TSA-approved Luggage Locks?

ywamer

I'll be flying to the US in a few days and need to buy a few of the TSA style luggage locks. HomePro sells them for 450 each, which is insanely expensive.

Anybody know where I can pick them up for a cheaper price?

If you don't need them immediately, they're 100-150 baht from Hong Kong (via eBay) with free shipping to LOS- just search 'TSA lock' on the eBay site. They'll come in a small envelope so you shouldn't get hit with customs tax.

Edit- oops, you said you need them in a few days- sorry, but I don't know a cheaper place locally.;)

Edited by flare

If it's a zip up case, don't even bother.

I padlocked mine and forgot all about the TSA crap, they left a nice note saying that they'd inspected it and yet it was all still sealed when I got it.

Just don't put anything valuable in your checked luggage. Simples.

I've even had TSA-approved locks cut by the TSA. They supposedly have keys for these numbered locks, but, in my case, one time they chose to cut the lock, rather than use their key. Everything arrived intact, however, with a note of explanation regarding random checking..

They've cut my locks before as well. Now I use plastic ties whenever I fly.

That's all I use these days too. I've only had them cut once. More often, I use these on overnight train or bus rides, connecting the zippers to the handle so no one can use the 'poke 'em open' trick.

Sometimes you have to- I've brought back a few expensive pool cues to LOS (which aren't allowed in international carry-on bags, though the domestic carriers let them on), and I was sweating it a bit hoping they'd make it (which they did). Ditto some pricey motorcycle gear- sometimes it can't be helped.;)

I bought Non-Tsa travel locks at Lotus-Tesco for about 100 Baht.

I would rather use the cheaper ones and keep a spare or two in case they get cut off. I like them better than the TSA lock for luggage while it's left in hotel rooms during trips. I figure the TSA keys are probably so easy to get that at anyone that wants one can buy it somewhere.

The electrical tie (zip tie) is also good idea.

I buy the cable ties /zip ties in the 20 baht shops and use those neon colours so if the are cut I will know because they are just that little bit harder to replace with the same colour . If anybody wants to get into your bags they will anyway. Like the old saying -Locks only keep honest people out.

Sometimes you have to- I've brought back a few expensive pool cues to LOS (which aren't allowed in international carry-on bags, though the domestic carriers let them on), and I was sweating it a bit hoping they'd make it (which they did). Ditto some pricey motorcycle gear- sometimes it can't be helped.;)

Not what most people would generally picture as 'valuables' :)

Not what most people would generally picture as 'valuables' :)
True, but a couple of those cues cost more than a high-end laptop- I perceived them as valuable- I would have missed the leather track suit and boots as well.;)

Come on- what baggage handler with larceny in his heart would pass up a shot at this ebony, cocobolo (six points), and amboyna burl beauty with fancy rings and a buckhorn joint? It's too bad you can't buy a great game to go with it, as I remain more-or-less a banger with some nice wood in my case...:)

image.jpg

Edited by flare

I have locks made in Switzerland. On a recent trip abroad TSA apparently had the master keys to these locks as when I opened the bags in Thailand, there was a nice card from the U.S. government sitting on top of my clothes and other stuff notifying me that they had searched my luggage.

Buy 'reasonable priced' baggage and buy some ziplocks (plastic ties). Ziplock/Tie-up every zipper and cut off the ends - two together where possible. If 'they' want in and have the time (eg. for your beautiful ebony pool cue) then nothing will stop them - so why waste money. And don't try to take the scissors onto the plane in your carry-on smile.png Take a photo of your bag/s with zip ties in place when checking-in the baggage. If the bag/s come out onto the baggage carousel in US without the ziplocks/ties in place, do not touch the bag/s. Call over the nearest official/security and show them the photo/s and say your luggage has been tampered with. You are being filmed/watched while you wait for your baggage and this (plus security report) will give you proof if you have baggage insurance (although money can never replace such a thing of beauty). PPS - this will also stop you being on the wrong end of someone else's plan that has gone wrong to bring in some 'stuff'.