Two cops hit by drunk drivers in Bangkok on same night

webfact

Two Cops Hit by Drunk Drivers in BKK on Same Night
By Khaosod English

14355742691435574606l.jpg
The BMW that crashed into a police officer who was riding a motorcycle in Bangkok on 28 June 2015.

BANGKOK — Two policemen were injured by drunk drivers in two separate road accidents in Bangkok last night.

The first incident took place at around 11pm on New Phetburi Road, when traffic police asked a visibly intoxicated motorcyclist to stop at a checkpoint. Instead of braking, the motorcyclist reportedly accelerated and crashed into Adisak Doisap, a 40-year-old traffic police volunteer who had attempted to block the bike.

Adisak was treated for minor injuries at hospital and released last night.

The driver, Udon Buarapha, 27, was arrested and charged with driving under the influence after tests revealed that his blood alcohol content was above the legal limit.

The second incident took place within minutes of the first at an exit off of an expressway in Din Daeng district, police said. Pol.Lt. Sombat Phraethep, a traffic police officer, was reportedly patrolling the highway on his motorcycle when a car crashed into him from behind. His right leg and hip bone were fractured by the impact.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1435574269

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-06-29

"The driver, Udon Buarapha, 27, was arrested and charged with driving under the influence after tests revealed that his blood alcohol content was above the legal limit."

Interesting they managed to arrest and breathalise him but allowed Anna Reese to say she was not ready for arrest and go home.

Of course she was driving a Mercedes while he was riding a cheap motorbike.

"The driver, Udon Buarapha, 27, was arrested and charged with driving under the influence after tests revealed that his blood alcohol content was above the legal limit."

Interesting they managed to arrest and breathalise him but allowed Anna Reese to say she was not ready for arrest and go home.

Also less than 24 hours to attain the blood alcohol levels blink.png

Heavily tinted windows also present a major hazard to pedestrians and motorcyclists at night.

Thailand never has inquests where blame is apportioned and recomendations made to prevent future accidents.

Where have you been?

Over here, nobodies go to jail. Somebodies can get away with anything.

If you drive a nice car, the police have to think twice before stopping your vehicle, let alone booking it.

Kill someone if you're a somebody? "Talk to my lawyer before you arrest me. I need my beauty sleep."

So what did the police learn? Stop parking on the sides of highways. They should find a safe place to park. Police should NEVER stand in front of any vehicle they intend to stop for any reason. As we know in the US, if a cop is standing in front of a vehicle, 100% he has his weapon out and will shoot you if you move. These cops just walk in front of everyone with no regard.

Where have you been?

Over here, nobodies go to jail. Somebodies can get away with anything.

If you drive a nice car, the police have to think twice before stopping your vehicle, let alone booking it.

Kill someone if you're a somebody? "Talk to my lawyer before you arrest me. I need my beauty sleep."

Somebodies can get away with anything.

And somebodies end up in the morgue.

Pol.Lt. Sombat Phraethep, a traffic police officer, was reportedly patrolling the highway on his motorcycle when a car crashed into him from behind. His right leg and hip bone were fractured by the impact.

I hope that he has a swift and comfortable recovery from his injuries, and is able to return to work in some capacity as soon as possible.

I also hope that drink-driving regulations, vehicle-roadworthiness standards, and driving-skill standards will be regulated and enforced as a priority concern. Not only will this save lives, it will encourage foreign visitors and investment. It is a win-win deal.

So what did the police learn? Stop parking on the sides of highways. They should find a safe place to park. Police should NEVER stand in front of any vehicle they intend to stop for any reason. As we know in the US, if a cop is standing in front of a vehicle, 100% he has his weapon out and will shoot you if you move. These cops just walk in front of everyone with no regard.

Indeed sadly true. I can't remember the amount of times I saw some lonely somchai copper standing in the outside lane of the mitrapaap waving his fluorescent wand around . so incredibly dangerous.

Just photograph the cars and let them go if they don't stop.

Same old same old 1 law for the poor one law for the HiSO, wish i could put that idiot anna,the red bull boy,the 16yr tollway tart and the luois vutton monk and yingluck,chalerm and son,and all the other imbeciles here oh never mind

A year ago while travelling in from the Airport in an AOT Van a Motorcycle Police Man waved our Van down to the side of the road.

