Had to pay to shop in Frienship

Oink

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't actually believe the guy went back for 20 baht in a crowded parking lot, parked, got out of his car and walked in all for 20 baht?

Why not? I would.

It's a matter of principle.

"It's a matter of principle. " = Loss of farang face.

You went back and complained over a 20B charge? your kidding me right? about $AU0.65, $US0.50 am i getting this right?

Words fail me......

It is not the value. I just don't like getting ripped off.

If you are happy about people getting one over on you. Then up to you!

you weren't ripped off. it is pretty normal all over the world you pay to park your car

You don't actually believe the guy went back for 20 baht in a crowded parking lot, parked, got out of his car and walked in all for 20 baht?

Why not? I would.

I disagree.

When I make a mistake I quickly admit it and learn from it whereas most Thais like to cover up their errors/dishonesty and carry on doing exactly the same thing as before, without learning anything at all. All under the blanket of "saving face".

I would pursue the 20B anywhere in the world, out of principle, but is has nothing whatsoever to do with saving face.

You went back and complained over a 20B charge? your kidding me right? about $AU0.65, $US0.50 am i getting this right?

Words fail me......

you weren't ripped off. it is pretty normal all over the world you pay to park your car

Where the T&C's on the ticket ?....if so not a rip off, and hardly a principle thing either, wouldn't it rather be called ignorance ?

Why not? I would.

I disagree.

When I make a mistake I quickly admit it and learn from it whereas most Thais like to cover up their errors/dishonesty and carry on doing exactly the same thing as before, without learning anything at all. All under the blanket of "saving face".

I would pursue the 20B anywhere in the world, out of principle, but is has nothing whatsoever to do with saving face.

Let's test that hypothesis. You are being penny wise and pound foolish. You're time is far too valuable to spend it trying to educate parking attendants or the people who set their rules.

I checked with 3 British efficiency experts I know and they all agree a change in behavior would profit you immensely both monetarily and emotionally.

I'd be willing to bet you are so emotionally scarred by some childhood indecent or other such thing that you are unwilling to change your behavior even in the face of rock solid logic?

Let's test that hypothesis. You are being penny wise and pound foolish. You're time is far too valuable to spend it trying to educate parking attendants or the people who set their rules.

I checked with 3 British efficiency experts I know and they all agree a change in behavior would profit you immensely both monetarily and emotionally.

Your experts apparently know little about my bank balance. I retired at age 50 and will never need to work again. So I have plenty of time to devote to matters of principle, and generally doing things that earn me nothing apart from the satisfaction of doing them.

Emotionally I am fine also, thanks.

I'd be willing to bet you are so emotionally scarred by some childhood indecent or other such thing that you are unwilling to change your behavior even in the face of rock solid logic?

Sadly my childhood was not at all indecent. And my logic is every bit as sound as my spelling.

Why not? I would.

I disagree.

You obviously lead a busy and fulfilling life.

Edited by Tolley

No different to any shopping mall in the West.

In Australia you have about 10 mins grace period after you paid the ticket,

IF you 1 min later, you get charged and nobody cares what the reasons are for being 1 min late.

Op should have parked back up and gone in and sorted it out.

Think they would have been ok about it.

Myself never take the car there , car park is way to small,

always use the bike, nearly everything you see in Friendship you can buy

at other places that have a dissent car park.

Maybe a few you cant, go on a bike and get them.

Who wants a day trip to friendship supermarket in a car, NO WAY bah.gif

Words fail me......

If only. You had plenty or words here mate.smile.png

I believe the OP was spending Thai money. 20B gets you a loaf of bread here.

Please please tell me where you can buy a loaf of bread in Pattaya for 20b ,what a bargain there will be lots of customers at that shop ,is the bread fresh?tongue.png

How long have you been in Pattaya? If you can't buy a loaf of bread in Pattaya for 20 B you'd have to be legally blind because it is available at every single shop which sells bread.

I disagree.

The problem with your "20 baht is not enough to get worked up over" assertion is where do you draw the line?

I feed a big family in the Philippines and 20 baht pays for nearly a kilogram of rice. I'd rather send it there than waste it on parking.

Edited by tropo

I was in that lot last Friday, market day. I went across the street for 30 minutes came back and read the sign at the entrance which clearly states in Thai and English that the first hour is free but must spend 300 baht. So I did exactly that before leaving and paid nothing. The first time I moved to Pattaya, I entered the lot during a mad rush and wasn't given a parking ticket. Little did I know that when leaving I was told to pay 300 baht. I asked for and the GM of the shop assured me that I was lying, as every one who enters the lot is giving a parking ticket. I swore to Jesusmand a CCTV would validate that the attendant never presented me with the ticket. It looked like he was going to be fired on the spot. The GM eventually believed me and allowed me to leave.

