Made big mistake at DC consulate today. Don't end up like me.

In Finland they check your itinerary upon applying for the visa - if you don't have a reservation your application will be denied - upon check-in they'll want your itinerary - upon boarding you will get queried where is your next stop by the airline should you go without a package plan - if you have none they will either make you produce a ticket out of the country - buy one - or if you're adamant and demand the form - and sign it, they'll let you board - welcome to Finnair smile.png

Not sure about the Thai consulate in Finland (topic is is about Washington DC, USA), or Finnair.

I gave the official rules of IATA which has 256 airline members, and Finnair is one of them.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm

In Finland they check your itinerary upon applying for the visa - if you don't have a reservation your application will be denied - upon check-in they'll want your itinerary - upon boarding you will get queried where is your next stop by the airline should you go without a package plan - if you have none they will either make you produce a ticket out of the country - buy one - or if you're adamant and demand the form - and sign it, they'll let you board - welcome to Finnair smile.png

Not sure about the Thai consulate in Finland (topic is is about Washington DC, USA), or Finnair.

I gave the official rules of IATA which has 256 airline members, and Finnair is one of them.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm

Correct, but you were countering my comment about some airlines "going rogue" as to demanding the outbound tickets - whether or not you possess a valid visa or not, so I gave an example - I've experienced the same with Norwegian as well as Cathay Pacific - so it's not a wild occurrance - though everytime after doing what I promoted in my post - everything has gone smoothly, when you let the airline off the hook. So I don't know which of my points you were countering, actually?

Correct, but you were countering my comment about some airlines "going rogue" as to demanding the outbound tickets - whether or not you possess a valid visa or not, so I gave an example - I've experienced the same with Norwegian as well as Cathay Pacific - so it's not a wild occurrance - though everytime after doing what I promoted in my post - everything has gone smoothly, when you let the airline off the hook. So I don't know which of my points you were countering, actually?

It is not a "rogue airline" but just a case of untrained clerk at check-in. Just point him/her to the official regulations, or talk to a supervisor and you will be all set. The discharge form is not necessary but you can sign it anyway, because with or without it, with a visa you're complying with all Thai laws and regulations - no outbound ticket is necessary.

Edited by paz

It is not a "rogue airline" but just a case of untrained clerk at check-in. Just point him/her to the official regulations, or talk to a supervisor and you will be all set. The discharge form is not necessary but you can sign it anyway, because with or without it, with a visa you're complying with all Thai laws and regulations - no outbound ticket is necessary.

I quoted the "going rogue" on purpose - it's a common thing at least in Scandinavian region - not maybe where you fly from, but the anal approach is quite overwhelmingly familiar where I come from :) That said - how many sheeple, even with valid visas, do you reckon will defy what they're told by the airline while they're being denied of boarding? I'd say only the ones who know the regulations :)

BUT We're digressing too widely out of topic - you can keep the argument up with PM if you want ^^

That said - how many sheeple, even with valid visas, do you reckon will defy what they're told by the airline while they're being denied of boarding? I'd say only the ones who know the regulations smile.png

Honestly it is not something that is reported often - check yuorself in this forum if you want. With a visa no outgoing ticket is needed - a known and accepted fact.

That said - how many sheeple, even with valid visas, do you reckon will defy what they're told by the airline while they're being denied of boarding? I'd say only the ones who know the regulations smile.png

Honestly it is not something that is reported often - check yuorself in this forum if you want. With a visa no outgoing ticket is needed - a known and accepted fact.

Basic requirements by country to apply for a regular (60+30) Tourist Visa (visa type TR):

Sweden:

http://www.thaiembassy.se/en/visa/types-of-visa/36

6. Evidence of travel to Thailand such as a copy of e-ticket showing arrival and departure dates for Thailand.

If you wish to apply 2 or 3 entries, please note that you must show all flight tickets/e-ticket/or confirmed travel arrangement entering Thailand for every entry. We do not accept airlines staff card or stand by ticket.