Reason: Apparently our AOT Van was not permitted to travel in the outside (right hand most) lane (thats the first I'd heard of this regulation).

What really annoyed me is that we were stopped on the hard shoulder (left most side of the Motorway) with lorries passing a regular driving speed (et 60-80 kmh), we were in an incredibly dangerous situation (Wife and Child also in the Van).

I was torn between getting out and getting annoyed at the BiB for pulling us over in such a dangerous location and simply letting the driver get out and accepting the 200b on the spot fine (bribe) - I chose the latter as I figured it would get handled more quickly without my involvement.

I was furious... I'm not sure what to do if the same situation were to ever occur again... I'd like to think I could persuade the Van / Taxi / Car driver to continue on to a safe stopping location i.e. pull off the expressway at the next exit and then handle the situation from a position of relative safety. Persuading the BiB that we had our and his safety in interest might be a different matter. It may also be difficult to persuade the driver to pull over in the first place.

My point here: There is such a lack of regard for personal safety in so many road situations (well any situation) that getting others to respond appropriately is extremely difficult.

-----

Two issues at hand with these to BiB getting hurt: Not stopping and adequately penalising Drunk Drivers to the degree that DUI is the social norm and Police Officers without safety awareness.

Of the numerous Thai's I know, I don't know any who haven't had a drunk driving related accident - I don't know any Westerners who have..... a highly disappointing observation, especially when reading and hearing about so many DUI related issues.

How many pedestrians get clipped by cars every day in Thailand? The drivers here have no regard for pedestrians and usually will go out of their way to try and hit you if you walk in front of them. I have had drivers that are stopped in traffic lurch forward as I walk in front of them. Makes my blood boil.

Then when they do kill someone, due to their own negligence out just pure road rage, they pour on the waterworks and beg (or demand) for forgiveness.

I wonder if these drunk drivers know the penalties if they are caught . these type of accidents happen all too frequently I don't know whether jail time would solve the problem but something needs to be done asap.

Dare I call it "Karma" ... ? These RTP made the bed, now lie in it ...

RTP has made the roads a kill-show with their incompetence and corruption - Honestly I wish more of them would get injured by traffic offenders ... they deserve it ...gigglem.gif

Dare I call it "Karma" ... ? These RTP made the bed, now lie in it ...

RTP has made the roads a kill-show with their incompetence and corruption - Honestly I wish more of them would get injured by traffic offenders ... they deserve it ...gigglem.gif

"Honestly I wish more of them would get injured by traffic offenders ... they deserve it ."

Your user name is most appropriate, I must say.

How many pedestrians get clipped by cars every day in Thailand? The drivers here have no regard for pedestrians and usually will go out of their way to try and hit you if you walk in front of them. I have had drivers that are stopped in traffic lurch forward as I walk in front of them. Makes my blood boil.

Then when they do kill someone, due to their own negligence out just pure road rage, they pour on the waterworks and beg (or demand) for forgiveness.

I very much doubt this, but I would agree many don't avoid the pedestrians instead expecting the pedestrian to avoid the car.

Some pedestrians have no regard for their own safety.

Twice today I've had to stop because pedestrians are walking down the road in front of me (when the pavement is clear).... I'm not sure what they were thinking.

I don't own the road, but I do feel that some motorcyclists and pedestrians place themselves in danger when ignoring their own proximity to moving traffic.

I'm happy to give way to people crossing the road, motorcyclists turning in front of me etc... but some pedestrians who wonder aimlessly on the road (sub Soi's), or those motorcyclists who ride head-on towards me overtaking on-coming queueing traffic and forcing me to stop for them as they haven't cleared the lane I'm driving in do make me feel a dash irritated.

I don't see this as a 'them vs us' issue as I'm often walking, crossing roads etc, I take the effort not to hold up the oncoming traffic, when crossing I walk across hurriedly and nod thanks rather than taking my merry old time... its simply about being respectful of others whether they are in a car and you are walking or you in a car and they walking - mutual consideration... a respectable balance is required.

Edited by richard_smith237