Lack of service from an insurance company -- what to do?

roger1999

It is very common -- in fact usual -- in Thailand for emails in English not to be replied to. I think what often happens is that the person who first receives them (often a low ranking clerk) just deletes them. In my experience this is the norm here just about everywhere, even hospitals and the like. So one does need to call. (Get one of those cheap international call cards, in big cities the newstands etc carry them).

Yesterday was indeed a holiday here and all businesses closed.

Unless your problem is related to a pre-existing condition, it would likely be covered. Your biggest problem is your very low level of cover. Stay out of ERs for sure and seek care at the least expensive facility you can.

The only other possible hitch I can think of is that the Walgreen nurse service might not be considered a "doctor's fee" but there will be no sorting that out by phone as a Thai company will be totally unfamiliar with this sort of care. It will likely depend on how the receipt looks. Anyhow that cost was small it is the upcoming tests and possible treatment to worry about.

Personally for travel insurance I use World Nomads (which is issued by BUPA UK). I just bought one month of US $5 million coverage (including the USA) for less than $150, and I'm on the wrong side of 60. Would be less if younger. Their help line is 24/7 based in the UK.

It is very common -- in fact usual -- in Thailand for emails in English not to be replied to. I think what often happens is that the person who first receives them (often a low ranking clerk) just deletes them. In my experience this is the norm here just about everywhere, even hospitals and the like. So one does need to call. (Get one of those cheap international call cards, in big cities the newstands etc carry them).

Yesterday was indeed a holiday here and all businesses closed.

Unless your problem is related to a pre-existing condition, it would likely be covered. Your biggest problem is your very low level of cover. Stay out of ERs for sure and seek care at the least expensive facility you can.

The only other possible hitch I can think of is that the Walgreen nurse service might not be considered a "doctor's fee" but there will be no sorting that out by phone as a Thai company will be totally unfamiliar with this sort of care. It will likely depend on how the receipt looks. Anyhow that cost was small it is the upcoming tests and possible treatment to worry about.

Personally for travel insurance I use World Nomads (which is issued by BUPA UK). I just bought one month of US $5 million coverage (including the USA) for less than $150, and I'm on the wrong side of 60. Would be less if younger. Their help line is 24/7 based in the UK.

Citizenship can have a large impact on premiums. It does appear to be a good deal for Brits visiting the US, but I was just quoted 180 usd for a US citizen to visit Thailand for 30 days (early 50s)...and the coverage is only 100,000 USD for hospital. An American visiting the US needs an "STM." There are several out there, www.ehealthinsurance.com Next.

Actually depends not on citizenship but country of permanent residence, which for many of us is a totally different matter.

Why it varies with this, when the coverage is only for while you are away, I can't figure out. But indeed it does.

US $100,000 cover in Thailand = 3.3 million baht, will be enough unless a really catastrophic event and in the very most expensive private hospitals.

Actually depends not on citizenship but country of permanent residence, which for many of us is a totally different matter.

Why it varies with this, when the coverage is only for while you are away, I can't figure out. But indeed it does.

US $100,000 cover in Thailand = 3.3 million baht, will be enough unless a really catastrophic event and in the very most expensive private hospitals.

For those who are US Citizens, country of permanent residence is always the US. It's in the fine print. Even if you lived here for 20 years, and were trying to insure to visit the US; they will not cover you as a Thai resident.

https://quote.hccmis.com/Content/docs/PolicyHelp.htm#eligreq

Also, World Nomads will not insure you if you have already started your trip. For US Citizens, the coverage even varies by your home state, and the companies vary, also.

Edited by bangmai

Thanks for bringing that to my attention as I leave for the US in a week!!!

I have emailed World Nomads just to confirm and meanwhile scouting out other possibilities.

As this thread is in no way Chiang Mai specific, and includes information of relevance to tall TV members, moving it to the Insurance Forum.

That Global Nomad for UK citizens visiting the US is very reasonable, although it would be nice to see the ratings. But, basically, they know they can just fly you back to the UK, and NHS will foot the bill, so their exposure is much more limited.

Did you read the fine print.... welcome to the real world of Thailand. You are no longer in OZ, buddy.. majority of the policy you buy from Thailand at 2-4 thousand in Baht. is normally pay first get the bill certified paid and you might get it back? Many policies excludes US?

That Global Nomad for UK citizens visiting the US is very reasonable, although it would be nice to see the ratings. But, basically, they know they can just fly you back to the UK, and NHS will foot the bill, so their exposure is much more limited.

wherever you are from they pay only for urgent care while abroad and repatriation costs. So I find it hard to understand the logic. Also costs are equally low for residents of some other countries....?