How Will The Recent Visa Chages Affect

Loaded

Obviously some people will be affected directly and others may be affected indirectly. What do you think? I posted this here so that the the effect on CM can be discussed and how this will affect those of us who remain here.

Bar owners

The bars that cater mainly to the long-stay farang rather than the tourist will be affected; some may have to close.

Restaurants

There are some excellent farang food places in Chiang Mai now. Many are frequented by the visa-run population; if they go, will these restaurants be able to survive? Also, how many owners of these places are here on a 30-day stamp?

Farang bread, pies and cakes

Some great stuff in CM now. How many of these places are just home-kitchen businesses that don't have company registrations? If they close, I think a big loss to the community.

Schools/teachers

Many teachers are here on 30-day stamps. They will have to leave the country and come back with non-immBs which in turn will need to be used to obtain wps. How many won't/can't come back? How will this affect schools? In the long term will teachers have more security and better benefits because they will be in shorter supply?

Guest houses

Some, such as RCN, cater nearly exclusively to the long-stay farang. Will they close?

Housing/Condo developments

Do people really buy property in CM with only 30-day stamps?

Edited by Loaded

As seen from my butterhole the effect will be about zero. I run an Internet Cafe in the guesthouse area inside the moats - complete with workpermit and all that.

About 60% of my patrons are "standard" tourists, that stay in Chiang Mai a few days or a few weeks - no change.

About 20% are Thais - no change.

About 20% are foreign regulars of which about half typically stay 2-3 months joining massage courses, meditation courses and such. The more permanent foreign regulars look old enough to be on retirement visas, but there might be an exception or two.

As far as I can see the only effect for an internet cafe in the tourist district would be those 2-3 month stayers, that burn time/stamps in other parts of Thailand, before or after coming to Chiang Mai.

However, I'd imagine things could be different for bars, restaurents and such. Typically, getting their own internet connection is a first priority for those 30-day hoppers, that stay really longterm, so their business is gone regardless ... But if in town, they'd still go out and eat and drink after having settled in.

I think that it would be interesting to do a poll to see how many of us are 30-dayers. I wouldn't think that many of us would be as the most I meet have non-O or B visas. Then again, my world in Chiang Mai may be quite small.
Great idea, earl. I started to make a poll, but don't know how many categories we need. Just a yes or no, 30-day visa runs or not? Or several more categories, while we're at it?

Obviously some people will be affected directly and others may be affected indirectly. What do you think? I posted this here so that the the effect on CM can be discussed and how this will affect those of us who remain here.

Bar owners

The bars that cater mainly to the long-stay farang rather than the tourist will be affected; some may have to close.

Restaurants

There are some excellent farang food places in Chiang Mai now. Many are frequented by the visa-run population; if they go, will these restaurants be able to survive? Also, how many owners of these places are here on a 30-day stamp?

Farang bread, pies and cakes

Some great stuff in CM now. How many of these places are just home-kitchen businesses that don't have company registrations? If they close, I think a big loss to the community.

Schools/teachers

Many teachers are here on 30-day stamps. They will have to leave the country and come back with non-immBs which in turn will need to be used to obtain wps. How many won't/can't come back? How will this affect schools? In the long term will teachers have more security and better benefits because they will be in shorter supply?

Guest houses

Some, such as RCN, cater nearly exclusively to the long-stay farang. Will they close?

Housing/Condo developments

Do people really buy property in CM with only 30-day stamps?

Re: the last. I did although I think that they use to give a 90 day stamp on arrival back then.