial sweetener.

Aspartame is, by Far, the Most Dangerous Substance on the Market that is Added To Foods

• Research shows that aspartame worsens insulin sensitivity to a greater degree than sugar
  • Artificial sweeteners promote weight gain by tricking your body into thinking it will receive sugar (calories); when the sugar doesn’t arrive, carb cravings can result
  • Artificial sweeteners likely also cause weight gain by disrupting your intestinal microflora, thereby raising your risk of both obesity and diabetes

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/12/23/artificial-sweeteners-confuse-body.aspx

Research it on Google. You can find what ever you want to believe.wai.gif It has been approved by the US government after spending more time researching it than any thing else they have approved. The sugar industry started rumors and people just keep on believing them.

Now that we have that settled we can get down to the important things. Is there PepsiMax?wai.gif If not Coke zero is a close second.biggrin.png

http://occupytheory.org/aspartame-poisoning-hoax-debunked/

Aspartame Poisoning Hoax Debunked

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy

The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) commenced a re-evaluation of aspartame as part of the systematic re-evaluation of all food additives authorised in the EU prior to 20 January 2009. In May 2011, EFSA was asked by the European Commission to bring forward the full re-evaluation of the safety of aspartame (E 951), which was previously planned for completion by 2020.[56] In September 2011, the EFSA made all 600 datasets it is using in its full re-evaluation available publicly. This includes previously unpublished scientific data, "including the 112 original studies on aspartame which were submitted to support the request for authorisation of aspartame in Europe in the early 1980s."[57][58][59]On January 8, 2013, the EFSA released its draft report, which found that aspartame and its metabolites "pose no toxicity concern for consumers at current levels of exposure. The current Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI) is considered to be safe for the general population and consumer exposure to aspartame is below this ADI."[56][60]

Gouging! That's a good one. Charging more for soft drinks in a bar or restaurant is normal practice and is usually done because they expect to make a certain amount of profit per drink to cover overheads. Doubling the cost of a small bottle of coke still leaves too little profit for most places.

Most people drinking soft drinks are hardly knocking them back so that too is a factor. If an average customer goes into a bar and has four drinks, the guy drinking coke will probably only drink two. A night on the tiles is always going to a be a cheap one if your on the soft drinks so who really cares ........ I know the answer to that one, do you?

I do know the answer to that. In my case it is two fold. One, I also buy a bottle of SangSom.

Two, you are missing my point, so I will repeat it in some vague hope that you might read it and understand. That is a considerably lower price is charged for ordinary Coke than Zero or Lite. They all cost the same when purchased from suppliers. But if you are diabetic, or for some other reason, want to drink Zero the price is in some cases double that of ordinary Coke.

This is not the policy of all bars. Gecko for one does not try and gouge those that have to drink Zero.

If you read Ulysses G's post you will see his reaction to it. He talks with his feet and walks.

In Australia, and most likely other countries too, Coke has recently tried out a new product sweetened with Stevia , I have not tried it but will on my return no doubt ,but Stevia is one sweetener i like the taste of above all others including genuine sugar and has fewer health negatives than the other sweeteners i understand,. is a strange thing market resistance - hard to work out for a novice like me but if i was a regular Coke (or Pepsi) drinker it would be worthwhile Incidently it is called Coke Life and it has flopped .

I went into a Tesco Express last night and they had a special on the new Schweppes Lemon C+, normally its the same price as Manao Soda but they had it at 6 baht per can. Sounds like a great price and for some it would be, but it tastes terrible IMO. Maybe its not a big seller and they are trying to get rid of all stock?

In regards the posts about prices.... I agree with both points of view as to why it costs more in some restaurants and bars. I think one of the main points that annoys me in this regard, is where the price not only reflects actual costs to the establishment in getting the product to you the customer...but also includes a whopping large profit margin. Point in being, the GF and I went to a very well known restaurant on the Ping River last week. Big Leo was 120 baht which is quite normal price wise for the location, but as I didnt feel like booze I thought a mano soda would be great. When viewing the drinks list at a price of 60 baht per can, I decided perhaps its a good time to have a beer instead. To me thats just downright greed. When a can of soda retails in most places at around 15 baht, I fail to see how anyone could charge 60 baht.

Now Im no cheap charlie and understand how the catering and service business operates. As has been mentioned previously everyone can talk with their feet (ie walk out of the place and dont return). Well we had a satisfactory meal, although both our soups were cold (bowl was hot... I suspect microwave was used) but they did reheat the soup upon request. The pizza was ok, not great and a bit over seasoned ie salty. However it tasted better the next morning when cold!!! Will I be back? Not for a long time. Partially due to some of their pricing and also because the food wasnt that great and certainly not up to a standard befitting their prices.

Sorry I cant mention the establishment due to forum rules. But getting back to the OP..... hope coke light and diet coke return soon for those that need/enjoy it.

Next time I want a good feed at good prices.... I`ll go see John at the Pun Pun. Ive never been disappointed there and enjoy the jovial banter the hosts provide.

I just come back from Makro Pattaya, and bought the whole stock of Coke Zero, this gonna be a better investment than gold.

Aaaawwwww Anthony5.... I feel so bad for you..! ! ! ! I know the difficulty you must have had in transporting that amount of Coke Zero, and the reason I feel bad is........ Coke Zero in plentiful and in many locations ...... Its Coke Light that is out of stock and scarce.....

whistling.gifwhistling.giftongue.pngtongue.pngthumbsup.gif

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Every week I go shopping with a list of stuff I want to buy,

and every week there are at least 2/3 things that I cannot

buy because Makro,Big C ,RimPing are out of stock,certain

things you don't see for weeks even months at a time,but

you just have to go with the flow and accept it,this been

Thailand,not L A,London ect. and more often than not when

those items return to the shelves the price has gone up.

Good job we all don't post with the details of things we cannot

buy,because there is no stock,either look for an alternative

or just wait till the stock arrives.

regards worgeordie