From Visa On Arrival.. To Non-imm 'o'

Hello Everybody,

I have read various posts re: obtaining a Non Imm 'O' Visa ; and I would like one important point clarified. I arrived this morning in Bkk and have a 30 day VOA. Can I now (this week) apply at Soi Suan Plu for a non- imm 'O' visa OR marriage visa. I am 50, married ( to a Thai ) , have two kids, have the 400K in the bank, (I could double that in the near future if a retirement visa was more suited to me,) and bring in at least 1 Million Baht per annum. (via Visa card for school fees)

OR, do I have to apply from outside Thailand?

Cheers, and I hope that someone can clarify my question.

Off road

A week ago I would have said you need to obtain a real visa entry of some type but there have been several reports that this may not be true now so I would check with Immigration as they may be able to do directly. If not it should be easy to obtain a visa from a nearby Consulate. A non immigrant O visa with your marriage certificate, birth certificates, copy wife id card, copy wife home register should be available most places and even a tourist visa could be used. The 90 day entry would allow you 60 plus days to get everything in order if you want to go for the retirement type (which is preferred if you can do it).

A week ago I would have said you need to obtain a real visa entry of some type but there have been several reports that this may not be true now so I would check with Immigration as they may be able to do directly. If not it should be easy to obtain a visa from a nearby Consulate. A non immigrant O visa with your marriage certificate, birth certificates, copy wife id card, copy wife home register should be available most places and even a tourist visa could be used. The 90 day entry would allow you 60 plus days to get everything in order if you want to go for the retirement type (which is preferred if you can do it).

Thank you Lopburi3 for your hasty reply. Interesting! I have all the necessary documents here with me......just need to photocopy; and I will go to immigration on Tuesday morning. Just one more question: why do you say that the retirement visa is preferred?

I shall post again here after going to Immigration on Tuesday.

Cheers,

Off road

Hello! Again,

Just to inform you that one CAN change from a "Visa On Arrival" ( 30 day) to a Non Imm 'O'.

My trip to Soi Suan Plu this morning went as follows :

Arrived there about 9AM with all my documerts + photo copys. A brief check at the info counter on the ground floor...and was directed to Room 301 on the 3rd floor. Did not have to wait...and within a minute I was seated in front of an Immigration Official.

There is ONE very important document which I did not have. That is the letter...or copy of...which I had to get from MY embassy to show that I was single......Before I was married that is ! The lady said that if I did not have a copy in my files at home, then I could obtain one from the marriage office in Prakanong. She also gave me her mobile number should I have a problem in Prakanong.

In my files I have a certified copy of the above paper.....have called the lady at Immigration ...and have a meeting with her next Wednesday 27th. The wife also has to attend in person. She also requires a photo copy of my Visa card along wirh one ATM withdrawl slip.

This will get me a Non-Immigrant 'O'.....then go downstairs for the multi re entry stamp.

Yesterday I went to the Bkk Bank at Soi 8, Sukhumvit, to get the letter which states I have 400K there. The whole process took under 10 minutes...cost was 200 baht.

Will let you know the end result on the 27th.

Off road

Good show. Sorry did not get an answer to your above question (most have missed it in all the traffic). The retirement is a one step process (you apply and immediately get the one year extension), your wife would no be required in later visits, a check of your home would not be required. So it is easier for both you and them. But you can always change at a later date if you want to. But one thing to remember is that you can work on the support Thai wife but can not on retirement (although then again this may change as there is one report that a work permit was approved last week on a retirement extension).