Airport Parking Fee!

junglechef

Went to the CM International Airport and parked yesterday for just over 6 hrs and and it cost a whopping 700 TBH!

More then my round trip ticket for CM-BKK return!!

The parking lot was so full that it one had to push cars that blocked me in, it was hard to drive because cars parked on both sides of the outer lane that was for exit only and even cars were parked in the area where you u-turn to get to the next side. Guess the price follows the law of supply and demand.

I remember not many years ago, really just a few, when I could park there for a week for around that price.

Think the hourly fee went up 5x (20 THB to 100 THB if I remember both charges correctly)

For full disclosure my flights were on special Bangkok Airways Lucky tickets.

I guess the parking seem to not typical of living here as I've come to expect things here to be affordable

I just took my son for lunch in BKK and for him it cost me 500 BHT for the round trip ticket AND a gourmet buffet at a 5 star hotel incl transport to and from Suvarnabhumi and then 350 THB to park (1/2 of the total as there was two of us) in CM airport for a quarter of a day.

Ok, I guess even $25 is still pretty reasonable for all that, even for here, but when the shared parking expense is almost 50% of the cost of his trip it even made me make a Cheap Charlie post :)

Guess it's 25 BHT Boat Noodle Soup for me today!!

Isn't it free for the first 20 minutes and something like 20 baht for the next 20?

I thought the car par was intended for people seeing off or collecting people at the airport not for long stays. I agree it is a very busy place to park.

There is no free parking for cars at all. Motorbikes are free for as long as you like.

What is a Bangkok Airways "Lucky Ticket"?

Less than 700 baht CM-BKK return? Never heard of such a thing. Please enlighten me.

It appears that the carpark is being used quite a lot for long term parking and also for airport employees. Even when the airport itself is not busy, the carpark is always nearly full.

Don't know about under hour fee but agree that I don't think there's any free car parking. If true that's they nice have a reasonable a p/u drop off fee.

I just drive by the entrance slowly and let my guest jump in/out as I pass by.

Is there a place for long stay parking? I don't consider 6 hrs to be a huge amount of time to park. Most airports long stay is for at least overnight parking.

My Lucky tickets cost me 500 each for round trip, that's tax and fee of a regular priced ticket I believe.

One has to be lucky, in their words, and enlightened in yours, to posses one. :)

Not exactly sure how it works, it was some kind of promotional ticket.

I was at a Bangkok Airways sponsored event and and was given them. The envelope had my name on it and they walked right up to me when I entered, not even sure how they knew who I was, guess the falang name was a dead give-away (pls enjoy the Sunday morning pun :) )

I asked the rep why me and she said she didn't know. I quickly remembered not to ask questions here, especially when something is in one's favor, and I just koopkun crapped the pretty.

I chalked it up to the good cycling karma as it was at CM Bike Festival.

The best part was seeing the surprised face on my son who never flew before when we entered the airport. I told him I was taking him out for a surprise breakfast, never would he have imagined it was on a plane!

Seeing the world thru the eyes of a child was the best gift of the day biggrin.png

Always full.

The majority has to be employees, regular passenger deals and probably agreements with people working close by but still crazy.

Stopped long term parking a few years ago when it became cheaper to take a taxi.

But 700 for 6 hours seems excessive. 100 per hour?

Yes the Government is slowly catching up with even other countries by raising fees but this is not other countries as to cost of living nor Bangkok.

I live 40 min away so I do take a taxi when I'm going away for extended periods but it's a hassle for a day trip (and still more expensive then parking for me)

btw 700 divided by 6 does not equal 100 even in the Thai education system laugh.png

The last fee change was in July 2012 where it doubled from 100 to 200 baht/day and apparently there was outrage by Thai citizens. And before that it was 50B/day.

Group Petitions Governor Regarding Parking Fees

CityNews– On July 23rd at 11 a.m., Dr. Chomchaun Boonrahong, director of the Institute for Sustainable Community Agriculture, presented a petition to M.L. Panadda Dissakul, the governor of Chiang Mai expressing outrage over parking fees at Chiang Mai international Airport. 23 people signed the petition, among them faculty at both Chiang Mai University and Payap University along with members of The Office of Consumer Protection.

Chiangmaicitylife

First 8 minutes are free. Takes longer than that just to find a parking spot so might as well say there is no free rate. biggrin.png Don't know where this 700/6 hours comes from as it shows 200B for 6-24 hours.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

CNX

That looks like what I remember paying before yesterday but I definitely know I payed 700 bht for 6+ hours yesterday. It was posted on the side of the booth where you pay upon exiting.

(I do drive a 12 passenger van but I don't think it was a commercial rate)

First 8 minutes are free. Takes longer than that just to find a parking spot so might as well say there is no free rate. biggrin.png Don't know where this 700/6 hours comes from as it shows 200B for 6-24 hours.

