Police investigating 5 men for eating cat meat in Isaan

webfact

Police Investigating 5 Men for Eating Cat Meat in NE Thailand
By Khaosod English

14358216261435821739l.jpg
Pol.Lt.Col. Yongyuth Pinitkarn questioning the five men at Lahansai Police Station in Buriram, 1 July 2015.

BURIRAM — Five men in Buriram province are being investigated for violating Thailand's animal welfare act after posting photos on social media of themselves preparing and eating cat meat.

Police said an animal rights group, called Watch Dog Thailand (WDT), filed a complaint accusing the five men of violating the animal cruelty law, which was passed last year and is the first legislation of its kind in Thailand.

The law does not explicitly ban eating cats, but does stipulate in vague terms that only animals which are “raised to be eaten” can be slaughtered for that purpose. Violating the law carries up to two years in prison.

Pol.Lt.Col. Yongyuth Pinitkarn, an officer at Lahansai Police Station, said the five men seen in the photos were "invited" to the police station yesterday for questioning.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1435821626

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-07-02

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should be sent to jail just for their culinary choice, cat meat is the worst meat you can

eat, better chow on an old boot that partake in cat's meat dinner...

What does it taste like? biggrin.png

I love cats, I have 2 sleeping on my desk right now. But just as many said about the guys caught with the dog meat in other news: Meat is meat. Unless you're a vegetarian, I don't get how people can think it's ethical to eat certain animals and not other ones. Cuteness seems like a silly reason to select what we do or don't eat.

The law stipulating that we should only eat animals that were raised to be eaten makes alot of sense, but of course it means that we could eat cats and dogs if we raised them to be eaten.

"but does stipulate in vague terms that only animals which are “raised to be eaten” can be slaughtered for that purpose" A double-whammy for the fishermen then? Fish from the sea aren't raised for food are they?

Five men in Buriram province are being investigated for violating Thailand's animal welfare act after posting photos on social media of themselves preparing and eating cat meat. Perhaps they had nothing else to eat and the rats were all gone. It doesn't say they tortured the cat, just preparing, so skinning, gutting etc. Whilst it may not be every ones taste, they also eat bugs up there so I guess anything goes.

I've eaten cat meat, wild cats, given by friends on southern islands, very spicy, they told me afterwards.. I've eaten birds, tough I love birds. Friends want to roast my rabbit and, and.. What's the fuss about this story, diverting people from real matters?

In Isaan eating cat and dog meat is nothing new.......why all the fuss ? As long as don't serve this to me all is ok...?????

The problem is that eating cats and dogs turns into a business and then peoples' pets start to disappear. Why the fuss? Same as when buffaloes and cows were disappearing overnight around here. I believe one guy was shot and buried.

Have you seen the state of the chickens in this country? Most of the chickens I have seen look like they are survivors of a nuclear attack, and these guys are in trouble for violating animal cruelty laws? I don't get it...besides, most of the cats I have seen here look like you would be doing them a favor if you ate them. I like animals just fine, and am quite fond of my dog, but they are still just animals. ( * no animals were harmed during the making of this message)

The law does not explicitly ban eating cats, but does stipulate in vague terms that only animals which are “raised to be eaten” can be slaughtered for that purpose.

So no more fish and frogs on the menu.

They should be sent to jail just for their culinary choice, cat meat is the worst meat you can

It is disgusting!

Not the cat meat itself but the fact that they eat it...

Though not confirmed if it's true but I heard from an elderly before; killing cats and eating their meat brings bad luck.

I just inquired about eating cats from the resident good/bad luck expert, the gf. She said it is very bad luck to eat a cat but doesn't know what type of bad luck it would cause. Same type of answer I get when I ask her in her forty eight years has she known anyone that has seen a ghost. "No but I know there are ghosts."

Cat meat tastes like rabbit. If you prepare it with white wine and garlic, you would not be able to tell the difference. Here is a recipe: http://greekfood.about.com/od/maindishes/r/kouneli_aspri.htm