OooooHHHH I Hope Not....

Gonzo the Face

I just come back from Makro Pattaya, and bought the whole stock of Coke Zero, this gonna be a better investment than gold.

Aaaawwwww Anthony5.... I feel so bad for you..! ! ! ! I know the difficulty you must have had in transporting that amount of Coke Zero, and the reason I feel bad is........ Coke Zero in plentiful and in many locations ...... Its Coke Light that is out of stock and scarce.....

whistling.gifwhistling.giftongue.pngtongue.pngthumbsup.gif

Just wait. I remember what happened in previous years, when members on this forum wanted to trade their educated HI-SO Chinese wifes for a bottle of Coke Zero

oddly that other sugar free drink taste is not at all bad 'est' .

Tesco had no Coke or Pepsi sugar free, but Est sugar free was 15 baht per 1 lt bottle.

PepsiMax 24 baht for a liter and wai.gif a half. Plus it tastes good.

Thank god I chosen Pepsi early on in life seems it's always in stock on shelves 555

You should have been here during the flood. I walk a lot so I passed a lot of small stores and would buy out any stock they had. Plus my brother in law scored big in Lampang and brought it all to me.wai.gif

Wasn't the last shortage because of the rain flooding and shutting down the factory?

No it was basically a matter of transportation. Many items were in short supply due to the lack of transportation.smile.png

I went into a Tesco Express last night and they had a special on the new Schweppes Lemon C+, normally its the same price as Manao Soda but they had it at 6 baht per can. Sounds like a great price and for some it would be, but it tastes terrible IMO. Maybe its not a big seller and they are trying to get rid of all stock?

In regards the posts about prices.... I agree with both points of view as to why it costs more in some restaurants and bars. I think one of the main points that annoys me in this regard, is where the price not only reflects actual costs to the establishment in getting the product to you the customer...but also includes a whopping large profit margin. Point in being, the GF and I went to a very well known restaurant on the Ping River last week. Big Leo was 120 baht which is quite normal price wise for the location, but as I didnt feel like booze I thought a mano soda would be great. When viewing the drinks list at a price of 60 baht per can, I decided perhaps its a good time to have a beer instead. To me thats just downright greed. When a can of soda retails in most places at around 15 baht, I fail to see how anyone could charge 60 baht.

Now Im no cheap charlie and understand how the catering and service business operates. As has been mentioned previously everyone can talk with their feet (ie walk out of the place and dont return). Well we had a satisfactory meal, although both our soups were cold (bowl was hot... I suspect microwave was used) but they did reheat the soup upon request. The pizza was ok, not great and a bit over seasoned ie salty. However it tasted better the next morning when cold!!! Will I be back? Not for a long time. Partially due to some of their pricing and also because the food wasnt that great and certainly not up to a standard befitting their prices.

Sorry I cant mention the establishment due to forum rules. But getting back to the OP..... hope coke light and diet coke return soon for those that need/enjoy it.

Next time I want a good feed at good prices.... I`ll go see John at the Pun Pun. Ive never been disappointed there and enjoy the jovial banter the hosts provide.

Just curious. Is there not a shelf life on the soda pop. Seems to me that one that is not ordered that often might have justification for charging more. 60 baht is to high. 40baht might be more reasonable. Sounds to me like you will be disappointed if you go to the Pun Pun and ask for coke light.

I went into a Tesco Express last night and they had a special on the new Schweppes Lemon C+, normally its the same price as Manao Soda but they had it at 6 baht per can. Sounds like a great price and for some it would be, but it tastes terrible IMO. Maybe its not a big seller and they are trying to get rid of all stock?

In regards the posts about prices.... I agree with both points of view as to why it costs more in some restaurants and bars. I think one of the main points that annoys me in this regard, is where the price not only reflects actual costs to the establishment in getting the product to you the customer...but also includes a whopping large profit margin. Point in being, the GF and I went to a very well known restaurant on the Ping River last week. Big Leo was 120 baht which is quite normal price wise for the location, but as I didnt feel like booze I thought a mano soda would be great. When viewing the drinks list at a price of 60 baht per can, I decided perhaps its a good time to have a beer instead. To me thats just downright greed. When a can of soda retails in most places at around 15 baht, I fail to see how anyone could charge 60 baht.

