Khreung Ma

stickylies

That is the context. I hear it often. The word khreung combined with ma.

It's not important and surely no priority, but I like to know what it means. When I ask my thai friends (they speak no English) they cannot explain, which is classic, they can't explain things like that. They will simply confirm any suggestive question from my part (does it mean this? answer: yes). ;-)

Exactly when do you hear this? In TV or when people speak? Or speak about what? Do they just say that 2 words? Surely they must be saying more than that... By context I mean in what situation do you hear them say that word??

I'm native Thai and I have no clue what they may be. Just 2 words, can be anything + you may spell them wrong or heard them slightly wrong.

It's impossible to tell what they are.

When I saw the title I'd rather hoped this was เครื่องหมา. A robot replacement for the neighbours' antisocial mutts would be nice.

Except it would probably be called หุ่นยนต์หมา.

As for the other problem, all you need is a Dog Dazer from Amazon.com .....

Except they wouldn't yell "ขึ้นมา" but "ลุกขึ้น".

If they did really yell "ขึ้นมา", then it's probably like RickBradford suggested.

Edited by Mole

If they did really yell "ขึ้นมา", then it's probably like RickBradford suggested.

I typed "เครื่องมา!" not "ขึ้นมา".

• 2 weeks later...

"เครื่อง" is classifiers of Airplane, Machine, Desk-phone, Laptop, Computer and so on.

We normally use "เครื่องมา" for such of above "Coming"

Hope this help

I reckon what is said is เพิ่งมา meaning 'just arrived'.

When learning a new language with different sounds, the brain tends to hear what it is familiar with, and will not recognise unknown sounds. It will recompute the sounds into known sounds. Hence maybe you have heard 'incorrectly'.

"เครื่อง" is classifiers of Airplane, Machine, Desk-phone, Laptop, Computer and so on.

We normally use "เครื่องมา" for such of above "Coming"

Hope this help

Since this is the second time I've been corrected by a native speaker, please let me explain my attempted joke. The op didn't give us context at first, so I wrote:

So here I was lying in this big grassy field. Just as I was about to doze off, a bunch of Thais started yelling "เครื่องมา!" I wonder what that could mean?

I was expecting to get a few chuckles, because I tried to make it sound like an airplane was about to land on me. From the op, I think that's one possible interpretation. If it's not, please correct me a third time. You know what they say about a joke that needs to be explained...

leosmith - If I understand you correct. "เครื่องมา" in situation that you waiting airplane ready or arrive .... and You taking nap while waiting your flight .... Thai people might kidding/warning to you by using

"Hey, (your name) เครื่องมาแล้ว --- "Hey Smith Krueng-ma-lawe" With this intention meaning to "The Airplane is ready at front of you .... !!!!"

This depend on situation you want to use

1. If someone want to kidding you .... "Hey Smith Krueng-ma-lawe' that guy poking to you and say that word then They might say "Hey I just kidding you(ล้อเล่น)"

2. if someone want to warning to you ... "Hey Smith Krueng-ma-lawe' that guy poking to you and They might say "Hurry up man, What do you waiting for ? "

Sorry if I misunderstand your intention.

Attapan

leosmith - If I understand you correct. "เครื่องมา" in situation that you waiting airplane ready or arrive .... and You taking nap while waiting your flight ....

Sorry if I misunderstand your intention.

Attapan

That's pretty close. I was trying to describe a situation where I was sleeping on a grassy runway.

Even in such scenario, one wouldn't have just said "เครื่องมา" but "เครื่องมาแล้ว".

I think the implication is that he was in danger of being run over by the aeroplane. At least, my wife's standard warning of oncoming traffic is "รถมา !"