More aggressive driving in Chang Mai

Asiantravel

After six years in CM, definitely more traffic along Lamphun Road. Better to use a car off-peak, or around CM use a scooter for trips in the city area.

My main complaint with Thai drivers is their indecision - they'll creep out into traffic and clog everything up when the situation calls for quick movement.

Traffic along the ring roads and out of town is generally still quite reasonable. A defensive driving mindset is mandatory once on the mountain roads.

I am certain that Thais are never told how to merge into the traffic properly. As you said, they creep into traffic or stick the front half of their vehicle into the lane until no other vehicle can pass. Then they will slowly creep into the lane, and after hitting the non existent minimal acceleration button wait until there is a 10 car build up behind them before blasting off like the Delorean in Back to the Future.

Dont get me started on round- a- bouts, they have never heard of the give way to the right law.

Nah mate: you've got it all wrong. You always give way to the biggest. facepalm.gif

Or most expensive!!!

Another aggravating local automotive phenomenon. Driver is parked, notices that a car is leaving the space in front of the car he is parked behind. Driver, usually without looking, or sizing up traffic, Slooowwwwllyy pulls out, then eases into the open space, gaining perhaps 7 meters.

We all know the sidewalks here present a lot of hazards, but why do groups of Chinese choose to ALWAYS walk in the road, traffic be damned?

And why do scooter rental shops rent to people who clearly have no idea how to operate a scooter?

just yesterday i had one of those instances where an aggressive driver behind me in a brand new expensive sports car, was impatient that i was not u-turning fast enough for him (in the pouring rain with many cars coming at me in the direction i was turning). so he sped up around me and did the thing that Thais love to do - block me from turning so he could make the turn first and quicker - while giving me one of those looks like "too slow" as he blew by me. he screeched into the traffic and proceeded to hit an elderly woman who was driving her motorcycle, knocking her off the motorcycle and sending the motorcycle sliding along the asphalt about 15 meters down the road. everyone who saw the accident had the same look on their faces - like what an impatient idiot! fortunately the lady was wearing a good helmet as she did bang her head. but a couple of Burmese kids ran to help her and she seemed to mostly be complaining of elbow and backside pain. i think she was O.K. but probably felt not so good today.

i thought the guy was going to do a runner but he eventually pulled over about 25 meters up the road and got out. as i passed him by, i gave him that same look he gave me - what an idiot!

But if he is Thai he will blame you for his accident.

Edited by laobali

Yes, it's getting worse.....more congested and more aggressive with the stupid aggressive having BKK plates for the most part......By now some have been here long emough to have gotten another car with CM plates.....But is has gotten worse.....Merging is always tricky here ------ But even in the states some states require you stop/clear/merge (usually icy or snow states) while other states want a smooth merge unhindered and will ticket you if you don't or give up your right of way......

Many more daredevils on motorbikes since the HP increases on the newer models gave more acceleration.....No more can you rely on the right lane as a semi sanctuary as cutting the lanes has become a new sport instead of bearing to the right.....

As an aside - it seems like for some reason alot of the dumbest drivers seem to always drive Chevrolets.....thought it was my imagination but the more I took notice the more it bore true....Maybe they take the less qualified to prop up sales.....

Edited by pgrahmm

it wouldn’t be perhaps be quite as bad if Thais could boast that they have extraordinary ability to react quickly - but they clearly don’t judging by the quite large number of people when i went for my Thai license who failed miserably at stopping within the permitted time at the driving test centre and were told to come back and try again. sad.png

And you can even see this in practice very often at how long it takes many of them to realise the lights have changed from red to green.blink.png

Yes, it's getting worse.....more congested and more aggressive with the stupid aggressive having BKK plates for the most part......By now some have been here long emough to have gotten another car with CM plates.....But is has gotten worse.....Merging is always tricky here ------ But even in the states some states require you stop/clear/merge (usually icy or snow states) while other states want a smooth merge unhindered and will ticket you if you don't or give up your right of way......

Many more daredevils on motorbikes since the HP increases on the newer models gave more acceleration.....No more can you rely on the right lane as a semi sanctuary as cutting the lanes has become a new sport instead of bearing to the right.....

As an aside - it seems like for some reason alot of the dumbest drivers seem to always drive Chevrolets.....thought it was my imagination but the more I took notice the more it bore true....Maybe they take the less qualified to prop up sales.....

Most aggressive of the cars , are those high and mighty Toyota Vigo's (usually black) . So if you you see a Vigo with Bangkok plates....get out of the way !

I used to get irritated at the slow merge into traffic, but as time has passed, I've realized that if a person did not slowly creep out, they would be waiting a long time for a satisfactory gap. With the proliferation of scooters, it's almost impossible to merge in at times like we would do in our home countries. Also, if there is a gap, some kid on a scooter will zip into it without any thought. So I've come to see it as a manageable means to merge in with the least amount of danger. Basically merge in until people have to stop. Seems dumb, but over here it works.

As far as CM goes, I believe the traffic has increased over the last two years. On the weekends it can be miserable on some roads. Just today the exit off the superhighway at Airport Plaza had a back up on the exit of about a kilometer. I went over the bridge and u-turned back just to avoid it. The city roads were not designed for this amount of traffic, or for parking. It will probably get worse, and drivers will most likely begin to feel frustration, which often results in poor decisions. TIT I'm afraid.

