Switzerland prepares to support Thailand's political development

webfact

Switzerland prepares to support Thailand's political development

BANGKOK, 1 July 2015 (NNT) - Swiss ambassador to Thailand Christine Schraner Burgener has made known during a meeting with Prime Minister Prayut Chan-Ocha that the European country supports Thailand’s reform process .

The premier thanked her for her role in strengthening Thai-Swiss bilateral relations for the past 6 years. He also thanked the country for hosting a photo exhibition of His Majesty the King’s stay in Lausanne on May 12 in a bid to celebrate the 80th anniversary of the royal family’s first official visit to Switzerland.

According to Mrs Schraner Burgener, as the ambassador to Thailand, she and her team have witnessed the political development in Thailand, and that Switzerland is prepared to support the ongoing reform process and assist in areas needed.

Relations between the two countries have been concentrated on trade and tourism. In 2011, Switzerland became Thailand's eleventh most important trading partner, making it the most important trading partner in the European bloc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't believe what I am reading above. According to Mrs. Schraner, the second-oldest democracy on this globe, is supporting the current "political-developments" by supporting an unelected "military-junta"? Outrageous !

Knowing very well, that the main goal of the current "government" is only to keep Thailand in the hands of the 50 "important families" that have controlled Thailand for the last 100 years. And all this, while the US and most other "western-countries" are absolutely not supporting the current "political- developments" taking place in Thailand.

If this is only a personal "exploit" from Mrs. Schraner, fine ! Otherwise, if this should represent the latest official orientation concerning Foreign Policy by Switzerland, then I could only ask: Quo Vadis, Switzerland ? All for a fistful of more Dollars (Baht)?

Cheers.

This shows that Switzerland knows, understand and support Thailand in her road to democracy.

I think you are reading way too much into the statement. It said "According to Mrs Schraner Burgener, as the ambassador to Thailand, she and her team have witnessed the political development in Thailand, and that Switzerland is prepared to support the ongoing reform process and assist in areas needed." "Prepared to support the ongoing political development" means "we are considering supporting the road map, if you follow it." And "assist in areas needed" is so vague it could mean anything, especially since Thailand rarely asks for help. This is an empty feel good statement altogether, and adroit diplomacy.

I seem to remember a few weeks ago an article was posted listing a group of countries that were the new friends of Thailand. It was a short list and comprised of countries that would certainly not be on anyone's "must visit list".

As for calling democracy a "tyranny of the majority" shows a certain scary view of politics in the 21st century. I presume the poster regards "tyranny of the minority" as a much better system. Now that worries me greatly.

I presume the poster regards "tyranny of the minority" as a much better system.

No, I mean the Thai habit of 'if you have a veto-proof majority in Parliament, you just ram through whatever you want; regardless what the minority feels'. The Yingluck Thaksin 'blanket' Amnesty Bill is an example. Don't be obtuse or try to mis-characterize what I wrote. If you're not sure of my meaning, you can respond directly to my post instead of talking about me to another poster. You're a little bit of a 'sneaky snake' aren't you?

You have a way of spinning things that shows you are a very devious person. You take half truths and push them as gospel. In a democracy a bad government can be exposed by the opposition, who then must come up with policies at the next election that win more votes. Idealistic, yes of course. There are many examples of what you state, South Africa and Zimbabwe are just 2, but in these countries violence was used on a scale that makes your red shirt enemies look like a troop of junior boy scouts.

If one party is able to gain such a landslide majority then it means the other parties must have had policies that only appealed to a minority of voters. Please, for Christ's sake, don't say that all the votes were bought. Such an accusation would only be fit from an extreme racist, which I'm sure you are not.

Back on topic, Switzerland kept good banking relations with all sides during both World Wars and has been the favourite banking provider for dictators, fraudsters, tax evaders and other criminals for well over 1 hundred years. Do you think a little problem such as a coup is going to stop them making money ?

Just as an aside, didn't the royal children spend most of WW2 living in Switzerland ? If that is true then maybe the good relations between the 2 countries has a more happy reason to be happening.

You have a way of spinning things that shows you are a very devious person

Thank you. Has anyone told you that you have a real knack for getting on people's good side. I like you better already for that opening statement.

