Mail Lost In Transit?

curtklay

Since April, I have had 5 international packages disappear in transit. 2 were from USA, 2 from UK, and 1 from China. All were first class mail without tracking numbers. I have never lost a package in over 5 years. 2 of the sellers replaced the orders, and sent them with tracking numbers which I received. This leads me to believe that someone in the Thai Post or Customs is pilfering packages that don't have tracking numbers. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing a similar problem.

If you have dealt with this before, I would appreciate knowing if anything can be done about it, such as filing a report. Who in the Thai Postal System would I contact to investigate? I'm pretty sure there's nothing I can do except pay premium shipping prices for tracking future orders. But I would sure like to rattle some cages. Any helpful information will be appreciated.

I suspect someone is stealing it, proving this will be very hard.

If you really want to find out who then I guess you could mail yourself some sort of tracking device which 'calls home' on a periodic basis, like once every 10 minutes or once an hour, etc.

It would need a long battery life and I doubt it will be cheap.

Get it sent Tracked, and where possible, send a dual language address label. I've found Thailand (xxxxx (Postcode)) gets it to the local post office at least.

If you REALLY want to receive the goods, spend a little more on the postal charges, i guess is my advice.....

I forgot to mention that it's worth checking with the local post office just in case they have it there.

Someone I know had a bunch of stuff sent to him (medication) and he thought it all went missing but it was sitting in the post office all along - for many weeks. I have a feeling that it could be to do with the foreign language address.

I had a parcel from the US go missing last year - same setup: no tracking number, only the number from the US Customs sticker.

I pursued it with ThaiPost and got nowhere. At first they said it had not been received from the US; the sender got proof from USPS that it had been sent on, and even supplied the date, time, and flight number of the aircraft that carried it. ThaiPost also said that the US Customs number was useless to them.

After much back and forth, they finally said that without a tracking number, they couldn't find it and would not launch an investigation.

Checked at my local post office several times after that, no joy.

I now ensure that any incoming parcel is sent first class registered.

Thanks for the input, gents. I live up north in Phrae. Everyone at my local post office knows me, where I live, and my address in English. I have checked several times to see if I had any undelivered packages sitting around, but the reply is always "no", including my delivery guy who says "if I have anything for you in the PO, I will bring it out right away". The suspicious part of that is, this guy took over the route right about the time this started. I hate to believe that after making the issue known to him, he would still have the balls to steal my mail, but I have learned that anything is possible here. I'm certain that someone between Bangkok and here is the culprit, but I can't point the finger without proof. I am going to discuss it with the local Postmaster, but unless someone is caught red handed, I'm resolved to paying ridiculous shipping costs that include tracking. All the merchants have either replaced the items or given me a refund, which is great, but still very frustrating and unfair to them if the items are being stolen within the Thai postal system.

Didn't The General say he has ended all the corruption in Thailand? clap2.gif

Thanks for that info, h90. It appears that I will have to go with track-able shipping for future orders if I want to receive them. That pisses me off when the shipping cost is more than merchandise.

I haven't had much luck with no tracking number. I went to the post office, but of course without a tracking number they couldn't help me. I've probably had 8 packages "lost" in the mail, and once when a duplicate package was mailed out after the first one was lost, that one never arrived either. I had one company inform me that even with tracking they lose packages in Thailand. Of course, any significant and you pay that huge import tax, calculated off the price (or whatever they feel the price should be), plus shipping. A pretty nice racket.

I used to have this problem, the last parcel I had sent was about two weeks overdue so I went to the local PO and started to complain. After being passed to several people I was eventually taken round the back to be shown the sorting area. The guy in charge was summoned and after a lot of discussion, he walked off to his desk opened the top draw and handed me my parcel.

It was an external hard disc and the person who sent it just stuck a label on the box so it was very clear what it was and I assume the guy at the PO wanted it. I demanded to see the Manager to report the guy but all I got was 'sorry' and smiles. They all know what went on and were not prepared top do anything about it.

It goes without saying I never use Thai Post now

That's a very telling story dp4868, and it doesn't surprise me. But after 5 years of always receiving my mail, I am surprised that suddenly everything is going MIA. I guess I started to believe all the BS about how honest and moral all Thai people are. In the past year, I've been short-changed twice by sweet smiling girls at 7/11, cheated and lied to numerous times, and now my mail is being blatantly stolen. The longer I live here, the more disillusioned I become. It's truly disappointing.

I too am waiting on a parcel from USA that was shipped US first class post on 29 May (departed LA facility on 1 June). Similar parcels from USA have arrived within 3 weeks or so. Going to the local PO today to make enquiries but not optimistic.

Thanks for that info, h90. It appears that I will have to go with track-able shipping for future orders if I want to receive them. That pisses me off when the shipping cost is more than merchandise.

If the package is coming from the US, the cheapest way to get a tracking number is to send the parcel First Class International, with the additional Registered Mail service. The Registered Service costs a little over $13 beyond the regular postage if memory serves me correctly. You get a trackable number with this service - one that Thai Post will chase if it becomes necessary.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! I am new here and I really don't know where to ask. I need help on what to do. My friend from USA is sending three laptops for my friends and I and he's charged with $120 from USPS. I would like to know if the customs will still charge me for the laptops? Thank you so much

Hello! I am new here and I really don't know where to ask. I need help on what to do. My friend from USA is sending three laptops for my friends and I and he's charged with $120 from USPS. I would like to know if the customs will still charge me for the laptops? Thank you so much

If the declared value is over 1000 baht, you will definitely get charged VAT/customs tax, 7% would be the minimum. They use the declared value plus the shipping cost. Declaring them as "gifts" will most likely not help any more. If they think the declared value is too low for the item, they will open the package and adjust the value as they see fit.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

Edited by curtklay

Never had problem, so far, when receiving parcels in Thailand...

Always use tracked parcels, more expensive but safer

That's a very telling story dp4868, and it doesn't surprise me. But after 5 years of always receiving my mail, I am surprised that suddenly everything is going MIA. I guess I started to believe all the BS about how honest and moral all Thai people are. In the past year, I've been short-changed twice by sweet smiling girls at 7/11, cheated and lied to numerous times, and now my mail is being blatantly stolen. The longer I live here, the more disillusioned I become. It's truly disappointing.

Edited by Fab5BKK

Dealt with it multiple times. Everytime even with tracking numbers, mail never arrived and mysteriously vanished.

The only mail that has gotten through to me was DHL. And even they left it at a neighbor's next door rather than getting my signature.

In Chiang Rai I have received dozens of parcels in mail and far as I know never missed anything. If too big for mailman on motorbike to deliver I sometimes have to go to post office to pick it up. Most of the time post office will call me to tell me if i have something so i make sure to tell sender to also put my phone number on the package.

Great service for me at least in CR.

I have kind of lost faith in the regular mail here, even registered. Didn't have a problem for years, but just a month ago, the post office guy came with a registered letter, didn't see me, and left a pink slip. I went the next day to pick it up at the regular place. They had lost it.

Subsequently, they tried to blame it on everyone, including me, going so far as to say that they couldn't deliver to my address. No answer when I pointed out that the name was in English, so no one else would normally sign for it (I saw the register, and there were no foreign names around). 3 weeks and 3 trips later, I got my document. No explanation, no apologies.....smiles and done. Just how stuff is done here.

Maybe go with EMS from now on? Don't know how that works for what you do.

Edit/P.S.--the letter I was awaiting was domestic, not even from abroad.....go figure.

Edited by dao16