I used to get irritated at the slow merge into traffic, but as time has passed, I've realized that if a person did not slowly creep out, they would be waiting a long time for a satisfactory gap. With the proliferation of scooters, it's almost impossible to merge in at times like we would do in our home countries. Also, if there is a gap, some kid on a scooter will zip into it without any thought. So I've come to see it as a manageable means to merge in with the least amount of danger. Basically merge in until people have to stop. Seems dumb, but over here it works.

Yes, better to be safe than sorry especially with so many motorbikes weaving in/out of traffic.

Many farang get frustrated with Thai drivers because they bring their own sense of western entitlement and dont understand theyre driving in a developing country where laws are loosely enforced.

Despite the apparent chaos, Thai drivers are, by and large, are very civil to one another compared to drivers in US/UK/AUS. One rarely hears any prolonged honking--except by farang, and there is almost zero road rage.

Many farang get frustrated with Thai drivers because they bring their own sense of western entitlement

Hehe, ive seen that, tourist thought since he had right of way at a crossing its a good idea to cross with tunnel vision and not to bother with any common sense

His foot/ankle got smashed by a motorbike, sounded like he was in a hell of alot of pain

Yes, better to be safe than sorry especially with so many motorbikes weaving in/out of traffic.

Many farang get frustrated with Thai drivers because they bring their own sense of western entitlement and dont understand theyre driving in a developing country where laws are loosely enforced.

Despite the apparent chaos, Thai drivers are, by and large, are very civil to one another compared to drivers in US/UK/AUS. One rarely hears any prolonged honking--except by farang, and there is almost zero road rage.

" and there is almost zero road rage. "

huh ? blink.png Now that is a gross exaggeration and you know it!

THAILAND ROAD RAGE!! *WARNING:GRAPHIC VIOLENCE!!* (18+)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0bQqzIHP9M

from my observations over the years, the aggressive ones have some kind of a weapon in their vehicle for back up in case someone confronts them.

My honey forbids me to honk the horn at some imbecile driving dangerously. She just makes a hand sign to me indicating pistol.

Compared to other big cities around the world, Chiang Mai is remarkable in its lack of horn blowers. I suppose that is the reason.

How are bad drivers going to learn if no one points out the mistakes? Certainly not the police.

The only difference I've noticed is that there seems to be a lot more song teaws on the road. They also seem to cruise a lot, looking for customers, and even if you're walking in the totally opposite direction, they'll toot just in case you change your mind.

The worst is the motorbikes after midnight with aftermarket mufflers on them. They crank em wide open for 2 or 3 hundred metres here on Huay Kaew Road and then throttle down. As the air is now a bit cooler we like to leave our balcony doors open for fresh air at night and these guys are just insane. They are also getting more aggressive at cross walks on HKR speeding up when your crossing instead of slowing down. I guess the BIB are all home snuggled in their bed by this time.

I am amazed that these guys can get away with the noise they make, night after night. Don't the police do anything at night?

Don't the police do anything at night?

There is no police on duty in the evening...Therefore you can drive the way you want....with alcohol? No problem. With drugs? No problem. Speeding? No problem. Racing? No problem. Accidents? No problem. As usual. Every night!

I've lived here for 8 years and personally I don't see much difference in stupidity and aggressiveness of the drivers. Same-Same and not different. Hi-So's don't seem to give a tinker's damn about anyone on the road, and I agree, they're probably 'weaponed up'.

This video is exactly why I carry a knife and am prepared to use it. I may go down but I won't be alone.

I've been driving in Chiang Mai for over twenty years. I don't think the caliber of the driving is any worse now than ever; there are simply more people on the road.

20 years and not notice any change? I think you may be suffering from the frog in boiling water syndrome and not be aware of it.tongue.png

Another aggravating local automotive phenomenon. Driver is parked, notices that a car is leaving the space in front of the car he is parked behind. Driver, usually without looking, or sizing up traffic, Slooowwwwllyy pulls out, then eases into the open space, gaining perhaps 7 meters.

We all know the sidewalks here present a lot of hazards, but why do groups of Chinese choose to ALWAYS walk in the road, traffic be damned?

And why do scooter rental shops rent to people who clearly have no idea how to operate a scooter?

Two thumbs up. Beats the heck out of me. I love when they flock down the middle of Kampandin where they actually have a sidewalk. Why do they stand in the middle of Thapae Soi 3 looking like a clueless flock of lost penguins? Same answer. I don't have a clue. They just do. Lol

This video is exactly why I carry a knife and am prepared to use it. I may go down but I won't be alone.

Compassionate Buddhism at it's best. And that's why I legally have a Conceal Carry permit in the US. What option do you have here in the LOS: Die.

There is no police on duty in the evening...Therefore you can drive the way you want....with alcohol? No problem. With drugs? No problem. Speeding? No problem. Racing? No problem. Accidents? No problem. As usual. Every night!

And that's a reason to love Thailand ! No police & no camera's .

Then your values are not the same as mine.

No cameras! take your blinkers off, just about every major intersection in CM has one.. they look just like the one on the corner of Loa Kroh and Kotchasarn outside Ba Ba Bo Bo

Plenty of drivers getting speeding tickets/photos through the post also