More aggressive driving in Chang Mai

Asiantravel

I would be curious on feedback on this issue from full-time residents in Chiang Mai.

About every 8 to 10 weeks for the past 2 to 3 years I have travelled to Chiang Mai to spend about two weeks here as an alternative to living on the coast.

I am here in Chiang Mai now and the last time I was here was for two weeks during Songkran. I didn’t notice anything unusual then regarding driving styles but that was perhaps because many people had left the city during that holiday.

But in just in that 9 to 10 week period between Songkran and now I am noticing a decided change in driving styles. I don’t believe it’s my imagination. I am noticing far more speeding vehicles even along Huay Kaew Road and drivers seem more tense and impatient including the drivers of red songtheaws. What is the point of speeding along Huay Kaew Road where you can’t really go far before you encounter traffic lights? blink.png

Again just during the short two-month period I also see an increase in the number of vehicles on the roads. Maybe full-time residents wouldn’t notice it as much as someone like me who comes back at regular intervals.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Edited by Asiantravel

The only difference I've noticed is that there seems to be a lot more song teaws on the road. They also seem to cruise a lot, looking for customers, and even if you're walking in the totally opposite direction, they'll toot just in case you change your mind.

just yesterday i had one of those instances where an aggressive driver behind me in a brand new expensive sports car, was impatient that i was not u-turning fast enough for him (in the pouring rain with many cars coming at me in the direction i was turning). so he sped up around me and did the thing that Thais love to do - block me from turning so he could make the turn first and quicker - while giving me one of those looks like "too slow" as he blew by me. he screeched into the traffic and proceeded to hit an elderly woman who was driving her motorcycle, knocking her off the motorcycle and sending the motorcycle sliding along the asphalt about 15 meters down the road. everyone who saw the accident had the same look on their faces - like what an impatient idiot! fortunately the lady was wearing a good helmet as she did bang her head. but a couple of Burmese kids ran to help her and she seemed to mostly be complaining of elbow and backside pain. i think she was O.K. but probably felt not so good today.

i thought the guy was going to do a runner but he eventually pulled over about 25 meters up the road and got out. as i passed him by, i gave him that same look he gave me - what an idiot!

The only difference I've noticed is that there seems to be a lot more song teaws on the road. They also seem to cruise a lot, looking for customers, and even if you're walking in the totally opposite direction, they'll toot just in case you change your mind.

The worst is the motorbikes after midnight with aftermarket mufflers on them. They crank em wide open for 2 or 3 hundred metres here on Huay Kaew Road and then throttle down. As the air is now a bit cooler we like to leave our balcony doors open for fresh air at night and these guys are just insane. They are also getting more aggressive at cross walks on HKR speeding up when your crossing instead of slowing down. I guess the BIB are all home snuggled in their bed by this time.

The worst is the motorbikes after midnight with aftermarket mufflers on them. They crank em wide open for 2 or 3 hundred metres here on Huay Kaew Road and then throttle down. As the air is now a bit cooler we like to leave our balcony doors open for fresh air at night and these guys are just insane. They are also getting more aggressive at cross walks on HKR speeding up when your crossing instead of slowing down. I guess the BIB are all home snuggled in their bed by this time.

"They are also getting more aggressive at cross walks on HKR speeding up when your crossing instead of slowing down."

At any potential hazard for that matter. Isn't it daft?You would expect prudent drivers to react to potential hazard ahead by slowing down but these people go fastercrazy.gif

I am amazed that these guys can get away with the noise they make, night after night. Don't the police do anything at night?

I am amazed that these guys can get away with the noise they make, night after night. Don't the police do anything at night?

" Don't the police do anything at night?" some money changes hands perhaps ?

just yesterday i had one of those instances where an aggressive driver behind me in a brand new expensive sports car, was impatient that i was not u-turning fast enough for him (in the pouring rain with many cars coming at me in the direction i was turning). so he sped up around me and did the thing that Thais love to do - block me from turning so he could make the turn first and quicker - while giving me one of those looks like "too slow" as he blew by me. he screeched into the traffic and proceeded to hit an elderly woman who was driving her motorcycle, knocking her off the motorcycle and sending the motorcycle sliding along the asphalt about 15 meters down the road. everyone who saw the accident had the same look on their faces - like what an impatient idiot! fortunately the lady was wearing a good helmet as she did bang her head. but a couple of Burmese kids ran to help her and she seemed to mostly be complaining of elbow and backside pain. i think she was O.K. but probably felt not so good today.

i thought the guy was going to do a runner but he eventually pulled over about 25 meters up the road and got out. as i passed him by, i gave him that same look he gave me - what an idiot!

So does that surprise you? gigglem.gifgigglem.gifgigglem.gif

I am doubtful things have changed much. Four years back an acquaintance complained to me that there was no courtesy - he said he and his wife sometimes waited 20 minutes to cross the road downtown because no one gave way.

It has gotten worse; especially the last 2 years. I have lived here for 15 years.

Both the amount of traffic and drivers (bad) behaviour.

I really noticed it; after just coming back from a 2 weeks holiday.

It took me a couple of days to get used to it again.

