26 suspected conmen from African nations rounded in Bangkok

Lite Beer

26 suspected conmen from African nations rounded in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Police from the Central Investigation Bureau have arrested 26 suspected conmen from African nations for having allegedly committed phishing scams and online love scams.

CIB Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Thitiraj Nongharn said the 26 have been rounded up in 40 parts in Bangkok. They were accused of hacking some companies' emails or deceiving Thai women to transfer them money.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/26-suspected-conmen-from-African-nations-rounded-i-30263202.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-26

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was in Saigon a couple of years ago when the Vietnamese government rounded up the lot of them and threw them out of the country. Drugs, prostitution, you name it, they were into it.

Some years ago on Samui, we had a dark-skinned gentleman (does that offend anyone?) stopping people on the street and trying the old "Nigerian scam". I'd never seen anyone handcuffed to the grabrail on a bike before that.

I was in Saigon a couple of years ago when the Vietnamese government rounded up the lot of them and threw them out of the country. Drugs, prostitution, you name it, they were into it.

and I am sure Thailand will do the same, after all the natives will not like the competition in the areas of prostitution and drugs, they have business interests to protect...wink.png

40 locations and 26 arrests must mean that these Africans were masters of escape and most of them first got away before being later arrested for the second time.

But if this is true and knowing the Thai way of counting, i am surprised it is not 52 arrests as they should take the credit for the action and not be concerned that it was the same African. Like the way they count tourists.

coffee1.gif

I wonder what is wrong with the Thai embassy staff in Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Ivory Coast etc. to provide guys from some of the poorest countries with business visas. Don't they know what kind of "business" these guys are running?

I met three guys from Sierra Leone on an ED visa. It must be a great advantage for them to be able to communicate with the huge Thai population in Freetown.

Bought a visa in Suvannaket a few weeks back. In front of me were 6 or 7 very friendly Filipino young ladies, all buying triple entry tourist visas. Tourism from the Philippines must be booming.

BTW Took quite a while, waiting g/f not at all happy about my new friends

These guys have been in this city as long as I can remember, selling charlie, so the big big boss must be Thai(perhaps a copper?) or a large amount of money is being paid under the table by the Nigerian kingpin, very simple

Edited by DaveinAsia

The Q is how these "dark skinned folks" enter Thailand and what visa they have to stay here ... ? Maybe CIB should investigate into that also so some Immigration-staff can be transferred .... whistling.gif

"Dark skinned folk"?

Is that the new phrase to express colour prejudice in polite company/appear funny to like minded "folk"?

Edited by Bluespunk

The Q is how these "dark skinned folks" enter Thailand and what visa they have to stay here ... ? Maybe CIB should investigate into that also so some Immigration-staff can be transferred .... whistling.gif

"Dark skinned folk"?

Is that the new phrase to express colour prejudice in polite company/appear funny to like minded "folk"?

I was the first to use "dark-skinned" in this thread, sure that it couldn't offend anybody, except perhaps you. Here is a link to at least 50 perjorative terms for "dark-skinned" people, and others. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs_by_ethnicity

Let us know which you prefer to "dark-skinned". Or should we go for IC3 and hope everybody watches The Bill?

"Dark skinned folk"?

I think you would have been happier had he added " Doodah, doodah, oh doo dah day"post-9891-0-55153900-1435391450_thumb.jp

I can remember when I first visited Thailand about 13 years ago.

No (or very few) Nigerians, Arabs, Indians, Chinese.......ahhhhh, those were the days!

You, your cool white pals and the rest were swarthy Asians. Oh for the past.

Maybe they should investigate how some of the "whitey's" manage to remain in Thailand long term as well as regards their visa's...thumbsup.gif

or bugger it, just increase the visa prices and financial requirements for every one ?

I can remember when I first visited Thailand about 13 years ago.

No (or very few) Nigerians, Arabs, Indians, Chinese.......ahhhhh, those were the days!

When I came here 14 years ago, seen plenty of the above mentioned, so you were blind, blind drunk or so engrossed in the hookers you never noticed...thumbsup.gif

"Dark skinned folk"?

That's what they are!

"Dark skinned folk"?

That's what they are!

I am confused now are we referring to Nigerians or the dark skinned folk of Isaan, such as the wives of many a TV member ?