Your arguments, on this and other topics, are a bit like Swiss cheese, tasty but full of holes. However I suspect you are actually a nice guy but with a really weird sense of humour. OK have fun, you certainly make me laugh.

Well, can you do it for me then???

Well, can you do it for me then??? Please, pretty please!!!

Sure, I can do it for you... but I won't.

Please, pretty please!!!

You seem a little needy. Don't you have any friends to bother?

So you say numerous governments are agreeing with what's going on in Thailand and when asked to name them you can't do it, reverting to insulting those who call you on it. You do realize that this makes you a troll (at best)??

As for me being insulting, who did I insult and what was the insult? You just called me a troll (at best).

Just because I don't like you enough to comply with with your request doesn't make me a troll. Sorry to be so direct but I had hoped you could take a hint. Which countries is not pertinent to this thread, anyway.

“Go, Ah say go away, boy, you bother me!” - Foghorn Leghorn http://www.searchquotes.com/quotation/Go,_I_say_go_away_boy,_you_bother_me/367929/

Calling you a troll is not an insult - it's stating a fact. You're making claims you cannot back up with facts and when being questioned about it you start huffing and puffing like a 5 year old.

So you only back up your claims when discussing with people you like and who like you? That must be a very short list.....coffee1.gif

"Which countries is not pertinent to this thread, anyway."

Then why did you bring it up in the first place??

This is a Junta-sourced media release.

Were other news agencies in the same room when the alleged support by the Swiss Ambassador was stated?

This also sounds very similar to previous vague and questionable Junta statements about other countries supporting the Junta.

Yes, I believe the Swiss ambassador stated some type of support or continued bi-lateral cooperation in certain areas, but the headline and lead-in sentence (written by the Government) suggest to me that Junta spinners worked overtime on this.

Well, can you do it for me then???

Well, can you do it for me then??? Please, pretty please!!!

Sure, I can do it for you... but I won't.

Please, pretty please!!!

You seem a little needy. Don't you have any friends to bother?

So you say numerous governments are agreeing with what's going on in Thailand and when asked to name them you can't do it, reverting to insulting those who call you on it. You do realize that this makes you a troll (at best)??

As for me being insulting, who did I insult and what was the insult? You just called me a troll (at best).

Just because I don't like you enough to comply with with your request doesn't make me a troll. Sorry to be so direct but I had hoped you could take a hint. Which countries is not pertinent to this thread, anyway.

“Go, Ah say go away, boy, you bother me!” - Foghorn Leghorn http://www.searchquotes.com/quotation/Go,_I_say_go_away_boy,_you_bother_me/367929/

Calling you a troll is not an insult - it's stating a fact. You're making claims you cannot back up with facts and when being questioned about it you start huffing and puffing like a 5 year old.

So you only back up your claims when discussing with people you like and who like you? That must be a very short list.....coffee1.gif

To illustrate that Switzerland is not alone in supporting reforms by the current government.

The reason I won't answer you is because you will never be satisfied with my answer and then you will demand proof that any countries I list are supportive, etc., etc..

Just because you want to become a pain in my neck doesn't mean I have to allow you. What part of NO don't you understand?

The reason I won't answer you is because you will never be satisfied with my answer and then you will demand proof that any countries I list are supportive, etc., etc

Wrong, the reason you won't answer the question is because the answer is "China and North Korea".

The reason I won't answer you is because you will never be satisfied with my answer and then you will demand proof that any countries I list are supportive, etc., etc

Wrong, the reason you won't answer the question is because the answer is "China and North Korea".

North Korea? Link, please.

BTW, I think it may be against forum rules to edit my post you are replying to (16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.).

In the future, please copy and paste into your reply the part of my post you want to respond to. Selective quotes, without the complete original post available for readers to refer to, can be misleading. Thank you, in advance, for your cooperation in this matter.

Edited by rametindallas

North Korea? Link, please.

Ha ha! You won't provide a list but you want me to prove my list!

http://www.prachatai.com/english/node/4658

BTW, I think it may be against forum rules to edit my post you are replying to (16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.).