Finland:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/helsinki/fi/services/1937/26869-Turistiviisumi.html

6. Lentolippu sekä Thaimaahan saapumisesta että poistumisesta 90 päivän aikana tai kokonaan maksettu pakettimatka. Asiakirjat voivat olla joko suomeksi tai englanniksi.
Jos haluatte anoa 2 tai 3 maahantuloa, toimittakaa Thaimaahan saapumis- ja poistumisliput jokaiselle maahantulolle joiden täytyy tapahtua 90 päivän sisään viisumin anomispäivästä.

Translation: Plane ticket both inbound and outbound to/from Thailand, within 90 days - or a fully paid package trip. Documents can be in either Finnish or English. Should you apply for 2 or 3 entries to the Kingdom, you must provide all arrival and departure tickets for each entry, and they are required to happen within 90 days from initial entry to apply.

Norway:

http://www.thaiembassy.no/wordpress/application-for-tourist-visa/

6. 1 Copy of return plane ticket.

Denmark:

http://thaiembassy.dk/easy-steps-to-apply-for-visa-to-thailand/

3. Copy of the round-trip tickets or reservation

PS. And the airlines uphold these embassy-given regulations to the tee - so you can only protest by my aforementioned method in-and-around Scandinavia.

PPS. Non-immigrant visa policy is whole another barking tree, and I can give you an update next week on that, as my wife will apply for non-imm based on dependency

PS. And the airlines uphold these embassy-given regulations to the tee - so you can only protest by my aforementioned method in-and-around Scandinavia.

No. The airlines follows IATA regulations not embassy's, about which they wouldn't even able to keep track.

Here again below another official airline website to produce travel documents requirements:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

No. The airlines follows IATA regulations not embassy's, about which they wouldn't even able to keep track.

Here again below another official airline website to produce travel documents requirements:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

You seem to miss the point - you either have to have the proof of exit prior (applying for visa) or after (boarding the plane) or sign the waiver - standard shit. nobody raises hell about this, as they will comply.

EDIT: I'll rephrase - you won't get a TR visa without proving exit of the kingdom.

RE-Edit: Nor will you get boarded without a visa without proving you're departing the country within exempt entry.

Edited by jabis

You seem to miss the point - you either have to have the proof of exit prior (applying for visa) or after (boarding the plane) or sign the waiver - standard shit. nobody raises hell about this, as they will comply.

I gave you the official airline regulations to board a flight (never discussed visa requirements with you) and the experience of tens of thousands of travelers daily - if it works differently in Finland i'm sorry for you.

I gave you the official airline regulations to board a flight (never discussed visa requirements with you) and the experience of tens of thousands of travelers daily - if it works differently in Finland i'm sorry for you.

I started from the regulations regarding carriers - and we went on and on, and I even showed you proof of the regulations that the local carriers comply with - as well as ICAO/IATA/FDA/AEA standards - and those in Nordic countries altogether - read my posts again, maybe you'll gather the point in hindsight. The visa requirements and complying with them come from state/republic/kingdom -owned carriers as a given here in the midst of polar bears and penguins -.-

PS. 45000 people daily going thru the pain of Helsinki-Vantaa, so meh - I think in LoS a bit more x)

I started from the regulations regarding carriers - and we went on and on, and I even showed you proof of the regulations that the local carriers comply with - as well as ICAO/IATA/FDA/AEA standards - and those in Nordic countries altogether - read my posts again, maybe you'll gather the point in hindsight. The visa requirements and complying with them come from state/republic/kingdom -owned carriers as a given here in the midst of polar bears and penguins -.-

PS. 45000 people daily going thru the pain of Helsinki-Vantaa, so meh - I think in LoS a bit more x)

You did not showed anything except Nordic Thai consulate regulations - which is not what I'm discussing.

Again here below links to the airlines regulations plus one ready to download example.

Anyone here can get the correct information that applies worldwide and that's what matters.

http://staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=280649

Edited by paz

You did not showed anything except Nordic Thai consulate regulations - which is not what I'm discussing.

Again here below links to the airlines regulations plus one ready to download example.

Anyone here can get the correct information that applies worldwide and that's what matters.

http://staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=280649

"Even with a proper visa some airlines insist on you having an outbound ticket and can deny you from boarding - if you don't demand the waiver paper for letting the airline go off the hook, should you be denied entry to the country. Otherwise the airline is responsible to haul your ass off of the country with their own cost."

