Six Blasts Rock Hat Yai

SMS

This will never work in the long term - ratting on your neighbours.

Even in the short term, Thais can't offer protection. Today you rat, tomorrow they'll burn your house down.

Weeds out the rats, though.

Short of genocide there's no "round them up" solution. They barricade whole villages when the army tries to move in and catch someone.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Short of genocide there's no "round them up" solution. They barricade whole villages when the army tries to move in and catch someone.

Yes indeed, Plus. You just reminded me of the time I was in the conflict zone in Chiapas, where none of the local indigenous communities trusted the government. Police of the federal attorney general tried to get into Los Chorros, where the paramilitaries had forbidden weapons, and the armed police were literally run out of town by little Mayan women throwing rocks, frying pans, etc., at them. And a few years before, the pacifist women just pushed the army out!

I wouldn't mention it, except it seems on topic: do southern Thais trust the police or army from Bangkok?

Never underestimate the power of community among beleaguered peoples.

Mr. Sutham urges units to tackling the violence in a serious manner

Former Deputy Minister of Interior Sutham Saengpratoom (สุธรรม แสงประทุม) has pointed out that the measures in tacking violence in the deep South are not yet integrated, while asking all sides to truly work together in solving the regional unrest.

Mr. Sutham said that chaos is expanding to other nearby southern provinces, while referring to the bomb blasts in Hat Yai (หาดใหญ่) District of Songkhla (สงขลา) Province. He said the blasts have affected to the whole image of Thailand. He said this is because the cooperation between the intelligence units and the officials are limited and not unified.

He said that no matter what agencies they are under, they should seriously work together in solving this problem, adding that such cooperation would be better than blaming each other. He said he would like the Thai people to be aware of this problem and convert their emotions into actions.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 18 September 2006

...Short of genocide there's no "round them up" solution. They barricade whole villages when the army tries to move in and catch someone.

Yes indeed, Plus. You just reminded me of the time I was in the conflict zone in Chiapas, where none of the local indigenous communities trusted the government. Police of the federal attorney general tried to get into Los Chorros, where the paramilitaries had forbidden weapons, and the armed police were literally run out of town by little Mayan women throwing rocks, frying pans, etc., at them. And a few years before, the pacifist women just pushed the army out!

I wouldn't mention it, except it seems on topic: do southern Thais trust the police or army from Bangkok?

Never underestimate the power of community among beleaguered peoples.

After the mosque and Tak Bai ... need you ask?

with people thought to be leaders of or know who the leaders of the seperatist movement just 'disappeared' ... need you ask? With no local representation at the Provincial level ... need you ask? With less home rule after the last 5+ years than before it .... need you ask?

I will be a 'hard row to hoe' getting the deep South back on track! I certainly hope that it becomes the real priority of the gov't!

Mr. Banharn advises govt to restore SBPAC

Chart Thai Party leader Banharn Silpa-Archa (บรรหาร ศิลปอาชา) advised the government to restore the Southern Border Provincial Administrative Center (SBPAC) to deal with the violence in the restive South.

He expressed his concern on the unrest situation in the restive south as the violence has already spread to Hat Yai (หาดใหญ่) District in Songkla (สงขลา) Province. Mr Banharn said that the violence still prevails because the government has not given complete authority to Army Chief Sonthi Boonyaratkalin (สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน) in dousing the southern flames.

Deputy leader of the Chart Thai Party Chuwit Kamolwisit (ชูวิทย์ กมลวิศิษฏ์) said that the current caretaker government is the cause of the escalation of the violence in the restive south. He also agrees with Mr. Banharn in the restoration of SBPAC.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 18 September 2006

Chart Thai Party leader Banharn Silpa-Archa (บรรหาร ศิลปอาชา) advised the government to restore the Southern Border Provincial Administrative Center (SBPAC) to deal with the violence in the restive South.

He expressed his concern on the unrest situation in the restive south as the violence has already spread to Hat Yai (หาดใหญ่) District in Songkla (สงขลา) Province. Mr Banharn said that the violence still prevails because the government has not given complete authority to Army Chief Sonthi Boonyaratkalin (สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน) in dousing the southern flames.

