Bangkok cabbies the third worst, says UK taxi rating site

webfact

I started having problems with Bangkok Cabs back in 2006. Now I avoid taking them altogether. I have gotten pretty good at the Swamp Don Mueng Transfer bus, the A1 from DM to BTS, MRT or Moechit. Plus the rail link to the swamp from downtown and of course the bus routes.

Want to have a good trip. Stay away from them

Although yes they make for a good story. I opened the door and jumped from a slow moving cab near siam square when it became apparent the driver had no clue where I wanted to go (I was speaking Thai), but did not want to lose a fare.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok has some of the cheapest taxi fares, for a major city, in the World. http://www.priceoftravel.com/555/world-taxi-prices-what-a-3-kilometer-ride-costs-in-72-big-cities/

You get what you pay for so I'm very satisfied with the taxi service in Bangkok.

Would agree with that- never had a problem fares 200 or 300 baht.

The last taxi I had in London - cost £38 or 1,900 baht

It used to be terrible in Bangkok, now no complaints. Haven't seen a non-metered cab in a long time and the drivers have been courteous.

Lots of taxis if a problem get another, somebody is always testing the system.

Being farang speaking Thai I like Bangkok cabs they are always available. I might upgrade to a smart phone just to call Grab Taxi..Taxi service has improved all over the world due to pressure from app.hailed indi ride share cars. .Bangkok cabs face a 6000 thb fine from police if they don't put on the meter.In certain what I call 'party zones' of city you may get in a bozo cab if there is a incident about meter just get out! You got about 160000 optional taxis in traffic looking for fares.Don't worry be Happy.

Ha 6000 hahahahah oh really.

Tell the one who asked 400 baht from Baiyoke tower to On nut, fare should be about 140 max, only reason we had to use him I had my 87 year old Mother with me

Interesting the article goes into detail about the bad behaviors of the first two worst cities but not the third, the one mentioned in the headline - Bangkok. Leaving people on freeways should be worth some demerits.

Edited by likeaking

Bangkok has some of the cheapest taxi fares, for a major city, in the World. http://www.priceoftravel.com/555/world-taxi-prices-what-a-3-kilometer-ride-costs-in-72-big-cities/

You get what you pay for so I'm very satisfied with the taxi service in Bangkok.

Would agree with that- never had a problem fares 200 or 300 baht.

The last taxi I had in London - cost £38 or 1,900 baht

I live 8 kilometers from the international airport in Dallas and it's 80% freeway to my place. Price Bt. 2,000 plus Bt. 200 - 300 tip. The cabs/cabbies in Dallas are not 10 times nicer, either.

i've had my fair share of angry moments towards bangkok cabbies, but for the 35 baht flag down rate, it's very reasonable. where else can you find cabbies that round down fares (91 baht on the meter and cabby only charges 90)? in most places, the fares get rounded up!

who cares what london hacks have to say? most certainly not me.

now, lets see a value for money comaprison

Being from London I would like to help you with a value for money comparison but, unfortunately, I have rarely ever been able to afford to take a London Taxi anywhere, and certainly NEVER from a major London airport into the centre of town!

I'm interested in what the best trained "Cabbies" in the world have to say about these BKK Cowboys....

Actually , the problem with the survey was , that it was done by the English speaking folks . I speak some Thai , and usually do know where I am going to, so it is perfectly nice . Bkk cabbies are geographically challenged in general, but it is a big city ! Coming from Budapest Hungary , same story there, foreigners used to get into all sorts of troubles that local lingo speakers wouldn't !

Guess if Chinese would've done the same survey, London cabbies could've come in the bottom , just because they wouldn't understand the destination of the passenger.. Which is often the case here ... One thing agreed ; Kuala Lumpur taxis are mostly scumbags, without any language barriers !

Edited by asiaworld

While I live in Vietnam I spend a good deal of time in BKK. I have a small modest condo in Ramkhamhaeng near the Bang Kapi Mall. I never have any problem with the cabbies travelling around my area or to go to the airport. I give them directions to home in Thai and they know immediately that I am expat. Sukhumvit around Soi 4 is another story altogether.

Around the world cabbies are at the center of many complaints when it comes to public

transportation. Well done BKK for being third worst. If they had included Phuket, BKK

would have been pushed back to 4th place with Phuket clearly the holder of top spot. tongue.png

3rd worst maybe, but probably the 3rd cheapest. I can't believe it's still a 35 baht flag-drop fee the same as it was when I first visited Thailand 10 years ago. Look at it this way, you could book a chauffeur-driven Toyota Camry from Bangkok to Pattaya for 1,800baht - how far would that get you in a black cab across London?

Had a rushed visit to UK two years ago, did not arrange transport from airport to home. Fare by London black cab for the 120km journey was quoted at 18,000 baht. He took pity on me as I could only get 10,000 baht out of the ATM and did it for that.

compared to phuket they are great value.

a 500m tuk tuk ride for a family of 4 will cost the minimum charge of 200 baht a head. thats 800 baht for no minimum distance !!

dearest transport in the world !!

london black cabs are aound 6 quid (250 baht) when you jump in, then around a quid (50 baht) a kilometer for up to 5 people.

taxi drivers all over the world are the vermon of the service industry with very few exceptions

When I lived in bkk I used taxis almost every day. 90% of the time there was no problem. However if it was raining or near rush hour it was really difficult to get a taxi. Oh and one time I had a driver chase me down the street with a tire iron. Long story but actually kind of funny in hindsight.

There is an express train that leaves from the KL (Kuala Lumpur) airport every 30 minutes (or less during peak hours). The train costs at least one-third the cost of the taxi fare, the ride is smooth, the coaches clean and appear new. No hassles and no rude drivers.

Sometimes people should consider the excellent public transportation that is available and not always insist upon using cars.

This kind of survey is very subjective. Sadly the London cabbie standard has gone down a lot. There is no age limit. The driver of the cab we took on arrival on Euro train from Paris turned out to be a cantankerous octogenarian who hated practically everyone driving on the road! Also the cab drivers do not help you with the luggage (they are not supposed to do so). It's certainly not an "uplifting" transportation experience! Must be pretty bad for the unwary tourists. Maybe it's because traffic is pretty bad in the Westend. The cab drivers around Hampsted Heath are more relaxed and fun to talk with! Surprising that Paris is included in the list. Our experience has always been good. The problem in Paris are waiters not cab drivers!

I travel a lot on my Consulting Business. never done London or Rome, but agree with the rest. The best taxis are in Tokyo, although expensive there very clean and drivers are professional.

Taipei is my second choice.

The best thing about BKK Cabbies us there are cheap. I do notice they get lost and take the long way more since the new regulation and fare rates !!

If you don't care, why comment?

Are you an ex London cabbie per chance? He makes a good point of asking for a money comparison. I would sooner travel 5 miles in a Bangkok taxi than the rip off London equivalent. Yeah, who cares what London cabbies say!

Agree. In fact I think you often get a better value here. Many are good, friendly nice guys.

I reckon, over 25 years, IME, the "bad" ones would probably less than 5% I've taken. But of course, I remember them far more.

As someone who works with bangkok taxis daily, i actually have to speak to about 10 cab divers everyday to give directions - i can assure you THEY ARE THAT BAD! A Lot will even ask me if i deliver your customer will you pay me commission? aside from the fact the customer got in the taxi of their own accord and told them where to go, they really are scum... if they dont know the way to a destination they act like its my fault... what happened to radios in taxis where they radio the office to ask for directions if they didnt know the way. and why do absolutely none of them even have a GPS. the most retarded taxis ever in my book!

Edited by djlest