- My first post in the thread - which you contested - still valid, before check-in or after. As I think by worldwide you don't mean to exclude Northern Europe? :)

The rules were given by Paz. An airline that deny you boarding becasue you do not have proof of onward travel while you are holding a valid visa is in the wrong and do not have the right to deny you boarding. Doing so would make them liable for damages you incur as a result of them denying you boarding.

• Like 1

whistling.gif It is standard in many Thai consulates or embassies.

You apply for (fill out an application) and submit it with your fee.

If you are rejected for the visa your fee is NOT returned.

Many web sites stet this somewhere on their site now.

Has been common for at least 3 years now.

Even Penang for tourist visa....you hand them a filled in form and then pay the fee, and if they stamp it paid they will usually give you the visa.

But if they reject you for the visa, the fee is not refunded.

You are paying the fee for the 'service" not the visa.

Even Penang for tourist visa....you hand them a filled in form and then pay the fee, and if they stamp it paid they will usually give you the visa.

But if they reject you for the visa, the fee is not refunded.

You are paying the fee for the 'service" not the visa.

Please point us to any report, from Penang or other place where visa denied and fee kept.

• Like 1

what about people travelling from the UK, what are the rules? I was never asked to show any flight tickets when applying for my thai tourist visa? What is a waiver paper im a little confused here? . Im travelling with thai airways, has anybody here ever travelled on a one way ticket to Thailand and had issues?

what about people travelling from the UK, what are the rules? I was never asked to show any flight tickets when applying for my thai tourist visa? What is a waiver paper im a little confused here? . Im travelling with thai airways, has anybody here ever travelled on a one way ticket to Thailand and had issues?

As mentioned before, if you have a visa you don't need an outbound ticket. No waiver paper is needed or requested. Thai consulates in UK do not require a ticket either.

UPDATE: I went back down to the DC consulate on Friday and the guy at the window said my letter and itinerary confused the visa officer. They didn't give me a visa. BUT.. they did give me back my money order. The guy at the window was very nice and explained I need to have tickets for each trip in and out of the country. Also, a 3 entry visa is very rare from the DC consulate.

Anyone who reads this, avoid the DC consulate unless you just need a single entry visa and plan to only stay for less than 90 days.

• Like 2

UPDATE: I went back down to the DC consulate on Friday and the guy at the window said my letter and itinerary confused the visa officer. They didn't give me a visa. BUT.. they did give me back my money order. The guy at the window was very nice and explained I need to have tickets for each trip in and out of the country. Also, a 3 entry visa is very rare from the DC consulate.

Anyone who reads this, avoid the DC consulate unless you just need a single entry visa and plan to only stay for less than 90 days.

Wow I can't believe all the ridiculous hoops that they're making Westerners in the US jump through. Half way around the world in Oz you don't need any tickets (inbound or return) or bank account statements to get a tourist visa. Only thing is there's no triple entry, only double.

Edited by bbi1

Honesty is the best policy. Most genuine tourists have a return ticket home for a particular date.

The op is a about a triple entry tourist visa.

Why would you want to fly fly home after every entry

That would make the whole idea of double or triple entry pointless.

Interesting .....

I have a Finnish friend who visits Thailand twice a year.

He does not have to prove a return ticket to secure a visa or to board the plane ...........

If it is a package trip, he does not need to apply for a visa (Visa exempt 30days). For a proper Visa, he will still need to produce the tickets, since the embassy won't even start to process the papers without all of the required items presented. (see link I posted earlier)

Honesty is the best policy. Most genuine tourists have a return ticket home for a particular date.

Not correct.

Actually that word "most" makes his statement probably technically correct. What it fails to recognize is that many travelers wish to travel on a flexible schedule, and do not know in advance how long they will spend in any particular country.

• 2 weeks later...

just to update on this matter, i travelled from heathrow on a one way ticket and wasnt asked to provide proof of a return ticket at heathrow or bangkok.

Did you had a visa?

If yes, you can travel as you please.

If not, you may asked or not be, but if you are asked and don't have an outgoing ticket, airline can deny boarding and they are in the right.

Edited by paz