Deputy leader of the Chart Thai Party Chuwit Kamolwisit (ชูวิทย์ กมลวิศิษฏ์) said that the current caretaker government is the cause of the escalation of the violence in the restive south. He also agrees with Mr. Banharn in the restoration of SBPAC.

Hat Yai school mourns dead Canadian teacher

SONGKHLA: -- Fellow teachers and students at Phol Vidhya School in Hat Yai district mourned the death of an English teacher, Canadian national Jesse Lee Daniel, who was one of four victims killed in the Saturday night bombings.

Five bombs exploded in central Hat Yai, Thailand's southern commercial hub, Saturday night leaving four persons dead and some 80 others wounded. The bombings were condemned not only by the Thai authorities and people but also international organisations, including Amnesty International (AI), which viewed the incidents as violent acts against innocent civilians.

The large private provincial primary school opened as usual on Monday morning, but what was not usual was the one minute of silence for one of their teachers who died in the region's ongoing violence.

Some 6,000 teachers and students observed the minute of silence after the national flag hoisting ceremony to mourn the death of the 29 year-old teacher.

School deputy director Shane Suksawi said the teachers and students were afflicted with great sorrow over Mr. Daniel's death. The school will host his funeral and be responsible for all payments in relation to the ceremony.

The school is coordinating with the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok regarding funeral arrangements.

Other remaining foreign teachers at the Songkhla school understood that the bombers did not target foreigners in particular, but said they had more concern for the safety of their fellow Thai teachers.

All of them affirmed they would continue teaching at the school, the deputy director said.

David Simon, head of foreign teachers at Phol Vidhya School, said he was fearful about the incidents, still wants to teach in Thailand since, he said, he loves Thai people.

--TNA 2006-09-18

post-9005-1158586283_thumb.jpg

Passport copy of Canadian schoolteacher, Jesse Lee Daniel, 29, an English teacher at Hat Yai's Phol Vidhya School, one of the four dead from bomb blasts at a shopping area in Hat Yai city southern Thailand.

AFP

=============================================================

Thailand Says Bombings in Hat Yai Targeted Tourists

A series of bomb blasts in a southern city in Thailand on the weekend appear to have targeted tourists and are a threat to the country's leisure industry, the Tourism Authority of Thailand said.

"There's a concern that now they're targeting tourists or areas frequented by tourists,'' Chattan Kunjara Na Ayudhya, spokesman for the tourism body, said in a phone interview in Bangkok today. "That's a new development.''

Four people were killed and 79 injured in blasts that ripped through central Hat Yai in Songkhla province on Sept. 16 night, the tourism official said. One Canadian and three Thai nationals died, and 13 foreigners, including Malaysians, an American and a Singaporean were among the injured, he said.

Violence may be spilling over to Songkhla from neighboring Muslim-Majority provinces of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat, which border Malaysia and where more than 1,700 civilians and government officials have been killed since January 2004. The government blames most of the deaths on insurgents seeking an independent Islamic state. The area is governed under martial law with extraordinary powers granted to the military.

"People extrapolate what will happen next," said Kenneth Ng, chief executive officer of Bangkok-based NTAsset (Thailand) Co., which manages $13 million in Asian equities. "A bomb in Hat Yai today and where next? If a bomb did go off in Phuket it would be a disaster and it would hurt the economy.''

Tourism is one of Thailand's biggest industries. Overseas visitors are expected to spend 486.3 billion baht ($13 billion) in the kingdom this year. The tourism authority hopes to attract a record 13.8 million foreign visitors to Thailand this year.

In April 2005, two people were killed and about 60 injured in bombings at Hat Yai airport, a Carrefour hypermarket and a hotel in Songkhla, about 950 kilometers (590 miles) south of the capital Bangkok.

Last month, bomb blasts at 22 bank branches in Yala province killed at least one civilian and injured 30. The Aug. 31 blasts mainly targeted locals on a day when most Thais are paid.

About 90 percent of Thailand's 65 million population is Buddhist.

In the latest attack, "there were five blasts a few minutes apart,'' Chattan said. "They hit the Odeon department store, Big C department store and another store. Bombs went off also at the Lee Garden Plaza Hotel, a busy downtown hotel.''

Hat Yai is popular with tourists seeking destinations less crowded than nearby Phuket, Thailand's biggest resort island, and those traveling overland between Malaysia and Thailand.