Now Im no cheap charlie and understand how the catering and service business operates. As has been mentioned previously everyone can talk with their feet (ie walk out of the place and dont return). Well we had a satisfactory meal, although both our soups were cold (bowl was hot... I suspect microwave was used) but they did reheat the soup upon request. The pizza was ok, not great and a bit over seasoned ie salty. However it tasted better the next morning when cold!!! Will I be back? Not for a long time. Partially due to some of their pricing and also because the food wasnt that great and certainly not up to a standard befitting their prices.

Sorry I cant mention the establishment due to forum rules. But getting back to the OP..... hope coke light and diet coke return soon for those that need/enjoy it.

Next time I want a good feed at good prices.... I`ll go see John at the Pun Pun. Ive never been disappointed there and enjoy the jovial banter the hosts provide.

Just curious. Is there not a shelf life on the soda pop. Seems to me that one that is not ordered that often might have justification for charging more. 60 baht is to high. 40baht might be more reasonable. Sounds to me like you will be disappointed if you go to the Pun Pun and ask for coke light.

Yes there is a shelf life on soda, however Lemon C+ is a very new product put out by Schweppes so I dont believe expiry date is a problem. I agree 60 baht is too high for a soda (No matter what there demand may be).

As I dont drink diet or lite/light drinks, the Pun Pun is fine for me. Plus the vintage Mekhong spirits behind the bar still tastes fine, maybe my taste buds arent as they once were? Not that Ive tried the new version of Mekhong in order to compare. Im sure John will track down his coke requirements from somewhere..... such are the requirements of running a business for so long.

oddly that other sugar free drink taste is not at all bad 'est' .

Tesco had no Coke or Pepsi sugar free, but Est sugar free was 15 baht per 1 lt bottle.

PepsiMax 24 baht for a liter and wai.gif a half. Plus it tastes good.

Thank god I chosen Pepsi early on in life seems it's always in stock on shelves 555

You should have been here during the flood. I walk a lot so I passed a lot of small stores and would buy out any stock they had. Plus my brother in law scored big in Lampang and brought it all to me.wai.gif

Wasn't the last shortage because of the rain flooding and shutting down the factory?

No it was basically a matter of transportation. Many items were in short supply due to the lack of transportation.smile.png

1, Pepsi Max is 1.45 lt bottles......... priced anywhere between 22.5 - 27 baht per bottle...... as for taste is what I drink for years, but very odd taste of late..

Most recent been a number of times to Big C in past 6 weeks, NO Pepsi Max, or for that matter Coke light/Zero at any of these times... last week Tesco had 3 bottles of Pepsi, NO Coke, I bought all the 21 bottles of Sugar Free 'est' they had + the 3 bottles of Pepsi.

2, understand there is a minimum that a shop can order [5 packs of 12] = if you can find in small shops then the shop owner mostly has bought these from supermarket/Makro themselves. Myself find Makro a very hit and miss on sugar free drinks.

3, believe the main problem was due to shortage of bottles... then after the floods the falling out of the Thai Company and Pepsi

Edited by ignis

Just curious. Is there not a shelf life on the soda pop.

The stamped shelf life is something like one year and it is still good for about 9 months after that and more. A tomato goes bad after a few days, so the almost two year shelf life does not seem like a legitimate reason to triple the retail price.

Just want to up this thread for a bit to get some more current update from shoppers in different parts of town.

Again just back from what was once a really good place to shop, until the change about a year ago...... of course I am meaning Makro on the Super....

Coke Zero is plentiful even by the pallet. Diet Coke/Coke lite , nada.. nada by the case that is..... but again same as last reported , plenty if you want to buy it by the six pack. Why is it plentiful by the 6 pak but not by the case of 24????? Is this some game by the not new and unimproved Makro to milk a few baht more by only selling only the small lots???? Others brands are all seemingly available in case or 6 pack lots, why only Diet Coke?