In the future, please copy and paste into your reply the part of my post you want to respond to. Selective quotes, without the complete original post available for readers to refer to, can be misleading. Thank you, in advance, for your cooperation in this matter.

Avoiding the topic again? If mods had a problem with the way I snip quotes to make the thread more readable, they woukd have mentioned it at some point in the last 6 years.

Avoiding the topic again? If mods had a problem with the way I snip quotes to make the thread more readable, they woukd have mentioned it at some point in the last 6 years.

Maybe others don't care; I do. I haven't reported you but if it continues, I may. Thanks for your understanding.

Maybe others don't care; I do. I haven't reported you but if it continues, I may. Thanks for your understanding.

So, China and North Korea, possibly Switzerland, who else is on your list of Junta supporters?

So, China and North Korea, possibly Switzerland, who else is on your list of Junta supporters?

Myanmar maybe? :)

The National News Bureau of Thailand, a government organization, states that "Swiss ambassador to Thailand Christine Schraner Burgener has made known during a meeting with Prime Minister Prayut Chan-Ocha that the European country supports Thailand’s reform process ." and then states, without providing a direct quote, "According to Mrs Schraner Burgener, as the ambassador to Thailand, she and her team have witnessed the political development in Thailand, and that Switzerland is prepared to support the ongoing reform process and assist in areas needed."

So general statements, very little context, and no other information of note.

I'm a little skeptical, I'll wait and see if the Swiss Embassy provides a clarification to this.

Edited by heybruce

Enough material there for a conference (Fawlty Towers)but I doubt they would have you. Is there a problem with the meds?

The Swiss are not stupid. I know because I lived there for many years. They have witnessed Yingluck using them to promote herself and Thaksin. They know the Shins are self serving therefor they support Prayuth.

Edited by Nickymaster

Appears to me that as usual the headlines are trying and spin it to mean something it does not.

I cant be bothered even going into it, sick and tired of THE MINISTRY OF INFORMATION

Must be hard not having Chalerm around to tell you the truth.

Appears to me that as usual the headlines are trying and spin it to mean something it does not.

I cant be bothered even going into it, sick and tired of THE MINISTRY OF INFORMATION

Must be hard not having Chalerm around to tell you the truth.

Well that quip obviously went well over your head, slipped right by you didnt it ? gigglem.gif

To illustrate that Switzerland is not alone in supporting reforms by the current government.

The reason I won't answer you is because you will never be satisfied with my answer and then you will demand proof that any countries I list are supportive, etc., etc..

Just because you want to become a pain in my neck doesn't mean I have to allow you. What part of NO don't you understand?

But since you refuse to list these supporting countries you don't illustrate squat. That's why several posters have asked you to list these loving and supporting countries you dream about.

Sounds like this female Swiss ambassador is as gullible as the last US female ambassador to Thailand.

Perhaps they both know better than you how corrupt the last government was and how decent the current PM and his staff are. In any case, Ambassadors speak for their counties and not for themselves so really, you are saying that both the US and Switzerland governments are unaware of circumstances, past and present, in Thailand. I find that hard to believe. More likely is you're the one who is uninformed/misinformed/duped.

Did not hear one word from last US female about the massive corruption in the Yingluck government, even a blind man could see it, wonder why? Also strange to hear an European Ambassador supporting a military Junta who throws students in jail just because of they feel that their human rights been tramped on, all in the name of "Political development" sounds like some kind of political arse licking to secure some trade deals to me.

Edited by HiSoLowSoNoSo

Sounds like this female Swiss ambassador is as gullible as the last US female ambassador to Thailand.

Perhaps they both know better than you how corrupt the last government was and how decent the current PM and his staff are. In any case, Ambassadors speak for their counties and not for themselves so really, you are saying that both the US and Switzerland governments are unaware of circumstances, past and present, in Thailand. I find that hard to believe. More likely is you're the one who is uninformed/misinformed/duped.

Did not hear one word from last US female about the massive corruption in the Yingluck government, even a blind man could see it, wonder why? Also strange to hear an European Ambassador supporting a military Junta who throws students in jail just because of they feel that their human rights been tramped on, all in the name of "Political development" sounds like some kind of political arse licking to secure some trade deals to me.