Canadian teacher Jesse Lee Daniel was among those confirmed killed, Chattan said.

"Canada strongly condemns the senseless, brutal, coordinated violence in the south of Thailand,'' Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay said in a statement. "This terrorist attack regrettably claimed the lives of innocent civilians, including one Canadian.''

Canada will cooperate with Thailand "to counter the threat of terrorism'' and encourages the government to "continue to work toward a peaceful solution to terrorist violence in the south,'' MacKay said.

The blasts have already led to "total cancellations'' by tourists from Singapore and Malaysia to Hat Yai, Chattan said today.

"It's pretty chaotic at the moment, so it's a bit early to really assess the impact on tourism," Chattan said. "Tour operators and airlines need time to also assess and react.''

Hat Yai airport was closed for more than six months after the April 2005 bombings. Passenger numbers, which had risen 57 percent in the six months ended March, slumped after the attack.

Thailand's army deployed more troops to the martial law zone following last month's bank bombings in Yala province.

Critics of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who faces an election in November, have blamed him for escalating a century- old conflict by expanding military powers in the restive region last year.

The United Nations on July 18 said the emergency decree allows soldiers and police to "get away with murder,'' and called for parts of the law to be repealed.

- Bloomberg

since this is a seperatist movement and not a "Muslim" thing .... keep thinking and maybe study some of the history. Please leave the dramatic western mind/media drama at home :D

you seemed pretty informed so can you please tell me

1 what they are seperating from

2 how they want to do it

3 how they want to govern it

4 will it or wont it be a Islamic state with Islamic run schools and universities

I would be very interested to know :D

when i get answers from this i probably have a few more

I am real interested to know what drives a seperatist too

thanks

all the answers to those questions are avalable with fairly simple searching... give it a try.

If people are interested in these issues, expend the energy (it isn't much) to become well-informed or at least better-informed. Don't expect to be spoon fed information, go out and find out for yourself. It's more reliable that way, too.

this is NOT a crack at you, Blackjack... it's for all that post and it becomes very quickly obvious they know precious little about this issue. When it began, who's involved, people's motivations, group's ideals.... all of these things are necessary to know about to coherently express an opinion....

Thank you. :D

well my questions were all fairly tongue in cheek

However i got the answer i was expecting

and that is you dont know the answers and cannot quote your sources - however you posture like you are an authority

these are fairly easy questions to answer however you have evaded them like a true armchair politician

shame

lets go for question 2 3 4

:o

Most of people there do not even think of separating. It will never happen, they are just being realistic

2 how they want to do it

Those who want to separate do not have any specific plans. They haven't been to MBA schools where they teach you visions and goals and such. Indpendent Pattani is a dream, utopia.

Those who really want Independent Pattani are most likely to run it according to Sharia

4 will it or wont it be a Islamic state with Islamic run schools and universities

It most certainly will

The problem is, the separation idea is not very popular. Even die hard, exiled separatists gave up on this. Vast majority of locals do not have any political aspirations for their land, they just want to be left alone. They have serious issues with the way Thais have governed them for the past few years, but no real separatism yet. Terrorists, insurgents, separatist - whatever, get their sympathy, but they don't fully buy into their cause.

I'll ask this question again and hope someone could explain it somehow.

Who wants to separate from what and who are causing these problems/bombs?

The way I see it this is just a foreign terrorist playground. Yes they have gained some support from the local pop last years, and thats not a surprise. Even they kill locals, a few locals see it better option than relying on the bangkok gov. But this is talking about a very small local minority.

And no history lessons please. Thats what these terrorists play on and depend on to gain more support.

And yeah I forgot, to form/join what?

I would really like to know this.

Most of people there do not even think of separating. It will never happen, they are just being realistic

2 how they want to do it

Those who want to separate do not have any specific plans. They haven't been to MBA schools where they teach you visions and goals and such. Indpendent Pattani is a dream, utopia.

Those who really want Independent Pattani are most likely to run it according to Sharia

It most certainly will

The problem is, the separation idea is not very popular. Even die hard, exiled separatists gave up on this. Vast majority of locals do not have any political aspirations for their land, they just want to be left alone. They have serious issues with the way Thais have governed them for the past few years, but no real separatism yet. Terrorists, insurgents, separatist - whatever, get their sympathy, but they don't fully buy into their cause.

