Gay farang+Thai partner:UK tourist Visa application-advice needed please

I have read many threads on here and there's a lot of very useful information. Thank you to all you who post answers - very supportive indeed.

I haven't seen anything specifically referring to say a gay couple attempting to obtain a UK tourist visa for a male Thai national, supported and accompanied by a male farang (UK citizen and passport holder) both residing here in Chiang Mai, living together for over 4 years, but not married or having a formal UK 'civil partnership'.

We have completed the on-line app ok and have an appointment in BKK on 17th July with VFS - standard application.

Is there anything in particular we should take with us as regards documentation that might help my Thai partner Kim obtain his UK visa being in a gay relationship with myself?

This is his 1st visit abroad, apart from Laos, and this is my 1st attempt at trying to get him a UK visa, or anyone else, come to that!

I am having the following docs translated in to English by my Thai lawyer:

1. The title deeds which show Kim as the owner of the land and property we occupy in CM - recently transferred to him - and the accompanying certificate of transfer. It's a 3 bedroom house standing on 86.5 Sq Wai of land.

2. His house 'blue book' recording him as resident in the self same property.

3. Both our car 'blue books' - He has a 2 y/o Ford Fiesta S and I have a 4 y/o one.

4. 5 photographs of us together, including 2 showing a big banner behind us saying: "David and Kim welcome you to David's 70th Birthday Celebrations". (that was nearly 2 years ago).

I also intend copying and signing the pages of my passport that show I've lived here as a retiree since 2008, which show all the necessary Thai immigration stamps.

The title deed is also annotated with the details of my usufruct entitling me to residency in this property so I'm getting that bit translated too.

I have a letter of invitation to stay with my sister for the duration of the visit - hopefully for 3 weeks in August and as stated on the visa app.

Kim and I will obtain bank statements in English from the BKK bank confirming the balances in our accounts, as per our passbooks prior to the VFS appointment on 17th July.

Kim is also going to get a letter from his employer confirming his employment as a resort manager in Pai since April last year.

Is there anything else we/he needs to satisfy the officials that

a) he's funded and supported by me and B) he's going to come back with me?

A couple of other questions:

a) Can Kim obtain his visa picture taken and printed at Trendy Office before his appointment and

B) Can we get his passport and supporting docs returned to us by EMS, if we pay the requisite fee when we are at Trendy Office?

So many thanks for your help in this our first, worrisome attempt at getting Kim his UK tourist visa for about 3 weeks in August.

You seemed to have covered everything, the details of the visit, affordability and reasons to return.

Not sure why you mentioned the fact you're gay, that doesn't matter one iota and has no bearing on the application.

You can't say that he's coming back with you, you can give details of his ties to his home country, including your status here, which should indicate that on the balance of probabilities he will return.

There are a number of places near the Trendy building were you can get photos done, don't let any of them see the application though as sure as eggs are eggs they will find a problem with the application. I would be inclined to get photos done near your home, or even in the VFS office for 250 Baht. Yes they can return the passport and supporting documents by courier, for a small fee, I think it's about 250 Baht.

• Like 2

Just to add that from personal experience my partner has never had issues. First visa was 10 years ago when you had to apply at the Embassy, they couldn't have been nicer. One thing I remember is that we went armed with letters we had sent each other whilst I was away from Thailand, the lady in the consular section asked if he had any proof of communications, he took the letters out of his pack and the lady said OK without even looking at them.

Since then 2 more applications at VFS with no issues at all, he's confident enough now to do his own applications whilst I am away at work.

Enjoy your holiday in the UK

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the very useful answers.

We now have all the documents translated into English as I detailed in my initial query and all are stamped, dated and signed with the translators name and address (our lawyer's partner).

I have now added a letter of support with references to the 14 supporting documents as per the schedule of said documents, as was suggested by someone on here.

A final query: do we have to leave the original documents with VFS? We are taking my passport, the Title Deed, transfer certificate, house blue book, 2 car blue books.

I really don't want them keeping ANY of these! As stated be4: we have all these copied, translated into English and annotated with the schedule number which lists all the documents submitted. Surely this will suffice once the VFS person checks them off against the originals ?

You do not need to submit your passport as Thai law requires you to keep it on your person at all times (yes, I know most people don't!) so a self certified copy is sufficient.

Officially, all other supporting documents should be originals with a copy if you want the originals back; see Visitor; supporting documents guide.

VFS may advise Kim that the originals and/or certain documents are not required, but we have had reports here of people following that 'advice' and then being refused because said document is missing!

Up to you.