When you are shopping in different places around town check to see if this the case in other similar stores or not...... I like to hear from others on this.... The Makro management has really gone down a lot in this past year....... another example of " me-ism" vs "we-ism" ...... too many examples of good for the company but not for the customer...

GTF I`ll check out Makro in Mae Rim today. Ive found the one on Super Highway to have the biggest stock of beverages but their fresh fish area leaves something to be desired. You always smell the place way before you get there and it aint pleasant. I must admit I havent been there for a while and can only hope they have upgraded or improved that area.

GTF I`ll check out Makro in Mae Rim today. Ive found the one on Super Highway to have the biggest stock of beverages but their fresh fish area leaves something to be desired. You always smell the place way before you get there and it aint pleasant. I must admit I havent been there for a while and can only hope they have upgraded or improved that area.

Fresh fish ?, in Chiang Mai,

regards Worgeordie

Just want to up this thread for a bit to get some more current update from shoppers in different parts of town.

Again just back from what was once a really good place to shop, until the change about a year ago...... of course I am meaning Makro on the Super....

Coke Zero is plentiful even by the pallet. Diet Coke/Coke lite , nada.. nada by the case that is..... but again same as last reported , plenty if you want to buy it by the six pack. Why is it plentiful by the 6 pak but not by the case of 24????? Is this some game by the not new and unimproved Makro to milk a few baht more by only selling only the small lots???? Others brands are all seemingly available in case or 6 pack lots, why only Diet Coke?

When you are shopping in different places around town check to see if this the case in other similar stores or not...... I like to hear from others on this.... The Makro management has really gone down a lot in this past year....... another example of " me-ism" vs "we-ism" ...... too many examples of good for the company but not for the customer...

I've had the same problem with Tesco Lotus. I've ordered a case on-line and 4 six packs arrive along with the explanation of out of stock. Of course I'm charged at the rate of per pack rather than the per case price price.

Rimping are routinely out of stock. You'd think it was an imported product giving the difficulty they seem to have stocking it.

Gonzo,

Makro Mae Rim has stock of Coke Light. 325ml 24 pack is 274 baht which is 11.42 baht per can. If you want some let me know and I bring them into you tomorrow. Cant do today as the Super Rugby final kicks off in 5 minutes. Too many beers will be the result.....hic thumbsup.gif

Thanks for that CMKiwi, but not necessary for you to get..... I can get up to get some on my rounds...... but do stop by anyhow.

Whole thing looks sorta sus on the Makro Super location.... As I said I have been going to that location almost 20 years now, and the last year , since the new ownership and I am sure new manager in place, things have really gone into the crapper there.

It is extremely difficult getting your shopping buggy around due to all the pallets they have all over the aisles. On the big aisles where they have individual small islands, they have pallet completely blocking passing through. Now yesterday they were out with the floor hand dollys parking the pallets , not to one side or the other, but right in the center ,so you cannot get thru with the bigger flat buggy. Prices are continually being found with one price on the wall sticker by the product, and then another on your slip when you get it home. Strangely but always charging a higher price, not lower. There have been items stocked in a particular location for almost 20 years now, and all of a sudden the locations are being moved to completely different aisles, Standard items that have been carried for years and years are no longer reordered...... but those same items are still available in other stores, so they are not being discontinued..... Image..... they tried to make themselves look good by putting in a covered disabled parking slot..... then proceed to have the same vehicle their each time you get there..... Managers car maybe???..... then they used the 3 disabled assigned slots for the storage of buggies..... then they found they could get a quick baht or two and they rented it to a broom/mop sales operation..... to hell with disabled parking....... and try and get a manager to talk to you ????? 555555. No again I say they try and talk the talk but the management is way out of tune at that location..... I sincerely do think I will be trying other locations..... this one is too into the me-ism and not enough thought to the we-ism, which makes for a contented and repeat customer.

Edited by Gonzo the Face