So who would be the people for Thai gov to negotiate with?

I'll ask this question again and hope someone could explain it somehow.

Who wants to separate from what and who are causing these problems/bombs?

The way I see it this is just a foreign terrorist playground. Yes they have gained some support from the local pop last years, and thats not a surprise. Even they kill locals, a few locals see it better option than relying on the bangkok gov. But this is talking about a very small local minority.

And no history lessons please. Thats what these terrorists play on and depend on to gain more support.

And yeah I forgot, to form/join what?

I would really like to know this.

You were answered in the past (thread about the Muslim development proposed in Bangkok). You claimed to know it all then

What I'm stating is that southern problems are caused by the world wide Jihadists, the time being right for that with all this anti westernism going on already.

Do you see many local people causing problems in S.Thailand? Who are they? Nobody knows really? Where does the money come from? All we know it's all international thing going on.

Malaysia financing to get some extra land? Come on. This is a great opportunity for the world wide terrorim to have a new front. And they use history as an excuse, guess thats the human nature.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=856366

If you are interested then READ ....

But this thread is about the bombs in HatYai :o

Edited by jdinasia

Just got back from Hat Yai this morning.

Was in Central minutes just before the explosion. When I got home my gf brother come back and told us there was a bomb just outside Odean and I told him to buff off, no bomb in Hat Yai, its safe city until he show me clips he took just outside Lee Garden.

I drove out to the city just after 11pm to see what is going on, all the roads around the city was cordon off, people standing on the street trying to get a closer glimpse of what just happen. My other friend from Malaysia was actually just about to walk to the pub across Odean for some drinks when the say smokes coming out after he heard the third explosion from Lee Garden Hotel.

Yesterday night driving around Hat Yai at 9pm or so was like driving around midnight, Carrefour was dead quite, no que in MK, there were more staff in Central Dept. than customers, the road between Central and Lee Garden was empty, most of the stall in Suntisuk market was not open. Last night Hat Yai just felt like a dead town.

I felt really sad to see what had just happen in this recovering city which had a bomb about 18months ago. Tourist were coming back, on Saturday night, there were many people on the street, more than a normal weekend I notice but I am sure after the incident last saturday, tourism in Hat Yai will be badly affected.

Coming back to Malaysia today, all the immigration, customs, and police were advising me not to go to Thailand for the next few months. I also understand there are more to come, which I pray it will not going to happen.

I think the gov really need to make some tough choice here to stop the violence in the south.

If one looks at how the PM has conducted himself over the past 2 years, it's not a high priority item for him. Afterall, they didn't vote for his TRT Party... so they aren't worth his time.

He believes Martial Law is the way to control things.

That and a constant stream of putting various people in charge... and when absolutely necessary to quell world-wide outrage, he established a commission to investigate what to do about the situation... whose recommendations are then promptly and completely ignored by him.

Edited by sriracha john

Thai PM seeks answers to Hat Yai bombings

NEW YORK, Sept 18 (TNA) - Thailand's caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, now in New York, has ordered the Thai authorities to provide answers regarding the Saturday bombings in Hat Yai district of the southern Thai province of Songkhla which killed four persons and injured more than 80 others.

Expressing great concern about the incident, the prime minister told the Thai journalists accompanying him on his visits to Finland, United Kingdom, Estonia, Congo, Equador, Moldovia, etc. etc. etc. Cuba, Mexico and the United States that he initially ordered the agencies concerned to examine why security forces were not available at such a busy place as the Odean Department Store, which is packed with huge numbers of tourists and shoppers.

He also wanted to identify the blind spots in security precautions for the city to determine why, despite advance intelligence warnings, security was breached.

Mr. Thaksin telephoned his secretary-general, Prommin Lertsuridej, ordering him to ensure that mall owners in vulnerable locations install closed circuit televison systems to assure security.

:o hmmm... yep... a simple camera will "assure security" for everyone.... :D

Businesses will be rewarded for their help if their CCTV surveillance provides information leading to the arrest persons committing crimes such as the 22 bombing incidents at Yala banks last month. Closed circuit television was helpful in leading to the arrest of several suspects, Mr. Thaksin said.

The prime minister also proposed that a website will be opened for the public to inform state agencies of information on suspect insurgent acts. Rewards will be offered for information leading to the arrest of suspects, he said.