I learned quick and fast that when not on my motorcycle please take a ticket and do take advantage of there convenient secure lot on Market day. It's easy to spend 300 baht on there fairly priced merchandise. One of my favorite independent markets in all ofThailand. OP will never make that same mistake twice, live and learn here or in our own Country!

I disagree.

The problem with your "20 baht is not enough to get worked up over" assertion is where do you draw the line?

I feed a big family in the Philippines and 20 baht pays for nearly a kilogram of rice. I'd rather send it there than waste it on parking.

If the OP had read what was on the back of the ticket he wouldn't have had to waste his time with a futile complaint.

After all he actually went back into the supermarket to complain.

And I certainly wouldn't start a thread about it on thai visa.

A 20baht mistake at the cash register over an addition error I would query but that is a different circumstance.

Finally if you start worrying about everything little perceived injustice in Thailand I reckon you are not doing yourself any favours.

Life is too short.

So how much do you make an hour? Penny wise - pound foolish, says I.

USD$ 1,250 a day seven days a week, (tax free) but I still resent this.

Oink (OP)

Edited by Oink

USD$ 1,250 a day seven days a week, (tax free) but I still resent this.

Oink (OP)

I have people who take care of things like that. Parking lot people or supermarket managers are not in my pay bracket hence I see no reason to converse with them. wai2.gif

I really regret starting this thread. I was only trying to give info.

However, there appears to be retards that are compelled to piss all over everyone else ideals

I will not fight to the death over 20 Baht.

Closed

I don't see how my hourly income has anything to do with my comment above. I don't work here, so time is not a factor in determining the effort I would go to to retrieve 20 baht.

I don't suppose you ever considered that someone could be penny AND pound wise, did you?

BTW, I wouldn't have gone back inside in the OP's case, because clearly he was over time and didn't spend enough. Being penny wise doesn't mean being stupid LOL.

Edited by tropo

I don't see how my hourly income has anything to do with my comment above. I don't work here, so time is not a factor in determining the effort I would go to to retrieve 20 baht.

I don't suppose you ever considered that someone could be penny AND pound wise, did you?

BTW, I wouldn't have gone back inside in the OP's case, because clearly he was over time and didn't spend enough. Being penny wise doesn't mean being stupid LOL.

Sorry, I thought it was clear. If I work (anything that takes my time) for 30 minutes and the profit from that 30 minutes work is 20 baht then my hourly rate is 40 baht per hour.

Unless you consider arguing with a low level Thai parking lot thug recreation,

If I make a 1000 baht an hour then arguing with a parking lot attendant and the time to get in and out cost me 500 baht to make 20 baht.

Edited by lostoday

I really regret starting this thread. I was only trying to give info.

However, there appears to be retards that are compelled to piss all over everyone else ideals

I will not fight to the death over 20 Baht.

Closed

You weren't trying to give info at all.

You were complaining at perceived injustices.

In fact as it turned out you hadn't read the conditions for parking and you were wrong so there was no injustice at all.

On top of that you reckon you make 1250USD a day seven days a week.

Now how do you reckon that makes you look?

Very sad imho.

Please stop the fighting, the OP is relating an event that happened to him and passing it on as a heads up, I do not think anyone is complaining.

Sorry, I thought it was clear. If I work (anything that takes my time) for 30 minutes and the profit from that 30 minutes work is 20 baht then my hourly rate is 40 baht per hour.

Unless you consider arguing with a low level Thai parking lot thug recreation,

If I make a 1000 baht an hour then arguing with a parking lot attendant and the time to get in and out cost me 500 baht to make 20 baht.

You thought it was clear? The only thing that is clear is that you're not very good and making your point clear.

If you make 1000 baht an hour while you're shopping, how would having a talk to a parking lot attendant change your hourly rate? If, for example, the OP is a retired expat that spends too much time drinking beer or watching TV, then arguing with a parting attendant could very well be the highlight of his day.biggrin.png

It's something that was caused by Friendship "customers" in the past.

Loads of people were complaining about the fact that they could hardly park at Friendship, because the parking was full.

80% of the parked vehicles belonged to Soi Bhuakow market-visitors and that's why they "invented" this unpopular parking-fee.

Whether it's about THB 10, THB 20 or THB 100......a rule is a rule and a principle is a principle. I would complain as well even if it was about THB 10

Words fail me......

Come on man...thats hardly a rip off...just plain bad luck if 20B means so much to you, try $16 for 90 min downtown Melbourne 8 years ago...thats a rip off

Words fail me......

Come on man...thats hardly a rip off...just plain bad luck if 20B means so much to you, try $16 for 90 min downtown Melbourne 8 years ago...thats a rip off

For people living in Thailand, comparing prices with the most expensive country in the world is meaningless.

Everything in Australia is a rip off. Banks are the worst and world's most profitable.