US/Thai Passport when is it recorded

I have a question about passport usage. My wife just got her Thai passport a couple of years ago. She is a US citizen. So based on what we read here, she has been using US passport to leave and enter US. Thai passport to enter and leave Thailand. Today she was on her return flight from the US to Thailand. Delta would not let her fly on her US passport since she did not have a Visa or return ticket. So they swiped her Thai passport, saying this only effects the Thai end. So she used her US passport for security and will later today on her departure from Atlanta. So my question is when is the departure recorded since you do not pass through passport control leaving only upon return. Will she have any problem on return using her US Passport? Thanks for your help, I am very concerned...

I cannot see a problem here as a Thai national she does not need a visa to return home.

Often when you book a ticket to an international destination the airline will ask you for your passport details.

This is in order to determine if you are allowed to go where you are going.

If you are American booking a ticket to Thailand its the airlines responsibility to make sure you have a valid visa otherwise they risk a huge fine. Whatever passport you plan to use on arrival is what you want to give the airline here.

If you have a return ticket of less than 30 days or paperwork to show you will leave Thailand after 30 days then they will not bother about swiping the other passport.

Nothing to worry about.

She leave the USA with her American passport and enters Thailand with her Thai one.

Very normal and many travellers do this every day.

Edited by Jay Sata

I cannot see a problem here as a Thai national she does not need a visa to return home.

Often when you book a ticket to an international destination the airline will ask you for your passport details.

This is in order to determine if you are allowed to go where you are going.

If you are American booking a ticket to Thailand its the airlines responsibility to make sure you have a valid visa otherwise they risk a huge fine. Whatever passport you plan to use on arrival is what you want to give the airline here.

If you have a return ticket of less than 30 days or paperwork to show you will leave Thailand after 30 days then they will not bother about swiping the other passport.

Nothing to worry about.

She leave the USA with her American passport and enters Thailand with her Thai one.

Very normal and many travellers do this every day.

They have never asked for her Thai passport before that was why it concerned me. Sounds like everything is OK... Just wondered how they know which passport you leave on? Since you do not go through passport control or is it just based on departing the US?