After discussions with National Intelligence Agency Chief Pol. Gen. Chumpol Munmai, Mr. Thaksin said the Saturday bombings in Hat Yai stemmed from several causes, one of which was that the bombers

wanted to retaliate against the authorities progress in seeking out and arresting suspects allegedly involved in the insurgent bombings in the deep South, especially the Yala bank incidents last month.

The prime minister said he will join Tuesday's weekly cabinet meeting via an Internet link from New York.

He said he had stressed that the cabinet meeting must mainly focus on Hat Yai bombings as the major issue. That is unless something comes up in the interim that is more pressing... such as the increasing price of mangosteens in the local markets.

- MCOT

Edited by sriracha john

The American that is suing Thaksin has lost several rounds in his ongoing legal battles because they exceeded the statute of limitations.

Perhaps Thaksin is staying out of the country now in the hopes these same statutes will run out for him before he returns to the country... :o

and if that's not the case...

then certainly Thaksin isn't going to pass up the megalomaniac opportunity to partake in his favorite drug {appearing on the World Stage} at every absolutely possible opportunity (e.g. the ASEM meeting in Finland, the NAM meeting in Cuba, the UN meeting in America).... for something as puny in importance as the deaths of over 1,700 of his own citizens, the acute division splitting within his own country, or the unimaginable suffering of his own people.

Anyway... the latter is more likely.

Edited by sriracha john

Just got back from Hat Yai this morning.

Was in Central minutes just before the explosion. When I got home my gf brother come back and told us there was a bomb just outside Odean and I told him to buff off, no bomb in Hat Yai, its safe city until he show me clips he took just outside Lee Garden.

I drove out to the city just after 11pm to see what is going on, all the roads around the city was cordon off, people standing on the street trying to get a closer glimpse of what just happen. My other friend from Malaysia was actually just about to walk to the pub across Odean for some drinks when the say smokes coming out after he heard the third explosion from Lee Garden Hotel.

Yesterday night driving around Hat Yai at 9pm or so was like driving around midnight, Carrefour was dead quite, no que in MK, there were more staff in Central Dept. than customers, the road between Central and Lee Garden was empty, most of the stall in Suntisuk market was not open. Last night Hat Yai just felt like a dead town.

I felt really sad to see what had just happen in this recovering city which had a bomb about 18months ago. Tourist were coming back, on Saturday night, there were many people on the street, more than a normal weekend I notice but I am sure after the incident last saturday, tourism in Hat Yai will be badly affected.

Coming back to Malaysia today, all the immigration, customs, and police were advising me not to go to Thailand for the next few months. I also understand there are more to come, which I pray it will not going to happen.

I think the gov really need to make some tough choice here to stop the violence in the south.

Wow! you're so lucky. :o

Hat Yai is a commercial town for the south. I'd go to Songkhla where things are more laid back and quiet. But shopping and food are still the draw for Hat Yai. :D

This is dreadfully sad - real, moderate Muslims the world over are horrified by the way the fanatics have twisted the interpretations of the Holy Koran to "support" their greed and hate of anyone who does not think and act like them.

No right thinking person could consider them to be real Muslims, they are criminals - pure and simple - filled with hate and loathing of everything.

I lived and worked in the Middle East for a number of years, many of my friends are Muslims, I currently live in a predominantly Muslim area now with a mosque just down the road.

These are normal, happy people, living their lives and following their religion - as is their right.

I would like to think that, but sadly, it's not exactly the truth.

Moderate Muslims are a very large majority and they would want nothing to do with the crazy suicide-bombers etc. However, there is a certain "us vs. them" sentiment in the Muslim world, a certain intolerance towards others and that is not a minority. Rather, it's a minority of mulim intellectuals who preach tolerance and peace.

I think there is a majority who would say that they dont agree with bombings/killings but they understand where that's coming from. And that's where the whole problem starts.

The situation in Pattani is probably very different though, that seems not related to faith so much as to a weird and twisted "fight for independence" - money and power, most likely.

Muslims are also the only religion that wants to build "muslim states", that want to replace laws with religious laws etc. That's a fact.

There are many nutcase christian sects but they are not large enough to want to create their own states with their own laws...

