Bangkok cabbies the third worst, says UK taxi rating site

webfact

BKK cabbies the third worst, says UK taxi rating site
The Star
Asia News Network

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok minicab drivers are gaining international recognition - or rather, infamy - for lack of knowledge in the direction.

British taxi comparison site LondonCabs.co.uk has placed Bangkok taxi drivers at the third of a list comparing the 10 worst taxi drivers across the globe.

They came in third in the list for drivers getting lost and not knowing the way.

Malaysian taxi drivers are at the top of the list for their bad attitude.

"Drivers from Kuala Lumpur are well known for overcharging clients and detouring.

"Even though they are supposed to charge by the meter, many drivers refuse from doing so," said LondonCabs.

"The best advice is to simply wait for another vehicle if the driver resists using the meter," it said.

The article further described taxis in Kuala Lumpur as "rather old and in poor condition".

Rome’s taxi drivers came in second after Kuala Lumpur for their exorbitant rates and rudeness.

"Most people cannot even find a vehicle available in Rome. Cars are scarce and the drivers are often rude and difficult to deal with," said LondonCabs.

"If it’s raining, expect to pay double or triple the price for a vehicle in Rome," it added.

Other cities that made the list were Paris, New York, Mumbai, Zurich, Cairo, Shanghai and Moscow.

LondonCabs said the 10 places listed had taxis that "you may be better off avoiding if you want to have a positive and uplifting transportation experience".

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/KL-cabbies-the-worst-says-UK-taxi-rating-site-30263606.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-02

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bkk cabbies are more or less part of the folklore. Same as everywhere there's good and bad. Much more bad at specific places. Then again prices are much lower than in western countries. Farangs should have other matters to complain about.

Before meters and the BTS, every single trip had to be a negotiation over the fare....a complete pain but usually if not always, good natured haggling. It's only in the last 15 or 20 years that the element of menace has crept in.

Most taxis I have taken over the years in Bangkok have been OK.

Not much to complain about.

and as regards these cities quoted in OP:

Paris, New York, Mumbai, Zurich, Cairo, Shanghai and Moscow

paris, new york, zurich, cairo has never been a problem, moscow sometimes a bit problematic, mumbai/shanghai wouldn't know

Being farang speaking Thai I like Bangkok cabs they are always available. I might upgrade to a smart phone just to call Grab Taxi..Taxi service has improved all over the world due to pressure from app.hailed indi ride share cars. .Bangkok cabs face a 6000 thb fine from police if they don't put on the meter.In certain what I call 'party zones' of city you may get in a bozo cab if there is a incident about meter just get out! You got about 160000 optional taxis in traffic looking for fares.Don't worry be Happy.

3rd worst maybe, but probably the 3rd cheapest. I can't believe it's still a 35 baht flag-drop fee the same as it was when I first visited Thailand 10 years ago. Look at it this way, you could book a chauffeur-driven Toyota Camry from Bangkok to Pattaya for 1,800baht - how far would that get you in a black cab across London?

Before meters and the BTS, every single trip had to be a negotiation over the fare....a complete pain but usually if not always, good natured haggling. It's only in the last 15 or 20 years that the element of menace has crept in.

I can remember that negotiation process. As soon as you spoke to the driver he would sum you up as being an expat or tourist by quoting based on what he thought of you and quote accordingly . Sometimes the starting price which was sometimes plain ridiculous, but if he thought you knew your way around or were with a Thai you would get a pretty accurate quote and after a few times you would learn what a good quote was. If you laughed at the price it would usually fall by two thirds straight away .

Rarely have issues over 5+ years. I get the tourist area cabbie mindset and know I'll go through a couple before I get a ride if I'm in area.

From airport to my home in US, which is about 15 miles, the price has spiked to over $ 80 and the cabbies expect a commensurate tip in the 10-15% range. I pay it but relish in the idea of getting back here where the highest fare is but a pittance to what I pay there. Don't even want to talk about Chicago, Boston, NYC or SFO. Truly "highway robbery".

Not surprising really. I think the other bad ones are the mainland Chinese taxi drivers who always say that they know where you are going then 110 m down the road stop to ask directions of a passer by!

The best have to be the South Koreans who all have a GPS in their cars. You give them the phone number of where you are going and they input it to the GPS. You can then see exactly where you are going on the screen.

"for lack of knowledge in the direction."

This just in - The Star's news reporters among the worst in grammar.

I NEVER go grammar Nazi on a TV member (unless provoked), but these people make their living putting together words . . .

who cares what london hacks have to say? most certainly not me.

now, lets see a value for money comaprison

If you don't care, why comment?

All these surveys have a source so why Mr Hoohaa could care less yet needs to comment I wonder too.

Seems an interesting result and if some remedial effort comes of it well and good.

I am expecting a 'driver returns forgotten money to passenger' report tomorrow!

Edited by jacko45k

I'm surprised at the amount of comment and controversy this topic regularly generates here. Until recent years I had never seen or heard such a volume of complaint, barring the odd anecdotal story. Now, perhaps because farangs are more prone to voice their dissatisfactions, and there are twenty, thirty or fifty times as many of them compared to thirty years ago, it seems an ongoing gripe.

Certainly, in all these years, and even today, I have had but one complaint myself, and that was not with a taxi- but a tuktuk-driver, who because he was wired on ya ba saw fit to threaten me with a two-by-four.

In general I find Bangkok taxi drivers courteous, willing to help and honest. Of course knowing some of the language and a good deal of the geography helps, and cuts down on drivers' temptations to deviate, but I for one find it ironic that the report cited above comes from London, of all places - that home of famously honest, affable, unopinionated and affordable black cabs.

Never really had a bad experience with a Bangkok taxi in fact have had some very good experiences with them. Howevr, it is true that most drivers dont know many places so you end up guiding them. If a taxi, and i have only had one in the last 5 years, doesnt turn on the meter I tell him I will give him so much which i know is the norm for the trip. If he doesnt like it I tell him to stop and get out of the cab but then I dont give him anything.

No meter the trip never existed.