The stupid thing is that the BiB normally set up a checkpoint further along HKR before you get to Canal road. At that time of night perhaps if they moved closer to town (Near Hillside 4 maybe), then they would get some serious tea money off these boy racers with their tin can mufflers/silencers. or maybe they should go the Singapore way.... have a gas axe (Oxy acetylene torch) on standby and when these hoons get caught, cut their bikes in half. Now that would be funny. Once they have cut their machines up then fine the rider for littering the city.....

Sorry Im getting carried away, I prefer Thailand and all its quirks over the highly regulated Singapore.

When I was living in the city I was so tempted to sit and wait on HKR road for these inconsiderate A`holes, armed with a catapult and buckshot. Luckily I saw sense and moved into the country..... sitting in a Thai jail as a result of my possible stupid reactions didnt appeal to me.

I agree with the OP, aggressive drivers seem to be on the increase. And that includes Thai drivers too. Had one clown in a tricked up boy racer Toyota yesterday in a very big hurry. Noisy as hell and I was surprised I didnt see him again further up the road, wrapped around a power pole. Very erratic driving and weaving in an out of traffic like school kids on scooters. IDIOT

After six years in CM, definitely more traffic along Lamphun Road. Better to use a car off-peak, or around CM use a scooter for trips in the city area.

My main complaint with Thai drivers is their indecision - they'll creep out into traffic and clog everything up when the situation calls for quick movement.

Traffic along the ring roads and out of town is generally still quite reasonable. A defensive driving mindset is mandatory once on the mountain roads.

After six years in CM, definitely more traffic along Lamphun Road. Better to use a car off-peak, or around CM use a scooter for trips in the city area.

My main complaint with Thai drivers is their indecision - they'll creep out into traffic and clog everything up when the situation calls for quick movement.

Traffic along the ring roads and out of town is generally still quite reasonable. A defensive driving mindset is mandatory once on the mountain roads.

I am certain that Thais are never told how to merge into the traffic properly. As you said, they creep into traffic or stick the front half of their vehicle into the lane until no other vehicle can pass. Then they will slowly creep into the lane, and after hitting the non existent minimal acceleration button wait until there is a 10 car build up behind them before blasting off like the Delorean in Back to the Future.

Dont get me started on round- a- bouts, they have never heard of the give way to the right law.

The police don't really do much during the day so why would they do anything at night ... except of course sleep!

Certainly not where I live north of C/Rai in the provinces, the scooters are racing up the main drag and no plod anywhere. I do wonder if an ATM robbery was taking place and alarm bells ringing how long before a cop car would show up.

This happens on my rare visits to Chiang Mai , walking up Thapae Road , one way traffic coming towards you and the Songtaews slow down and beep beep I mean ..really .

The stupid thing is that the BiB normally set up a checkpoint further along HKR before you get to Canal road. At that time of night perhaps if they moved closer to town (Near Hillside 4 maybe), then they would get some serious tea money off these boy racers with their tin can mufflers/silencers. or maybe they should go the Singapore way.... have a gas axe (Oxy acetylene torch) on standby and when these hoons get caught, cut their bikes in half. Now that would be funny. Once they have cut their machines up then fine the rider for littering the city.....

Sorry Im getting carried away, I prefer Thailand and all its quirks over the highly regulated Singapore.

When I was living in the city I was so tempted to sit and wait on HKR road for these inconsiderate A`holes, armed with a catapult and buckshot. Luckily I saw sense and moved into the country..... sitting in a Thai jail as a result of my possible stupid reactions didnt appeal to me.

I agree with the OP, aggressive drivers seem to be on the increase. And that includes Thai drivers too. Had one clown in a tricked up boy racer Toyota yesterday in a very big hurry. Noisy as hell and I was surprised I didnt see him again further up the road, wrapped around a power pole. Very erratic driving and weaving in an out of traffic like school kids on scooters. IDIOT

This type of rider was often referred to in my part of Oz, as 'temporary Australians'!!

I am certain that Thais are never told how to merge into the traffic properly. As you said, they creep into traffic or stick the front half of their vehicle into the lane until no other vehicle can pass. Then they will slowly creep into the lane, and after hitting the non existent minimal acceleration button wait until there is a 10 car build up behind them before blasting off like the Delorean in Back to the Future.

Dont get me started on round- a- bouts, they have never heard of the give way to the right law.

Nah mate: you've got it all wrong. You always give way to the biggest. facepalm.gif

There is a significant increase in the volume of traffic but been driving a 4-wheel vehicle here for 10 years and a honda dream for 16, and I only notice a difference in driving standards early evening when drunk men are heading home from a post-work drinking session or during holidays when Bangkok drivers swamp the city.

Edited by Loaded

I have been coming to CM for the last six winters for six months at a time.

No doubt in my mind that traffic has gotten considerably worse, in ALL the ways you might want to measure such a thing. Especially in the last two years.

CM is rapidly becoming Bangkok Lite (soon to be heavy).

Amazing and appalling to see helmet-less young guys zooming down HKR late at night, totally confident that nothing but nothing can possibly come between them and their destination.

I have kissed CM good-bye as a place to stay in the Western winter.

not making a excuse for aggressive driving,propaly not aware but do it myself at times.but the roads in cnx are getting clogged up and space is a premium to find, what with pedestrions walking on the road,and cyclist in the middle of the road, red cabs tuk tuks 4wheel giants, tour buses police checks and of course hordes of Chinese trying to cross the road,plus the worst of all motor bikes.so when one sees a gap,go for it.