This is dreadfully sad - real, moderate Muslims the world over are horrified by the way the fanatics have twisted the interpretations of the Holy Koran to "support" their greed and hate of anyone who does not think and act like them.

I'm fed up with this non sense : there is NO MODERATE ISLAM.

Only a few intellectuals are.

But consider the whole 1.3 billion muslims around the world. Look at what you see on TV, the image of pure violence everywhere, during mass rallies : Pakistan, Irak, Libanon, Palestine, Indonesia, Afghanistan, Iran, burning flags.

The same images all around the world, among different cultures, differents races. And only one common point : islam.

Are these people "moderate" ?

The day after 9/11, we saw images of muslims enjoying the news in the street of Karachi, Palestine.

And what about the massive support from the people during elections that "islamists" manage to gather ?

They are able to win election. They win election because they have support among the population : Palestine with Hamas, Algeria with the FIS. Egypt too ! And if you remove dictactureship from Saudi Arabia, and the whole middle east actually, islamist will win elections everywhere.

Because they have large support from the population.

So, are we, are you, are they still "moderate" ?

I can assure you that there are moderate Muslims. I'm married to one. A Malaysian.

Chock Dee my friend. :o

it has all been discussed Blackjack ... you can either look it up or not... :D i think instead you'll just keep to the bigoted / snide remarks :o

so

2 how they want to do it

It most certainly will

SO

is it now safe to say that they are Muslims with a mission or are they still seperatists in your books?

or has it all been said before

I am amazed at your logic! - do you play chess at all - if so you are close to be checkmated

[

I would like to think that, but sadly, it's not exactly the truth.

Moderate Muslims are a very large majority and they would want nothing to do with the crazy suicide-bombers etc. However, there is a certain "us vs. them" sentiment in the Muslim world, a certain intolerance towards others and that is not a minority. Rather, it's a minority of mulim intellectuals who preach tolerance and peace.

I think there is a majority who would say that they dont agree with bombings/killings but they understand where that's coming from. And that's where the whole problem starts.

The situation in Pattani is probably very different though, that seems not related to faith so much as to a weird and twisted "fight for independence" - money and power, most likely.

Muslims are also the only religion that wants to build "muslim states", that want to replace laws with religious laws etc. That's a fact.

There are many nutcase christian sects but they are not large enough to want to create their own states with their own laws...

Well said. I would like to add that the fanatically religious have enormous influence in American politics these days. More than most realize. The American constitution is not being respected and international conventions are ignored. The west is not without sin. There are serious amends that need to happen. But first, the murderous lunacy must be stopped. Maybe by media propaganda inside Muslim states. Force just incites and excites them, it seems.

So why isn't T on the next plane home? Is there some political explanation?

He has already stated quite clearly, he only helps those that vote for him.

As for the whole seperation issue, well the general consensus among the Muslims I know (mind, not from Pattani, but they do have family and friends down there) is that the whole thing is being orchestrated by outside influences and that local Muslims who don't support the seperatists get terrorized into either leaving the area or supporting them. Or get shot.

I don't know if this is true, just what I have been told by Muslims I know.

I'm seeing a demand for Israeli counter-terrorism consultants in the future for the LOS (heavy with snipers and cctv's: no, they aren't preventative in the present... but do allow backtracking to find out the bad guys' origin points).... that is, if they don't want go the reservation/camp method. Perhaps a combination of both?

:o

Edited by Heng

Aussies warned on Thai travel

September 19, 2006

AUSTRALIANS are being urged to reconsider holidays in Thailand, amid fears that violence in the south could spread to the rest of the country, including popular tourist areas.

One Australian was among dozens injured by a series of bombs that exploded in the southern city of Hat Yai on Saturday, claiming five lives.

The bombing is expected to take a serious toll on the area's tourist trade.

Hotel and tour operators are worried tourism will suffer from the attack after hundreds of foreigners fled the area following the bombings.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) has cautioned travellers that the violence in the south could spread to other parts of Thailand.

"The increase in violence in southern Thailand may result in attacks elsewhere in Thailand, including Bangkok and other tourist areas, such as Phuket and Pattaya," DFAT said on its website.

"Thai authorities have taken additional security measures in other parts of the country, including tourist centres and Bangkok."

Security also has been stepped up at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...18-1702,00.html

full story here