To my thinking, pretty much all governments are corrupt and self-serving and will make a deal with the Devil to get an edge. Most governments, IMO, are secretly run from behind the scenes, not unlike Thaksin and his nominee parties, by powerful, secret cabals. The US government was overthrown by the CIA/Military Industrial Complex when they assassinated President John F. Kennedy in 1963. The proof is that the US has been in perpetual war, both declared and undeclared, ever since. The US is run by Generals and the CIA and took power with a coup. How does that make them different from Thailand? Thailand just isn't so opaque and this is a Thailand forum so I try to keep my comments about Thailand News.

Edited by rametindallas

The US is run by Generals and the CIA and took power with a coup. How does that make them different from Thailand?

Huh? Oh, I see the Ron Paul association. I hope you, and fellow weirdos, stay in the States -- and don't pollute Thailand.

This has got to upset the Thaksin Brigade who have been railing against the current government's attempts at reform as distractions keeping Thailand from democracy tyranny of the majority. More than a few governments around the world are pleased that Thailand is getting its house in order and understand that certain elements have to change before democracy can have a chance to grow.

Can you name these numerous countries?

I seem to remember a few weeks ago an article was posted listing a group of countries that were the new friends of Thailand. It was a short list and comprised of countries that would certainly not be on anyone's "must visit list".

As for calling democracy a "tyranny of the majority" shows a certain scary view of politics in the 21st century. I presume the poster regards "tyranny of the minority" as a much better system. Now that worries me greatly.

No, I mean the Thai habit of 'if you have a veto-proof majority in Parliament, you just ram through whatever you want; regardless what the minority feels'. The Yingluck Thaksin 'blanket' Amnesty Bill is an example. Don't be obtuse or try to mis-characterize what I wrote. If you're not sure of my meaning, you can respond directly to my post instead of talking about me to another poster. You're a little bit of a 'sneaky snake' aren't you?

The facts of the matter are otherwise, however. In response to street protests against the amnesty bill, the Yingluck government voluntarily withdrew the bill before it became law, the first such action in Thai history. Of course, that wasn't enough for Suthep's mob for whom the amnesty issue was just a pretext to stop democratic elections and bring down the legitimate government of Thailand to deliver it to the hands of the fascists.

So, the Yingluck government was not without regard for "what the minority feels" at all. Of course, that hardly matters at all to supporters of fascism like yourself.

To my thinking, pretty much all governments are corrupt and self-serving and will make a deal with the Devil to get an edge. Most governments, IMO, are secretly run from behind the scenes, not unlike Thaksin and his nominee parties, by powerful, secret cabals. The US government was overthrown by the CIA/Military Industrial Complex when they assassinated President John F. Kennedy in 1963. The proof is that the US has been in perpetual war, both declared and undeclared, ever since. The US is run by Generals and the CIA and took power with a coup. How does that make them different from Thailand? Thailand just isn't so opaque and this is a Thailand forum so I try to keep my comments about Thailand News.

This thread has now officially moved into tin foil hat territory!

The facts of the matter are otherwise, however. In response to street protests against the amnesty bill, the Yingluck government voluntarily withdrew the bill before it became law, the first such action in Thai history. Of course, that wasn't enough for Suthep's mob for whom the amnesty issue was just a pretext to stop democratic elections and bring down the legitimate government of Thailand to deliver it to the hands of the fascists.

So, the Yingluck government was not without regard for "what the minority feels" at all. Of course, that hardly matters at all to supporters of fascism like yourself.

Oh, please. I see you don't let your ignorance of how laws are passed in Thailand stop you from spreading Red Shirt propaganda.

Once the law passed it went to the Senate for confirmation after which, if confirmed, would go to HM. The Senate could also have voted it down and it would be killed. The Senate didn't do either of those things. The Senate sent the 'blanket' Amnesty Bill back to the House of Representatives unchanged, where, according to the Constitution, after lying dormant for six months, it would become law with 50% +1 of the vote in the lower house that was controlled by Yingluck's Thaksin's party. The bill was absolutely not dead when Yingluck Thaksin voluntarily withdrew the bill. Do try to keep up.

BTW, I don't think 'fascism' means what you think it means.