CNX

That looks like what I remember paying before yesterday but I definitely know I payed 700 bht for 6+ hours yesterday. It was posted on the side of the booth where you pay upon exiting.

I see they have a higher rate for 6 wheel cars. What is a 6 wheel car?

I thought Tywais said "Do you have a six wheel car?" hence the troll remark, we kissed and made up in private but wanted to publicly state that I don't think he was trolling on this particular matter on this post at the moment he posted it, as for any other time I'd rather keep my thoughts to myself (for once) :)

Only joking, sorry Tywais

At the 2-3 hour mark in short term, you would be over the daily rate in long term, at airports with both. The short term is going to be much closer to the terminal. Some airports have private companies with long term satellite parking, but you have to take a mini-bus to the terminal. In Vegas, you can slip a valet 10 usd and park it for two weeks, then take their free shuttle. Many ways to skin a cat. I've never seen an airport that was easier to get to than CNX, many here like to do things the hard way; then complain about it. How was the fake orange juice and pumpkin chips in the BA lounge?

Edited by bangmai

There's loads of vacant ground along the perimeter fence towards the Tesco exit. They should just create more parking areas now and a shuttle in between to the terminal,simple fix.

Only a year or so ago, when going to Immigration, you could park in the existing parking area with ease.

I pick up a friend there a few days ago. Parked up for a few minutes, only 10 baht on departure. About a month ago we used the long term parking and it was 200 baht per day. Pretty cheap at that rate I think.

Yes motorcycles are free, but also no security. Last time I took a bike there, I had to pay for a puncture..... some A`hole had thrown nails all around the bike park area. Now I steer clear of the place. Car parking is ok in my opinion.

At 700 baht per day I think someone is taking the piss......

CNX

Why everybody that can count knows the answer....... the 4 wheels on the ground + the one in the trunk/boot + of course the steering WHEEL whistling.gif= 6 wheel car . You pay the higher price.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

700 baht for parking all day at the airport .... total $23.00

hmmmm .... try doing that at any other airport like Brisbane or Sydney and it would be a lot more than your $23 .....

quite cheap really ... coffee1.gif

Edited by steven100

hmmmm .... try doing that at any other airport like Brisbane or Sydney and it would be a lot more than your $23 .....

But we're not in Brisbane or Sydney, are we? coffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

I thought Tywais said "Do you have a six wheel car?" hence the troll remark, we kissed and made up in private but wanted to publicly state that I don't think he was trolling on this particular matter on this post at the moment he posted it, as for any other time I'd rather keep my thoughts to myself (for once) smile.png

Only joking, sorry Tywais

You mentioned cement truck. They have at least 10 wheels.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif It reminded me of a fellow who drove one back home when he got his drivers license they made him parallel park it. Did you ever find out why you had to pay 700 baht? Was it some sort of scam?

Perhaps being a van they thought you were some kind of business?

Yes they put up a sign on the parking attendants booth when they saw me driving towards them and then removed it until next time I come back.

Guess I'm just a sucker, wish I was Roger Daltry as he won't get fooled again dry.png

Yes they put up a sign on the parking attendants booth when they saw me driving towards them and then removed it until next time I come back.

Guess I'm just a sucker, wish I was Roger Daltry as he won't get fooled again dry.png

Who?

CNX

Why everybody that can count knows the answer....... the 4 wheels on the ground + the one in the trunk/boot + of course the steering WHEEL whistling.gif= 6 wheel car . You pay the higher price.

You remind me of an oldie.

"What has six wheels and flies?'

'The night carter's truck.'

Wow....that's a big increase.I left my car at CM Airport last month for 3 days and it only cost 600 baht in total. The attendant assured me it was a maximum of 200 baht a day. I might try parking in the Airport Plaza car park and getting a tuk tuk to the Airport next time if its now 700 baht a day

Make sure to ask for a receipt. By the way, did you run this post past Folkguitar? He seems to have the inside track on what is and isn't acceptable with regards to gripes regarding pricing and over charging.

I don't think it has been addressed, but jungle, are you certain that you were properly charged? Were you charged 100 baht per hour for the first five hours, and then 200 baht for the 6th hour? Interesting that the prices are increasing per hour as duration on the lot increases... Would you have been charged somehwere around 4,000 baht for being just shy of 24 hours?

But we're not in Brisbane or Sydney, are we? coffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

Many are wink.png

OMG! If it was 70 bht and not 700 bht I had a serious senior moment!!!!

I guess I just have two things to say

1. Sorrrrrry post-4641-1156693976.gif

2. Never mind goof.gif

Look for someone in the ticket booth with a big smile on their face thinking they got a THB500 tip from a happy customer! (-: